The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuart Meaker England Call Up!!

+2
Carrotdude
MuchHappierSurreyFan
6 posters

Go down

Stuart Meaker England Call Up!!  Empty Stuart Meaker England Call Up!!

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

Meaker has been called up to the England squad for the one day tour of India. While I would like to congratulate him I have to say I have a few reservations about this. There is no doubt that in the County Championship this season he stepped up to the plate taking wickets, causing all sorts of problems especially with his pace. Though showing progress in the longer form of the game, as a Surrey fan I have always worried about him in limited overs cricket. He does not have the variation of Dernbach and though quick he does like to bowl just short of a length and tends to go for quite a lot of runs. In one day games he conceded almost 7 runs an over in the CB40 and almost ten an over in the T20's I also need to point out that he didn't often bowl in the power plays or at the end of an innings.

Anyway despite my reservations well done to the lad I really hope he proves my doubts were misplaced and we see Surrey bowlers (Meaker,Dernbach poss KP) ripping through the Indian ranks. Very Happy

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Stuart Meaker England Call Up!!  Empty Re: Stuart Meaker England Call Up!!

Post by Guest Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

very suprised about meaker being picked, he is too erratic in odi cricket, and i think he will sit up nicely on the indian pitches, he should have had a go in the home games before sending him to india.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:45 pm

Like the name change MHSF!

I have to agree with everything you have written, but I am very happy for Stuart to be selected. The England selectors obviously like what they have seen, obviously his extra pace is seen as an asset for the flat pitches we will likely face. I don't expect him to play much if at all during the series though but I am hoping he will learn a lot and become a better bowler for the experience.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

(1) How do Meaker's stats for last season compare with Will Gidman's?

(2) Who is this MuchHappierSurreyFan character? Is he at all related to depressedsurreyfan? Have they ever been seen together in the same forum?

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:31 am

lol yh will gidman has clas season, as did DAVE MASTERS, masters for the england squad

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

Much Happier,

Glad you are! Very Happy

Meaker is a surprising and interesting choice. Not selected for Surrey's CB40 side but chosen for England's ODI squad. Lacks consistency but probably has more promise and raw potential than any other fast bowler around. England clearly have seen something in him and want to develop it.

I think his selection is more to do with the future role that England envisage for him than this ODI series against India.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

im just staggered that meaker is in the squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:19 pm

I agree with everything guildofr has said, I doubt he'll play except maybe in a dead rubber at the end of the series, this is all about the future for the experience and for him to learn. Hopefully he'll come back a better bowler.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:08 am

i just think that there are better players who should have gone out there before meaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 08 Oct 2011, 7:57 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i just think that there are better players who should have gone out there before meaker

Completely agree CF, I've got to admit that I didn't see that much of Meaker last season but what I did see I wasn't overly impressed by...

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

Gregers - I've seen Meaker quite a bit. The lad's good, trust me. Possesses real pace with the capability to take top order wickets and blow away the tail.

As mentioned in my earlier post above, lacks consistency and is currently better suited to the longer format than one day games. A bit surprising therefore that he's been chosen for a ODI series. However, England have clearly seen something in him and regard this tour as giving him experience for the future.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:20 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Gregers - I've seen Meaker quite a bit. The lad's good, trust me. Possesses real pace with the capability to take top order wickets and blow away the tail.

As mentioned in my earlier post above, lacks consistency and is currently better suited to the longer format than one day games. A bit surprising therefore that he's been chosen for a ODI series. However, England have clearly seen something in him and regard this tour as giving him experience for the future.

he maybe good, but he isnt ready for internatilnal cricket, he sprays it around too much in one day cricket.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:44 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:
he isnt ready for internatilnal cricket

If you've read my posts, you'll know I agree with that. I suspect the England selectors might also agree. However, I believe and certainly hope that the reason for his selection is they see so much potential in him that they're willing to use this tour to help get him ready for international cricket. A worthwhile future investment.

My last post on this subject. Let's see what happens ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

Useful start for Meaker in today's warm up match, taking 3 wickets in a very convincing victory. But early days....

Like others I think Meaker has a long way to go before he can be regarded as a front line bowler in limited overs - but maybe he will be a quick learner - he certainly has pace.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:23 am

they were all in a over werent they?

im still suprised that he got the nod over the likes of, woakes, shahzad etc....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down