The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup Quarter Finals

+36
TheGreyGhost
mystiroakey
Feckless Rogue
HammerofThunor
dummy_half
glamorganalun
disneychilly
Jenifer McLadyboy
Biltong
LordDowlais
Comfort
mckay1402
rodders
MunsterMac
caoimhincentre
mr_stonelea
Luckless Pedestrian
westisbest
Cowshot
rugbyfan
Knowsit17
Nos na Gaoithe
Pot Noodle Miner
TycroesOsprey
kiakahaaotearoa
Thomond
Cymroglan
majesticimperialman
EnglishReign
Gibson
mrsuperclear
LondonTiger
Bullsbok
Shifty
WillyGilly
Ozzy3213
40 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

World Cup Quarter Finals - Page 2 Empty World Cup Quarter Finals

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:42 am

First topic message reminder :

So, as the dust settles on the pool stages, we have the NH/SH divide in the knockout stage that became a possibility after Ireland took the wind out of the Wallabies sails at Eden Park.

Quarter Finals

Ireland vs. Wales
England vs. France

South Africa vs. Australia
New Zealand vs. Argentina

Pre tournament, New Zealand were overwhleming favourites, and although they are still likely to be so with the bookies, their chances have been dealt a significant blow with the loss of Dan Carter from hereon in. Tri Nations champions Australia also have injury problems, and look as if they could be vulnerable if teams set out their stall against them, and South Africa will miss the impetus that Frans Steyn had given them as he also heads home through injury. Argentina complete the Southern Hemisphere contingent, although they too have injury issues having lost Gonzalo Tiesi in their first pool match, and talisman Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe after the Scotland match.

In the Northern half of the draw, France look all at sea, with a player rebellion brewing, and Lievremont with no idea of his best XV, whilst England have lacked a real cutting edge against the better sides and are dogged by off field incidents. Wales, having narrowly lost to South Africa first up are looking good, and are hopeful of having their injured players back soon, and Ireland have looked assured in disposing of all in their path and have no significant concerns on the injury front.

I don't know what the bookies odds are, but the Northern Hemisphere half of the draw looks more difficult to call than the Southern one.

For what it is worth, I fancy Wales to stop Ireland in their tracks. In Sam Warburton and Rhys Priestland they have two players who have really come of age in this tournament, and in key positions. I can just see them getting the better fo the breakdown, and getting enough decent ball to cause Ireland problems.

England vs. France is also difficult to call. Neither have been at their best, yet both are eminently capable of pulling out a big performance. England will need to be more disciplined, and France will need to be, well French, and play with the Galiic abandon that we know they can. Personally, I think England will wear them down, and set up a clash with the old enemy from across the Severn Bridge in the semi finals.

In the Southern half, I have to go with the Boks, despite tipping Australia before the compeition began. They are so strong defensively, and I can see them wearing down the Aussies and not allowing them to impose their attacking intent on the game. In the final game, despite missing Carter, I expect the AB's to have far to much for a valiant Argentinian side, and they will cruise through to a semi final place.

That's my thoughts on the quarter finals people, what are yours?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

World Cup Quarter Finals - Page 2 Empty Re: World Cup Quarter Finals

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:36 am

but did they remember to pack their dummies?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:36 am

Biltong you should just be thankful that Wales are in the 6N and not the Tri-Nations. They're very fit and strong you know, I'm surprised the rest of can keep up Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:39 am

Well I myself was absolutely shocked to see the old men in our team managing to keep up.

Perhaps that is why we allowed them to play for 60% of the match and we only played for 40% of the match.

It reminds me of the young bull and old bull up on the hill watching the cows in the meadows.

The young bull says to the old bull " let's run down, jump over the fence and have us a cow each."

The old bull looks at the young bull and says " no son, we will take a stroll down, open the gate and have all of them."
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:41 am

I like the cut of that old bulls jib.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:42 am

Laugh Cracker Biltong!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:43 am

Yeah, they say wisdom only comes with age. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:44 am

OK I feckin hope so Biltong, because we have age in abundance! Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:44 am

roddersm wrote: Laugh Cracker Biltong!

Sorry welsh supporters but I am on a roll here.

