The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home nations team of the tournament so far

+34
HERSH
tomathy
RuggerRadge2611
21st Century Schizoid Man
Gatts
Biltong
hawalsh
The WarLord Mashaka
Submachine
maestegmafia
Scot Abroad
munkian
Nos na Gaoithe
wales606
Feckless Rogue
Sin é
Mad for Chelsea
D24tress
nathan
EnglishReign
Metal Tiger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Cowshot
formerly known as Sam
RubyGuby
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
rodders
GavinDragon
beshocked
mystiroakey
Cari
Standulstermen
Luckless Pedestrian
Glas a du
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Home nations team of the tournament so far Empty Home nations team of the tournament so far

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:03 am

15-9 Foden, North, BOD, Tuilagi, Earles, ROG, Phillips
1-8 Healy, Best, Ross, POC, AWJ, Ferris, Warburton, O'Brien
16-22 Jenkins, Thompson, Gray, Faletau, L Williams, Jones, Scott Williams.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Home nations team of the tournament so far Empty Re: Home nations team of the tournament so far

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:27 am

Call it a "what if the Lions were playing unspecified opposition tomorrow" side if you will.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Home nations team of the tournament so far Empty Re: Home nations team of the tournament so far

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 am

I'm still unconvinced by Tuilagi.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:30 am

Look 2 englishmen is going to cause a stir. I could have left him and Foden out and then what?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 am

You could make a case for Chris Ashton, who's the top try scorer so far this World Cup (I think).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 am

Yes, but Earles has scored against tougher opposition. To be honest Bowe and Ashton came very close.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 am

Kearney has been better than foden imo and Roberts should be at 12 with Tuilagi on the bench. The brand should be on the bench too and possibly Ashton on the wing.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 am

Ah-hem! Where is Tommy Bowe? Hmmmm? Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 am

Yes but I had to have a token Englishman you see. Brand is not close to the bench either. Stokosch and Hines would take the nod before him.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 am

cueto/armitage/ashton should be in with a shout

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 am

Cari wrote:Ah-hem! Where is Tommy Bowe? Hmmmm? Rolling Eyes

I thought you were taking care of him?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:37 am

mystiroakey wrote:cueto/armitage/ashton should be in with a shout

Yes, 2 would probably make the 30.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 am

Cueto has only played one game though has he not and the quality of opposition should be taken into account as well. Ashton certainly should be there though.

Haskell should be benching. He has played better than Faletau in fairness. The 3 backrowers picked however have been significantly above anything else in the NH though. Only Kaino could threaten that triumvirate in a global XV

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 am

errrr, i think we could have a few others an all glas

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 am

cueto will be back against france, so we shall see how he plays- he wants it bad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 am

If we are going on world cup form then an Englishman wouldn't get into the squad. Oh btw I am English. We have played that badly.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:44 am

mystiroakey wrote:errrr, i think we could have a few others an all glas

No two of those three I meant

Doh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 am

so just a mixture of welsh and irish then !

what shall we do if england get furthar than the other teams then- just pick 30 englishmen!

its obvious players like haskel,fodden,armitage and ashton should be in the team

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 am

15. Kearney
14. Ashton
13. O Driscoll
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Priestland (only because ireland cant seem to decide who their first choice ten is)
9. Blair

8. O Brien
7. Warburton
6. Ferris
5. POC
4. Charteris
3. Jones (over ross because jones more than held his own against a stronger scrum in SA)
2. Best
1. Corbisero

16. Hartley
17. Jenkins
18. Ross
19. Wyn Jones
20. Faletau
21. Phillips
22. Earls

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:48 am

I could live with that Dragon.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:50 am

15 Rob Kearney
14 George North
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Keith Earls
10 Ronan O'Gara
9 Mike Phillips
8 Toby Faliteau
7 Sean O'Brien
6 Stephen Ferris
5 Paul O'Connell
4 Alyn wyn Jones
3 Mike Ross
2 Rory Best
1 Cian Healy

Honourable mentions to Sam Warburton, Rhys Priestland, Chris Ashton, Dan Lydiate, Jamie Heaslip, Jonathon Davies and Tommy Bowe.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:50 am

oakey the reason for the lack of english players in my team TO DATE is because the irish/welsh teams have played better opposition in their matches, with ireland beating all put in front of them and wales beating all except SA,

england have looked ordinary against both Arg and Scotland, im not saying you wont/cant go on to win the world cup r that england are useless, just saying tht on form so far in the tournament not many have really put their hands up to be included in this sort of team, at the end of the world cup if england had beaten NZ in the final i may change my outlook

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:51 am

Standulstermen wrote:Haskell... has played better than Faletau in fairness.

I don't know if that's true. Faletau did well against the Boks' back row, and they're not bad, are they?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 am

mystiroakey have you only watched England games? Those guys who mentioned have been alright but 3 of those you mention have been involved in a controversy - Armitage with yet another ban, Ashton and Haskell - the hotel incident.

England have kept winning but they have limped across the line. They should cantered across against Scotland.

Plus the likes of North,Kearney,Faletau have been in better form than our players.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:59 am

Im not suggesting Faletua has been poor but Haskell has played well in some fairly average performances from his team ... and i am not a haskell fan

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:10 am

Glas a du wrote:Yes, but Earles has scored against tougher opposition. To be honest Bowe and Ashton came very close.

