The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frustrating Kvitova.

+10
Josiah Maiestas
Positively 4th Street
polished_man
barrystar
noleisthebest
droogle
time please
Jeremy_Kyle
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
mthierry
14 posters

Go down

Frustrating Kvitova. Empty Frustrating Kvitova.

Post by mthierry Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:02 pm

I've got high hopes for this girl as the future of the Wta but she's just too inconsistent. The ease with which she was swatted away by Zvonareva today was painful to watch and she showed no fight against a player many would expect her to blow off court.

I think Kvitova along with Azarenka promise a lot more than they're delivering and that's disappointing to say the least.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Frustrating Kvitova. Empty Re: Frustrating Kvitova.

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:30 pm

mthierry,
I don't know why you give so much attention to WTA and women's tennis. The playing field and standard of game is poor, it just can't have any room for discussion here. FO and Wimbledon champions losing out even before qtr finals at the same year at US open, #1 ranked player can't have slam to her name, a former US open champion comes out of a major injury yet able to clear off the field with ease to the finals. What are all these? No player can play consistently. Is it not enough waste of time watching the WTA tournaments that you need to start 3 discussions in 3 days about it.

What is your intent that you are putting these many threads on WTA and women's tennis. It appears like you are being a feminist and trying to bring people into talking about WTA and womens tennis etc etc since no one talks about it. Please don't do it.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Contrary to the opinion of many I don't think the wta is in such a dire condition.

Kvitova is one of the best players I have seen n the last 10 years, certainly much better than the lis of Ivanovic, Yankovic, Safina etc etc. She may be frustrating but she Wimby which is some achiement in my book.

Stosur is an outstanding player.

Serena is Serena. Cljister is great. Just a matter to bring all ladies into play! Wink

Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 pm

It is a tennis forum raiders - where else are you expected to talk about women's tennis!

I don't watch so much women's tennis mthierry (though I used to in the past), I thoroughly enjoyed watching Kvitova win Wimbledon and her form since has been really disappointing. Zvonareva is a very good player so the victory is perhaps not a surprise, just the manner of it from what you are saying?

Perhaps Kvitova is just feeling the pressure of her win at W and the resulting expectation, and that she will suddenly begin just to swing freely again soon

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Wow, if I can't discuss the WTA on a tennis forum, where can I? How does that equate to feminism? I currently discuss the WTA more cos since the US Open, I've watched more of women's tennis.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 pm

I thought she was great at Wimbledon, haven't seen any matches after that. What happened to a big win instilling confidence?

Her game is really attractive, combining power, finesse and flair, and I thought that her Wimbledon win signalled a fresh page in women's tennis.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 pm

droogle wrote:I thought she was great at Wimbledon, haven't seen any matches after that. What happened to a big win instilling confidence?

Her game is really attractive, combining power, finesse and flair, and I thought that her Wimbledon win signalled a fresh page in women's tennis.

Yes, it certainly looked that way. I hadn't really paid her much attention before but weren't the commentators saying that she had been quite fragile mentally before? I suppose the media could have been beginning to label her as the next Navratilova? (didn't get around to reading reports of Ladies final) and those are big shoes to fill.

It was a lovely (and peaceful) display at Wimbledon and I would like to think that was just the beginning for her.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:10 pm

Women's tennis shows the importance of mental strength so clearly.
Women don't have men's steadiness and balance there and tend to be all over the place, and current WTA is the proof .

I really like Kvitova's sweet demeanour, she would be a fantastic new face of WTA if she wasn't such a softie inside.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 pm

time please wrote:It is a tennis forum raiders - where else are you expected to talk about women's tennis!

I agree its a tennis forum, but its not like some woman is going to lose her playing arm if their tennis isn't discussed in 606v2. Its no politics where a them being 50% of the population, must have a right to be discussed in 50% of the topics. Its same across almost all sports, women's game will always have less takers because womens sports is not as attractive as mens. Its not a women's fault, its bilogical, but i see what mthierry is trying in her attempts. He/She just wants to talk about womens tennis as if it a right that they have and we must grant it. Thats how she/he stated in all her previous posts. Or maybe mthierry is looking just to discuss something that is not much discussed in 606v2. Can you not find something more interesting?