Rodders, maybe that is why Wales could never put an 80 minutes performance together. Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:46 am

laughing
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:46 am

Look, the Irish posters on this thread, are coming across so arrogantly, they are dismissing Wales without a jot of reasoning other than the Irish team are older and wiser, I am sorry but that just will not crack it for me, and for biltonbek to extract the urine of me for saying that Wales will be far more physical and fitter than anyone else Ireland have played, can you honestly tell me that the Australia forwards are physically stronger and fitter than the Welsh one's ? Also, do you think that Italy, USA and Russia are better than Fiji or Samoa, barring in mind Samoa showed Australia there own behinds in Australia by actually scoring tries ? Look, all I am saying is that nothing is fore gone conclusion, and that Wales will give Ireland a much tougher test than any other nation they have played so far. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:50 am

LordDowlais, I am saying you cannot compare your forwards to a team you haven't played, and by your own admission you questioned the ligitimacy of the Ireish performance with australia not having Moore and Pocock there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

LordDowlais wrote:Look, the Irish posters on this thread, are coming across so arrogantly, they are dismissing Wales without a jot of reasoning other than the Irish team are older and wiser, I am sorry but that just will not crack it for me, and for biltonbek to extract the urine of me for saying that Wales will be far more physical and fitter than anyone else Ireland have played, can you honestly tell me that the Australia forwards are physically stronger and fitter than the Welsh one's ? Also, do you think that Italy, USA and Russia are better than Fiji or Samoa, barring in mind Samoa showed Australia there own behinds in Australia by actually scoring tries ? Look, all I am saying is that nothing is fore gone conclusion, and that Wales will give Ireland a much tougher test than any other nation they have played so far. thumbsup
Italy are a tough pipe hittin set of mother f*&kers. Better that Fiji at this WC? F*&k yeah! Otherwise I agree with you and you will kill us next week. Wink

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:54 am

LordDowlais wrote:Look, the Irish posters on this thread, are coming across so arrogantly, they are dismissing Wales without a jot of reasoning other than the Irish team are older and wiser, I am sorry but that just will not crack it for me, and for biltonbek to extract the urine of me for saying that Wales will be far more physical and fitter than anyone else Ireland have played, can you honestly tell me that the Australia forwards are physically stronger and fitter than the Welsh one's ? Also, do you think that Italy, USA and Russia are better than Fiji or Samoa, barring in mind Samoa showed Australia there own behinds in Australia by actually scoring tries ? Look, all I am saying is that nothing is fore gone conclusion, and that Wales will give Ireland a much tougher test than any other nation they have played so far. thumbsup

your post screams of arrogance.
You are assuming wales are fitter than ireland. what makes you think that. are Ireland only playing 70 min games or something.

Samao played a second string Aus side so your arguement there is rubbish and i fail to see how you think wales are better than austraila

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:58 am

roddersm wrote:Biltong you should just be thankful that Wales are in the 6N and not the Tri-Nations. They're very fit and strong you know, I'm surprised the rest of can keep up Wink

Wales are so hot right now.

... But are they ready for BOD's "blue steel"!

Spoiler:

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:58 am

There's something ironic about claiming that your side is far fitter, stronger and more physical than any other side and then accusing fans of other sides of arrogance Wink.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:59 am

caoimhincentre, i do not think Wales are better than Australia, not by a long shot, I am saying our forwards are more physical and fitter that theirs. Put it this way though, I would feel more confident playing Australia than Ireland in the quarter finals. I just don't think your scrum and lineout have been tested so far, also for the record, I think that Irelands front five forwards are much better than Australia as well. So to finish, I think that Wales will give ireland a much tougher test than annyone else they have played so far. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:06 am

do you not think the italy pack is physical?

For the record also, i think wales are a far, far better team than they were in the six nations and ye beat us then.

i do think you are under estimating us old boys a little and you are not giving our performances in the pool stages any credit what so ever by dismissing the other teams in our group.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:07 am

Ireland are a good side but I can confidently say so are Wales.
When you truly believe in your own side you tend to respect the opposition rather than try and belittle them.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

as far as arrogance goes, i read a statement from an irish poster that said "if you look at it logically, ireland wins".

can i have some fact with my arrogance next time i order some please raspberry

Key points for me:

1. Both sides playing very well
2. Fitness of Rory Best.
3. Fitness of Dan Lydiate
4. The last encounter between the teams was basically a stalemate (the ballboys parents said we couldnt bring him to NZ)
5. Ireland are more experienced, I expect them to edge the set piece and territory.
6. Wales to edge it at the breakdown and their counter attacking looks razor sharp.

