The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns v Katsidis WBO Title???

+2
eddyfightfan
No1Jonesy
6 posters

Go down

Burns v Katsidis WBO Title??? Empty Burns v Katsidis WBO Title???

Post by No1Jonesy Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm

Hi all

So Katsidis has placed on his Facebook wall that Burns v Katsidis is as good as a done deal as a verbal agreement is in place! The strange thing though is he has also put WBO title is mine... So what's happened to Marquez being WBO champion? Could Burns seriously be stepping up strainght into a vacant title fight??

If this is true how does everyone see it panning out? I can only see Katsidis being victorious in this with aneatly stoppage!

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Burns v Katsidis WBO Title??? Empty Re: Burns v Katsidis WBO Title???

Post by No1Jonesy Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

* an early stoppage - damn predictive text on iPhone!

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:26 pm

burns to box a win, coming under fire in early rounds. great fight though and a KO isnt out of the question if burns isnt fully focused for all the fight

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

There's no doubt that Burns has the style to beat Katsidis. He will have to put in a hell of a performance though. Good to see Katsidis commenting, looks like it's going to happen.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

Hmmm so you think Burns will cope with the increased weight against a murderous puncher? If his whiskers do hold up then I can see a points win for Burns - a big ask though!

Date is penciled for November 12 - just signatures await

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:34 pm

Burns had a good reach and can box well on the back foot, these are the tactics needed if he wants to win the fight, i'm sure it wouldn't have been made otherwise, they obviously feel he is on the slide, a big ask though.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:34 pm

i think he might, i doubted him against martinez, another solid puncher and he managed it, so hopefully he can do it again

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

Either way it's good to see a boxer testing themselves - im sure no one would've given burns too much aggro to have chosen a lesser fighter to test the new weights waters but say what you want about Katsidis, he is no mug!

Anybody know the WBO situation though? Is this more Warren string pulling? Although I woulda thought if it is now vacant that Mitchell would get dibs over Burns...

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

They have both fought Graham Earl, Katsidis was in a war and Burns clearly outpointed him, was one of Burns best wins considering where he was in his career at that stage.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:47 pm

Thing is though it was a war because that's Katsidis style an ld he made earl fight that fight n to be honest I just saw Katsidis beat Earl up before stopping him. The knockdown of Katsidis was Micky Vann (I think that was the ref) giving Earl a chance as Katsidis never actually touched the canvas

Burns on the other hand is more of a boxer so he took Earl into a completely different fight.

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm

It doesn't tell us tell much about this fight as it was a long time ago and at different stages of their careers, was Burns 10th fight, just thought i'd throw it out there.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:09 am

brave from burns this may have just caught him at the right time though but for me i see ricky going out on his shield

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:06 am

Undercard of the Pacquioa fight?

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:08 am

good call though i dont know who kats is signed with...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:11 am

Katsidis win for me.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kats proves to big and strong and bulldozes straight through him in 6 rounds.

Burns will obviously have to keep on his toes and stay away from the ropes but Kats will catch up with him at some point.

Got to admire Burns for taking this fight though and I hope he does well, just got a feeling in my waters he won't though!!!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:16 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:brave from burns this may have just caught him at the right time though but for me i see ricky going out on his shield
By "shield" do you me "stretcher"?

Katsidis tends to get done over by the creme de la creme of the divisions, guys who are smart counterpunchers or tough enough to withstand his early onslaught. Burns doesn't fall into any of those catagories and whilst Katsidis is definitely showing signs of wear and tear, it would have to be a Herculean effort from Burns to beat him.

Fair play to the lad though, he couldn't pick a much tougher opponent if he tried.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:18 am

Would be a bit more able to join in the general praise of Burns for taking such a tough challenge were it not for the fact that his desperate need to move up in weight coincided pretty much exactly with the time he was obliged to face Broner, call me cynical if you will but have to feel the two events are in some way related.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

in honesty it could end at any moment with kats power and burns not having a solid chin and it being untested at lightweight. i think mitchell is a bigger puncher and all round better boxer than burns and he was done in 4... all depends on whether he gets caught clean or not.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:22 am

rowley wrote:Would be a bit more able to join in the general praise of Burns for taking such a tough challenge were it not for the fact that his desperate need to move up in weight coincided pretty much exactly with the time he was obliged to face Broner, call me cynical if you will but have to feel the two events are in some way related.

So you think he's taking the easy option in facing Katsidis who will be looking to batter yet another British fighter? Are you also suggesting Frank Warren may have selected Katsidis in Glasgow rather than conceding home advantage to a relatively unknown fighter for purely monetary reasons?

For shame, sir!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:23 am

rowley wrote:Would be a bit more able to join in the general praise of Burns for taking such a tough challenge were it not for the fact that his desperate need to move up in weight coincided pretty much exactly with the time he was obliged to face Broner, call me cynical if you will but have to feel the two events are in some way related.
to be fair though rowley he has probably picked a more difficult opponent in a stylistical viewpoint, it could be a genuine coincidence as hes hardly taking it easy...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
to be fair though rowley he has probably picked a more difficult opponent in a stylistical viewpoint, it could be a genuine coincidence as hes hardly taking it easy...

I'd have to agree with this - for sheer brute strength and experience Kats is a more difficult match then Broner. Although he has lost against the higher echelon of champions, the experience he has gained in loss against fighters such as Casamayor, Guerrero and Marquez puts him on a good platform.

Should Marquez lose to Pacquioa do you think he would look to the winner of this fight for his title back?

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:42 am

i would prefer him to fight rios as he has already beat kats burns doesnt have anything to trouble marquez aut to be fair jonesy its probably on the cards.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:47 am

I think Rios will steer well clear of Marquez - why risk future earnings (as he does look like he's the next big thing) with a loss to an ageing great?

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

think marquez could be there for the taking if it came around might just be able to overpower him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down