The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remaining Pool Game Predictions?

+19
Luckless Pedestrian
mrsuperclear
EnglishReign
TheGreyGhost
Shifty
Thomond
Feckless Rogue
bedfordwelsh
dummy_half
rodders
LondonTiger
Jenifer McLadyboy
Bullsbok
kiakahaaotearoa
gelodge
Boyne
tomhughesnice
Great White
Pot Noodle Miner
23 posters

Go down

Remaining Pool Game Predictions? Empty Remaining Pool Game Predictions?

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

so how do we all see the remaining pool games panning out?

heres my guess
SA 35 - 21 Samoa
Aus 102 - 7 Russia
Eng 20 - 13 Sco
Fra 39 - 22 Tonga
Arg 37 - 14 Georgia
Ire 21 - 12 Ita
NZ 61 - 10 Can
Wal 31 - 18 Fiji
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Remaining Pool Game Predictions? Empty Re: Remaining Pool Game Predictions?

Post by Great White Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:48 am

Thats rather disengenuous to Russia I think.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Pot Noodle Miner wrote:
SA 35 - 21 Samoa
Aus 102 - 7 Russia
Eng 20 - 13 Sco
Fra 39 - 22 Tonga
Arg 37 - 14 Georgia
Ire 21 - 12 Ita
NZ 61 - 10 Can
Wal 31 - 18 Fiji

Mostly agree.

I think the Eng 20 - 12 Sco as I dont think Scotland will score a try.

Aus 80 - 7 Russia, dont think they'll make 100. Even though Russia probably are the worst team in the competition.

Wales 31 - 10, think they'l be a bigger margin of victory. Fiji are not the team of 2007 anymore.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

[quote="tomhughesnice"]
Pot Noodle Miner wrote:

Aus 80 - 7 Russia, dont think they'll make 100. Even though Russia probably are the worst team in the competition.

You rate Namibia above Russia?

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

Looks pretty good actually.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

tomhughesnice wrote:Wales 31 - 10, think they'l be a bigger margin of victory. Fiji are not the team of 2007 anymore.

Or last autumn?

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

How can Scotland score 13? That´s not divisible by 3.

I see no one is predicting an upset. We´ve had a surprise of sorts every game so who are the main contenders? For me it´s out of Scotland, Italy and Samoa probably in that level of probability to cause an upset.

Plenty of nerves for some teams but no real big match ups. The calm before the quarter final storm.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:36 pm

But the only REAL suprise was Ireland beating Oz wasn't it?

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

i just dont see Samoa upsetting the Boks unless they went out deliberately to lose the game
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

Canada beating Tonga, France losing to NZ, Argentina beating Scotland, Wales almost beating SA, these are kinds of surprises. The Ireland result granted was a huge shock and remains THE upset. But it seems that most think the quarter finals are wrapped up already. Do we have one more pool surprise: can one of these teams be a floater for the big teams?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Canada beating Tonga, France losing to NZ, Argentina beating Scotland, Wales almost beating SA, these are kinds of surprises. The Ireland result granted was a huge shock and remains THE upset. But it seems that most think the quarter finals are wrapped up already. Do we have one more pool surprise: can one of these teams be a floater for the big teams?

It gets less and less likely as the tournament progresses. The minnow nations are all affected by short turn arounds and midweek games.

Scotland, Italy and Samoa in that order could all do it, but it would be a bigger shock than Aus v Ire, and I just can't see it meself.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

Well fair enough. I find it highly unlikely myself. But if those teams have one eye on the quarter finals instead of the game in hand, they could see Scotland, Italy or Samoa turn into banana skins.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

SA v Samoa - Samoa could spring a surprise, but I expect SA to kick for territory, put the pressure on and kick their goals - running in a couple of tries lat to win by 12+

Wales v fiji - Wales should win this by 15+, but if Fiji get a good start who knows what will happen with nerves.

