The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread

+25
Glas a du
Scot Abroad
Comfort
emack2
ryan86
InjuredYetAgain
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Imperialbigdave
RuggerRadge2611
offload
funnyExiledScot
Redrage
doctornickolas
Shifty
dubh_linn
racingnut
R!skysports
21st Century Schizoid Man
Biltong
aitchw
alive555
Cowshot
A World Cup and 3 Finals
TheGreyGhost
George Carlin
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread - Page 2 Empty Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread

Post by George Carlin Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

As all of the streams previously established to discuss the England v Scotland match have now firmly and unanimously descended into flood postings by Welsh fans demanding confirmation that they are now the best Northern Hemisphere side, I thought that I might set out a quiet corner for Scotland fans to speak briefly about what the ramifications of this RWC campaign are likely to be.

Topics (I will lob in by six cents worth) in light of the fact that we will almost certainly be back on a plane tomorrow:

Q1. Do we have a problem with the coaching staff?

A1. I have no problems with Robinson and Steadman. The Scottish team did not look underprepared, unfit or with the wrong tactics. They just seemed unable to execute the plan that they were given. Townsend should gently step aside and let the SRU set about looking for a proper backs coach. The Scottish rugby press should make sure that this happens.

Q2. How will we come to regard this generation of Scottish players?

A2. A combination of unlucky, unsufficiently skilled and unable to keep a cool head when difficult decisions needed to be made.

It has been very difficult, to my mind, to reconcile the exceptional talents of a number of key players in the team (particularly Nathan Hines (Lion, Heineken Cup and Top 14 winner), Kelly Brown (Jeff winner), Chris Cusiter (Lion and Top 14 winner) for example) with the overall mediocrity that we can validly be accused of in our regular team performances. Games at the highest levels are decided on the finest of margins and we have fallen on the wrong side of this too often to avoid proper investigation.

In the professional era, is it true to say that a team is only as good as it's weakest link? Or is it possible to improve as a national side and challenge the best in the world where each aspect of your play is at the very least comparable to your peers but there are one or two truly quality individuals to lift the important aspects of the game when needed?

Is this a blip? Will this come to be regarded as the 'beige' or 'vanilla' generation of Scotland backs? Or the first step on a trudge downhill in terms of a basic backline skillset?

Q3. What changes are necessary to the Scottish game to stop the rot or is a decline inevitable?

A3. Lots has been written and said recently by the new SRU chief executive about how the grassroots must accommodation the needs of the national team and to give full throated support to any restructuring. Practically, will this World Cup failure be able to give the blazered McBumferties in Edinburgh the motivation that they need to make the root and branch change necessary (on the wild assumption that they can correctly identify what that is)?

Q4. What is the immediate future (the next 3 years) likely to hold?

A4. It's always difficult to tell with the new generation of players. A team including a firing Weir, Visser, Jones, Bennett, Gray and Max Evans fills me with hope and there were a few boys becoming men in our pack in the junior world cup this year.

I think that club administration has to improve and stands every chance (or a much better chance) with the new SRU at the helm. The key will be whether to start courting local business and letting wealthy individuals invest and take control of the clubs' staffing and recruiting needs.

Hopefully things will not dip lower before those in charge see that the ship has now sunk below the water line.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm

On Visser I do think he'll make a difference. He's a natural try scorer and those make a difference. The only natural try scorer we had in the side was Danielli, and you could immediately see why he should have started against Argentina. The chance he created against England was purely try scoring instincts, and something Lamont on the wing doesn't really have.

Visser is better than Danielli though, and if we can get Visser and Lee Jones on the wings, with Evans or Ansbro at 13 and Rory Lamont at 15, then we have personnel in the side that should be more capable of converting breaks. As ever, the key will be finding the playmakers inside to create those opportunities. Hopefully Laidlaw and Jackson will get some time together in the coming 6 Nations, and that we rest on having Sean Lamont at 12 until someone better comes along.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

Everyone talking up laidlaw . Is he good ? Is he better than Blair , is he better than cusiter , is he better than lawson , and why wasn't he at wc ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

alive555 wrote:Everyone talking up laidlaw . Is he good ? Is he better than Blair , is he better than cusiter , is he better than lawson , and why wasn't he at wc ?

