The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strategic losing is for losers

2 posters

Go down

Strategic losing is for losers Empty Strategic losing is for losers

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 24 Sep - 13:07

Much has been said of so-called easier draws. Arguably, what looks like to be a NH side of the draw is easier. But NH sides are very familiar with knockout rugby and I don´t see there is much noticeable difference. There are still some pool matches particularly with England, Scotland and Argentina that will shape the quarter finals but it seems likely that either Argentina or Scotland will face NZ.

But for me, today showed that rugby is a mental game as well as being a physical game. Australia were facing 11 consecutive losses against NZ. You could see the confidence they gained from the SA tour in 2010. A narrow loss in Sydney and a win in Hong Kong and suddenly they had not only the belief but the game to beat the ABs this year to decide the 3N.

France looked very good today in the opening minutes but didn´t come away with points and then 3 quick tries and mentally they were out of the game. Now they might feel that they have an easier draw now as a consolation for today´s humbling. But winning breeds momentum and confidence and this can be psychologically beneficial. Look at the record at Eden Park the ABs have. That´s putting doubt in people´s minds before they even get on the field. If NZ had lost today at Eden Park, gone 3-2 down to France in RWC games, lost their 100 per cent pool games, this has an impact not just in the short term. It gives people hope much further down the line.

But more importantly, if you lose, you go in with doubts to the next match. You lose the aura of invincibility. England in 2003 won games against every nation and that momentum was hugely important to not only them but also it affected the opposition in many ways.

When you play the World Cup, you don´t have to beat all the world´s best. You just have to beat all the teams you have to face in the knockout phase. But looking at the quarter possibilities, other than the NZ one, where is a team that is all but guaranteed a win. All are capable of winning so the tiniest of advantages count for a lot. Having confidence from winning can prove very useful. Ireland are going in to the Wales match with confidence. Having your backs against the wall against SA is not impossible but I know which scenario I´d like Ireland to be in. But even if the roles were reversed and Ireland´s win against Australia meant a quarter against SA, I´d still fancy their chances.

It´s not about how far you can get in the tournament. Nobody remembers anyone other than the winner. You have to beat everybody and who cares who that opposition is. That´s the mentality of top teams. Once you go down the road of seeing losses in an acceptable light, you drop your standards, your pride and your confidence. Winning breeds success. Losing is a tag sometimes tough to shake.

Let´s have none of this talk of losing is ok. Losing hurts. Losing is unacceptable. The knives will be out for the French at home. Some people say you learn more from your losses rather than your victories. All I see from our losses is that losing sucks and winning feels great.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Strategic losing is for losers Empty Re: Strategic losing is for losers

Post by Biltong Sat 24 Sep - 13:10

"But even if the roles were reversed and Ireland´s win against Australia meant a quarter against SA, I´d still fancy their chances."

So not much going for SA then, Kia?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 24 Sep - 13:26

Haha I´m not saying they´d win mate. SA look in great touch as this tournament is progressing and thank goodness we don´t play you in the quarters.

I just think it´s always better approaching a game coming off a win rather than a loss. I don´t buy this losing makes you more focused and determined. Momentum, putting out a regular team with known combinations, confidence and a positive frame of mind should never be underestimated.

Embracing the underdog tag, thinking a loss makes you hungrier, all such talk does not convince me in the slightest. Win your games. Win them all.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down