Aus v Russia - Big win, but perhaps not as many tries as scored against Namibia

Ireland v Italy - For me this is the hardest to call. Do Italy believe? Which Ireland will turn up? The Ireland that beat Aus would win quite easily. however the Ireland that played through th e6N (except v England), the warm ups and agains USA/Russia are much easier to beat.

England v Scotland - Scotland have to take risks, while England will look to play as per SA above.

Argentina v Georgia - Argentina to get the try BP.

NZ v Canade - NZ to put the Canada second string to the sword, and threaten the biggest wins so far.

Fance v Tonga - France to play well enough in parts to secure the try BP.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Ireland v Italy - For me this is the hardest to call. Do Italy believe? Which Ireland will turn up? The Ireland that beat Aus would win quite easily. however the Ireland that played through th e6N (except v England), the warm ups and agains USA/Russia are much easier to beat.

England v Scotland - Scotland have to take risks, while England will look to play as per SA above.

For me England Scotland is a lot tighter. Don't see Scotland doing it at all, but I think they have a better chance than Italy.

Having said that. Anything can happen, including England cutting loose v Scotland and going "Swandive city" on their asses, and Ireland "blowing it" V a top drawer Italian performance.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Well fair enough. I find it highly unlikely myself. But if those teams have one eye on the quarter finals instead of the game in hand, they could see Scotland, Italy or Samoa turn into banana skins.
Absolutely. Anyone who has an "eye on the quarter finals" at this stage is a fecken eejit.

Edit: Bar New Zealand and France that is. And Possibly Aus who just need a BP win v Russia to guarantee qualification.

Last edited by Jenifer McLadyboy on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:27 pm

SA 33 - 21 Samoa
Aus 120 - 14 Russia
Eng 27 - 12 Sco
Fra 40 - 18 Tonga
Arg 33 - 14 Georgia
Ire 17 - 24 Ita
NZ 60 - 7 Can
Wal 28 - 18 Fiji.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

roddersm wrote:SA 33 - 21 Samoa
Aus 120 - 14 Russia
Eng 27 - 12 Sco
Fra 40 - 18 Tonga
Arg 33 - 14 Georgia
Ire 17 - 24 Ita
NZ 60 - 7 Can
Wal 28 - 18 Fiji.

Ah, I see what you did there Rodders. Trying to beat the mocker gods and reclaim underdog status for us. Fair play.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

I wish I was Jennifer. I've got a bad feeling about this one. That performance against Russia was very sloppy and I think we may pay the price for making so many changes since the Australia game.

I think we've got our selection wrong for this one and if POC is out that is huge blow.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

roddersm wrote:I wish I was Jennifer. I've got a bad feeling about this one. That performance against Russia was very sloppy and I think we may pay the price for making so many changes since the Australia game.

I think we've got our selection wrong for this one and if POC is out that is huge blow.
That is the most pessimistic post I have ever read. Italy are a hard team to play against. They are good in the set piece, their no 8 is sex on legs, But they have feck all behind the scrum, they made hard work of the USA game, while our lads had their feet up in Dunedin.

Our best guys are well rested and raring to go. I have heard no rumours about Paulie, and we have a "full deck" for Sunday allegedly.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

POC is a doubt for Sunday and is still rehabbing.

I'd love to be more positive but I think we have made a big mistake by changing our half backs for this game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

I don´t know which is worse rodders. Thinking you´re going to win and getting beaten or thinking you´re going to lose and having it proven right. Your only comfort is putting a few bob on the other team.

But chin up mate. You´re one match off avoiding SA in the quarters, one match away from topping your pool and one match away from waving bye to the plane back to Europe with all the crushed hopes in it.

So there´s a lot to be happy about. Don´t get down in the dumps for winning. That´s like having Rhianna in a bikini on your farm and telling her to put some clothes on. There´s a motive for doing so but it doesn´t mean it makes any sense nor in any way justify it. Have a little faith. Where´s the belief that was so evident leading up to the Aussie match? Keep it clean, keep it green, keep the dream alive.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

roddersm wrote:POC is a doubt for Sunday and is still rehabbing.