No he's not better than the three we have at the moment but Blair is 30, Cusiter is 29 and Lawson is 30. Laidlaw is only 25 and players like him need international experience otherwise it'll be too late. I hope he's included in the 6N squad (depending on injury and performances) and actually gets some playing time.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

I want to see us play at least 3-4 new caps in this 6n . And prefer of they were under 25. Better still under 23

Worked for wales and it worked for Jackson.

Get them in early !

I'm still worried we don't have enough props though ... Anyone out there ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

Think that 3-4 is probably about the limit, you still need an experienced backbone to a team (altho in fairness to Wales, they are doing a decent job of rewriting the theory on that one)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:
alive555 wrote:Everyone talking up laidlaw . Is he good ? Is he better than Blair , is he better than cusiter , is he better than lawson , and why wasn't he at wc ?

No he's not better than the three we have at the moment but Blair is 30, Cusiter is 29 and Lawson is 30. Laidlaw is only 25 and players like him need international experience otherwise it'll be too late. I hope he's included in the 6N squad (depending on injury and performances) and actually gets some playing time.

On current form, I would actually have him ahead of those three. He was made captain of edinburgh after being arguably their best and most consistent player last season, and he seems to be continuing that form directing a ridiculously green edinburgh team this season. Combined with his accurate kicking, I would have taken him as first choice scrumhalf had he been given a full game for scotland in time, which alas did not happen.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:
Scot Abroad wrote:

On current form, I would actually have him ahead of those three. He was made captain of edinburgh after being arguably their best and most consistent player last season, and he seems to be continuing that form directing a ridiculously green edinburgh team this season. Combined with his accurate kicking, I would have taken him as first choice scrumhalf had he been given a full game for scotland in time, which alas did not happen.

I would actually love to see a footballing backline of:

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
11. Evans
12. Weir
13. Ansbro
14. Jones
15. Thompson

Plenty of pace and skill in there.

Laidlaw occasionally looks brittle and never quite as combative as Cusiter but he certainly doesn't ever dial in his performance like Blair and is a superior rugby brain to all current contenders, IMHO.

To all those who don't know, an enormous, gargantuan plus is that Laidlaw can also kick for goal at a reasonably high percentage. No need for His Mossyness ever again and we can free up the 15 for a genuine strike runner like Ramont or Thompson (whom I have always rated).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

alive555 wrote:I want to see us play at least 3-4 new caps in this 6n . And prefer of they were under 25. Better still under 23

Worked for wales and it worked for Jackson.

Get them in early !

I'm still worried we don't have enough props though ... Anyone out there ?

No point in setting targets for debutants. Just picked the form players. As above, I've suggested that there are a couple of newbies that I think should make the squad assuming they continue playing at their current level, but as regards the 1st XV I just want to see the best players picked.

It's starting to annoy me that people keep using Wales as an example of a team that "gambled on youth". They did no such thing. Lydiate, Priestland and co were picked solely because they were the best performing players in their position. Had they each been 34 then Gatland would have picked them.

What Gatland did do well was ignore reputation, so players like Ian Gough, Jonathan Thomas, Marytn Williams and Ryan Jones were made to earn their slots in the squad, and several didn't make it. That's where we need to follow their example.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:52 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:What Gatland did do well was ignore reputation, so players like Ian Gough, Jonathan Thomas, Marytn Williams and Ryan Jones were made to earn their slots in the squad, and several didn't make it. That's where we need to follow their example.

I agree with this statement, however it was Murray's reputation that earned him his spot on the plane to NZ, he was garbage in the 6N although I'm led to believe his playing recovered at club level.

