The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious Injuries

+5
Pr4wn
The Mangler US_UK
arizona_tom
cherriesfna
Grizzly
9 posters

Go down

Serious Injuries Empty Serious Injuries

Post by Grizzly Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 am

Gents

Does anyone have any strong views on why so many players are going down with serious injury ?
Is it because the lockout prevented organised sessions that improve the physical condition of players, or were they worked too hard at camp and been playing with niggles ?

Obviously Berry and Jamaal are out for the year with ACLs, with them aged 22 and 23 it's unlikley to be wear and tear on the body thats to blame, but I read yesterday that Jordan Shipley is also out for the year with an ACL.
Didn't the Chargers lose Nate Kaeding for the year as well to an ACL ?

And so many players seemed to enter week 1 carrying knocks and/or went into week 2 playing hurt.

We all know this is a brutal sport but I just wondered whether there's any common denominator that might explain the number of serious injuries, especially ACLs, so early in the season.

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Serious Injuries Empty Re: Serious Injuries

Post by cherriesfna Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:52 am

i dont think the players are ready, with the lockout and all i think a few have lost a bit in the physicality stakes and are therefore more prone to injury
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:57 am

Persosnally thought there would be more hamstring soft tissue injuries because of the lockout, just from what iv read.
Suprised to see so many acl injuries but it could just be bad luck

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't know if it's perception or reality. Every year we have bad injuries along the way, but are we just more conscious of them because people were predicting more injuries? Be interesting to see some actual statistics on this to see if the injury rate is a lot higher at this point versus previous non-lockout years.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Both Thomas Davis and Jon Beason for the Panthers are both out for the season. It was inevitable with less training and medical professionals to help with coniditioning.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:04 pm

... Nick Collins gone for the year too...

I know injuries happen in this game but it is clearly been made worse by the players lack of time in the offseason.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks for adding those Gents - I knew my list wasn't exhaustive and wanted to focus on ACLs.
Speaking of which, Dominic Hixon is done for the year with the same injury....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Collins wasn't a lockout related one. Watch it and see what happens to his neck.

Thomas Davis is always injured anyway.

Hixon torn the same ACL last year.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by glasgowhibs Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Thomas Davis is probably finished in Carolina now. Tore one ACL, recovered then tore the other one, recovered again and lasts less than 2 games before tearing one again.

Beason apparently wasn't fully recovered from his achilles injury before going down.

It's definitely a result of the reduced conditioning work before the season, far too many players going down with full-on ACL tears.

Collins looked really painful on his neck, they slowed it right down and showed it close up. Haven't heard much about his scan/x-ray results but wouldn't be surprised if his season is over.

glasgowhibs

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Collins is on IR but reports from Packers.com suggest he's up and running about which is great news. When you see neck injuries football goes out the window and you just hope the guy manages to fully recover.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by glasgowhibs Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Great to hear he's up and running, liked the thumbs up he gave when being carted off.

The respect shown by the players and fans at the game was first class too, hope he makes a quick recovery.

glasgowhibs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down