The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Elephant in the room

+3
rodders
doctornickolas
Boyne
7 posters

Go down

The Elephant in the room Empty The Elephant in the room

Post by Boyne Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

Loads of talk about quarter final fixtures. We are at the point in the tournament where certain teams can dream of the last 8 and eye up who they are bound to play.

For certain teams, this 100% understandable. Teams like England, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Wales, all but have the last 8 sewn up and in their sights.

I don't think Ireland can afford themselves that luxury and this is why.

I have heard nothing of the health situation on Tom Court. Not by any manner of means a world beater. He's an average scrummager, an average player.

Give me average any day. I love average.

What really scares me is the fact that we may, at some other stage during this world cup, see Tony Buckley stroll onto the park to face Italy, Wales or France (possibly England) to lock a scrum to win the game.

He is not capable of doing this.

Imagine the scenario.

We are 2 points ahead of, say, Wales (I pick Wales because even if we lose but get a BP against Italy, we still might make the QF?)
and we have a scrum on our own put in, inside our half. 5 mins left. Ross is gone due to giving his all in a 70 min struggle with Wales. On pops Buckley, gives away a penalty and Priestland knocks it over.

Bye bye Ireland.

This is a scenario I can unfortunately, see happening.

So, how is Court? Will he be fit to start on the bench for the rest of the tournament and if he's not fit, what can we do about keeping Buckley off the pitch.

3 penalties in the scrum against a unit with the scrummaging noos and power of Aironi's under 16's.

Not good. Worse. A liability.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

The Elephant in the room Empty Re: The Elephant in the room

Post by doctornickolas Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:31 am

Jeez Boyne cheer up mate.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:34 am

doctornickolas wrote:Jeez Boyne cheer up mate.

If Tony Buckley was your back up tight head you wouldn't feel too cheerful either Sad
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Indeed, I am also worried about Court's fitness. But to be fair to TB he can just about lock out the scrum if he is at TH, what he cannot do is the same at LH.

In saying all of that though, the only way we could have changed that would be to have brought Hayes & Horan instead of Mushy, while presumablydropping either Leamy or McFadden from the squad to accomodate the extra prop. (Jennings would still most likely have been taken as a replacement for Wallace after his injury, as Leamy while versatile hasn't played much rugby at 7)

This wasn't really a runner. I understand your concerns Boyne, I really do, but hitting the depression button before needed is a touch defeatist; I'd go further to say that it feels like you're getting your ecuses in early/polishing the stick with which to beat the team & management polished ahead of time.

You aren't George Hook are you?!?

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

The nerves are here and it's showtime around the corner - Would any of you like to have the reliable Andy Powell as your brains in the pack going into a 1/4 final ? Powell makes Gareth Thomas look like a member of MENSA Shocked

Ok, maybe that was stretching it a bit - Showtime awaits, good luck to all the teams and respective supporters thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

RubyGuby wrote:The nerves are here and it's showtime around the corner - Would any of you like to have the reliable Andy Powell as your brains in the pack going into a 1/4 final ? Powell makes Gareth Thomas look like a member of MENSA Shocked

Ok, maybe that was stretching it a bit - Showtime awaits, good luck to all the teams and respective supporters thumbsup

Nah, AP makes Gareth look like the dude who's to sharp for MENSA thumbsup

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:19 pm

Mate if you are worried about being only 2 poinst ahead of italy you need to be looking at the rest of your side not just the reserve prop.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Mate if you are worried about being only 2 poinst ahead of italy you need to be looking at the rest of your side not just the reserve prop.

Mate, if you knew how bad Buckley was, you wouldn't make that comment.

How important are scrums? Penalties?

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

I thought the Elephant in the Room was Tony Buckley thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down