Cusiter should never have travelled. He was not 100% fit and to be honest did nothing of note whenever he came on. Laidlaw would have been a better option to take.

Of all the players at our disposal I would like to see Beattie get back to his 2010 form most of all. Our backrow was fantastic last year, and I think the lack of a big bruising ball carrier hurt us against England. Ross Ford did an admirable job but with no Brown or Beattie we lacked the grunt to make some of those hard yards.

As for the backs, Parks and Paterson should be thinking about calling it a day. Parks plays the wrong sort of rugby and Paterson is not enough of a threat with the ball in hand.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

George Carlin wrote:I would actually love to see a footballing backline of:

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
11. Evans
12. Weir
13. Ansbro
14. Jones
15. Thompson

Plenty of pace and skill in there.

Were I constructing a backline for the 6 Nations next year, ignoring form and simply looking for a side with more balance, I'd go with the following:

9.Laidlaw (kicker)
10.Jackson
11.Visser
12.S Lamont
13.Ansbro
14.Evans
15.R Lamont

Subs: Cusiter, Weir and Thompson

Squad extras - Lawson, CP, NDL and Danielli

The "A" team backline would look like this:

9.Blair (c)
10.Hunter
11.Jones
12.King
13.Scott
14.Walker
15.Hogg

Subs: Gregor, Leonard and Cairns

Squad extras: Pyrgos, Godman, Dewey and Shaw

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:04 pm

visser not qualified till june so forget about him this 6n

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:What Gatland did do well was ignore reputation, so players like Ian Gough, Jonathan Thomas, Marytn Williams and Ryan Jones were made to earn their slots in the squad, and several didn't make it. That's where we need to follow their example.

I agree with this statement, however it was Murray's reputation that earned him his spot on the plane to NZ, he was garbage in the 6N although I'm led to believe his playing recovered at club level.

Cusiter should never have travelled. He was not 100% fit and to be honest did nothing of note whenever he came on. Laidlaw would have been a better option to take.

Of all the players at our disposal I would like to see Beattie get back to his 2010 form most of all. Our backrow was fantastic last year, and I think the lack of a big bruising ball carrier hurt us against England. Ross Ford did an admirable job but with no Brown or Beattie we lacked the grunt to make some of those hard yards.

As for the backs, Parks and Paterson should be thinking about calling it a day. Parks plays the wrong sort of rugby and Paterson is not enough of a threat with the ball in hand.

I think it was Murray's Newcastle form towards the end of the season actually that rescued him. I agree on Cusiter though. Not fit and not on form.

I think Parks should retire as well. He's been a great servant to Scottish rugby (and I truly believe that) but at the end of the day we need to move on from his style of play and our dependency on his boot. He's comfortably been the best stand-off in Scottish rugby for the last 5 years, and I think we saw signs in Jackson's performance against Argentina that he's learnt some good stuff from Parks.

I don't think CP should retire. He should continue to exert pressure on Thompson at Edinburgh and force Thompson to oust him from the starting XV. I don't want players getting into the Scotland squad by default, and so far Thompson needs to do more to earn the right to start.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm

alive555 wrote:visser not qualified till june so forget about him this 6n

Thanks, I knew it was 2012 but wasn't sure of the exact date.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

Thompson would not be starting by default, certainly not in Navy Blue anyway. Hogg, Rory Lamont, Cuthbert and Thompson I would expect to all be in the mix for a 6N start.

What hurts the most about Scotland at rugby is a couple of seasons ago we felt we had a bright future ahead of us, here we are 2 seasons later saying the same things we said 2 seasons ago.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:45 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Thompson would not be starting by default, certainly not in Navy Blue anyway. Hogg, Rory Lamont, Cuthbert and Thompson I would expect to all be in the mix for a 6N start.

What hurts the most about Scotland at rugby is a couple of seasons ago we felt we had a bright future ahead of us, here we are 2 seasons later saying the same things we said 2 seasons ago.

