The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Dean Richards

4 posters

Go down

RIP Dean Richards Empty RIP Dean Richards

Post by ADMIN Sat 26 Feb - 13:59

Dean Richards, the former Tottenham Hotspur, Southampton and Wolves defender, has died at the age of 36.

When Richards moved from Saints to Spurs in 2001 in an £8.1m deal it was the highest amount paid for a player with no senior international caps.

Just four years after that record switch, he was forced to end his 13-year playing career because of illness.

Since 2007, Richards had been youth-team coach at hometown club Bradford City, where he began his career.

In 1995 Richards was signed by Wolves and four years later moved to then-Premiership side Southampton, who were managed by current Cardiff boss Dave Jones at the time.

Richards also impressed under Jones's successor Glenn Hoddle, who took the centre-half with him to White Hart Lane in 2001.

Richards was dogged by injury at Spurs, however, making 73 appearances in his four years in north London.

After suffering dizzy spells and headaches, Richards was advised it would be harmful to his health to continue playing and hung up his boots in March 2005.

He had initially been diagnosed with an inner ear infection and underwent a scan for a brain tumour, which came back negative.

Richards played for England's Under-21s on four occasions but did not win any caps at senior level.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

RIP Dean Richards Empty Re: RIP Dean Richards

Post by Guest Sat 26 Feb - 14:08

terrible news, thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Sat 26 Feb - 14:12

Sad, sad news. As Y I Man said...my thoughts are with his family.

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 26 Feb - 19:25

I was shocked to read this on Twitter when I came off the golf course today. Not exactly a stellar performer but I remember him well and even as an Arsenal fan I remember being impressed with him as a Tottenham defender.

Such a terribly young age to be taken away. I wonder what the cause of death was.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Sun 27 Feb - 8:34

RIP Dean. They are going to make the upcoming Spurs v Wolves match some kind of tribute match to him
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down