The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Indoor Championships

+3
teassoc
Mad for Chelsea
Im-no-athlete
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

European Indoor Championships Empty European Indoor Championships

Post by Im-no-athlete Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:48 pm

Sadly Jess Ennis has had to withdraw due to her ongoing ankle problem.

http://www.uka.org.uk/media/news/february-2011/28-02-2011-ennis/

Im-no-athlete

Back to top Go down

European Indoor Championships Empty Re: European Indoor Championships

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:45 pm

Desperate shame for team GB, but in all likelihood the correct decision by Jess. Her focus has to be on defending her world title and if she had competed and made the injury worse in Paris it would have been a tragedy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Mon 28 Feb 2011, 7:03 pm

She didn't really have anything to prove at this event anyway. Much better that she doesn't take unecessary risks.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:12 pm

To be honest, I'm glad that she finally made that decision. I would have loved her to add that European indoor title to her pedigree, possibly coupled with a world record in the pentathlon, but at the end of the day she had to take the long view into things. I don't think that winning that gold was worth compromising the defence of her world title and her build up to the London Olympics next year. She can always come back, provided she's healthy and fit, and claim it in two years time.

Britain definitely lose a genuine gold medal chance in Paris following the withdrawal of Jessica but there is still plenty of quality about the squad to deliver the goods.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Tue 01 Mar 2011, 9:37 am

The final entries for the European Indoor Championships in Paris have been confirmed and are as follows:

Men
http://www.european-athletics.org/entries-eich-2011-men.html

Women
http://www.european-athletics.org/entries-eich-2011-women.html

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 12:16 am

Let's take a quick look at British medal hopes in Paris as the burden of expectations shifts more heavily now on the shoulders of Mo Farah, Dwain Chambers, Jenny Meadows and Helen Clitheroe following Jessica Ennis's late withdrawal due to a persisting ankle complaint.

Mo is the overwhelming favourite in the men's 3000m and an unprecedented second straight title looks his to lose at these champs where his rivals must be contemplating what they have to conjure up to steal that gold out of his tight grasp. He's just got far too much for anyone to handle from every aspect; he's a clear level up in times, he's developed a mighty kick at his command and is always tactically sound. He'll take something really extraordinary to beat though nothing can be taken for granted.

I think that there could be a good chance for Andy Baddeley to get into the medals there and shrug off the disappointments of last season at major finals, which I feel is the main reason of him turning up in Paris as van Commennee has very much acknowledged. There was a hint of some injury delaying the start of his indoor campaign and was looking a little short of sharpness a few weeks ago but he should be up there in some good nick now. He's a strong finisher, he can go with a fast pace and there are going to be far wider spaces through the field for him to employ his kick to good effect.

The men's 60m is definitely Dwain's domain where his start and pick-up phase should be too hot for Christophe Lemaitre to handle, while he's got a mentality of steel and is not going to be affected by the Frenchman's home advantage. He hasn't been at his sharpest this winter but he could still sneak a world-leading mark before he bows out of the indoor season.

Harry Aikines-Ayreety, unfortunately, got that hamstring problem at a most inconvenient time, so close to the champs, right when he was clicking into gear again and he's going to be a big question mark. Rookie Joel Fearon, on the other hand, hasn't missed any racing and had sufficient time to regain full fitness so will fancy a place in that final as a fitting start to his international career.

Jenny Meadows looks like placing the finishing touches to turning a finished article in the 800m and she's going to be a real handful for the Russian girls there. I so like the way she asserts herself in races, she's so shrewd and even ruthless if it comes to that tactically and so strong mentally these days. Her time may have come to lift her first title after three minor major medals on the bounce although it's going to be very tight.

Marilyn Okoro is showing signs of her old form, at least in terms of speed, and as long as she doesn't do anything crazy a spot in the final could be hers, which will represent a solid comeback.

I would also tip Helen Clitheroe to pick up her first international medal in the women's 3000m, she's enjoying the form of her life and looks so confident and has good as good a chance as anybody, provided she plays her cards right.

Nigel Levine, Richard Strachan and Richard Buck shape a powerful trio for Britain that could well claim a medal or two as well as filling half the final berths in the 400m. Nigel has impressed most with his consistent aggressive runs and looks bound to a sub 46 secs so I feel he's going to pose serious questions on home favourite Leslie Djhone, who's got vast experience on his side nonetheless.