For a tennis fan like me, its the tennis that is important, it doesn't matter it is from men or women. If womens game is anywhere close to 'watchable' level ( it is at times I agree like wimbledon 2011 finals or AO finals or FO finals or AO qtrs match between schivone vs Kuznetsova) it will get just as much space as mens game. There is not need to try to promote discussion as mthierry is looking to.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:51 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
time please wrote:It is a tennis forum raiders - where else are you expected to talk about women's tennis!

I agree its a tennis forum, but its not like some woman is going to lose her playing arm if their tennis isn't discussed in 606v2. Its no politics where a them being 50% of the population, must have a right to be discussed in 50% of the topics. Its same across almost all sports, women's game will always have less takers because womens sports is not as attractive as mens. Its not a women's fault, its bilogical, but i see what mthierry is trying in her attempts. He/She just wants to talk about womens tennis as if it a right that they have and we must grant it. Thats how she/he stated in all her previous posts. Or maybe mthierry is looking just to discuss something that is not much discussed in 606v2. Can you not find something more interesting?

For a tennis fan like me, its the tennis that is important, it doesn't matter it is from men or women. If womens game is anywhere close to 'watchable' level ( it is at times I agree like wimbledon 2011 finals or AO finals or FO finals or AO qtrs match between schivone vs Kuznetsova) it will get just as much space as mens game. There is not need to try to promote discussion as mthierry is looking to.

Raider - you are setting up a straw man - mthierry is not trying to get us sucked into a discussion that does not interest us for pc reasons - and I think your approach is rather bossy and unnecessary. The topic of this thread is and mthierry's other threads are perfectly respectable on a tennis forum. If you don't want to discuss it pass it by.

In fact your contribution to this board is notable for the absence of any opening posts. Before you criticise others for popping their heads over the parapet let's see what efforts you are prepared to come up with.

I find Kvitova frustrating just as I find pretty much everyone on teh WTA frustrating - all of them has at least one of these qualities quite a lot of the time: too flakey, too injury prone, too one-dimensional, insufficiently committed to the tour, too precious and diva-like, or too noisy.

There doesn't seem to be anyone like Graff, Evert, Navratilova, Hingis, Mauresmo, Henin, or Davenport. You know, a damn good player who has a bit of art, a bit of interest in how they play, who respects your eardrums, and who, if they won't necessarily die out there for the cause, won't suddenly decide to roll over to a no hoper just like that. I think it's dire.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:00 am

I don't quite understand what your problem is. It's my prerogative to discuss what I find interesting. This forum is dominated by the Fedal fan feuds (particularly from the Fed fans) and I wanted to discuss something I found worth debating which doesn't comform to the usual player bashing on here.

It's your choice to debate the topic or not. You don't have to ram it down my throat if you don't want to.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:44 am

Mthierr mate: I am 100% with you. I follow exclusively the wta and have published numerous interesting articles profiling the best wta players.

polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:44 am

I strongly suggest you to read them all!
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:09 am

mthierry wrote:I don't quite understand what your problem is. It's my prerogative to discuss what I find interesting. This forum is dominated by the Fedal fan feuds (particularly from the Fed fans) and I wanted to discuss something I found worth debating which doesn't comform to the usual player bashing on here.

It's your choice to debate the topic or not. You don't have to ram it down my throat if you don't want to.

Can't say fairer than that. Whilst not a massive fan of the WTA at present I welcome threads offering something a bit different.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:21 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:mthierry,
I don't know why you give so much attention to WTA and women's tennis. The playing field and standard of game is poor, it just can't have any room for discussion here. FO and Wimbledon champions losing out even before qtr finals at the same year at US open, #1 ranked player can't have slam to her name, a former US open champion comes out of a major injury yet able to clear off the field with ease to the finals. What are all these? No player can play consistently. Is it not enough waste of time watching the WTA tournaments that you need to start 3 discussions in 3 days about it.

