The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The story of Allan Porter - tragic Salford boxer killed in World War I...

+5
BALTIMORA
6oldenbhoy
miles
Waingro
alexd
9 posters

Go down

The story of Allan Porter - tragic Salford boxer killed in World War I... Empty The story of Allan Porter - tragic Salford boxer killed in World War I...

Post by alexd Sat 01 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

By Miles Templeton

Standing in a forward trench near Bullecourt just before 6.20am on 20 November 1917 the 7th/8th battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers were ready to go over the top in the latest important battle on the Western Front.

They would probably not have known that their attack was merely a feint for a much greater battle to be fought seven miles to the south at Cambrai.

One of these soldiers knew all about the importance of the feint when attacking an opponent, for he had fought over 50 contests in the boxing ring and had achieved considerable success. At zero hour Allan Porter stepped out into no man's land alongside his comrades and advanced towards Tunnel Trench, the objective of the attack. This was to be his final walk.

A hard road

Prior to this the path of his life had taken him along a hard road. Born in early 1892 in Salford, Manchester to Joseph, a bricklayer, and Elizabeth Porter, he was the third of five children. At the age of 17 he commenced a short ring career which, though successful, ended tragically and brutally within only three years, almost costing him his life.

Porter had his first contests in the summer of 1909 for promoter Martin Lane at the Central Boxing Academy in the Palatine Buildings on Deansgate, Manchester. The club moved early in 1910 across the city to Fairfield Street, and it was here that Porter became a favourite. A featherweight, Porter was blessed with exceptionally long reach, the ability to box and with hitting power.

Continue reading:

http://blog.boxinghistory.org.uk/2011/10/they-died-in-war-1-allan-portersalford.html

alexd

http://www.nipperpatdaly.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

The story of Allan Porter - tragic Salford boxer killed in World War I... Empty Re: The story of Allan Porter - tragic Salford boxer killed in World War I...

Post by Waingro Sat 01 Oct 2011, 5:20 pm

Why was he fighting for Ireland they were against us?

Waingro

Back to top Go down

The story of Allan Porter - tragic Salford boxer killed in World War I... Empty Re: The story of Allan Porter - tragic Salford boxer killed in World War I...

Post by miles Sat 01 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

The whole of Ireland (what we now know as Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland) was part of the United Kingdom back in 1917. Over 50,000 Irishmen died fighting for the allies in World War One in any number of famous and long-standing regiments, such as the Connaught Rangers, the Irish Guards, the Leinster Regiment and the Royal Munster Regiment to name but a few. The Irish were not against us during the war, although there was a degree of sympathy for the Axis cause amongst some Southern Catholics. To say that they were so is to do a dis-service to the many brave Irish soldiers, both Protestant and Catholic, who fought and died in the trenches.

miles

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 01 Oct 2011, 6:18 pm

Waingro wrote:Why was he fighting for Ireland they were against us?

Are you being serious?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 01 Oct 2011, 8:20 pm

Yeah that's absolutely correct. They were part of a zulu renegade squad. They carried out deep infiltration operations in and around Gondor.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 01 Oct 2011, 8:37 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

Yeah that's absolutely correct. They were part of a zulu renegade squad. They carried out deep infiltration operations in and around Gondor.

Around the same time Charlie Sheen rode on in with Gandalf and banished the evil Irish!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 01 Oct 2011, 8:48 pm

That's the one. With a few unicorns thrown in for good measure.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 01 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

miles wrote:The whole of Ireland (what we now know as Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland) was part of the United Kingdom back in 1917. Over 50,000 Irishmen died fighting for the allies in World War One in any number of famous and long-standing regiments, such as the Connaught Rangers, the Irish Guards, the Leinster Regiment and the Royal Munster Regiment to name but a few. The Irish were not against us during the war, although there was a degree of sympathy for the Axis cause amongst some Southern Catholics. To say that they were so is to do a dis-service to the many brave Irish soldiers, both Protestant and Catholic, who fought and died in the trenches.

Firstly, thanks Alex for posting another hugely fascinating article.

Miles, presuming you are indeed Miles Templeton, the author of this article, then welcome aboard. Great to have you over here, the articles of yours that alex has posted up have been well received and incredibly interesting.

This one is a really sad story, the hopeless loss of life that came with going over the top is terrible to consider, but the background on his boxing career was intriguing to say the least.

I look forward to your next piece.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
miles wrote:The whole of Ireland (what we now know as Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland) was part of the United Kingdom back in 1917. Over 50,000 Irishmen died fighting for the allies in World War One in any number of famous and long-standing regiments, such as the Connaught Rangers, the Irish Guards, the Leinster Regiment and the Royal Munster Regiment to name but a few. The Irish were not against us during the war, although there was a degree of sympathy for the Axis cause amongst some Southern Catholics. To say that they were so is to do a dis-service to the many brave Irish soldiers, both Protestant and Catholic, who fought and died in the trenches.

Firstly, thanks Alex for posting another hugely fascinating article.

Miles, presuming you are indeed Miles Templeton, the author of this article, then welcome aboard. Great to have you over here, the articles of yours that alex has posted up have been well received and incredibly interesting.

This one is a really sad story, the hopeless loss of life that came with going over the top is terrible to consider, but the background on his boxing career was intriguing to say the least.

I look forward to your next piece.

Thought I was finally getting my recognition then...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by alexd Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm

You're welcome, Fists of Fury - glad you enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure the Miles who posted here is the author.

As the topic's been raised, one notable Irishman who died fighting for the Allies during the Great War was world welterweight champion Tom McCormick, from Dundalk.

We lost a number of top pro boxers through the 1914-18 conflict, Charlie Allum was another:

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/charlie-allum-english-champ-who-died-fighting

alexd

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:53 pm

Tragic, isn't it, and makes you wonder what might have been.

Chances are many of these folk wouldn't have made a huge name for themselves anyway, but the fact that they never got chance to tell us otherwise is a massive shame.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

Would say this though, dedicated their lives to something above boxing.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by alexd Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

Allum and McCormick made their names before the war and, tragically, Porter was forced to hang up his gloves after the terrible beating he suffered.

But you're right, there must have been young future pro boxers or boxers at the fledgling stage of their careers who died in the war, some of whom, for all we know, could have been star names of the 1920s had they survived.

alexd

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:47 am

alex and Miles,

I cannot begin to tell you how much I am enjoying these articles. The history of boxing has fascinated me for very many years, but the material which you have presented here is brand new to me and very much represents hidden treasure.

Thank you both so very much for sharing.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:29 am

Alex and Miles,

I have to say that boxing is not my first sport. However, I like to look in on these threads from time to time and very much echo Windy's comments about these articles. Poignant yet fascinating and immensely readable.

Thank you both.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by miles Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:42 pm

I very much appreciate the kind words that have been posted here in response to the articles that Alex and I are putting together.
You can be sure that we will be posting many more articles in future and I know that if you like these articles then you will like the website, which will go live this side of Christmas.

Miles Templeton

miles

Back to top Go down

Post by alexd Sun 02 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

Thanks fellas. It's great to know these articles are of value to you.

alexd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down