+1

We are sounding like a broken record. I've given up saying that we just 'need to click' and we'll be there.

Pretty obvious it's not going to happen anytime soon.

I'm still massively depressed that there is no personal interst in the WC now that Scotland are out but I try to remain positive in that the difference between returning early and winning the group was conceding 2 late tries.

If we had the calibre of backs Wales had, we'd be devastating.

I fear for the six nations especially since we are playing Italy away next year, but in the good old tradition of building up my belief that we'll be up there come February, I can see yet more disappointment end of March.

The right noises seem to be coming out of Murrayfield at the moment though - who knows what's going to happen but I know this for sure: my long painful suffering will continue as the support will never leave.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:15 pm

We just need to click.... Yahoo

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Thompson would not be starting by default, certainly not in Navy Blue anyway. Hogg, Rory Lamont, Cuthbert and Thompson I would expect to all be in the mix for a 6N start.

What I meant was I don't want fans to wish for CPs retiral purely to allow Thompson to play 15 for Edinburgh for the sake of change, and therefore giving him a shot at Scotland. I want him to earn it. I want Bradley to drop CP to the bench because Thompson is playing well. As you say, there will be plenty competition for the Scotland 15 jersey next season, and I hope Robinson gives all the candidates an equal chance, regardless of age, experience or reputation.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:04 pm

I think it is however time for Patterson to retire from International Rugby. Mainly because I do not think he is good enough any more

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:08 pm

Actually my Retiree list would be (forced or encouraged)

Parks - Forced
Morrison - Forced
Patterson - Encouraged
NDL - Forced
Danielli - Forced
Dickinson - Forced
Hines - Asked nicely (due to his size)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

what would be everyones first choice scottish backline come June (when Visser is available)?

Obviously it'd be guessing around form, just interested in who you guys think could solve the creativity issue. You have a lot of "solid" runners but none too spectacular (although I probably wouldnt say that to Sean Lamont's face) but I cant think of anyone who'd really spark a backline? A Foden/North type player, in the sense that they just seem to make something happen?

Ansboro looks like he could be an excellant 13 by the way. Worth persevering with.

Braveheart

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:27 pm

Comfort wrote:what would be everyones first choice scottish backline come June (when Visser is available)?

Braveheart

It's not going to happen in a thousand years, but on the assumption everyone is fit I would love to see:

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
12. Bennett
13. Ansbro

11. Visser
14. Jones
15. Ramont

Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

I don't think you need to force players to retire, you just don't pick them if they don't deserve to play.

Forcing someone like Dickinson to retire is ridiculous. It's not his fault he's better than any other looseheads we have except for Chunk.

Why retire Hines? Do we think Fraser McKenzie is that good? Great, then pick him instead. If Hamilton and Gray were to be injured ahead of the 6 Nations, personally I'd want Hines to start.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

I thought Bennett was (a) injured, (b) only really an outside centre or wing and (c) someone who has barely played professional rugby ever.

I've never seen him play, so were I to pick him I'd be making exactly the same mistake we're hoping Robinson avoids: picking on reputation.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think Parks should retire as well. He's been a great servant to Scottish rugby

Now I understand the "funny" in FunnyExiledScot.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:15 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I think Parks should retire as well. He's been a great servant to Scottish rugby

I have never ever been Parks biggest fan, but we can't escape the fact that in the 2010 6N he was arguably our best player who's masterful kicking secured one of the most memorable games of rugby I have ever watched (Ireland in Croker).

Picking Bennet would be a mistake. However if Matt Scott can play like he played against Munster consistantly he would be my choice at 13. It is at 12 where our biggest problem lies. If Jackson can't get back into the Glasgow squad by displacing Weir I would like to see how he does at 12. He is solid in defence, has a reasonable boot and would create space for whoever playes at 13 (De Luca, Ansbro or possibly Scott).