I'd love to be more positive but I think we have made a big mistake by changing our half backs for this game.
The team's not out until Friday. What rumours have you heard?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:59 pm

rodders is BOD!

A little more faith from the captain please.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:01 pm

Rodders
POC would be a big loss for you, and turn a match that should have been an Ireland win (not necessarily comfortable, but about the same as my expectation of England v Scotland - probably a match that ends up looking better on the final score than the first 60 minutes suggested) into a real struggle. Still thik you have enough quality, especially in the back row, but it won't be an easy match.

There aren't many players Ireland can't do without (again, as with England, I think there are many areas of the squad where the gap between starter and back-up is narrow), but POC would be one of the few (along with your TH prop - not sure the same applies to BOD any more) where his absence really weakens the team markedly.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:46 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

POC is an injury doubt and Cullen to fill in if he doesn't make it. Murray and ROG at halfback.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

roddersm wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

POC is an injury doubt and Cullen to fill in if he doesn't make it. Murray and ROG at halfback.

We can still win.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm

Yes of course we can but Kidney has made some odd calls since the Australia game and I think some of our momentum has been lost.

I think we've made this harder for ourselves than it needs to be. Hopefully we can come up with a big performance but I wish Kidney would stop tinkering with the side.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

Italy have, since their inclusion in the 6 Nations pulled off some great wins, biggest be France last season.

That said surely if Ireland were to lose it would be about more than just the half backs, these games are won and lost up front, Irelands 2nd row and back row combo are, IMO far superior to Italys so that sets the foundation.

But its all about doing it on the day I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

Since Italy joined the 6 Nations we have a 100% win rate against them. I'd be very surprised if they beat us now.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

Rodders,do you expect Italy to score 3 tries? The likelihood of that happening is pretty slim. When did Italy last score 3 tries and win against one of the top 5 nations? I'm guessing never!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:11 pm

Look pretty good predicitions to me Pot Noodle Miner thumbsup
Italy had a game 4 days ago, they will not upset Ireland, but are capable of putting a few dents in the armour before the Wales game.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

I reckon Tonga will knock over France.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:01 pm

Thomond wrote:Rodders,do you expect Italy to score 3 tries? The likelihood of that happening is pretty slim. When did Italy last score 3 tries and win against one of the top 5 nations? I'm guessing never!

No I expect them to score 1 unconverted try, 1 penalty try and kick 3 penalties. `
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:07 pm

If you think Ireland will lose to Italy, you've lost the plot.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:13 pm

roddersm wrote:No I expect them to score 1 unconverted try, 1 penalty try and kick 3 penalties. `

Rodders you're some pessimistic fella, aren't ya? Do you really think they'll score a penalty try against us? Australia did reasonably well against Italy in the scrum and what did we do to Australia? Castro is a very good prop but Healy held his own in the HC. I really think you're building Italy up to be something they're not. Yes, they nearly beat us in the 6N but it was in Rome, we had Fitz at FB and TOL at SH and several injuries. Not to mention how many chances we squandered (remember BOD missed pass to McFadden who would have been in on his debut? D'arcy dropping the ball about 5m out?). It's a completely different game, with completely different players at a different venue, country and continent, and we're coming off the back of a victory over Australia. I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion, but there's a reason Italy have never beaten us in the six nations and we're 1/9 to win. Italy would have to play out of their skin and we'd have to play awful. And even then it's not a guarantee when ROG is there to score a DG. I'm sure that's exactly what the Aussies would have said about us two weeks ago, and I am wary of that, but I just don't see the same threat from Italy that we gave the Aussies.

Stop building up Italy and being so pessimistic boss. guinness

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

Hey it was me that called the victory against Australia and I got that one right Wink, I'm surprised people are writing Italy off.