This world cup has been SO exciting as a welsh fan. Every game is a mystery!!!! appletini

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:12 am

Nos na Gaoithe wrote:
roddersm wrote:Biltong you should just be thankful that Wales are in the 6N and not the Tri-Nations. They're very fit and strong you know, I'm surprised the rest of can keep up Wink

Spoiler:

That's why Carter is such a loss. He was about to bring Magnum out in the semi...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:13 am

Comfort wrote:as far as arrogance goes, i read a statement from an irish poster that said "if you look at it logically, ireland wins".

can i have some fact with my arrogance next time i order some please raspberry

Key points for me:

1. Both sides playing very well
2. Fitness of Rory Best.
3. Fitness of Dan Lydiate
4. The last encounter between the teams was basically a stalemate (the ballboys parents said we couldnt bring him to NZ)
5. Ireland are more experienced, I expect them to edge the set piece and territory.
6. Wales to edge it at the breakdown and their counter attacking looks razor sharp.

This world cup has been SO exciting as a welsh fan. Every game is a mystery!!!! appletini

did you pluck that irish quote out of your back side or can you show us the source

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:13 am

disneychilly wrote:
That's why Carter is such a loss. He was about to bring Magnum out in the semi...

Im sure that would have been popular with the ladies. heart

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

i shall return with the quote, in the meantime fancy plucking your head out of your backside and we'll talk like grown ups sugarplum?

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

As a Welsh supporter this fitter stuff is complete bull, Wales and all top teams are fit and have been fit since 2005 (Wales), yes they have put in extra work the last couple of months but so has everybody else. I think we have created injuries by over training so guys have been laid up undoing all that training, look at Adam Jones he was roger'ed on 60 mins against SA. I have to admit against England, Wales did look much fitter but I suspect England have now caught up in time for the RWC. The only difference is the method used to peak for the competition. I believe this is a Gatland PR stunt and could be some mide games in there as well.

As far as the QF's, England may have a bye as France are all over the place but Wales v Ireland whoever wins I hope they go all the way!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

Cymroglan wrote:Ireland are a good side but I can confidently say so are Wales.
When you truly believe in your own side you tend to respect the opposition rather than try and belittle them.

+1

I can also say that if Wales do win, I seriously doubt that it well be through being fitter or more physical. This is probably the most physical Welsh side I've seen in a while but there are plenty of other strong and fit sides out there. Ireland have been one of the fitter sides for a while now so if anyone thinks that we will fall away at any stage physically then they'll be disappointed.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

Comfort wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:if you look at the game logically Ireland will win.

FACT! Wink

that was my thought on the comment, and this was the original thread source for the full quote if you want to find it.

https://www.606v2.com/t15232p200-rwc2011-quater-final-wales-v-ireland

but anyway, is there any poster here (irish or welsh) who genuinely doesnt believe the other team can (or will) win? at all?

Personally, im cacking it, but in a good way.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:21 am

I think only NZ suppoerters are not bricking it. furious
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:25 am

Comfort wrote:
Comfort wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:if you look at the game logically Ireland will win.

FACT! Wink

that was my thought on the comment, and this was the original thread source for the full quote if you want to find it.

https://www.606v2.com/t15232p200-rwc2011-quater-final-wales-v-ireland

but anyway, is there any poster here (irish or welsh) who genuinely doesnt believe the other team can (or will) win? at all?

Personally, im cacking it, but in a good way.

cheers comfort thumbsup

cacking it too. more nervious about this match than any other.

as i have said wales are a far stronger team than the one that showed up for the six nations. so are ireland.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

Comfort wrote:

They'd be pretty stupid if they did. These are too sides who've beaten each other home and away in recent seasons in crunch games. It will come down to who performs better on the day and can get ascendendency at the breakdown and set piece and take their points.

Both sides are very structured and with superb defences. Both have strong set pieces. I don't believe fitness will be an issue and both sides can play a forward orientated game or spread the ball wide. Goal kicking and luck will no doubt be a factor.