Personally I think NDL is again being singled out for stick, I felt he did little wrong again when he came on, ok I was as disapointed as everyone else to see him butcher that try Scoring oppertunity however even if he had gathered Wilko was lying in wait ready to smash whoever picked it up. I don't want to seem like I am defending someone for no reason, however he is a decent player when he gets decent ball. He never gets decent ball when playing for Scotland.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:16 pm

FES - retire would mean not pick

I may be taking liberties with expecting others to be able to select.

Dickinson is so bad I think it would be better to have a marshmallow on the pitch instead of him. In both games as soon as he came on our scrum went backwards faster than Ashton can sprint.

If that is an international level prop, then we are doomed, doomed I say

Hines is past it now

I actually thought Blair had a excellent world cup - except for one pass

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:

Personally I think NDL is again being singled out for stick, I felt he did little wrong again when he came on, ok I was as disapointed as everyone else to see him butcher that try Scoring oppertunity however even if he had gathered Wilko was lying in wait ready to smash whoever picked it up. I don't want to seem like I am defending someone for no reason, however he is a decent player when he gets decent ball. He never gets decent ball when playing for Scotland.

Sorry I have to disagree with this. I have never seen him play well. He ALWAYS looks paniced. He always throws passes without looking, he always gets turned over, he can not pass to his right, he drops the ball and generally had hands like milk producers

It has come to the stage where my English GF cringes everytime his name is mentioned on TV, followed up with the question, what has he coc k ed up this time - the sad thing is, there seems to be an answer 90% of the time

Terrible terrible player

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm

Riskysports wrote:Dickinson is so bad I think it would be better to have a marshmallow on the pitch instead of him. In both games as soon as he came on our scrum went backwards faster than Ashton can sprint.

He does bring a lot in the loose and to be honest runs better support lines than most of our backs. Try against Italy in the warm ups was a good example.

Edinburgh seem to have a solid scrum no matter who plays. Obviously Cross, Chunk and Ford are 1st choice but our scrum rarely embarrases us. The lineout is a wee bit gash though, probably through lack of locks rather than anything else.

As for De Luca, 9 times out of 10 pretty much anything Scotland create has started with him or Max Evans. It was his passing that put Lamont over against France in the 6N and Ansbro over against Ireland in the warm ups. You want someone who can create oppertunities to score? He is the best bet at the moment. I'm not denying he makes mistakes and gets turned over quite a bit, but getting turned over is going to happen when someone makes breaks. What are you going to say to him, "Sorry Nick you are going to have to not slow down because our forwards can't keep up." If he had support either in the form of our back row or backs who can counter ruck properly we would have no problems.

Or we could drop NDL and go back to playing crash ball rugby. Feck it let'd just go with the Morrison and Dewey combination thumbsup

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm

I love Scottish people. Put you together and you have blood feuds, take you over the nearest border and you are like blood brothers.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:35 pm

Radge, not trying to argue with the point you made re: de luca, but it was ansbro who put Lamont over against france.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:41 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Radge, not trying to argue with the point you made re: de luca, but it was ansbro who put Lamont over against france.

I stand corrected, however I still think De Luca is the best we have in the centre at the moment, I say that because I would rather see Ansbro play on the wing, he seems more comfortable there than at 13. As I said it's a 10-12 partnership we need. Thats where our problems stem from, not De Luca or any one person. The machine breaks down when at 12 we have a solid if unspectacular Lamont who perhaps holds onto the ball longer than neccesary and Morrison who knows nothing else other than to run full tilt at his opposite number.

It would not be so bad if he could crash through the gain line, he doesn't though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

Radge, not trying to argue with the point you made re Morrision - but he runs very slowly into contact and then slows down again Erm

But agree do not want the crash ball merchants -

Well I may stand alone on the NDL thing, but I just think he causes us more issues than opportunities - I would be DELIGHTED to be proved wrong

I actaulyl like Lamont at 12, as he breaks the line most times. If he played there for a season, I think he would learn to off load more.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:45 pm

For the long term future of Scottish rugby Scotland need to sort out their two clubs Glasgow and Edinburgh. They need to be able to compete with the top clubs in the celtic league.

