The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious Question

+15
Leedscowboys
TBolt63
crazy_dave23
Pekchenko
twelve283
GB1919
mikeygnfl
BamBam
TM Moot
skins4ever
Gaelic-Warrior
Derbyblue
adams_legend
Pr4wn
Grizzly
19 posters

Go down

Serious Question Empty Serious Question

Post by Grizzly Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

Have we lost any posters ?
There seemed a better exchange in here whilst the lockout was on, since the season started some excellent threads barely get a dozen replies over many days.
Pr4wn puts together a great weekly preview with some excellent discussion starters but gets very little comment, so have we lost posters or is our community just not very big ?
What sort of numbers do we need for some decent debate ? 20, 50, 100 ?
Be interesting to know what our numbers stand at....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Serious Question Empty Re: Serious Question

Post by Pr4wn Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:41 am

Will address this tonight mate as I'm at work and can only access the site on my mobile.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by adams_legend Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:47 am

At the minute i am really busy at work and don't really get a chance to comment on peoplles post, hopefully the work load will be getting a bit lighter soon and will be able to comment more

adams_legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

I doubt we have lost users, but I think it's more a case of them posting less regularly as there always seems to be people who are viewing the American Football forum. Also not too sure which forums we would lose posters too, the other 606 replacements have terrible American Football sections, but it may just be a case of people have been inactive for a while and will be hard to get back, I was hoping some of the old 606ers who signed up at the start would return when the season begun. Personally I'm currently posting less as I've just returned back to university so have less spare time.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

Same with everyone I think. I've always done that really, I spend more time viewing other people's comments as I don't always have the time to come on and post.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:42 pm

Guys, it's not a criticism, I appreciate most people are busy doing stuff I just find it strange that the activity levels were much higher in the middle of summer when there was no sign of the lockout ending than compared to now when we've had 4 weeks football.

When the old 606 died it was obvious that people would stray into different boards, disappointing as that is I just wanted to look at possible reasons.

Pr4wn says he can't access this site from his office, I'm semi-shocked I still can (notorious IT Hitlers at this place) but is that a problem many are having ?

Just interested to get views I guess.
I looked at NFL UK forum this morning briefly and they have 300,000 members with around 300 active at any one time, is it these sorts of numbers that are needed for decent discussion ?
Are any members here also over there ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:54 pm

I don't see why 300 active members is the number needed for necessary discussion, 5 people can have a decent discussion but if all 5 have the same view on a post the debate won't last long. I think this may be the issue we are having. That's not me saying we only have 5 posters but the bit about the same views meaning that some people won't post their own view as they feel it has already been put across in the debate. Maybe more people were using it during the lockout so that they could keep up to date with the news, while getting different people's views on the situation?

I won't remove Grizzly's post I would expect you are all aware of the forum mentioned however please people do not use this as a thread on which to advertise your own forum to gain contributors.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:23 pm

I would add that some topics don't interest many, or lend themselves to many responses.

I don't take part in the NFL competition, and there wasn't much to say in response tot he post about the kid that scored too much.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

I'm loving this forum (having only joined fairly recently). More posts/posters would be nice, but I don't miss the juvenile petty posts you get on most other public forums (especially the footie ones).

Quality over quantity I reckon. Long may that continue. Hug

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

Personally I am back at university now, and have been working throughout the summer and only had access to the internet when I am at home. I do try to post on my phone during the day (like now) but the small screen gets on my nerves so I tend not to bother.

I think we have a decent regular member base, there will always be posters who have registered but rarely bothered to post. We have a good variety of threads, the NFL competition, fantasy football etc so I personally don't think we are lacking much.

One thing I would like to see more of is chat during the games, I was logged on for a few hours last night but there didn't seem to be much going on

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:03 pm

The alternative 606 sites have non-existant American Football forums.

Maybe there are more threads being put up now than before so comments maybe spread?
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

'I won't remove Grizzly's post I would expect you are all aware of the forum mentioned however please people do not use this as a thread on which to advertise your own forum to gain contributors..'

???
Using this board to gain contributors for another forum ?
Give me strength....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

Grizzly wrote:'I won't remove Grizzly's post I would expect you are all aware of the forum mentioned however please people do not use this as a thread on which to advertise your own forum to gain contributors..'

???
Using this board to gain contributors for another forum ?
Give me strength....
Grizzly, this wasn't me accusing you of attempting to move any of us over to the NFL UK forums (I don't even know if you're signed up on there). It was meant as a general warning incase anyone saw it as a potential place to attempt to advertise their forums.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

I think this is a really interesting question. I would see myself as one of those whose posts have dropped off slightly since the summer although I would guess that I still post a few times a week. The reason behind my drop off was largely a matter of being over-busy at work and it frustrated me that I couldn't reply to posts that I found interesting. Thankfully it seems as though the busy stretch may have passed for the time being and I'm looking forward to being more active again.