What is your intent that you are putting these many threads on WTA and women's tennis. It appears like you are being a feminist and trying to bring people into talking about WTA and womens tennis etc etc since no one talks about it. Please don't do it.

I don't know why you give so much attention to commenting against WTA and women's tennis. The playing field and standard of your comments are poor, it just can't have any room for interest here. Your comment is tangential to the discussion and consists of you spouting your own drivel on your dislike of womens tennis and how you don't waste your time watching WTA tournaments.

What is your intent on posting these anti-WTA and anti-women's tennis comments. It appears like you are being a misogynist and trying to prevent people talking about WTA and womens tennis etc etc since you don't want to talk about it yourself. Please don't do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:25 am

What can we expect from Kvitova? Tennis has been poorly represented by the Williams sisters, Clijsters and Henin all of whom were really to be seen outside of the slams. These things filter down to the rest of the tour in general, Wozniacki on the other hand sweats it out every week!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:18 am

I don't exactly know what your problem is either raiders - it wasn't so long ago that a few posters were trying to defend your right to an opinion. Now mthierry has introduced a few threads about aspects of tennis that interest him/her and you are the one trying to stifle someone else thumbsdown

The one thing that drives me mad on this forum is not someone having a pop at my favourite player but posters that spend their posting lives trying to shut someone else up. Why can't they either a) argue the point if responding to an opinion they disagree with, you can argue passionately without being unpleasant to another poster b) ignore the thread and start up a thread of their own with something they feel is worth inviting comment on Erm

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:25 pm

mthierry, Nore, tp, JM, everyone else,

As I read my own comments, they do sound pretty lame and unnecessary. I shouldn't have said those. Good points from all of you as to why shouldn't be doing it. I don't want to be a hateful poster. I must sincerely apologize to you all.

Hug

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 pm

raiders thumbsup

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 am

I don't see the problem with questioning certain elements of the WTA - in no particular order:

being able to make no. 1 by simply entering huge numbers of tournaments winning the lesser ones then falling quickly by the wayside when it counts- step forward Wozzy, JJ, Safina to name but three. It devalues the tour to have a "fake" no.1

the Williams factor of playing part-time (there has to be a balance between their cherry picking of events and the other extreme) and then bulldozing all those others in the draw out of the way (Stosur excluded of course). I've nothing against Venus or Serena but particuarly in Serena's case it often isn't exactly compulsive viewing

screaming and grunting - enough said. They know who they are and should cut it out.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 pm

She seems to be doing OK at the moment. Smile

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Only just caught up with this thread thanks to today's entry. Never thought of women's tennis being so much the poor relation of the men's game as in other sports, possibly as I grew up with the women's game to the fore and possibly as the men and women play together in mixed doubles.
OK, the women's tour is not in a great place at the moment - Kvitova is actually a bright spot. But it should not be seen as some vastly inferior and little-regarded sport like, say, women's soccer or women's cricket. To be fair, both the latter have improved enormously, but u know wot I mean.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:28 am

Kvitova's ahead in the 3rd set but Azarenka is playing some really impressive stuff and has tended to look more comfortable on court. Too close to call still.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:30 am

A really gutsy backhand down the line takes Kvitova to within a game of winning the title. Can she keep it together?

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 am

And she wins. Not the best match but a massive result.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 am

She'll be #1 after the Aus Open.

It's about time the WTA Tour had a deserving #1.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 am

I love Petra's face.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 am

I love Azarenka. I only watch women's tennis when she is playing. Smile

Djoker is in Nadal's head

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:29 am

Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:I love Azarenka. I only watch women's tennis when she is playing. Smile

I'm sure you do...and I bet you get used to that screaming of hers during the first few minutes of the match...and the "celebrations" are not classy, but, still, great Wink ....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down