The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasps

+3
wasps
Hound_of_Harrow
Bombardier
7 posters

Go down

Wasps Empty Wasps

Post by Bombardier Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:15 pm

Just what is going on at wasps.

OK this may be jumping the gun but wasps seem to finally have gotten their act together.
Is there a new resurgence or a minor upturn in fortunes?

I would be inclined to think that the upturn has arrived in any other season but there is the overriding feeling that the two big clubs of last season been undone by world cup absentees.

The club has seen some major changes with a substantial influx of players and a new tinge to the coaching team but overall the quality of the squad is not at top 4 level. With some senior players the better players in the squad seem to be young newcomers such as launchberry and wade.

Will this be a team of the future? is a new ethos and refreshed coaching team going to make up for lack of quality? is the status quo going to return at the end of the world cup?

Bombardier

Back to top Go down

Wasps Empty Re: Wasps

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:02 pm

New head coach and new signings. The club needed freshening up. By all accounts Dai Young has got the spirit back in the players, who are responding well to the new coaching team.

Nicky Robinson has been very good so far overall. Wentzel has improved what was an awful line out, alongside Launchberry. Poff is a a very astute 7 and Chris Bell is doing well alongside Flutey. The scrum is still an issue and most Wasps fans want Castex to start at
loose head. Southwell does not drop the ball at full back (so far!).

The team are doing the basics well and are looking to get the ball wide - with Varndell and Wade on the wings why wouldn't we Smile

Good start, but we'll see what happens when teams are back to full strength. Credit to Tigers on Sunday; they have a good squad and will be in the mix come April/May.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:22 pm

Sarries and Leicester may be heavily depleted at the moment, but even those depleted teams would have taken us to the cleaners last season.

Even with most of their pack missing, the Leicester scrum is still a fairly solid machine. Yet, practically for the first time in recent memory, we matched them.
That is definitely something new.... admittedly, Sarries absolutely annihilated us the week before.

Good pace on the wings, good depth at centre, and our most potent weapon (Simmo) still to come back.

All in all, I'm a lot more confident than I was last season

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm

"All in all, I'm a lot more confident than I was last season"

Me too thumbsup

If England don't play Simpson in this World Cup, I'll be livid that we've lost him for a good bit of the season. Jonno hasn't been keen to entrust him so far in the warm up games.

ALLEZ!!

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:New head coach and new signings. The club needed freshening up. By all accounts Dai Young has got the spirit back in the players, who are responding well to the new coaching team.

Nicky Robinson has been very good so far overall. Wentzel has improved what was an awful line out, alongside Launchberry. Poff is a a very astute 7 and Chris Bell is doing well alongside Flutey. The scrum is still an issue and most Wasps fans want Castex to start at
loose head. Southwell does not drop the ball at full back (so far!).

The team are doing the basics well and are looking to get the ball wide - with Varndell and Wade on the wings why wouldn't we Smile

Good start, but we'll see what happens when teams are back to full strength. Credit to Tigers on Sunday; they have a good squad and will be in the mix come April/May.

TBH, Hound Dog, I don't think Southwell will let you down - he's always been a good club player, he was well respected at Stade F as far as I know OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

Wasps have the advantage of having a fresh start with a new coach,new impetus. They are still an unknown quantity in a way. Bit like Exeter were last season. In contrast everyone knows what to expect when playing Saracens and Leicester.

I feel that Wasps have been fortunate in playing Saracens and Leicester at the right time. Saracens have been notoriously rusty in their first game - losing 2 out of 11 double headers. You wouldn't expect them to play that badly again.

Leicester are particularly missing a lot of players.

Have to give credit to Wasps for winning those two games regardless of circumstances though.

I think we'll have to wait and see if it just a minor upturn in fortunes.

A HC qualification spot should be your main target as you continue to rebuild.

What does Wasps' fixture list look like?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

Beshocked - there have only been 8 double headers. They started in 2004.

Our fixtures should be the same as everyone else's over the course of the season Wink

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Coming up is Sale (H) Chiefs (A) Falcons (A).

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

Tis indeed a good start. Found something out recently; that Joe Launchbury went to the same school I did, albeit some years after I left Yahoo

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 14 Sep 2011, 7:44 pm

It's a very positive start & I don't think the wins to date should be underestimated as Wasps are missing players through WC & injury too.

The scrum was a lot more solid against the Tigers but I still think there is work to do there personally.
A great step forward this season though.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:46 pm

Although it's a terrible shame not having Simpson around at the moment, it does mean that our 2nd / 3rd choice scrum halves are getting some very very good experience.
and they're currently getting experience in a winning team.

Hopefully, even if he doesn't play, Simpson can pick up some good 'big match' experiences from just being around the squad etc and help to improve his overall game.

The aim is for this squad of players to go on to play in lots of big matches.
Heineken Cup qualification this season will mean that the entire squad need to be comfortable playing in important knockout matches (even group stages of HC are like knockouts a lot of the time)

It was something that the Wasps squad from nearly 10 years ago knew all about, and I have no doubt in my mind that those experiences led the team to 'turn it on' during the 2007 HEC final against a superior Leicester team.

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down