In response to Grizzly's question though, I'm not sure that the forum has actually lost very many posters but rather the frequency of the posts fronm the regulars has dropped, much like what I described above I would guess. I think we have a good number on here to get discussions going but they often don't all post all the time.

I will definitely be posting on Pr4wn weekly write ups from now on as I often disagree with some of his predictions (although thankfully for me this week I didn't bother as I had backed the Bills to win).

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

I know from a friend that a number of posters who frequented 606 moved over to a specific NFL forum site which shall not be named but many of you probably know of it (personally I don’t see why, the standard of post over there isn’t particularly great IMO outside of a couple of the regulars, certainly it isn’t any better than 606 was or on here).

I think Derbyblue could be correct about there being a high number of lurkers with people only posting on topics that interest them-I’m one of these people. Skins4ever touched on this as well.

Grizzly- I wouldn’t necessarily say there was a decent level of discussion over at NFL UK just more white noise. Like TM Moot I feel it should be about quality not quantity.

I think we have lost some valuable posters since the move, Boknows being one and I haven’t noticed GSC post in a while, although I didn’t always agree with his views he usually brought a good level of discussion/debate to the forum. For example I think he did the weekly power rankings if I remember correctly which always led to “friendly” debate. Very Happy There are a bunch of other posters I can’t remember the names of such as the Cardinals guy who haven’t made the move either. I think we do have a good base of posters though.

I’ve been picking up extra shifts so haven’t really had the time to post as much as I would like, I wanted to do weekly college scouting reports among other things but ATM I have numerous recorded games that I haven’t had time to watch. Others please feel free to venture into the college prospects thread and post your own thoughts though. Wink Very Happy

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

A number of issues id really like to talk about (Being a Dolphins fan!!!) but a combination of problems with works firewall meaning that i have to log on and off every time i want to see an update as well as changing jobs and seating position(meaning i have my back to the rest of the office) mean that i barely get chance. However i am now going back to uni(mature student!!) so will probably get more chance to comment with the old 'work for 30 mins- facebook 30 mins- Boxing/NFL forum for 30 mins.

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:15 pm

Don't worry about mentioning other forums lads! I'm a member on NFL UK and OOH and, to be honest, we get a far better standard of discussion here.

As far as I'm concerned, yes, work have have blocked the site so it's a lot more difficul for me to post during the weekdays. I try to get on in the evening and I do an extensive preview of each of the week's games on Friday or Saturday.

I will attempt to write at least one more article per week to try and get discussion going.

All we can say is, tell your friends about us here and don't be scared to post!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

I was on 606 for ages and barely posted much on there for whatever reason (i'm not sure why!), but I did slowly pick up towards the very end of Uni. Obviously i've improved a little bit!

I think I always find it easier to respond to direct questions as oppose to starting a controversial debate. I'm often the guy who comes on and clarifies things such as responding to people who ask what games are on tv, a quick fantasy question be it about who to start or how our league scoring systems work etc.

I had noticed a slow down particularly this week things, but should pick up with me soon as I have exams tomorrow and on Friday so surprise surprise i'm rather busy this week.
I personally can't get on the site when i'm at work, partly because I tend to be very busy and partly because my manager can always see my screen! Because I record the Sunday night game to watch after work on a Monday I'm also rarely on here at all on a Monday when the best debate is to be had because I don't want to find out the score.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:04 am

Unlike most others, i find it far easier to read/post at work, rather then at home, especially on the w/e. I guess Mrs Moot is scarier then my boss!! Whistle

Pr4wn wrote:I try to get on in the evening and I do an extensive preview of each of the week's games on Friday or Saturday.

I like reading your previews Pr4wn, not sure if it is possible but this would be good a little earlier in the week to give ppl more time to respond?

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 04 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

Good call. I'll try my best to get something together in the evening.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:59 pm

I have followed this forum--in one way or another--for two years and have never commented because I have never been a member. I registered today just so I could make this comment.

I enoyed reading the comments of the members of this forum when it was still a part of 606 and then followed you all over to 606v2. I especially enjoy reading the intelligent analysis of Pr4wn, Grizzly and a few others ... you know what you're talking about! Seeing Grizzly's concern above motivated me to get on and reply: Don't get discouraged-- you all have a very good thing going here and I suspect there are many more silent readers like myself out there.