If the two flagship Scottish clubs improve then Scotland as an international side will inevitably be stronger.

Scotland also need to break the age old fact that Scotland cannot score tries. A new ethos is needed - a fresh start. You have good strength in depth in the backrow so use it!

The likes of Evans,the Lamont Bros could potentially be dangerous if they are used well enough.

You need a new backs coach. Why not bring in Brian Ashton?

The next few 6 nations you should forget about results. Simply focus on performances and rebuilding. Your results haven't been great so it's not exactly if you can get worse.

If Scotland start scoring tries and winning matches with them the fans will get behind the side.

Someone in Scotland needs to splash the cash.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

Riskysports wrote:Dickinson is so bad I think it would be better to have a marshmallow on the pitch instead of him. In both games as soon as he came on our scrum went backwards faster than Ashton can sprint.

If that is an international level prop, then we are doomed, doomed I say

Misses the point though really. Robinson can only select from the pool of players available. Dickinson has outperformed Welsh, Grant and Traynor. Hate Dickinson all you like, personally I'd focus your wrath on those players who can't make a convincing case to replace him. Doesn't seem fair that so many attack someone like Dickinson, and yet we don't have threads discussing how completely useless Jon Welsh was last season at Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:01 pm

beshocked wrote:For the long term future of Scottish rugby Scotland need to sort out their two clubs Glasgow and Edinburgh. They need to be able to compete with the top clubs in the celtic league.

If the two flagship Scottish clubs improve then Scotland as an international side will inevitably be stronger.

Scotland also need to break the age old fact that Scotland cannot score tries. A new ethos is needed - a fresh start. You have good strength in depth in the backrow so use it!

The likes of Evans,the Lamont Bros could potentially be dangerous if they are used well enough.

The next few 6 nations you should forget about results. Simply focus on performances and rebuilding. Your results haven't been great so it's not exactly if you can get worse.

If Scotland start scoring tries and winning matches with them the fans will get behind the side.

Can't argue with any of that, beshocked thumbsup

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

Apart from the bit about forgetting about results.

"Someone in Scotland needs to splash the cash"

Have you been to Scotland??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

beshocked wrote:For the long term future of Scottish rugby Scotland need to sort out their two clubs Glasgow and Edinburgh. They need to be able to compete with the top clubs in the celtic league.

Glasgow and Edinburgh have competed with the top clubs in the Celtic league. Glasgow came third in the 2009/10 season reaching the playoff finals. Edinburgh came second in the leaue in 2008/09. Admitedly, both had poor seasons last year and are sitting with 2 wins from 5 games in the current season.

I agree with the other points though. Lets hope the new bosses at the SRU aren't just full of hot air!

As a side question. With the RWC final being played on Sunday, if Scotland had made it, do you think Murray would have refused to play?

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

Riskysports wrote:Sorry I have to disagree with this. I have never seen him play well. He ALWAYS looks paniced. He always throws passes without looking, he always gets turned over, he can not pass to his right, he drops the ball and generally had hands like milk producers

It has come to the stage where my English GF cringes everytime his name is mentioned on TV, followed up with the question, what has he coc k ed up this time - the sad thing is, there seems to be an answer 90% of the time

Terrible terrible player

You obviously missed the games against Wales and Ireland in the 2010 6 Nations, and Glasgow's fixtures at the end of that season as well.

He's scored 260 points for Scotland. Not everyone's cup of tea, myself included, but for much of his Scotland career he was the only stand-off putting his hand up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

[quote="Scot Abroad"]
beshocked wrote:As a side question. With the RWC final being played on Sunday, if Scotland had made it, do you think Murray would have refused to play?

Yes, whatever people think about his decision, he is very committed to his faith

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm

funnyexiledscot I have been to Scotland yes.

