The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decisions/ Results from last nights card

+8
The Galveston Giant
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
BALTIMORA
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Money Man
AlexHuckerby
coxy0001
Adam D
12 posters

Go down

If the positions were reversed, would Ortiz have been disqualified?

Decisions/ Results from last nights card Vote_lcap52%Decisions/ Results from last nights card Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 11 ]
Decisions/ Results from last nights card Vote_lcap14%Decisions/ Results from last nights card Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Decisions/ Results from last nights card Vote_lcap33%Decisions/ Results from last nights card Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 21

Decisions/ Results from last nights card Empty Decisions/ Results from last nights card

Post by Adam D Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:29 am

I watched the whole card with the dozen or so who stayed up with me and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

However, I have 1 question that I would like to discuss that is slightly different to the other Mayweather threads.

The first bout featured a Mayweather protoge - Jessie Vargas.

Now for those who didnt see the fight, he has been put forward by Mayweather as a possible opponent for AMir Khan. However, anyone who watched the fight will tell you he wasnt particularly good. In fact, the majority of people who watched the ten rounds had him losing.

The final result was a split decision with one ref giving him a win by 3 rounds, even after he had been docked one point in a round!

Many were saying that due to his connections with Mayweather, he was unlikely to lose the decision - most were right.

Which leads me to the main event and "money" Mayweather.

We all have our views on what happened and whether it was legal, who was to blame and the incompetence of the ref.

But bearing in mind the money generated and who was the "star" of this show, my question is this.

If the roles had been reversed, and Ortiz had taken the cheap shot, knocking out Mayweather and his perfect record in the process, would Ortiz have been given the win or disqualified?

Lets hear your thoughts.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Decisions/ Results from last nights card Empty Re: Decisions/ Results from last nights card

Post by coxy0001 Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:41 am

Am extremely bleary eyed and just watched the big fight.

FMJ can be accused of having zero sportsmanship and opportunistic, but having seen the post fight summary on the ring Cortez did apparently give orders to box again.

Ortiz was in the process of losing his head as he couldn't land, he'd have probably taken the DQ route out anyway.

And i don't think FMJ would ever let himself get hit in such fashion... just too smart

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Decisions/ Results from last nights card Empty Re: Decisions/ Results from last nights card

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:50 am

boxing wasnt the question though was it coxy...
but i dont see why ortiz wouldnt get the decision and see no evidence as to why not you can make up your own conspiracy theories however!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:58 am

Alex

I don't particularly care for the question as Floyd would never be caught in such a way.

Just seen the post fight interviews though, shame Floyd didn't crack Merchant into an overdue grave!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:07 am

i was only playing with you mate. and yeah it became apparent floyd was never gonna go down unless he was sniped COD style

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Money Man Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:23 am

A no contest going to the scorecards would actually be an impossibility

The Money Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

Did not know that - sorry!

I think that Floyd gets away with the decision that happened because he is "floyd" - Ortiz would have been DQ'd and pilloried

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Money Man Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:39 am

Gets away with what, throwing two perfectly legal shots? Whether it was Floyd or anyone else the result would have been the same, it may have been unsportsmanlike but when the ref says box that's what you do, it's not a tickling contest.

The Money Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:42 am

I am not questioning the legitimacy of the punches but more the power of the Money making machine.

I just feel that if it had been reversed, the mayweather camp would have been all over Cortez and the diddery fool would have DQd Ortiz.

The First fight of the night was a perfect example of a "home" result.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

quality use of a ricky hatton quote money man!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Money Man Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

Cortez has to go by the rule book unlike a count his decision isn't final, one way or another were it reversed Mayweather would not have got the victory.

The Money Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:50 am

It wouldn't happen to floyd ever because he cannot be beaten. 41 have tried and failed.

But seriously, stayed up to watch it and I am so glad I choose too. Great entertainment no matter what anyone says. Controversial endings are what makes boxing forums thrive.

Ortiz deserved everything he got after that headbutt, he could have broke mayweathers jaw. Ortiz should never have been there or anywhere near a boxing ring

"I'm firm but I'm fair"

"and you are also finished"
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

Sorry Cortez should be allowed near a boxin ring...
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:00 am

how old is cortez now seems like hes been around forever

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

I think he's around 70. A quick check tells me he was born in '45.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

retirement age methinks...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

Adam D (Hobo) wrote:Did not know that - sorry!

I think that Floyd gets away with the decision that happened because he is "floyd" - Ortiz would have been DQ'd and pilloried

Absolute nonsense nothing to get away with. Cortez signalled them to box so Ortiz should have been protecting himself. No need for conspiracy theories the problem was Ortiz being very naive. Cortez should have been more aware of what was going on but you can't blame him for Ortiz having his hands by his waist.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

Great night of boxing last night, good to see Primetime going interactive and the forum getting a few mentions, several members also had their comments read out live on air, really enjoyed it.

In the main event Floyd Mayweather gave Victor Ortiz some of his own medicine. Ortiz started well in the first round setting a good pace and landing a few counters, by the end of the second though Mayweather started to take over, the third round saw Ortiz headhunting but still missing badly. The fourth round saw Ortiz trying to step it up as he pushed Mayweather back to the ropes, he decided to go for the headbut though. Ortiz has a point taken away, after Cortez says box on Ortiz cuddles Mayweather again who decides to sucker punch Ortiz with a left hook then straight right, finishing the fight, all the while Ortiz is watching Cortez, who is staring out the ring at the timekeeper. Unsporting from Floyd but he had just been headbutted and Victor should have been protecting himself. Pretty easy night for Floyd and he was even willing to give Larry Merchant his shot after the fight.