They are going to attack us in the tight 5 were we are missing our pack leader and back up prop and run hard at our 9, 10, 12 channel were we are playing a new halfback combination and D'arcy is not 100% fit. Healy is playing his 3rd game on the trot against one of the worlds best tight heads.

BOD too is clearly not fit and if you look at the IRFU pictures he seems to have a very limited involvment in training. Bowe too didn't train until wednesday.

Add those things to the fact that Italy are in very good form and have everything to play for and I think that spells trouble for Ireland.

If we do win I think it will be a very close game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

I think the SA v Sam and Eng v Sco games will be close on the scoreboard but that won't actually teel the true story and will be comfortable wins for SA and Eng.

Scotland hardly looked like scoring against the Pumas and can't see them troubling Englands defence.

Paterson will as ever be Mr Reiliable and kick the goals so Englands discipline has to be spot on
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

Does anyone know who'll be refereeing England v Scotland?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Does anyone know who'll be refereeing England v Scotland?

Match Officials
Referee: Craig Joubert (RSA)
Touch Judge: Nigel Owens (WAL)
Touch Judge: Jérôme Garces (FRA)
TV match official: Tim Hayes (WAL)

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

Merci, whocares!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Precisely, who cares?

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

roddersm wrote:
Thomond wrote:Rodders,do you expect Italy to score 3 tries? The likelihood of that happening is pretty slim. When did Italy last score 3 tries and win against one of the top 5 nations? I'm guessing never!

No I expect them to score 1 unconverted try, 1 penalty try and kick 3 penalties. `

You must be assuming that ireland are going to give away a huge amount of penalties the Red Zone.

Lets face MB is some kicker right?

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

caoimhincentre wrote:
roddersm wrote:

You must be assuming that ireland are going to give away a huge amount of penalties the Red Zone.

Lets face MB is some kicker right?

I can't believe people took that comment literally. How the flip can I predict that? Headscratch

I think Italy will dominate territory and I think ROG will try and run a lot of ball which may put us under a lot of pressure if we don't dominate the set piece.

ROG is playing very loose rugby these days. It worked against Russia to an extent because they weren't able to capitalise on our mistakes for the most part but against England at Landsdowne ROG ran us into trouble on serveral occaisions. His kicking from hand has been very loose too and I think we've picked a side that plays right into Italy's hands.

It all comes down to how the pack go. There will be a lot of pressure on Rory Best, Mike and Cian Healy to keep up their excellent form because on the evidence of the Russia game we have no backup for any of these guys especially if Court is out.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

roddersm wrote:especially if Court is out.
Have you any evidence for him being out. Or is it because he was not there last week, which could just have been to give Buckley a run on both sides just in case, and give the starting props a half each to keep them fit.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

SA 28 - 21 Samoa
Aus 78 - 6 Russia
Eng 29 - 22 Sco
Fra 44 - 13 Tonga
Arg 36 - 15 Georgia
Ire 26 - 19 Ita
NZ 48 - 6 Can
Wal 39 - 15 Fiji

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:48 pm

After the Ireland/Australia some said it was the biggest result in Ireland's history. I wasn't so sure, but could see why people might say that.

If Italy beat Ireland, it will without a doubt be the biggest result in Italy's history in my opinion, as it would most probably lead to Italy's first pool stage qualification.

Bergamasco scored 5/7 penalties (and his only conversion) in their 22-21 win over France in March, so he's got the ability if not the consistency.

I think it will be close, and ultimately I think Ireland will win, but I'm not writing Italy (or Scotland, or Fiji, or Samoa, or Tonga) off!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:49 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
roddersm wrote:especially if Court is out.
Have you any evidence for him being out. Or is it because he was not there last week, which could just have been to give Buckley a run on both sides just in case, and give the starting props a half each to keep them fit.

No we'll find out tomorrow for sure when they announce the side. If he is out that would be a massive blow.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down