Why haven't I registered before today? Because I am an American and this is a site for UK fans of American football. It always seemed like it would be inappropriate for me to join. I'm not sure why I enjoy this forum better then American forums ... possibly because American fans' focus on their hometown teams to the exclusion of all others makes them deal hatefully to each other. You all are spirited but civil. I felt I had to register today just to say "Keep up the good work!"
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:00 pm

I sometimes go missing but will try to check in more mainly evenings at the begining of the week with all day from Thurs - Sunday
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:01 pm

Welcome on board T Bolt? with you user name are you perhaps a Chargers fan?
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:09 pm

No- actually I am a Saints fan, with a soft spot for the Chiefs. We Americans usually support the team that is nearest to where we live. I grew up in KC but have live in New Orleans since 1995. Seeing as the Saints are 3-1 and the Chiefs are 1-3, I'm glad I moved!
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:51 pm

welcome Tbolt63
how often do you go to the superdome and see them play?

i would go over to see my team but a flight to the pacific noth west is quite diificult
yeah im a seahawk.1-3 and 2nd in the division! Very Happy
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

Although we have plenty of friends who hold Saints season tickets and go to all the home games, my wife and I haven't been to a game since 2004 (tickets are not cheap!). Maybe we'll go next year...
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

Like TBolt, I also enjoy reading a lot of the comments from the regulars and enjoy the discussions you guys have. I would comment more but don't feel I have the knowledge on the sport to add anything meaningful to a lot of the debates.

I am a big NFL fan though and reading through the articles and posts from you guys has helped me learn a lot more about the game and also helps me get through the working day!

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:23 pm

wadey101 wrote:Like TBolt, I also enjoy reading a lot of the comments from the regulars and enjoy the discussions you guys have. I would comment more but don't feel I have the knowledge on the sport to add anything meaningful to a lot of the debates.

I am a big NFL fan though and reading through the articles and posts from you guys has helped me learn a lot more about the game and also helps me get through the working day!

Glad to see your learning more, but I wouldn't feel worried about posting because people are "experts". Doesn't need to be a long post full of reason and detail... it all counts!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

How do you all feel about Americans posting on this forum?
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

Erm, in one sense its slightly odd because i'm sure there are plenty of very good US forums out there so it doesn't seem logical for a US guy to post on a UK forum about a US sport.

On the other hand, the British following is less developed so you get niche forums like this containing sensible people who don't constantly spout rubbish (only occasionally :p) and so imagine were quite a breath of fresh air.

I like the American viewpoint because the media over there is obviously a lot more in tune with the NFL so they have a bit more inside info, or at least its much harder for us Brits to find such info without trawling through every news article ever posted on NFL.com or ESPN.com

US fans tend to be very clued up on college football, which is something I think a fair few people on here would like to or are trying to get into. So their viewpoint is very valuable in helping us learn. I hope to try and post a college football article somepoint this weekend if I get the chance and/or i'm not too hungover post exams! But i'm no expert.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:52 pm

I haven't had too much time to spend on here. I do try and contribute though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

TBolt63 wrote:How do you all feel about Americans posting on this forum?

I don't think you will find anyone with any problems, also nice to have overseas fans to be able to add more, most NFL stories are picked up off major news guys like ESPN & NFL. but would be nice to hear what local media is saying as sometimes this is where the new stories start and are then picked up on.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:
wadey101 wrote:Like TBolt, I also enjoy reading a lot of the comments from the regulars and enjoy the discussions you guys have. I would comment more but don't feel I have the knowledge on the sport to add anything meaningful to a lot of the debates.

Glad to see your learning more, but I wouldn't feel worried about posting because people are "experts". Doesn't need to be a long post full of reason and detail... it all counts!

I'd back this up. I never posted on the old 606 for the exact reason you described. I used the move to come out of the woodwork and I'm really glad I did. This is basically the only place I can chat about the NFL as no-one I know is even remotely interested (except for the other half who has become a fan through overexposure I think). After a few posts the fear of being the unknowledgeable newbie disappears and you learn so much by being involved. Plus I don't think we're too intimidating.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:34 am

I think I speak for all when I say that we would love to get more US posters on the board - if you know of other people who might want to join in, please tell them!

And as a matter of interest - how did you hear about us?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

I don't think anyone here would have a problem with fans from anywhere we are a pretty friendly bunch and have the odd US poster at the moment anyway

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Thanks.

I first stumbled on to the 606 American Football forum while poking around on the BBC website a few years ago. I didn't expect much, but was impressed by the high level of discussion and the knowledge of the members; so I found myself checking it out regularly. When 606 was about to close down I followed the links on the forum to this and some other 606 replacement sites. This seems to be the best of the lot, as the more knowledgable guys ended up here.

Crazy Dave was correct above when he said that this site seems like a breath of fresh air.
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:27 pm

Well we try to keep things chilled out and we never have any flaming or trouble (touch wood....).

We would, of course, welcome more contributors from anywhere in the world. More opinions make debate more diverse and enriching.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TBolt63 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 6:21 pm

Thanks. I may chime in occasionally, then.
TBolt63
TBolt63

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down