Strachan is going to be a dark horse having only a single race, yet a massive breakthrough, in a fast 46.35 secs but off a string off his fastest times over 200m ever, and Richard Buck could hit his peak at the right time this once - even a little accidentally. He was all over the place at the Aviva Grand Prix in Birmingham but came back the next day to set 46.38 secs and he must have really felt that race the previous day in his legs!

The long relay has got a slight edge over a strong French team in terms of individual times, with a stronger 'bench' too, and as long as the right formation and order is made up they should edge that out. My own suggestion? Levine on the lead-off to get the side into the lead, followed by Strachan to hopefully stretch an advantage, Nick Leavey on the penultimate and Buck on the anchor - this has to rock!

Both Hannah England and newcomer Stacey Smith have got a shout in the medals, are both fast finishers and there is a wide open final - and what a debut that would be for Stacey if she could pull that off. On the infield, Tom Parsons could fancy his own chances of upsetting mighty Ivan Ukhov in the high jump, who could be not as invincible as back in January. If he could get a 2.33 or 2.35m first, then he could cause serious problems to the Russian.

Plenty of anticipation and all eyes will be also over the performances of sensational Jodie Williams and Holly Bleasdale in the women's 60m and pole vault respectively, representing a potentially golden future. Gaining valuable experience is the main objective here but both look good to earn a place in their respective finals, which would be superb should it land.

From there on, Tiffany Offili, Colin McCourt and Andie Osagie look like good outside medal chances in women's hurdles and the men's middle distances, the latter more consistent, while you never know what you're going to get from Joe Thomas from race to race. But on his day, he's capable of much and is fresh from a first sub 48 secs 400m run ever.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 8:15 am

You can get LIVE results on this link:
http://www.sportresult.com/sports/la/ajax/eaa2.asp?module=timetable_event&event_id=10000100000119&lang=en

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 8:17 am

By the way, was it Skujyte in the first heptathlon heat over 60mh? I struggled to recognize her, so much leaner!!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 8:27 am

I'm watching the European Indoor Champs on this link (UK Eurosport broadcast), as well a on Greek TV!! Remember to create an account to be able to watch it through:
http://www.everythingon.tv/channel/view/eurosport-4

Last edited by lsabre on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 8:30 am

Tiffany Offili is safely through the second heat of the women's 60m hurdles as runner-up just a mere hundredth outside her SB in 8.05, with Christina Vukisevic (NOR) a convincing winner in 7.95 secs. Good start there!

On the other hand, Germany's Katja Demut seems to struggle at the moment in the triple jump qualification.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 8:59 am

Very poor on the step, taking off well off the board, and Katja Demut crashes out of the women's triple jump, as does promising Paraskevi Papachristou of Greece. That's two out of the top four in the European lists!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 04 Mar 2011, 9:25 am

Thanks for the link Isabre

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 9:30 am

You're welcome mate!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 9:33 am

The women's triple jump qualification outcome, where Svetlana Bolshakova (BEL) was a further casualty while fourth-placed in the European rankings going into the champs Niki Panetta scratched at the last minute.

http://www.sportresult.com/sports/la/ajax/eaa2.asp?event_id=10000100000119&ctype_id=162&module=competition&show=RL&lang=en

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 9:48 am

Richard Buck looks pretty impressive to beat second-ranked Frenchman Yoan Decimus, who's faster on paper into the champs, in a fast 46.58 to ensure of a good lane in the semis. The latter finished well back in 46.90 secs. Pretty good work from the Brit and hopefully has left enough for later on today!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 9:55 am

Richard Strachan makes it 2-0 for the Brits over the French as he easily dominates the second heat in 47.54, while Vladimir Krasnov is nowhere to be seen - drawn the worst possible lane in fairness, but looked well short of fitness. Fofana had to run flat out to grab an automatic spot.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 10:10 am

Nigel Levine really looks like he toys with that heat and is easily through in 47.73 secs although he eases up way too much at the end and gets almost caught on the line for first by German David Gollnow. Johan Wissman is, unfortunately, out that early.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 10:40 am

Mo Farah is coasting through his heat in first in 8:02.36 after taking up the pace through the second km, with Rui Silva (POR) in second closely behind. The Spariard, Alves, will have to wait to see whether he makes it through as a fastest loser though.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 11:04 am

Andy Baddeley is also through as a close third in 8:01.56 from the final heat of the men's 3000m so it has been a clean sheet for the British team so far.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 04 Mar 2011, 2:31 pm

Thanks a lot for these Isabre. Most of us only have the odd moment to catch up so you are doing a great service.

