The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corbett vs Fitzsimmons - An appreciation!!....

+5
AlexHuckerby
Waingro
GerardMcL
School Project
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Corbett vs Fitzsimmons - An appreciation!!.... Empty Corbett vs Fitzsimmons - An appreciation!!....

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

Something awe-inspiring about this fight....For one it was the first heavyweight title fight ever filmed...It also had the mythical figure in Corbett the father of modern boxing taking on the first guy to win three world titles at different weights in Fitz...a record he'd hold for nearly half a century!!!

A chance to see two mythical figures in all their glory..battling in the noon day sun.....Boxing in all it's simplicity...showing rare skill for the age in a fierce battle that ebb and flowed...!!!

Just a rare piece of history with two legends caught in time..

Even from the black and white footage you can see a cat and mouse battle progressing between two guys from very different backgrounds but with rare qualities for the time....

When the heavyweight crown was the greatest prize in sports......

I've seen this fight or highlights more than any other fight and for me it will always be Boxing's greatest fight!!

Pity there was no rematch though..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Corbett vs Fitzsimmons - An appreciation!!.... Empty Re: Corbett vs Fitzsimmons - An appreciation!!....

Post by School Project Tue 04 Oct 2011, 1:52 am

Just so everyone else can have a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwNVzqQeeg

I've seen this fight a few times myself, just to understand how much boxing has changed over the years. Not only do I appreciate the sport for what it is now (yes its faster and yes it may be more exciting to some)... but this is the sports roots.

Also you can't take away the fact that from round 3, these guys were brutal with their punches... Using nothing but 4oz pieces of leather on their hands.

Makes you understand why the fight was a little more cat and mouse Wink

School Project

Back to top Go down

Corbett vs Fitzsimmons - An appreciation!!.... Empty Re: Corbett vs Fitzsimmons - An appreciation!!....

Post by GerardMcL Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:54 am

A big moment for boxing but you could argue that John L Sullivan was the father of boxing.
I do think though that Dempsey v Willard or Dempsey v Carpentier were more pivotal. Dempsey really brought the title to the fore and getting a 100'000 plus gate for the Carpentier fight in a time when the nationwide travel infrastructure wasn't anything to boast about.
Demspey saw the sport through its toughest times and the lobbying by religious groups to have it banned. I think Dempsey is the most pivotal figure in the development of the sport.

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:37 pm

GerardMcL wrote:A big moment for boxing but you could argue that John L Sullivan was the father of boxing.
I do think though that Dempsey v Willard or Dempsey v Carpentier were more pivotal. Dempsey really brought the title to the fore and getting a 100'000 plus gate for the Carpentier fight in a time when the nationwide travel infrastructure wasn't anything to boast about.
Demspey saw the sport through its toughest times and the lobbying by religious groups to have it banned. I think Dempsey is the most pivotal figure in the development of the sport.

Dempsey would not fight black opponents mate not sure why you think he is the most important imo he was not a true a champ a true champ would fight opponents black or white but Dempsey did not do this. Look how many black heavyweight champs there have been since Dempsey its not a coincidence they were being kept away for a reason so if you didnt fight them then I dont think you can consider yourself a proper champ.

Those guys in the vidoe fought in the old days, boxing was worse then imo and slower I do not think these guys would last long with Ali or Lewis tbh I think they would get knocked pretty quickly. This was at the start of boxing though so things have been improving.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:24 pm

Different skills were needed back then to succeed...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:31 pm

Waingro wrote:
GerardMcL wrote:A big moment for boxing but you could argue that John L Sullivan was the father of boxing.

Dempsey would not fight black opponents mate not sure why you think he is the most important imo he was not a true a champ a true champ would fight opponents black or white but Dempsey did not do this. Look how many black heavyweight champs there have been since Dempsey its not a coincidence they were being kept away for a reason so if you didnt fight them then I dont think you can consider yourself a proper champ.

Those guys in the vidoe fought in the old days, boxing was worse then imo and slower I do not think these guys would last long with Ali or Lewis tbh I think they would get knocked pretty quickly. This was at the start of boxing though so things have been improving.

Towzer/Waingro,

Your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. For start, boxing was a completely different game in "the old days". Sure the Queensbury rules were about but can you imaging fighting a guy with as little as nothing but 1 or 2 ounces of leather tied around your hands? Can you imaging how different that it to feel a punch through the guard without the aid of hand wraps and 8 or 10 ounce gloves on?

Does the fighting look different back then? Of course it does... it was more punishing for both parties involves so of course the styles are different, there's A LOT more at stake. Would Corbitt, Dempsey or Tunney be able to mix with the likes of Ali, Frazier and Lewis? I have no doubt that they could... the boxers of yester-year were made of iron and although pugilism has changed throughout the years like any sport has, calling the old-timers rubbish is a showing of complete disrespect of the sport.

As for Dempsey, his influence on modern boxing is huge and I dare you to argue that.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm

You tell him Project!

WOOT!

I'm your cheer leader on the side here Wink

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:00 am

Why am I ignorant lol, no need for the insults. I did not call old time fighters rubbish either I think you need to read my post again.

Imo opinion boxing has got better I dont think those guys would be able to beat Ali or Lewis or Tyson they are not as skilled. Maybe fighting was different back then but I think skills and training are better now. If those guys fought Ali or Lewis I reckon they would get knocked out.

I do not think Dempsey was a true champ coz he didnt fight black fighters that is a disgrace imo and not good for the sport. Most of the heavyweight champs have been black so not fighting them means yu cant call yourself a proper champ and Dempsey did not fight them can you imagine Ali or Lewis or Tyson were not allowed fight for the title it would be a joke.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:40 am

The same Jack Dempsey that signed a contract to fight the only legitimate black challenger who was out there for his crown, unbelievable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:46 am

Waingro wrote:Why am I ignorant lol, no need for the insults. I did not call old time fighters rubbish either I think you need to read my post again.

Imo opinion boxing has got better I dont think those guys would be able to beat Ali or Lewis or Tyson they are not as skilled. Maybe fighting was different back then but I think skills and training are better now. If those guys fought Ali or Lewis I reckon they would get knocked out.

I do not think Dempsey was a true champ coz he didnt fight black fighters that is a disgrace imo and not good for the sport. Most of the heavyweight champs have been black so not fighting them means yu cant call yourself a proper champ and Dempsey did not fight them can you imagine Ali or Lewis or Tyson were not allowed fight for the title it would be a joke.

'Lol'. That is all I have to say to that.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:15 am

rowley wrote:The same Jack Dempsey that signed a contract to fight the only legitimate black challenger who was out there for his crown, unbelievable.
He said didn't fight, not didn't sign to fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:17 am

I appreciate that Scott but the fact he signed does suggest the reason for it not happening are largely beyond Jack's control and as such seems a little harsh to hold it against him. Although I suspect you knew that already.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:19 am

Maybe, someone needs to stick up for Waingro, I don't think he's Towser.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:23 am

Scottrf wrote:Maybe, someone needs to stick up for Waingro, I don't think he's Towzer.

I agree with Scott...For one thing Jeff he hasn't asked you out for a date in his "gym"...or threatened to beat you up to a pulp.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

In my defence have never accused him of being Towser.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down