Maybe you could get Gordon Brown and Alastair Darling to donate something out of their pension fund? If they refuse I am sure you can think of methods to get them to agree. I recommend the rack, the stocks, the iron maiden and the ducking stool as incentives to comply.

I would say that £$%^&* Tony Blair too. Imagine how much money Blair has stashed away in the Middle East. It could probably fund the whole SRU 20 times over!

Scot Abroad I meant competing with the top clubs in the celtic league on a regular basis. Also you need to make an impact in Europe.

Essentially you need to sort out your financial worries somehow. Easier said than done.

Yes Murray would have refused.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

FES - I was meaning NDL - if he had scored 260points for Scotland - I would be pleased

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

Apologies. Yes, NDL has been a less impressive performer for Scotland. He didn't disgrace himself at the World Cup, but I think Ansbro is a better player, and he'll have a job getting the jersey from Scott if the Edinburgh game at the weekend was anything to go by.

I agree with the point about sorting out the club game and letting the international set-up take care of itself. Both Edinburgh and Glasgow need to ensure they are servicing the Scottish game properly, and that means keeping a healthy balance of Scots and non-Scots, and working on the key skills in which Scottish rugby is currently lacking (there are quite a few).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:21 pm

Backs for next year:

Laidlaw
Jackson
Visser
Me
Ansboro
S Lamont
R Lamont

Or seriously....

Laidlaw/Cusiter
Jackson
Visser
S Lamont
Ansboro
Evans
R Lamont/Thompson

Agree with the point about Hines staying around - more than adequate cover if anything happened but alas, I see him as another Scott Murray just fading away and being forgotten.

It's a shame there's such feirce backrow competition because I really like Eddie at Glasgow. Reminds me a bit of Jason White.

You know what'll happen in 3-4 years....we'll have a tremendous backline and Poopie forwards so they won't see any ball.

Imagine!!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:22 pm

p.s.

I love the way you write sh* te but poopie is posted instead.

Nice touch

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:36 pm

Not sure I would have cusiter there, unless he seriously proves himself

been out so much with injuries who knows how he will play

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:38 pm

second poster talking about visser .

He's not available till next season !

So looking at above suggestions and taking a gulp of reality I'd say more likely we will have a team v similar to the one we just saw:)

Yum yum

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:29 pm

I think that's broadly right. I don't see many "bolters" coming through in time for the 6 Nations. Leading candidates are Laidlaw, Weir, Scott, Jones, Thompson and Hogg (and maybe Cuthbert).

If I'm making a prediction, I think Laidlaw, Weir and Thompson will make the 6 Nations squad, but not the others, and I don't see any of these guys making the 1st XV realistically in time for the start of the tournament.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:44 pm

I think Harley and Denton also have a fair chance of making the squad, though not the 1st XV.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:23 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I thought Bennett was (a) injured, (b) only really an outside centre or wing and (c) someone who has barely played professional rugby ever.

I've never seen him play, so were I to pick him I'd be making exactly the same mistake we're hoping Robinson avoids: picking on reputation.

FES - my 'local' team is Ayr so I watched him a great deal.

I answered the question that I was asked (whom would I like to see, assuming full fitness), but to answer your questions:

(a) Injured - sadly, yes, he tore cruciate ligaments in his left knee at the arse end of August and should be out for six months. Not what Scottish rugby needs.

(b) Position - he's played both 12 and 13, preferring 13.

(c) Pro - sure, it's early doors - the really annoying thing being that Cotter gave an inteview saying that he was hoping to have given Bennett some game time at the moment in the absence of France's missing world cup starts. Playing age group internationals as he has is a good start in terms of experience, of course, as has training with Glasgow.

As you were.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:09 am

In which case I bow to your superior knowledge, having seen alot of him. I'm extremely excited by his reputed potential, although I still maintain the move away from Glasgow was the wrong call. They had, and still have, a vacancy for talent at 13, and look at how far Stuart Hogg has come in such a short space of time.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next