Why isn't there a 'thanks' button on this site?

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Im-no-athlete Fri 04 Mar 2011, 3:10 pm

Tiffany Ofili 7.89. New UK record and European leading time. Very Happy

Im-no-athlete

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 9:35 pm

You're very welcome, unfortunately I got back from work really worn out and couldn't keep it up during the evening, let alone I had to give training a miss *chuckle*! But what a performance by Tiffany Offili in the final to run a massive second UK record in quick succession and such a shame she had to settle for silver when virtually nothing could separate her from Nytra on the line!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 04 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm

Overall I guess you'd have to say a reasonably successful day for GB.

There were a few disappointments though with England and Smith in the women's 1500 metres, and Levine in the men's 400. The only really bad performance was in the men's HJ by Grabarz.

On the evidence of the first day's result they shouldn't have any trouble getting the target, as I've understood it, of at least 4 medals. Something like 6 to 8 now seems possible. Very Happy

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 04 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

I know how gutted Tiffany Offili may be feeling to miss out on gold when hardly anything seemed to separate her from Nytra on the line, but she's made her mark and taken her game to faraway new territories to illustrate the massive effect of a new robust incentive in her athletic career. On top of that, I sense that Angie Thorp's long-standing 100mh record of 12.80 since Altanta 1996 is already shaking following that classy 7.80 secs today.

Apart from Mo Farah, Andy Baddeley looked good and comfortable in the men's 3000m heats and he looks as though he could add a second medal to Britain's account over the distance while both Richards, Strachan and Buck, forced their way into the men's 400m final convincingly. They go in lanes four and five tomorrow, just inside favourite Leslie Dhjone, and should normally come out with at least a medal by the look of things.

Nigel Levine's early exit was a blow but things got bad for him as soon as he got barged past by Djhone into the second lap, coming near to a halt, and this is a place you don't want something like that to happen. You run quickly into debt and you're going to struggle to find another gear in you towards the end. He's been getting a bit of stick in some quarters for letting up at the end but it was effectively a good 'tactical' move on his part, saving himself for the relay since he wasn't going to get anything better than lane two in the final.

Jenny Meadows was safely through, as was Marilyn Okoro as a fastest loser, in the women's 800m but Andie Osagie nearly committed suicide and survived the scare by the skin of his teeth. Hopefully, he's going to take that on board and remain more aware of his surroundings tomorrow. Joe Thomas, on the other hand, looked in no man's land with a hundred to go and it made it look so easy through to the next round in the end - you really don't know what you're going to get from this guy!

I was a little sad to see Stacey (Smith) missing out on a fastest loser place in the 1500m. She did everything right tacticswise but something wasn't there about her performance, lacking that familiar edge in her speed. I speculate she was affected by something as she wasn't really looking as fluent as on her recent outings. Hannah England put in a brave run but really let herself down the way she dealt with the race, running needlessly alongside Felix for the bulk of the distance to cover many metrers over with each lap.

Tom Parsons was disappointing and never settled into a rhythm in the men's high jump while I would have expected something more from Lawrence Clarke in the hurdles but it was still a learning curve for him.

Plenty to look forward tomorrow with Dwain, Jodie, Holly and Helen coming into the frame!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 05 Mar 2011, 12:51 pm

Helen Clitheroe looked very smooth and cruised through her heat to qualify to the women's 3000m final with ease this morning, where her chances of silverware have received a huge boost following Alemitu Bekele's pulling up behind her on the way. The Turk was arguably her most dangerous rival given her well-demonstrated racing prowess and now the way looks far wider to the top.

I wouldn't read too much into Dwain's run in the men's 60m heats this morning, although I was unfortunately forced to miss the 60m heats due to work, he got off to a very poor start and looked a little sluggish by some accounts around.

Nevertheless, what matters is which Chambers is going to turn up later on and that could be a far different version. As for HAA, it was as I feared, he wasn't ready to step on it and shouldn't have risked competing in the first place in my opinion. Good job by Joel Fearon to make the next round comfortably, he'll be growing in confidence as he moves along.

Despite missing out on a place in the final, there was a very good performance by Holly Bleasdale to range close to her double recent UK U23 record with 4.45m today, she's so consistent and confident and it's only a matter of time before she soars much higher. She's already got two As under her belt to make the trip to Daegu in summer and needs just one more.

