The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ally McCoist to play at official opening of K Park, East Kilbride

+6
6oldenbhoy
tarka
Beer
The Galveston Giant
Union Cane
Adam D
10 posters

Go down

Ally McCoist to play at official opening of K Park, East Kilbride Empty Ally McCoist to play at official opening of K Park, East Kilbride

Post by Adam D Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

Guys and Gals,

As you know, we recently covered the John Hartson Trophy down at Pride Park in Derby.

On the back of this event, we have been asked to help raise awareness for another fundraiser north of the border.

This Sunday (25th), Ally McCoist will take to the field at the K Park in East Kilbride for its official opening.

Kick off is at 2.30pm and McCoist will be joined by a string of top ex Rangers and Celtic players including Ian Durrant, Alex Rae, Tosh Mckinlay, Tommy Boyd, John Brown and Jackie McNamara and a host of other celebrities and legends, all of whom are keen to show their support for the work of the East Kilbride Community Trust.

Ally says: “Playing in the game that officially opens the K-Park Training Academy means the world to me for so many reasons. K-Park is a dream and a vision my close pals and I have spoken about for years for our hometown of East Kilbride. So to get the boots on when the doors open? Magic. To be able to play when my mum Jessie cuts the ribbon then watches me play just like the old days with Calderwood Blue Star. Unbelievable.”

Lifelong friend James Kean describes the vision from which K-Park has grown: “Growing up in the Murray in East Kilbride one thing was always woven into the fabric of my life, tying together my circle of friends.  Football.  That's why when we moved on in our lives, be it in construction with myself after playing for the likes of Clyde and Ayr United or in the higher reaches of the game with Ally at Rangers the game's worth to the town was always in our hearts.  

The facility hosts a full size 11-a-side FA and UEFA approved 3G pitch, as well as a 7-a-side 3G pitch and SFA approved changing facilities. K-Park Training Academy has become home to several youth and amateur football teams in East Kilbride since it unofficially opened in late May 2011.

So if any of you want to come along to the event, let us know below.

If you cant make it, then look out for for behind the scenes interviews. If you have a question for any of the confirmed players or for the Rangers boss himself, please post them below.

See you there!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Ally McCoist to play at official opening of K Park, East Kilbride Empty Re: Ally McCoist to play at official opening of K Park, East Kilbride

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

Adam D (Hobo) wrote:a string of top ex Rangers and Celtic players including Ian Durrant, Alex Rae, Tosh Mckinlay, Tommy Boyd, John Brown and Jackie McNamara

Er, nope, never heard of any of them.

Having said that, wasn't one of them in The Bill?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Ally McCoist to play at official opening of K Park, East Kilbride Empty Re: Ally McCoist to play at official opening of K Park, East Kilbride

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

Nice one Hobo, question for Ally, Although players were brought in it was far from what was promised and far from the quality that was originally being looked at. Due to the recent tax problems and missing out on Europe, will he be given funds to strenghten the squad again during January or the end of the season.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

Ally, what are your views on the constant scrutiny with which Rangers find themselves under due to sectarian chanting and do you think there is any way of controlling it?

Who was the best player you ever played with or against?

How old is David Weir? Really?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Adam D (Hobo) wrote:a string of top ex Rangers and Celtic players including Ian Durrant, Alex Rae, Tosh Mckinlay, Tommy Boyd, John Brown and Jackie McNamara

Er, nope, never heard of any of them.

Having said that, wasn't one of them in The Bill?

That was poor Tosh Lines, sadly no longer with us. Absolute legend. I loved him and his boys Carver and Burnside

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:13 pm

Ally, what did yo whisper in the ear of Neil Lennon?

Ally do you want me to send you the jacamo catalogue?

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:32 pm

I would also like to point out that admission is FREE!

So get yourselves along to see the old firm stars of yesteryear.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

Bit too far for me to travel although great to see it being free, chance to see some Old Firm legends and the current Rangers mananger.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Bit too far for me to travel although great to see it being free, chance to see some Old Firm legends and the current Rangers mananger.

Very loose use of the word legend. Speaking from a Celtic perspective not one of the Ex-Hoops players attending should ever be referred as a legend. Decent players, but no more.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

Ally, do you accept that the reality of Rangers' financial problems have forced the club to rely on youth when before they perhaps might not have? If so, how much money do you think Rangers' have wasted on foreign squad players and how many previous youth players were perhaps capable of providing a similar service, if not better, than said foreign squad players?

Will you now give the club captaincy to Steve Davis considering the start to the season without the presence of Davie Weir?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:33 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:Bit too far for me to travel although great to see it being free, chance to see some Old Firm legends and the current Rangers mananger.

Very loose use of the word legend. Speaking from a Celtic perspective not one of the Ex-Hoops players attending should ever be referred as a legend. Decent players, but no more.

Bit harsh on Tom Boyd. Me and my boy will be their. Looking forward to it I love these legends games.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:

Bit harsh on Tom Boyd. Me and my boy will be their. Looking forward to it I love these legends games.

Honestly mate I don't think it is. I would classify Boyd and Jackie in the same bracket as good servants for the club, but this doesn't warrant legendary status for me. Never a commanding figure at the back, and I remember the fear when he went to head the ball as you never knew where it would end up. Actually comparable to the Hall of Fame set up on the Boxing forum, if a Celtic version was set up on these boards, Boyd would get an honourable mention, but for me wouldn't make it in.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:

Honestly mate I don't think it is. I would classify Boyd and Jackie in the same bracket as good servants for the club, but this doesn't warrant legendary status for me. Never a commanding figure at the back, and I remember the fear when he went to head the ball as you never knew where it would end up. Actually comparable to the Hall of Fame set up on the Boxing forum, if a Celtic version was set up on these boards, Boyd would get an honourable mention, but for me wouldn't make it in.

Maybe but I think Boyd just sneaks it for services to the club. A bit like Peter Grant in that sense. Nothing special as a player but never let the club down and Boyd did captain the club when we stopped 10 in a row.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:

Maybe but I think Boyd just sneaks it for services to the club. A bit like Peter Grant in that sense. Nothing special as a player but never let the club down and Boyd did captain the club when we stopped 10 in a row.

Think we will have to disagree on Peter Grant as well. He would have run through a brick wall to get the ball, but you need more than that to be considered a Legend in my eyes. In fairness there are very few I would class as Legends, and most would be Old timers (McGrory, Gallagher etc), The Lions and since then maybe 10 or 20 others (Dalglish, McGrain, Larsson etc). I could never class Tom Boyd with these guys.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:15 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:

Think we will have to disagree on Peter Grant as well. He would have run through a brick wall to get the ball, but you need more than that to be considered a Legend in my eyes. In fairness there are very few I would class as Legends, and most would be Old timers (McGrory, Gallagher etc), The Lions and since then maybe 10 or 20 others (Dalglish, McGrain, Larsson etc). I could never class Tom Boyd with these guys.

I see your point actually when you look at names like McGrain, Dalglish, Larsson, Johnstone, McNeil and McStay the name Boyd doesn't fit although I will not back down on Grant he was a legend he was Celtic through and through and gave many years to the club.

Boyd probably fits in the same category as the likes of Lennon, Sutton and Hartson. What the latter two had in ability Boyd made up for with service.

Unfortunately those days are long gone their is no one in the squad just now who will ever be considered a legend.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:

I see your point actually when you look at names like McGrain, Dalglish, Larsson, Johnstone, McNeil and McStay the name Boyd doesn't fit although I will not back down on Grant he was a legend he was Celtic through and through and gave many years to the club.

Boyd probably fits in the same category as the likes of Lennon, Sutton and Hartson. What the latter two had in ability Boyd made up for with service.

Unfortunately those days are long gone their is no one in the squad just now who will ever be considered a legend.

Really don't know what you see in Grant. The guy was a liability at times. I would have Boyd in among the Legends long before Grant.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave The Jackal Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:28 pm

Out of interest, does Coisty play in lots of these golf days? He's certainly doing his best to keep his diary clear for golf, with 3 Cup exits before the end of September! Whistle

Dave The Jackal

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

Dave The Jackal wrote:Out of interest, does Coisty play in lots of these golf days? He's certainly doing his best to keep his diary clear for golf, with 3 Cup exits before the end of September! Whistle

Would have been funny if it was a golf day Laugh

Its a football match!

But I will ask him thumbsup

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

I've got no problem classing Tam Boyd a Celtic legend, gave us 10 years, helped us stop 10 in a row and was skipper, captained the club to their first domestic treble in 32 years and first back to back league titles in 20 years.

Never let us down at left back right back or central defence, played in World Cups and European Championships for Scotland while a Celt, Boyd was Mr Reliable

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

Peter the pointer for me was nowhere near being a legend, he was murder, God knows why Tam Burns percivered with him for two years and was one of the reasons that cost him his job, if we signed Billy McKinley from Dundee Utd in 95/96 and got Grant out the team we would have won the title that year IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down