The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There can be only 1 West Country team...

+5
Bristolian
LondonTiger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
nww12345
HongKongCherry
9 posters

Go down

There can be only 1 West Country team... Empty There can be only 1 West Country team...

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:08 pm

Apparently there is some form of cup taking place at the moment, but this week will see the return of a proper competition, the West Country derby match and I would like to start the banter or just plain trashing (of Barf naturally!). boxing

Glaws have lulled our neighbours into a false sense of security after a dreadful performance last weekend, however, we have beaten our neighbours 6 times out of the last 7 games. With the match at Castle Grim there questions over the result will be whether it is 4 or 5 points for Glaws...

An added bit of spice is that HERSH has once again taken up the bet that upon losing he will change his username to reflect Glaws’ status as the number one side in the West Country. laughing

On a serious note, Glaws should be able to welcome back a number of the forwards that were missing from the Quins drubbing and key to victory will be Andy Hazell. I feel Bath lack a proper 7 and find their backrow mix rather strange, essentially a collection of 8s. Therefore, Hazell can cause a manner of problems. It will also be nice to welcome back Attwood, who I am sure will be given a warm welcome.

I predict a 10 point Glaws victory.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

There can be only 1 West Country team... Empty Re: There can be only 1 West Country team...

Post by nww12345 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

I am already buzzing for the weekend, I love it when Barf come to town as I know we are in for a great game of Rugby. I think that the boys have got a point to prove after the disaster of Quins away not to mention I am expecting the house to be almost full, they will be well up for this one!

I have been impressed bi Dario and Dawiduk and with Browner and James back we should win the tight 5 battle. Our back row should be a bit to savvy as well. Hopefully JSD will be back on the wing ay in the centre if Trinder is not yet fit.

HCK I am of course hoping to also see the first Glaws try bonus of the season Very Happy

I always view rugby matters through Cherry tinted Glasses Cool

nww12345

Back to top Go down

There can be only 1 West Country team... Empty Re: There can be only 1 West Country team...

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:40 pm

There can be only 1 GENUINE West Country team ... Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 20 Sep 2011, 8:09 pm

Sorry aslongas, didn't mean to be disrespectful to the Chiefs! It won't be long before the main derby in the West Country is Glaws v Chiefs. Once Barf move to Swindon they'll have to treat Irish as a Derby game Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:28 am

Surely the only real West Country derby is Exeter v Cornish Pirates (Devon v Cornwall) - as and when it can happen of course.

Gloucester's main derby is surely with Worcester, the SW Midlands derby? Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

There's one team you've forgotten. Easy to do I know, but we'll be back. Then we can resume our rivalry with Glos as to who hates XXXX more.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

Bristolian do you think Bristol will be back in the AP any time soon?

They have a lot of competition in the championship to contend with such as Bedford,Leeds,Cornish Pirates,Nottingham and London Welsh.

Looks like the West country isn't very well defined. Got this from wiki though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

HongKongCherry wrote:Sorry aslongas, didn't mean to be disrespectful to the Chiefs! It won't be long before the main derby in the West Country is Glaws v Chiefs. Once Barf move to Swindon they'll have to treat Irish as a Derby game Wink

Laugh
It'll be a close one I'm sure. Your pack actually looks quite underpowered at the moment, maybe we can target that. Our backs have been playing well so far, think Biggs needs to step up a bit, he's probably been the quietest of the lot.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

Bristolian, you are missed! The games with Bristol are unlike any other I know. We have an intense rivalry yet can completely share our dislike of the champagne charlies in Barf! Wink

I still remember very clearly the game at the mem a few years ago when you won with a last minute drop goal - the ball almost landed on my head, but fortunately I was shielded by all the Bris fans patting me on the back!!

I do hope you get back to the prem, but it is going to be very difficult unless you find a financial backer.

Bathmad, the Glaws Bath games are always crackers and I am sure this will be exactly the same. The notion that our pack is underpowered was unfortunately given some credence with our performance against Quins, which is disappointing as we were very good against Saints and Wuss. We should see the return of Chistloni, James and Hazell which will help beef up the pack.

LondonTiger, I get BBC West Country at home in Glaws, so we must be from the West Country? Although I also get ITV Wales... Whistle
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

Don't know what's going on, not sure any of my replies got through

Anyway, Beshocked, we wont do it this season for sure. You're right Bedford, Welsh and Pirates are all better teams. However we do have an RFU Academy so if we can keep the youngsters together I think we'll do it in two or three seasons. At the moment I'd settle for an improvement on last season (B&I Cup aside it was embarrassing), even if we did go up we'd only be straight back down. The path to follow is Exeter's, you have to admire the way they've gone about their business, even if they did rob us of promotion!

I'd say the West Country is Bris, Glos and XXXX. Exter, Pirates etc. I'd say are more South West (better seafood, more incest), but it's always open to interpretation. many Pirates fans would say their not even English....

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:LondonTiger, I get BBC West Country at home in Glaws, so we must be from the West Country? Although I also get ITV Wales... Whistle

"Hes a Welshman"
"what do we do with Welshman?"
"BURN THEM"

(Or was that witches?)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:01 pm

I've been called some pretty insulting things in my time, but a Welshman is the most heinous accusation I have ever received!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:14 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I've been called some pretty insulting things in my time, but a Welshman is the most heinous accusation I have ever received!

Jog on Fred West Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:36 pm

Isn't it fantastic that in a couple of years time there could be as many as 5 Westcountry teams in the prem. Just need Brizzle and the inbred retards from Cornwall to pull their fingers out! (No offence meant, i know it's spelt Bristol!)

There can be only 1 West Country team... 1271185611
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

Carpe,

Five West Country teams would be something special. I've always felt it was crazy that there is no top flight Cornish team, it's a real hotbed with no competition from a football team. I know it was because they loved the old County Championship, but there needs to be a Premiership team down there. I have to admit it took me a full season to get over Exe beating us in the play off, but I went to university down there and always said they deserved a shot at the Premiership. Boy did that statement come back to haunt me..

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down