Finally, decent start for both Jodie and Bernice in the 60m, setting 7.31 and 7.30 respectively, and will be looking for more later on.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 05 Mar 2011, 1:33 pm

Harry Aikines-Ayreety on his morning heat: "As soon as the gun went. There was a 80% rip. I'm very sorry."

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 05 Mar 2011, 3:22 pm

Well done Jodie Williams! Sets a new PB of 7:21 and it's enough to see her squeeze through to the final!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Sat 05 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

yes well done Jodie - but WTF has she done to her eyebrows, they are a mess!
Really disappointed in the mens 1500, especially McCourt. Yes he was hard on himself but unless he has an illness/virus that becomes apparent it was a disgrace.
Dwain looked a lot better in the Semi but I still do not expect him to win - he just does not look in peak form and as he said in interview the outdoors is his priority this year.
Well done to the guys in the 400, a medal and some useful placing points.
Mo Farah did well especially as he revealed he is looking and training for 1/2 Marathon.

Look forward to some medals tomorrow.
Jenny looks good and hopefully gold.
Other medals from Dwain, mens 4x400 and 800m and we mustn't forget Helen Clitheroe.
Which would make 8 in total.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 05 Mar 2011, 8:48 pm

Dwain Chambers is obviously training and racing with an eye on the outdoor season this winter so inevitably isn't as slick out of his blocks or sharp in the drive and he apparently hasn't done much work on his starts. I thought that he might have put in some good speedwork since the UK Trials but he's apparently stuck to his longer-view schedule, yet I've got to say I'm glad he has. It's about time he showed what he's really worth outdoors. Nonetheless, he returned a gear higher in the afternoon and he can still find another one by tomorrow but I wouldn't expect any sub 6.5s.

'Little' Jodie Williams turned once again supreme on the track and passed her first senior international exam with top marks, smashing her own PB and snatching a place in the final tomorrow. I feel that whatever fears over her competing against seniors were thoroughly dispelled, the girl is fearless and thrives on quality competition. She can go out and enjoy herself tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised if she takes her times further down inside 7.2 secs.

On a funny side of it, I think she has more vindicated Charles van Commennee's point rather than her own coach, Mike McFarlane, over whether she should contest the World Champs in Daegu in deep August. Let's hope she, and her coach, reconsider and fly over to Korea at least for the relay. The experiences she's going to gain there will be priceless.

Colin McCourt was evidently affected by something as he was struggling even at a 3:46-47 early pace and he's far better than that, running 3:38 only a couple of weeks ago. You could tell that something wasn't right about him.

Andie Osagie, on the other hand, was superb and has come to lay a sound claim on at least a medal tomorrow, having reigned supreme in a heat that contained the European bronze medallist from Barcelona. Tactically was sound, timing his moves to perfection, and if he runs like that in the final I don't think anyone can survive his finishing kick.

And it would be some fabulous feat if along with Jenny Meadows, who ruled her semifinal from start to finish, make a British double over the 800m, something that I think hasn't happened since 1977 when a young Sebastain Coe and Tena Colebrook made a clean sweep of the event.

On top of that, Marilyn Okoro was a slight nice surprise as she ran her best race for a while, looked fit and strong again and finished well - although she should have checked her 'rear view mirror' as she eased down over her last few strides and was almost caught out of a well-deserved final place. She needed a foothold to start building up back towards the top and that's a solid new starter.

Mo Farah looked heavy-legged again and that's apparently no surprise seeing that he's making his half-marathon debut in New York in a fortnight from now, meaning he's been still on high mileage. Yet, he had enough to clinch another title and he's so assured and asserts himself with such confidence these days.

I feel for Andy Baddeley, though, who lost that bronze in the final few strides but that was the sort of performance he needed to boost his confidence and put last year's disappointments behind him. I do wish that today's race will have him ponder over a move in distance as he can really excel over 5000m and that's the best time to do it before London.

Finally, it was good to see Richard Buck finally make a mark on the international scene with that 400m bronze, he has been there or thereabouts for a few seasons but seemed to fail at the last moment. And you have to give it to Richard Strachan for going for gold despite fading badly at the end. With those two and Nigel Levine, Britain have now a very sound depth across their 4x400m team.

Last edited by lsabre on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Mar 2011, 8:59 pm

I was really impressed with Jodie Williams today, hadn't seen her run before but she comes across as a very mature, surely a good prospect for the future if she keeps developing the way she is.

