The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tigers v Falcons

+2
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
6 posters

Go down

Tigers v Falcons Empty Tigers v Falcons

Post by LondonTiger Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 am

15 Scott Hamilton
14 Matt Smith
13 Billy Twelvetrees
12 Anthony Allen
11 Niall Morris
10 George Ford
9 James Grindal
1 Boris Stankovich
2 George Chuter (c)
3 Julian White
4 Ed Slater
5 George Skivington
6 Steve Mafi
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Michael Holford
18 Kieran Brookes
19 Graham Kitchener
20 Ben Woods
21 Mickey Young
22 Jeremy Staunton
23 Andy Forsyth

Newcastle Falcons
15 Greg Goosen
14 Luke Fielden
13 Luke Eves
12 James Fitzpatrick
11 Alex Tait
10 Jimmy Gopperth
9 Chris Pilgrim
1 Grant Shiells
2 Rob Vickers
3 Ashley Wells
4 James Hudson
5 Tim Swinson
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch
8 Richard Mayhew

Replacements
16 Joe Graham
17 Darren Fearn
18 James Hall
19 Glen Townson
20 Ally Hogg
21 Jordi Pasqualin
22 Rikki Sheriffe
23 Tom Catterick

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Tigers v Falcons Empty Re: Tigers v Falcons

Post by LondonTiger Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 am

Injury prevents Matthew Tait returning to one of his previous clubs. However Tigers do include 3 former Falcon Academy graduates on the bench in Woods, Young & Brookes.

The old man Julian White returns, relegating Kieran Brookes to the bench, as Tigers look to improve what has been faltering set pieces. Interestingly Tom Youngs replaces Rob Hawkins as back up hooker.

With both teams looking for their first win of the season I hope that Tigers can continue to score tries, while cutting out the silly penalties that Falcons points machine, Jimmy Gopperth would enjoy.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:39 am

Sadly there is little difference who is on the bench as replacement hooker as they will not get on. Which is a shame as tigers fast paced game would suit the dynamic Tom Youngs better than Chuter.

Big Jules should help sort out the dodgey scrum and Waldrom will give more go forward to the backrow. Hopefully a much improved performance is on the cards.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:29 pm

I'd like to see them switch 36 & Allen round, I think Allen's running style is better suited to OC than 36 (his 2 tries last week nonwithstanding, besides neither were from ball with a traditionally aligned backline, indeed one of them was from him pushing across to follow one of Ford's breaks), and you'd get more out of 36's distribution and kicking from IC (which I think would assist Ford more).

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:55 pm

That makes sense JP.

However, once WC players are back - how about a Kiwi style set up - With Manu at IC ala Nonu & SBW, and 36 taking the Conrad Smith role at OC? This opens up all sorts of attacking options, with Manu looking to bang it up and offload - or used as a dummy freeing up 35 and Alesana.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Phew!

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:12 pm

What an intense match! How many times did that lead change hands?

Gutted for Falcons but fair play Tigers, they knew exactly what they needed to do, even if they struggled to do it. Ford had a good match and i'd expect Young to start soon.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:56 am

Aye, the service provided by Grindal is woeful - and rather than his experience helping Ford, he is causing problems.

36's goal kicking was not good and he does seem to have days like that, not sure why Ford is not kicking.

The best thing about having Young and Ford is that they play a very similar style to Youngs and Flood, so can switch in without disrupting the team pattern (grindal and Staunton however.....)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:14 am

I am a Tigers fan and I was at the match. Poor crowd really, not sure of the attendance but Tigers supporters weren't in a minority I can tell you.

Lets be honest here, the ref helped Tigers out a lot. Some of his decisions were baffling, like bringing back Waldrom to allow Tigers to retake after he had elected to take a tap penalty and then knocked on...

I was happy to take the result though, Falcons can feel agrieved however, they didn't get the rub of the officiating green...

Finally, there was an almost constant chorus of abuse coming from the South Stand directed at Leicester players. As soon as one went down, loud and unpleasant jibes would eminate from some Geordie who wouldn't dare say anything like it to the player's face. Pathetic.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 am

I couldn't get there as I had 'taxi' duties for kids and missus - I didn't feel too bad about it as usually we get a good thumping - but when I did find the courage to put the teletext on at fourish got a pleasant suprise!. Then a bit later a downer...then a bit later on another pleasant suprise.

Quick bit counting using my watch, my fingers and toes and calculated the game must be over - Falcons must have won! However the magic R would not replace the dratted L, so the game must still be going on?

I then had to go and do a bit more taxi work (missus and mother in law) and tried to get the match on the radio, hah, get rugby commentry in the NE when theres a footy game just finished - no freekin chance, even BBC Radio Newcastle had no mention, just a fans forum about the Magpies recently finished game.

Finally got back and switched on the teletext just to confirm the result.

Gutted!

Great White, I'm not going to apologise for those dickheads, but it's a shame that they spoilt your enjoyment. I'm a North Stand supporter and I think we are a much more discerning bunch than the rabble in the South Stand. As for the attendance - well its a minority sport up here and their recent form has put a lot of the fringe off. Most will watch succesful teams, most will watch entertaining teams, but if there are not many that would watch a team getting thumped week in week out and playing boring rugby to boot. (pun intentional)
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:05 am

No worries mate, i've been to KP a few times now and enjoy the experience, and the knobbers did appear to be in the minority. Love standing on the East Terrace, get very close to the players and the match.

The attendences should be of concern. Times gone by, Falcons v Tigers was a sell out, and as Alan Tait said on the local news on Thursday, if you want professional rugby in the NE, then the fans are going to have to get out and support it.

I tell you what though, if Falcons loose Gopperth, God help you.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down