The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do I want France to win?

+12
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
Gatts
majesticimperialman
Irish Curry
kiakahaaotearoa
FullBack
disneychilly
marty2086
Dominic Dicoco
rapidsnowman
screamingaddabs
16 posters

Go down

Why do I want France to win? Empty Why do I want France to win?

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:34 am

I support England. I want them to finish top of their group. Meeting NZ in the quarters would be, how do I put this, tricky... I like NZ, I like their team, I love the country, I like the way they play I often support them in games, they are fantastic. France beating them would mean no end of bad things as an England supporter. So why oh why do I still really want France to win? Any other England supporters in the same boat? Allez le bleu!
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Why do I want France to win? Empty Re: Why do I want France to win?

Post by rapidsnowman Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Perhaps subconsciously it a Northern V's Southern hemisphere thing?
Perhaps you like upsets?

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:06 pm

I think it must be the underdog thing. I can see me having a massive celebration as the French win, turning into genuine horror a few hours later as I realise that England will probably play the All Blacks in the quarters (assuming they can beat a good Scottish side). At least if France beat NZ I won't mind losing to Scotland so much...
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

I would usually love France to win, but if Wales were in Englands position, I would be pleading for A NZ victory. There is a chance Wales might see the runner up in the semi final anyway, so NZ win it is.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

The chances are that to win the WC your going to have to beat NZ so if England want to win it why not QF

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

I dunno from an England supporter's point of view-facing a team whom you have beaten in WCs on a few occasions and know well, or an extremely chastened side looking to right a few wrongs and one that you've never beaten in a WC and not since 03 in general...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

I'd definitely prefer for someone else to knock NZ out for us because I don't think we would beat them. I think we have a chance against SA and I know we can definitely beat the Aussies. I also don't want to lose to Scotland and yet I know I will still cheer on France. Maybe it's the fact it will add to the "legend" for want of a better word of France beating NZ at world cups.

Am I the only Englishman wanting France to win?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by FullBack Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

I want them to win, and its not a north v south thing as i dont want any others to win.

They consistently upset the world no.1 team, capable of beating anyone, capable of losing to anyone. That why i want them to win, they genuinely deserve it

FullBack

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 23 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

Nothing wrong with that. NZ are used to being the team everybody wants to topple and the Ireland result against Australia goes to show how an upset can throw a tournament like this on its head.

One thing I find curious is that I never want the Wallabies or SA to win. I respect them a lot but that doesn´t mean I´d openly support them. I don´t think there is a SH thing with me. Just goes to show how greedy AB supporters are I guess!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:04 pm

As an Irish fan I want NZ to win as then France will play England which, all going well (sorry Wales) will set up an Ireland-England semi with I would dearly love. king

Come on New Zealand!!
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

I would love France to win because France have upsetting New Zealand in rugby world cups for years.

Come on France. guinness

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

I would like France to win because it will make the comp more interesting and will lead to a NZ Eng quarter Very Happy

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:46 pm

Irish Curry wrote:As an Irish fan I want NZ to win as then France will play England which, all going well (sorry Wales) will set up an Ireland-England semi with I would dearly love. king

Come on New Zealand!!

yes an ireland final is realistic. Wales wont be easy. Nor will england or France but one of the 4 will likely be there so no reason it shouldnt be ireland.

I havnt see a lot of england yet. The must have been playing at odd times.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

[quote="Taylorman"][quote="Irish Curry"]As an Irish fan I want NZ to win as then France will play England which, all going well (sorry Wales) will set up an Ireland-England semi with I would dearly love. king

Come on New Zealand!![/quote]

yes an ireland final is realistic. Wales wont be easy. Nor will england or France but one of the 4 will likely be there so no reason it shouldnt be ireland.

I havnt see a lot of england yet. The must have been playing at odd times. [/quote]

Its New Zealand getting revenge for robbing there kit laughing
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:49 pm

he he...I saw the Argie match and a bit of Georgia. I can't place them yet. Seems theyre having a 2007 pool again with doing enough but not looking the full deal.

Ireland have pushed Wales a bit under the radar but theyve had 2 really impressive games so can't be ignored. I think the two are even (Wales and Ireland). In fact all the NH, bar Scotland who are dipping below the bar a bit, are probably fairly even, Ireland getting the kudos at the mo.

The NH involved matches have actually been the best so far and half way through its getting to that itchy feet phase. Hopefully NZ France can put on a show tonight for all (and Ritchie)

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Not everbody wants France to win...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:01 pm

I definitely don't want France to win .... I'd have very scary thoughts about what NZ would do to us in a world cup semi final Yikes ....if we beat the lovely Italians and Welsh that is Hug At the same time, I probably won't be able to resist cheering for them in the morning. Probably in the same way everyone else wanted us to beat Australia, we all can't resist rooting for the underdog. As well as that, when France are on the top of their game they're beautiful to watch, and against NZ, it would be a masterpiece if they pulled it off.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:I'd definitely prefer for someone else to knock NZ out for us because I don't think we would beat them. I think we have a chance against SA and I know we can definitely beat the Aussies. I also don't want to lose to Scotland and yet I know I will still cheer on France. Maybe it's the fact it will add to the "legend" for want of a better word of France beating NZ at world cups.