And a great well done to Mo Farah, was butted for Baddeley finishing in 4th though - always the worst place!

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 05 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

Young miler Stacey Smith unfazed in the face of early Paris exit, and so she should be:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/athletics-news/2011/03/05/stacey-smith-unfazed-despite-her-paris-exit-72703-28284400/

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 05 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm

Dwain Chambers admits that Indoors is not a priority this season:

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/athletics/0514055-euro-indoors-chambers-reveals-indoors-not-a-priority

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 7:56 am

Jodie Williams and Dwain Chambers have drawn lanes two and six respectively in their 60m finals later today, while both British relay teams go in four - the real surprise is that France is on a tough inside lane in men!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 1:23 pm

Renaud Lavillenie's new French pole vault record attempt at 6.03m yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXAuFL2VEI

Leslie Djhone, France, wins the men's 400m in impressive manner in 45.55 secs with Britain's Richard Buck edging bronze behind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PIxxZUOle8

Tiffany Offili is denied a European title in the women's 60mh by the skin of her teeth on her first major champs in a British vest, setting a massive UK record of 7.80 secs. She actually trails eventual winner Nytra (Germany) up to the last hurdle having got off to a slower start out of her blocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3nzIoFky0A

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Im-no-athlete Sun 06 Mar 2011, 2:33 pm

Go Helen!!!!!! Soooooo pleased for her.

Im-no-athlete

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 2:43 pm

A just rewards over years of dedication, endeavours and perseverance in the sport, Helen timed her move past Lydia Chojecka well to surge into the front up the back straight and dag deep down the home stretch to hold off a fast finishing Olesya Syreva in 8:56.66, a mere 0.03 secs separating the top two. The pole held on to bronze in 8:58.30. A huge well done to Helen! Hooray!!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 2:53 pm

Andie Osagie just misses out on a medal in the dying stages, a slight disappointment as he wasn't quite as fresh as yesterday, but a fourth place isn't bad at all overall - except that it is the place no athlete wants to be in!!

A slightly surprise win for Adam Kszcot (POL) who didn't look so convincing in the semis yesterday but what matters is getting it right on the day.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

Jenny (Meadows) did everything right except that she maybe went a bit too fast in the first 200m (27.96), which dented her finishing kick at the end when the Russian girl (Zinurova) came back. Fourth medal in as many major champs in the last couple of years now which is a fabulous feat by any means, even if that gold remains still elusive. But all she's got to do is look up to Helen Clitheroe and keep going, it will fall in place in the end.

http://www.sportresult.com/sports/la/ajax/eaa2.asp?event_id=10000100000119&ctype_id=149&module=competition&show=RL&lang=en&display_compID=52879

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 3:24 pm

Excellent and very encouraging, as well as very bold, race by Marilyn Okoro who defied the odds and was in the medals before her legs gave in the late stages for fifth in a second SB of 2:02.46 in these champs, laying the platform to mount a charge towards the top tier again in summer.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 3:40 pm

Marian Oprea powers out to a new champs record of 17.62m from the off in the triple jump, could he land the upset of the championships? Teddy (Tamgho) responds some way off with 17.46m. This should wind up into a massive final by the look of it!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

Teddy Tamgho responds with a new world record of 17.92 in the second attempt to stamp his authority on the field, having seen Italian Fabrizio Donato (the reigning champion) stretching out to a new national record of 17.70m earlier on!!

For a moment I thought that Teddy Tamgho landed over 18m but that wasn't far either!! Can the following two pull something out of their hat there? I don't think so but nothing can be ruled out...

Jodie Williams misses out on bronze by the narrowest of margins in an equal PB of 7.21 secs over 60m, the girl is magic!!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

Dwain showed once again that he's made of steel and nearly got there in the end, getting it right when it mattered and right when he isn't quite firing on all cylinders! He's totally elated to have turned things round and run a substantial SB of 6.54 secs! And he lost by a mere 0.01 to a nicest guy like Francis Obikwelu, so glad for him as well!

Pressure to perform before a home crowd may have weighed down Lemaitre there but he was out of it from the first stride out of the blocks.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 4:15 pm

Despite having run in the 800m final earlier on, both Marilyn Okoro and Jenny Meadows are employed in Britain's 4x400m over the last two legs!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Mar 2011, 5:35 pm

Jodie Willaims is the next cathy cook what a super star, she is one of those athletes you could coach to an Olympic medal simply by getting her to hop up and down stairs, you would have to be an exceptionally poor coach not to get her to the top!

