The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medal comps- random draw, Div 1a nd 2 or out with similar Handicaps?

+8
barragan
oldparwin
drive4show
Maverick
Davie
super_realist
Rossa
matelot golfer
12 posters

Go down

Medal comps- random draw, Div 1a nd 2 or out with similar Handicaps? Empty Medal comps- random draw, Div 1a nd 2 or out with similar Handicaps?

Post by matelot golfer Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

All. What are your preferances for Medal Comps? My club seems to do a random draw (with one or two exceptions!!) for all comps which I do not have a problem with as it is a nice way to meet the other and new members. However, I have found Medal Rounds can be frustrating if you are out with people playing off vastly differing handicaps. Not only do I find it difficult for the low handicappers whos rythmn can be broken looking for balls, but also it is sometimes appears to be intimidating for those with higher handicaps. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Medal comps- random draw, Div 1a nd 2 or out with similar Handicaps? Empty Re: Medal comps- random draw, Div 1a nd 2 or out with similar Handicaps?

Post by Rossa Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

We have 3 divs,

1 - 0-7
2 - 7-14
3 - 14-28

In summer, 1 and 2 play together in the medal, in the winter, there are 3 separate ones, presumably due to the amount of daylight available.

Works well, you just add your name to a sheet, which means you can play with people you don't know, or with mates...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Medal comps- random draw, Div 1a nd 2 or out with similar Handicaps? Empty Re: Medal comps- random draw, Div 1a nd 2 or out with similar Handicaps?

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

Personally I dislike being out with choppers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

We have divisions A, B and C

A is scratch to 8(ish) - not sure exactly
B is 8 to 17
C is 17 and above

Weekend medals are A and B grouped together (though there are winners in both divisions). C medals are played separately. All medals are drawn

Stableford comps and midweek medals (where the entry list is smaller) are "open division" and still drawn comps.

Seems to work quite well

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

I've heard that OP cheats when he's allowed to go out with his mates though. Wink

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

Divisions wise there are 3 competiton divisions but in terms of how the draw is done it's split into 2.

0-12 so cat 1 and cat 2
13-28 Cat 3 & Cat 4

this is done to prevent any arguments, amongst members that like SR say they don't like playing with Choppers. Also means people always get to play with someone better so get to feel that they are competing against better players.

Also means guys around the 14 mark try their hardest to get to cat 2 to gain a promotion of sorts to playing with even better players. Gets quite competitive

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:00 pm

For normal medals/stablefords, it's down to the individuals to book their own tee time with whoever they want to play with. For the bigger comps, groups are generally drawn in handicap order with the lower guys going off first.

I like to set my alarm early for those days Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:40 pm

I always book my tee time with my mates there are between 16 to 21 of us, names into a hat and 3 balls drawn out, our handicap ranges from 4 to 21, but as we all are mates, it does not matter who we are drawn with, we always play for money, so golf rules strictly adhered to. I think one of us has won 1 medal comp in the last 12 months, but to be honest we play for the money and the bragging rights that go with it.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

ours is books with your mates, which is fine. personally i'd prefer to have the opportunity to mix it more often with golfers who are of a similar ability to myself or better.

at my away club its all done by draw, pairings in medals are supposedly done by handicap, and other trophies are mixed. however, with one exception, i don't think i've played with anyone below double figures this year. makes me a little glum. i was particularly irritated to be the only cat 1 not paired up with other cat 1s in the club champs... i was out with a 11 and a 13 handicapper, not the best environment to get your scratchy boots on.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

Ban bam - I don't see why playing with 11 and 13 handicappers would be such a hardship.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:40 pm

We nominate an early, middle or late tee-off time. The draw is made and then tweaked before it's published so that low handicappers don't go out with high handicappers.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

merc
its difficult to stay in the mindset of trying to shoot 4 or 5 over par or better over 36 holes when your partners are shooting approximately 20-30 over par. dont find it so bad over 18 holes but its tough trying to constantly re-inspire yourself over a longer period. much easier when your partners are popping in birdies regularly.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

My main club, medals you can play with who you like, there are also fairly frequent drawn events where you're in a 3-ball with others of a similar handicap (within 2-3 shots).

At my other club all medals/drawn events are a totally random draw... a +1 can be out with a 10 and a 24.

Generally speaking I prefer to play with lower handicappers but I don't mind what handicap they are if they are considerate and good company.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 15 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

Quite happy playing with my mates as we are allowed too at my club. Our handicaps are 4 to 10 so fine in that respect and competitive too.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by bluefoxgolf Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:07 am

Our main/board comps are all drawn, medals are play with your mates.

Our draws are complately random, for those low handiicapplayers who say that they should only play with players of a similar ability, I would say that keeping your concentration in the face of adversaty is part of the challenge of the game. The random draw also results in more respect for players of differing abilities and a reduction in complaints about players playing from "bandit" handicaps.

bluefoxgolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down