The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The steady hand of experience vs exuberant youth

5 posters

Go down

The steady hand of experience vs exuberant youth Empty The steady hand of experience vs exuberant youth

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

Interesting piece in today's Grauniad: Youth vs experience - all 4 home nations face 'dilemmas' in the flyhalf position. Which way will they go?

Article in full for those unable to click on link:
Spoiler:

From a Scottish point of view, pls, pls, and pretty pls, don't let Parks anywhere near the pitch - but I have a funny feeling that Robbo might opt for him Rolling Eyes

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

The steady hand of experience vs exuberant youth Empty Re: The steady hand of experience vs exuberant youth

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:23 am

I can't see Robbo going for Parks after the weekend. Jackson played pretty well. Took his penalty and his drop goal really well. Yes, a couple of his wide passes were aimless and just put pressure on our backs away from our forwards (a la Godman), but he carried the ball well when required and generally comes out on the plus side.

Parks, that one drive to the corner aside, had a poor cameo. One silly and backwards up and under, one complete fluke kick to the corner that should have seriously cost us, his drop goal when he should have taken a chance for a try with the penalty advantage already coming and finally of course the missed drop goal at the end (although I don't really assign much blame to him for that).

Personally, for the others, I'd go for Hook, Sexton and Flood.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

The steady hand of experience vs exuberant youth Empty Re: The steady hand of experience vs exuberant youth

Post by R!skysports Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I can't see Robbo going for Parks after the weekend. Jackson played pretty well. Took his penalty and his drop goal really well. Yes, a couple of his wide passes were aimless and just put pressure on our backs away from our forwards (a la Godman), but he carried the ball well when required and generally comes out on the plus side.

Parks, that one drive to the corner aside, had a poor cameo. One silly and backwards up and under, one complete fluke kick to the corner that should have seriously cost us, his drop goal when he should have taken a chance for a try with the penalty advantage already coming and finally of course the missed drop goal at the end (although I don't really assign much blame to him for that).

Any sane man wouldn't go for Parks - I am having my doubts about AR now though

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:53 am

Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I can't see Robbo going for Parks after the weekend. Jackson played pretty well. Took his penalty and his drop goal really well. Yes, a couple of his wide passes were aimless and just put pressure on our backs away from our forwards (a la Godman), but he carried the ball well when required and generally comes out on the plus side.

Any sane man wouldn't go for Parks - I am having my doubts about AR now though

To bench Jacko after his man of the match performance against the Argies would be criminal. It's a must win game for Scotland and IMO we need Jackson to start.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Kidney has a tough choice. If Sexton was successfully kicking most of his penalties he'd be first choice, because he has a better all round game. His performance against England in the 6 Nations was great and his performance against Northampton in the Heineken Cup was sensational. But he's now missing most of his kicks. He doesn't look confident over the ball.

At the same time, O'Gara is kicking nearly all his goals He's confident, he's on form and he really deserves to start. We are playing Italy, a team we haven't lost to in 12 years. So does Kidney give Sexton another chance to find his kicking mojo? But due to our failure to get a bonus point against the USA, this is also a knockout match. Italy can be tough opponents. If we're below par and are missing penalties then it could be a disastrous loss and we're going home.

So what should Kidney do? What would you do? I'd be tempted to start Sexton and give him 40 minutes to prove he should be first choice. If he bottles it then send on the old man to show him how it's done under pressure.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down