That 50p is looking a safer bet now lsabre Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 7:22 pm

First, I still don't think Teddy Tamgho is going to get anywhere near Jonathan's world record this summer although he could be capable of something around 18.05-18.10 if he stays healthy. But I also do think that Phillips Idowu is on the way to land over 18m too.

Cathy Cook has been among my most favourite athletes ever and I would have loved her to win a major title over either 200 or 400m, her range was so impressive. What I wish for 'little' Jodie , first and foremost, is to enjoy plenty of health and keep off injuries on her way, the rest will fall in place and I could see her going far further than Cathy ever reached.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 7:42 pm

Great Britain have finished fourth on the medal table at the European Indoor champs with 2 golds, 5 silvers and 1 bronze that make eight medals overall, which I feel is a very good return particularly considering a well depleted team sent to Paris.

Here is the breakdown of British performances in Paris in numbers:

Golds (2)
Mo Farah (3000m), Helen Clitheroe (3000m)
Silvers (5)
Dwain Chambers (60m), Jenny Meadows (800m), Tiffany Offili (60mh), men's 4x400 (Nigel Levine, Nick Leavy, Richard Strachan, Richard Buck), women's 4x400 (Kelly Sotherton, Lee McConnell, Marilyn Okoro, Jenny Meadows)
Bronzes (1)
Richard Buck (400m)
4ths (3)
Andie Osagie (800m), Andy Baddeley (3000m), Jodie Williams (60m)
5ths (2)
Richard Strachan (400m), Marilyn Okoro (800m)

UK records (2)
Tiffany Offili 7.89, 7.80 (60mh)

PBs (4)
Jodie Williams 7.21, 7.21 (60m), Tiffany Offili 7.80, 7.89 (60mh)

SBs (4)
Dwain Chambers 6.54 (60m), Andy Baddeley 7:54.49 (3000m), Marilyn Okoro 2:02.46, 2:02.65 (800m)

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Sun 06 Mar 2011, 8:35 pm

Overall I think a good return from team GB, bearing in mind the smallish team we sent. A few disappointments countered by some nice surprises which overall worked out slightly positive IMO.

Can't wait for the summer season and Worlds where we should be aiming to keep the trend over the last few years moving forward towards London 2012. Osaka 61 placing points, Beijing 71, and Berlin 81. So we need to be aiming for 90+ points and 8+ medals at the Worlds.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

100 METRES
11.10 0.1 Kathy Smallwood/Cook
200 METRES
22.10 -0.1 Kathy Cook (ENG)
400 METRES
49.43 Kathy Cook (ENG)

perhaps you might tell us all just by how much better young Williams is going to be over cathy lsabre, some times might help?

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:40 pm

Going over the relays a little, I liked the way the girls pulled their weight around to ride out a modest lead-off leg by Kelly Sotherton and work their way into a well-deserved silver, despite Jenny Meadows and Marilyn Okoro stepping in shortly after the 800m final.

Lee McConnell was very impressive in particular to draw the team into the medal positions and the sharpest I've seen, so I speculate she could be working up to her best ever season yet. That 50.82 PB of hers has stayed there for so long and it's about time it made way.

What a run by Maz in the third leg and where did she draw that strength on less than an hour after a tough 800m final, she looks firmly on her way back and with a few more touches to her training she could be right up there with the very best. Likewise, Jenny put out a stout anchor to maintain her runner-up position for her second medal of the day.

Sotherton is still struggling at the moment and hasn't fully regained her fitness and sharpness of two-three seasons ago but Charles van Commennee is counting her in in view of London and makes sure she knows that.

On the men's side, Nigel Levine hasn't been quite in the form he was a couple of weeks ago and Nick Leavey didn't measure his effort well to fade bad at the end of the second leg, though unlucky to get an inadverted knock by the Belgian runner as he was gathering momentum past up the back straight.

Richard Strachan hauled the side back into contention but was also unlucky that the French runner found a way through on the inside round the bend, which very much tipped the balance of the race. Try as he might, Buck could not shake the French anchor man but held on to silver, his second medal of the champs.

In all, this has been a very prolific indoor term for the men's 400m featuring no less than seven guys under 47 secs and van Commennee should be rubbing his hands with the available options in summer.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:48 pm

All in good time about Jodie.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next