The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Point scoring statistics at Rugby world Cup.

5 posters

Go down

Point scoring statistics at Rugby world Cup. Empty Point scoring statistics at Rugby world Cup.

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:13 am

As you all know, I like to put useless information together and then bore you to death with it, here is a list of the test countries and their tries scored. Qualification 10 test matches.

New Zealand - 39 matches, 256 tries, 6.6 tries per match. Penalties 2.2 per match. 84.61% win rate.

Australia - 37 matches, 168 tries, 4.5 tries per match. Penalties 2.3 per match.81.08% win rate.

South Africa - 27 matches, 114 tries, 4.2 tries per match. Penalties 2.6 per match. 88.88% win rate.

France - 39 matches, 154 tries, 3.9 tries per match. Penalties 2.9 per match. 73.07% win rate.

Wales - 28 matches, 100 tries, 3.6 tries per match. Penalties 2 per match. 57.14% win rate.

Scotland - 32 matches, 113 tries, 3.5 tries per match. Penalties 2.6 per match. 60.93% win rate.

England - 38 matches, 128 tries, 3.4 tries per match. Penalties 3.1 per match. 73.68% win rate.

Ireland - 28 matches, 92 tries, 3.3 tries per match. Penalties 2.1 per match. 57.14% win rate.

Samoa - 23 matches, 67 tries, 2.9 tries per match. Penalties 2.2 per match.47.82% win rate.

Fiji - 23 matches, 59 tries, 2.6 tries per match. Penalties 2.1 per match. 39.13% win rate.

Argentina - 28 matches, 70 tries, 2.5 tries per match. Penalties 2.9 per match. 50% win rate.

Japan - 24 matches, 51 tries, 2.1 tries per match. Penalties 1.8 per match. 8.33% win rate.

Canada - 24 matches, 47 tries, 2 tries per match. Penalties 2.1 per match. 33.33% win rate.

Italy - 23 matches, 44 tries, 1.9 tries per match. Penalties 2.2 per match. 36.36% win rate.

Tonga - 20 matches, 35 tries, 1.8 tries per match. Penalties 1.6 per match. 25% win rate.

USA - 21 matches, 31 tries, 1.5 tries per match. Penalties 1.4 per match. 15% win rate.

Romania - 23 matches, 33 tries, 1.4 tries per match. Penalties 1.6 per match. 21.73% win rate.

Namibia - 15 matches, 16 tries, 1.1 try per match. Penalties 0.7 per match. 0% win rate.

Georgia - 10 matches, 7 tries, 0.7 tries per match. Penalties 2 per match. 10% win rate.

Drop goals are not a very common sight in RWC, the following teams use it to some significance.
England 0.5 drops per match.
South Africa 0.4 drops per match.

enjoy.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Point scoring statistics at Rugby world Cup. Empty Re: Point scoring statistics at Rugby world Cup.

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:21 am

Biltong
Hate to tell you this but italy just scored another try.....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Point scoring statistics at Rugby world Cup. Empty Re: Point scoring statistics at Rugby world Cup.

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:23 am

The numbers lie.

Down with Biltong, charlatan! boxing
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:26 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Biltong
Hate to tell you this but italy just scored another try.....

NNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooo! Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:27 am

laughing Do it again, do it again so that the numbers may reflect the truth. Charlatan.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:32 am

PJHolybloke wrote: laughing Do it again, do it again so that the numbers may reflect the truth. Charlatan.

Why don't you just give ma aclue as to what truth you want the numbers to tell?

If you don't tell me I can't fix it. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:57 am

Canada 24 matches - 47 tries - 2 tries per game = 48?!

I'm all for rounding up Biltong, dont get me wrong, but I don't think it's valid if it creates a try that never was. Very Happy

Just pulling yer statistical chain mate, none intended. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

Sorry bud, but it is actually 1.9583333.

so I rounded it to the first decimal point.

Thus 1.96 becomes 2.00 sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:09 am

Just a gentle tease my friend, at least it shows I read the entire article with interest. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:12 am

I am proud of you, and thankful that there is at least one person who pays attention to my ramblings.

I thought you might want me to bump englands figures up a bit, I would have if you asked.

These guys believe almost any "statistical" information. Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:18 am

OK I'm working on the penalty count "Table of Infamy" for the latest rounds at the moment, along with a side table of penalties by individual refs, we have plenty in common when it comes to stats. Very Happy

You'll be surprised at the members of the "Squeeky Clean Club" I think. chin

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:22 am

PJHolybloke wrote: OK I'm working on the penalty count "Table of Infamy" for the latest rounds at the moment, along with a side table of penalties by individual refs, we have plenty in common when it comes to stats. Very Happy

This stats geek is looking forward to seeing that PJ thumbsup
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:25 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote: OK I'm working on the penalty count "Table of Infamy" for the latest rounds at the moment, along with a side table of penalties by individual refs, we have plenty in common when it comes to stats. Very Happy

I would hazard a guess and predict SA the "thugs" to be leading that list? chin
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

Just waiting on Italy v USA, it will be slightly skewed though as some teams have played the extra game.

The refs table does throw up 2 stand out anomalies though, they may be refs to avoid in the knockout stages where the games are likely to be very tight?

But then again, they're just statistics...... Very Happy
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:28 am

biltongbek wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

I would hazard a guess and predict SA the "thugs" to be leading that list? chin

Maybe Biltong, just maybe and "if" that is the case, surely that would just prove that SA have gotten much better at cheating? kiss
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:42 am

What do you mean cheating, that is for Richie, we are thugs, rather well behaving thugs. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

biltongbek wrote:What do you mean cheating, that is for Richie, we are thugs, rather well behaving thugs. Whistle

SA have actually been very impressive on both counts, I'm starting to get the impression that they mean business. It would not surprise me to see them go all the way again, the only fly in the ointment is Aus being thrown into SA's half of the QF draw, I'm not sure SA can beat Aus then NZ in NZ back to back - any stats on that possibility?

Those fixtures must have been thrown up in the 3N, Aus and then NZ away - probably not just a week apart though? chin
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:00 am

I'll check for you.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:02 am

OK Nice one.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

since the last world cup.

In 2008 to 2009, SA beat OZ, NZ, NZ, OZ, OZ away and home

In 2008, OZ beat SA, NZ at home
In 2011, OZ beat SA, NZ, away and home
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

although not relevant to the scenario in this world cup.

2008 NZ beat, OZ, SA, OZ,OZ home and away
2010 NZ beat, OZ, SA, SA, OZ, OZ, SA clean sweep.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

I think it's safe to say the 2011 results are a bit skewed as Aus were the only team consistently picking a team to "win the game".

Soooo SA do have some form in 2008/09 for winning where it really matters - on the road.

How do you think the current team compares to 2008/09? I certainly think it's got a better balance than the team that played in the Lions Series.

I can also see signs that it's a better team for tournament footy than the 2007 team, as already suggested their discipline so far in this tournament has been excellent and the 3/4's are showing some promise for clicking at exactly the right time.

I guess with NZ (probably) playing what's likely to be a "bruising" game against Argentina the week before the semi, that could prove to be a bit of a leveller.

I think that the tournament really starts right now for most of the teams looking likely to play in the quarters, there are some challenging group games coming up that will lay down markers for where teams really are at the start of the knockout phase.

Interesting times ahead, no doubt about it.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:37 am

Can you just factor in that 1990-2004 saw the worse period in welsh rugbys history and only now are we getting back to some level of stability. Thank you. Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

In some way this team is better than the one that played in 2009, and they do know how to win in NZ, the problem with australia in the quarter final is that they are a confidence team, and if we allow them to get a quick start, they will become more confident and would then really make it tough for us.

But then again the Boks can be very tough up front and if they get to dominate australia there and put Genia and cooper under pressure it could go all pearshaped for them.

although australia have the edge on us in terms of results since the last world cup, the matches themself were very interesting.

19 July 2008, australia wins a close one in Perth, 16-9
23 aug 2008, australia beats us comfortably, 3 tries to 2 tries, score 27-15
30 aug 2008, We thrash australia, 53-8, running in 8 tries to 1
8 aug 2009, we beat australia 29-17, mostly penalties,
29 aug 2009, we beat australia 32-25, with a blits of 3 tries in the first 30 minutes, Oz comes back and scores 2 tries at the death.
5 sept 2009, Oz beats us 21-6
24 July 2010, Oz beats us 30-13, 2 tries each, 6 penalties by Oz.
28 aug 2010, we beat Oz 44-31, 5 tries to 4
4 sept 2010, Oz beats us with a last minute 50 meter penalty 41-39
23 July 2011, Oz blows our second stringers to pieces 39-20
13 Aug 2011, Oz beats us 14-9.

total points scored in this period.

SA 269
OZ 269

Tires scored

SA 27
OZ 30.

You can't get closer than this.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

Yeah, that's pretty tight. Like you said at the start though, it's surely going to favour the team that gets out of the blocks fustest and fastest.

I'm off to do a bit of graft now, but I'm going to have a look at the scoring patterns for SA & Aus for this WC when I get back, I may or may not let you know what I find depending on how valuable I think its is! Very Happy
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

I promise to behave. But then you have to give it all to me. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

Just had a quick butchers, and although I haven't worked the figures - it already paints a picture in my mind.

Done deal, I'll PM the stats when I've crunched them though - they could be crucial to the SG league OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

good stuff mate. thanks
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down