Am I the only Englishman wanting France to win?
You know, you have rasied the weird point about teams 'planning' to lose matches deliberately. If France beat the ABs, then will England try to lose to Scotland in order to avoid the ABs? But then Scotland might also be planning to lose to England, also to avoid the ABs. So, we now have this complete farce (James Haskell and Kelly Brown at a ruck):
"You take the ball."
"Oh no, you take it"
"No, I insist"
"no, no, no. I said YOU"
.....and a fight breaks out.
Moral of the story: Ain't no one this year gonna go out to lose. But that fight would be funny, eh?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:54 pm

Don't think Scotland will have to try and lose to England, pretty sure the boys in black will sort that out for Scotland.
But yes, I would expect SA would like to come 2nd and avoid Aussies, NZ and France would like to come 2nd and avoid Eng (sort of). Ireland have basically screwed it all up for everyone! now all the SH sides are likely to be on one side of the draw and we are almost certainly going to see a NH v SH final.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:24 am

Gatts, I know there is a southern hemisphere, northern hemisphere and the stratosphere, but I am pretty sure, no one plays rugby in the stratosphere. Rolling Eyes

So I would think it is not almost cretainly going to be NH vs SH final, I think it is definitely going to be NH vs SH.

Unless of course you think france will beat NZ?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:42 am

Thanks for pointing that out biltong but it is by no means definite until after this game. France could win by accident and don't be surprised to see lievremont throwing his toys at the end if france win! IMO in terms of their progression in the comp to lose now is better.

I don't think they will win, but hope they do. Great for the comp and frankly would like to see the ABs get a bloody nose. Tired of them staking their clain to a trophy as if it is almost a birthright. No doubt it is disrespectful to say this about NZ but I don't think they deserve half the respect they lay claim to. Win the bloody thing and i might reconsider.

The great thing about france is no one really knows, even them , until the whistle blows... I actually think are better placed to lose and play England because England are currently so far off the pace that my earlier prediction that they would make the final now seems premature.

Currently thinking

Wales v Ire- have to say Wales
Aus v Boks - Boks
Eng v France - France
NZ v Scot - NZ

Semi
Wales v France
NZ v Boks

Final

Wales v boks, we win by a point Wink

Welcome to stratospheric rugby!

Last edited by Gatts on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:18 am

Sorry, are Australia playing two quarter finals Gatts? Jaysus we shouldn't have bothered beating them the other day if they're gonna get both the quarters anyway. And they'll be losing both of em as well? The poor lads can't catch a break these days Whistle

I'm assuming you think Wales will play us though? Of course you "have to say Wales" don't ya :P Can't wait for that 1/4 (fingers crossed Italy don't trip us up) It'll be good fun and a great game and we'll all buy ye all a few pints of guiness afterwards when we win. We're nice like that Very Happy

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:20 am

mrsuperclear wrote:Sorry, are Australia playing two quarter finals Gatts? Jaysus we shouldn't have bothered beating them the other day if they're gonna get both the quarters anyway. And they'll be losing both of em as well? The poor lads can't catch a break these days Whistle

I'm assuming you think Wales will play us though? Of course you "have to say Wales" don't ya :P Can't wait for that 1/4 (fingers crossed Italy don't trip us up) It'll be good fun and a great game and we'll all buy ye all a few pints of guiness afterwards when we win. We're nice like that Very Happy

Yeah yeah my mistake, ireland obviously

Well don't choke on your Guiness when we turn you over

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:26 am

Jaysus, Bon chance a vous ce soir mon ami.. Allez les All Blacks, Allez les francais!

Excusez my Francais (Its a little rusty!) RedWine

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:27 am

"France could win by accident"...

That has to be the best one yet.

I hope you're teeing up a good spot for tonight's match. I think there'll be plenty of talking points after this match for you to ponder on.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:31 am

Later this morning here,Allan Rolland referee look for lots of scrum penalties
he`s hot on them.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:41 am

I'll wait until I discover who the referees and assistants are before making bold predictions Gatts, but provided they're not incompetent gobshoites, I reckon I won't be choking on anything Very Happy

It's a bit early for the Wales/Ireland banter at the minute but 606v2 will explode in a couple of weeks. We get ten pages of shoite on our team selections as it is, adding the Welsh 606 population to our threads and the whole website will probably crash! Can't wait guinness

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:50 am

mrsuperclear wrote:I'll wait until I discover who the referees and assistants are before making bold predictions Gatts, but provided they're not incompetent gobshoites, I reckon I won't be choking on anything Very Happy

It's a bit early for the Wales/Ireland banter at the minute but 606v2 will explode in a couple of weeks. We get ten pages of shoite on our team selections as it is, adding the Welsh 606 population to our threads and the whole website will probably crash! Can't wait guinness

We have to qualify first and you boys need to make sure you don't choke on italian food!

guinness

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:15 am

Too right Gatts, too right. The Aussies probably took us for granted, hope our boys pay the Italians the respect the Aussies should have given us.

G'luck and fingers crossed I'll see ya for some banter in a couple of weeks!! Leprechaun > Wales

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:55 am

Fire breathing dragon v ginger bearded green hat wearing fat bloke. Very Happy
Look forward to it

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

Gatts wrote:Fire breathing dragon
To be honest the emoticon looks more like a prancing red rat being sick! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
To be honest the emoticon looks more like a prancing red rat being sick! Very Happy

probably just finished watching the match then...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:53 pm

Taylorman wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

probably just finished watching the match then...

Tumbleweed

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum