The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good article about potential 'player uprising' from Montreal Gazette

+2
barrystar
time please
6 posters

Go down

Good article about potential 'player uprising' from Montreal Gazette Empty Good article about potential 'player uprising' from Montreal Gazette

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2011/09/26/a-player-uprising-theres-an-easier-way/

Very good article which illustrates that it is not in the interests of the rank and file players to follow the call to arms from some of the top players.

time please

Back to top Go down

Good article about potential 'player uprising' from Montreal Gazette Empty Re: Good article about potential 'player uprising' from Montreal Gazette

Post by barrystar Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

I think the article points out exactly what most of us have been saying - the interests of the very few at the top do not coincide with those who are even fairly close to them in the ranking There is a huge difference between Nos 1-4 and even No 11 downards in terms of the number of semi-finals they make in big tournaments and the importance to their rankings and earnings of being able to compete in several smaller tournaments throughout the year.

The USO itself was a special case - for everyone's sake they need to stop the wednesday start and super saturday. I think that the solidarity between all players, top to bottom, about the USO's shortcomings may have temporarily blinded some of the top players about the conflicts of interest concerning wider scheduling issues between them and their less illustrious colleagues.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Good article about potential 'player uprising' from Montreal Gazette Empty Re: Good article about potential 'player uprising' from Montreal Gazette

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

The USO and its scheduling is, I agree, a completely separate issue from everything else. It is pretty inhuman and has been so for decades. Hopefully extending the tournament by one day will resolve some of the issues for the top players.

I think the article also shows how much of the management of scheduling is totally in the player's remit, but they don't seem to want to turn down some of the lucrative offers for appearances in lesser tournaments or for exhibitions. Some of them would rather legislation prevented them from playing an extra tournament for a 7 figure appearance fee - it's quite easy guys, just say no. Also agree that scheduling has always been Rafa's issue, but that is an effect of his game - he has also pushed for a longer clay season in the past, but the tour cannot be reworked for the advantage of one over the many.

Liked the bit about the dilemna Murray would find himself in if top 3 skipped a major - too true. Would also be a difficult one for Fed, but I don't think boycotting a tournament would be his style, particularly at this point of his career.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

time please wrote:Liked the bit about the dilemna Murray would find himself in if top 3 skipped a major - too true. Would also be a difficult one for Fed, but I don't think boycotting a tournament would be his style, particularly at this point of his career.

Just Murray? There's no way any of the top 4, let alone those below, would boycott a slam. Anyway, that would almost certainly be the wrong target because the ATP does not run slams and sets the calendar for most of the year.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm

TIME PLEASE, you beat me to it with the article.

Yes, I thought it was a very good article which made perfect sense. I was discussing the top guys complaints recently and the point I made was that its just a handful who are 'inconvenienced' by the schedule because those guys happen to be appearing in GS and MS semis and finals! I'm sure the other players outside the top 10 or even 20 would not complain if they were winning matches and in that position.

Its all about the money and the points. As the article said, however much time off Nadal's style of play will always mean he will continue to feel the effects on his body. I really don't know what Murray's complaints are. If he wants to win a major then he should be prepared to do the hard yards. That's what the great champions have done in the past and are doing today. Federer skips tournaments when he feels his body needs a rest so I don't see why the others cannot do the same.

As David Lloyd said, these guys earn $10 million + in a season and are given the best of everything from luxury hotels to cars and even fly by private jet. Think of the average player who is probably subject to endless check in queues, searches and not to mention economy class seats! If the top guys waive their mega appearance fees in the smaller tournaments they would have more time off.

The one thing I cannot understand is why Shanghai is in October and then the next two big ones are in Europe. Would it not make sense to move Shanghai to January and maybe push the AO back a bit so that all the players will be at least in the right corner of the globe?

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:19 pm

FedsFan wrote:The one thing I cannot understand is why Shanghai is in October and then the next two big ones are in Europe. Would it not make sense to move Shanghai to January and maybe push the AO back a bit so that all the players will be at least in the right corner of the globe?

TMC used to be in Shanghai(2005-2008), China, prior to the London. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_Masters_Cup

Shanghai Masters should be considered a replacement for TMC/WTF.

As TP and Barry say, the USO and the overall calendar are two separate issues and should be kept separate.

The bottom line, is that financial incentives (or should it be called pure and naked 'greed'?) seem to triumph over listening to self and body. Federer's longevity is very much down to his scheduling.

Others can learn and adjust. thumbsup

DC can be moved a bit, but not by much. It does involve quite a bit of travel, in some cases extreme, for example SUI vs. AUS.

Did Nadal, Murray and Djokovic not play their DC ties close to home? Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

barrystar wrote:
time please wrote:Liked the bit about the dilemna Murray would find himself in if top 3 skipped a major - too true. Would also be a difficult one for Fed, but I don't think boycotting a tournament would be his style, particularly at this point of his career.

Just Murray? There's no way any of the top 4, let alone those below, would boycott a slam. Anyway, that would almost certainly be the wrong target because the ATP does not run slams and sets the calendar for most of the year.

Murray was mentioned in the context of pointing out that the other players might even like to positively encourage the top to boycott a slam - it was just a humorous hypothetical example of showing that the rank and file have a different perspective.

I suppose it was a way of pointing out that he should actually have a slightly different approach to Rafa, who has done it all. I agree with you Fedsfan - Murray just needs to get on with it like Novak has at the moment, and then schedule more lightly when he has given himself a really unassailable gap from the pack in terms of ranking points.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

laverfan wrote:
FedsFan wrote:The one thing I cannot understand is why Shanghai is in October and then the next two big ones are in Europe. Would it not make sense to move Shanghai to January and maybe push the AO back a bit so that all the players will be at least in the right corner of the globe?

TMC used to be in Shanghai(2005-2008), China, prior to the London. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_Masters_Cup

Shanghai Masters should be considered a replacement for TMC/WTF.

As TP and Barry say, the USO and the overall calendar are two separate issues and should be kept separate.

The bottom line, is that financial incentives (or should it be called pure and naked 'greed'?) seem to triumph over listening to self and body. Federer's longevity is very much down to his scheduling.

Others can learn and adjust. thumbsup

DC can be moved a bit, but not by much. It does involve quite a bit of travel, in some cases extreme, for example SUI vs. AUS.

Did Nadal, Murray and Djokovic not play their DC ties close to home? Erm

Yes, I was aware that Shanghai was the venue for the TMC (as it was known then) and it is a MS 1000 now. But that made sense as it was the last 'big' one and then most of the players are on holiday so there is less travel etc. In any case that was just 8 players not 64. I guess its not fair on Aus if the DC was always played away from home.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:16 pm

I really don't know what Murray's complaints are. If he wants to win a major then he should be prepared to do the hard yards.
============================
He doesn't have the body type whereby his 'hard work' would give him an edge, he's too clumsily built, and also has the epidimic known as Rubbish Forehanditis.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:I really don't know what Murray's complaints are. If he wants to win a major then he should be prepared to do the hard yards.
============================
He doesn't have the body type whereby his 'hard work' would give him an edge, he's too clumsily built, and also has the epidimic known as Rubbish Forehanditis.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:02 pm

JM... watch the rubbish forehands in the tenth game. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qIgXhRKVk

... and watch the FH at 3-2 15-15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxV8GG4DF3c

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm

FedsFan wrote:I guess its not fair on Aus if the DC was always played away from home.

Agreed, but setting up a grass court on the Golf Club lawns with bad bounces galore, especially when Kooyong used to have grass and Melbourne has Rod Laver and HiSense arena. Erm I understand why Rafter chose what he chose. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:38 am

Agree the top guys should manage their schedules better. The USO is a completely seperate issue and is the poorest scheudled grandslam with the late start and stupid saturday. I think Murray and the other top guys need to not enter smaller events and events that don't mean as much and save themselves pretty much for the masters and grandslams, and other mandatories. They are only required to enter 18 tournaments representing 22 weeks of play in a 52 week season.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down