In Los Angeles Sual Alvarez continued his rise to the top stopping Alfonso Gomez in the sixth round. After a quiet first round Canelo dropped Gomez with a body shot. Gomez started pushing Canelo back in the second and did quite well, he aslo did well i the third before Canelo started to pick things up in the fourt and fifth. When the sixth started Alvarez seemed to step it up a gear and leave Gomez standing. I t all seemed a bit too easy in the end and you feel he could have stepped it up when he wanted. Next up could be a showdown with fellow Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez or even Miguel Cotto.

Erik Morales made history last nightgiving a beatdown to young Pablo Cesar Cano. The youngster had started well in the first couple of rounds before Morales started to take over. A late push in the seventh wasn't enough for Cano as Morales took back over and stepped it up a gear. The fight was stopped at the end of the tenth with Cano cut bad with two black eyes, his face was a mess.

Jessie Vargas had all the trouble he could handle in tough Josesito Lopez and was lucky to take the victory, i had it a draw in the end myself. Vargas kept tiring badly at the end of each round and Lopez would come on strong. He done well when he decided to jab and move though with Lopez struggling to connect. Vargas was deducted a point in the eighth although it's debatable whether he lost that round since the deduction. Either way he's nowhere near ready for the likes of Amir Khan.

Anthony Crolla had a tough test in Juan Montiel in front of an empty MGM Grand. Crolla boxed well at times. He only managed a split decision but i feel he did enough for a UD like most. Montiel was tough and wasn't shy on using his shoulders and elbows, the judges obviously favoured his aggressive style, good win for Crolla, next up could be Willie Limond for the British Title.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

Where is the option that Mayweather would have weathered it and beaten the carp out of ortiz.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

Hobo has a point, if the tables were turned the Mayweather camp would have caused a riot, Ortiz's outlook was disappointing but maybe he was that way becuase of the headbutt, both actions were dirty but Floyd finished the fight with his.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:37 pm

It's not up to Ortiz when they should behave in a sportsmanlike manner. He got dirty Floyd took advantage of his naivety. Difference is Floyd wouldn't get caught like that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:39 pm

It's not no, i have no problem with the finish, Mayweather and his camp would have had something to say though if it was the other way.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:40 pm

All camps would but most fighters have an excuse when they lose.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

Ortiz's reaction was disappionting but the fight was slipping away fast and he was struggling to land, the headbutt came out of frustration so he should have been ready for some payback from Floyd.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:47 pm

Why the hell was he smiling so much after the fight? I would be gutted!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:53 pm

Yeah seemed like he was happy enough just to be there.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 18 Sep 2011, 6:35 pm

Hi Adam, I know we were quite vocal about it this morning in the chat. On reflection the punch was, technically, legal. But if it had gone the other way, Ortiz would probably have been DQ'd.

My guess is that Cortez probably wouldn't have seen the blows and would have DQ'd him due to the previous illegal headbutt, but that's anyones guess.

Cortez should have done a better job of splitting them up before officially starting the fight again. Ortiz was naive enough to keep appologising to Mayweather. Mayweather saw the opportunity knowing that the punches were technically legal.

That aside, it was a terrible way to for the fight to end. I just pray the Manny fight is signed, but after this, I can see it being another reason for Mayweather to retire stating that everybody hates him etc etc.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:35 pm

Manny would get slapped about by Floyd, you make Manny think you stop him from being effective Floyd is too much for him. Manny isn't good at being the one lunging in if the other fighter will not engage, Floyd ewill take full advantage and win in a unanimous decision, easier night than most think. My personal take.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:45 pm

Adam D (Hobo) wrote:
We all have our views on what happened and whether it was legal, who was to blame and the incompetence of the ref.

But bearing in mind the money generated and who was the "star" of this show, my question is this.

If the roles had been reversed, and Ortiz had taken the cheap shot, knocking out Mayweather and his perfect record in the process, would Ortiz have been given the win or disqualified?

Lets hear your thoughts.

~ Why sir, everyone knows that Mr. Cortez was called in to protect the house fighter, so yes, Mr. Cortez would have to DQ Mr. Ortiz on the spot before Mr. Roger jumped in to start another ring riot.

Officiating is just as dire in more popular team sports, but it's easier to cover with all the competing bodies in the field of play instead of boxing where only 3 men are in the ring.

Unless Mr. Roger jumps in of course, a major threat to man and beast in every fight!
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
Perfessor Albertus Lion V

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:01 pm

Its a valid question and I think the pressure of Mayweather losing his 0 in such fashion would either lead to a retrospective NC or a DQ for Ortiz.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Sep 2011, 7:39 pm

Perfessor Albertus Lion V wrote:
Adam D (Hobo) wrote:

Lets hear your thoughts.

~ Why sir, everyone knows that Mr. Cortez was called in to protect the house fighter, so yes, Mr. Cortez would have to DQ Mr. Ortiz on the spot before Mr. Roger jumped in to start another ring riot.

Officiating is just as dire in more popular team sports, but it's easier to cover with all the competing bodies in the field of play instead of boxing where only 3 men are in the ring.

Unless Mr. Roger jumps in of course, a major threat to man and beast in every fight!

I don't agree or fully understand what you say a lot of the time but this is spot on.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down