I'm confident in my own side though and am more concerned about us getting our gameplan and tactics right than what the Welsh players can do.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

biltongbek wrote:I think only NZ suppoerters are not bricking it. furious

Hey Biltong that's not exactly true-we've kind of had our share of news to make us brick it this weekend!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:32 am

caoimhincentre wrote:cheers comfort thumbsup

cacking it too. more nervious about this match than any other.

as i have said wales are a far stronger team than the one that showed up for the six nations. so are ireland.

absolutely, i backed ireland all the way through the group stages, sort of wish i hadnt now! hah boxing

im a believer in karma aswell and after "ballboygate" id say Ireland probably due the bounce of the ball at a key moment!

Either way, fingers crossed for a good game decided by nothing but good play.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

I think that's absolutely true.

As an England supporter, my concern is that we'll manage to play worse than France (or that the real France finally turn up). I think we'll win, but I wouldn't put the mortgage on it.

Boks v Australia - I think the toughness of the SA forwards will prove just enough, but I'd make this a 60/40 game.

Ireland v Wales - Probably even closer to call than the above. I just favour Ireland because of their big name big game players (POC, ROG, BOD and the back row). Would not though consider it a big surprise if Wales come through.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

disneychilly wrote:

Hey Biltong that's not exactly true-we've kind of had our share of news to make us brick it this weekend!

Disney, the only reason you would be bricking anything is because you are constipated, take two tablets and call me on monday. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

I knew letting that Colombian dude move in was a bad idea...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

disneychilly wrote:
Nos na Gaoithe wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

disneychilly wrote:I knew letting that Colombian dude move in was a bad idea...

Disney,
A handy man to help keep you up for all those early morning games, Id say.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

I'm not worried. We have pedigree in World Cups.

Any Irish or Welsh fans confused about what happens in the knock-out stages let me know. I know it's been a while.

Ok!

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:35 pm

Thunor,
Please do. Dizzy heights man.

Do you also think, that Jonno will be able to keeps his players heads inside their trewsers? Unreal behaviour by them, at the competition which is the very pinnacle of every player's career. He should lock them up and let em out for training and games only. Even then its risky. Wink
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

It's not like the Irish players have much experience of knock-out rugby is it? How many knockout HEC games have Munster and Leinster had recently? 1 or 2 in the last 5 years?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

1 or 2 yeah. Smile

I think that will be crucial at key moments. Most of them know how to close out huge games. That gives them an edge over most of the Welsh & English players... and some players in the French team, in this half of the draw.

Actually, forget I even mentioned the French. Our nemesis. Need England to knock them out - as per. Thanks.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

Same goes with the Irish for us (not that I'd be that much happier with the Welsh the way they're playing). Why did you have to go beat Australia? I would have been much happier with them

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:17 pm

Laugh That game did more than set us up in the group. It altered everything. 2 x SH sides not happy about that one. But most in the NH are.

Any one of us could make the Final now. I think that is excellent for the competition. For what its worth, I believe England could take a NZ without Carter. And a SA side - whoever plays for them. EDIT: Forgot Oz. Also vulnerable. So could Wales and Ireland - in this form. As for France... really dunno. Unless they wake from their slumber and don't listen to Lievermont.

Really love an NH side to win it. Whichever one of us makes it - I'm there 100% for them. Was in 2007. So were 90% of the punters of the Dublin Pub I was in. Very unusual, but all grown up now.

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:50 pm

Both Welsh and Irish fans seem confident. And rightly so. Both are playing well. Pity one of us has to go out. Because they are among the form teams in the tournament. Would have made a great semi final. But we'll have to settle for a great quarter final.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Both Welsh and Irish fans seem confident. And rightly so. Both are playing well. Pity one of us has to go out. Because they are among the form teams in the tournament. Would have made a great semi final. But we'll have to settle for a great quarter final.

+1 on that.

Question How do they settle a draw in the knock out stages .First to score after normal time ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:06 pm

Think its 10 mins each way extra time cymro.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:09 pm

Cheers Pete, I would prefer it that way than a side go out on a dubious penalty from the restart.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:17 pm

I agree Cymro. That would be an awful way to end the best Comp out there.

Don't like sudden-death. Hated it in soccer - when it was trialled at the high-end. Don't want it in rugby.

Must have a chance to respond in a designated time.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:22 pm

I might be wrong but I think if normal extra time doesn't see a winner it then goes to golden score.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:24 pm

you mean golden goal

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Any score so that would include a try. That's why it's called golden score.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next