Sorry Russia and Italy are better than Georgia Romania and Scotland now? Hmmmm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:

I don't know if that's true. Faletau did well against the Boks' back row, and they're not bad, are they?

but wales lost that game- no disrespoect here but it does seem like abit of wales/irish rose tinted glasses are being worn on this thread.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Yes, but Earles has scored against tougher opposition. To be honest Bowe and Ashton came very close.

Sorry Russia and Italy are better than Georgia Romania and Scotland now? Hmmmm

well Italy are Run

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 am

italy are not better than scotalnd- and in fairness georgia gave us as tough a game as italy ever have against us- if not much tougher.

yep certainly better than romania

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:16 am

mystiroakey wrote:

but wales lost that game- no disrespoect here but it does seem like abit of wales/irish rose tinted glasses are being worn on this thread.

So defeat makes a good performance bad? Okay then.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 am

mystiroakey wrote:italy are not better than scotalnd- and in fairness georgia gave us as tough a game as italy ever have against us- if not much tougher.

I don't think there's much between Italy and Scotland right now. This is probably the strongest Italy side I've seen and they've certainly played better rugby than Scotland have in this tournament.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 am

mystiroakey just let the Irish and Welsh have their time in the sun. They have performed well so far. One will be knocked out on the weekend. The other might be out in 2 weeks time. Certainly if things to go plan. Ok!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 am

Cole, Deacon, Youngs, Tindall now that would be Rose tinted spectacles.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 am

mystiroakey wrote:

no not at all- but it can never make it a better performance(team wise) than a win against any other. people keep using the excuses for not picking english players is because england collectively havent played well- just making the point england havent lost a game but wales have. People should offcourse actually be looking at individual performnaces but there you go- just because england suposedly WON BADLY , doesnt mean certain players PLAYED BADLY

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:21 am

Lets get this right:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. O Driscoll
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Priestland
9. Phillips

8. O Brien
7. Warburton (Captain)
6. Ferris
5. POC
4. AWJ
3. Jones
2. Best
1. Corbisero

16. Hartley
17. Jenkins
18. Ross
19. Scotland Captain
20. Halfpenny
21. Scott Williams
22. Ashton

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 am

I'd probabley ditch Earles, especially if Bowe and Ashton are being left out as Earles has been on the end of moves but not really sparkled in my view. His work rate doesn't seem high as normal. I'd also probabley drop POC, which will no doubt cause inflamatary responses from the Irish posters but he looked miles off of the pace vs Italy and how he survived collapsing three mauls (two within ten metres of the line) only the ref can tell us. He looks a walking yellow card at the minute, plus too much mouth to the ref as well.

It's also a sad state of affairs if Mike Phillips and Corbisiero are being placed in the team. Phillips can't pass and Corbs tends to disappear in the loose.

I'd have gone for;

Healey, Best Jones
Deacon, Charteris
Croft, Ferris, SOB
Youngs (though I don't think any of the 9s have shone), Preistland
Roberts, Manu
North, Foden, Ashton

Bench; Thompson, Cole, AWJ, Warburton, Blair, Hook, S Lamont.

Cole, Deacon, Youngs, Tindall now that would be Rose tinted spectacles

Tindall definitley, the others have all shown some decent form.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 am

mystiroakey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

no not at all- but it can never make it a better performance(team wise) than a win against any other.

How can you think that, let alone type it? By that logic, running the All Blacks close would be a worse performance than beating Uruguay 3 - 0!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 am

Only English player I think there is a clear case for is Ashton, who is the top tryscorer in the comp to date, and that in a misfiring team

A misfiring side that has limped over the line to the ko phases with a points difference of +142, iirc. Shocked

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 am

roddersm wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:italy are not better than scotalnd- and in fairness georgia gave us as tough a game as italy ever have against us- if not much tougher.

I don't think there's much between Italy and Scotland right now. This is probably the strongest Italy side I've seen and they've certainly played better rugby than Scotland have in this tournament.

OK in order of IRB ranking for a neutral perpective:

Scotland
Italy
Georgia
Romania
Russia

Having said that I dont see many English player making the side because tehres few who have been consistebntly good, its been a case of team performances for the most part. Foden in with a shout at fullback, Thompson hooker but really Im struggling for anyone else.
Possibly Youngs at 9 if hes allowed Flood outside him ( but I guess Preistalnd and ROG get to argue over that spot) . Tuilagi at 13 if BOD wasnt BOD.
To write off 6 tries against 4 on that basis is silly.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 am

Doh Ruby now you've lost it!

No way has O'Driscoll, Corbiesero and Jones played better than Tuilagi, Healy and Ross respectively.

Hartley hasn't even been the best hooker in the Engish squad!.

Last edited by roddersm on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:26 am

Sam Youngs seriously? I know you are biased but come on! Admittedly he played well in his cameo vs Argentina but he had an easy ride from the England pack. Played poorly in his other appearances.

4 Leicester players in your team. What a surprise!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:30 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd probabley ditch Earles, especially if Bowe and Ashton are being left out as Earles has been on the end of moves but not really sparkled in my view. His work rate doesn't seem high as normal. I'd also probabley drop POC, which will no doubt cause inflamatary responses from the Irish posters but he looked miles off of the pace vs Italy and how he survived collapsing three mauls (two within ten metres of the line) only the ref can tell us. He looks a walking yellow card at the minute, plus too much mouth to the ref as well.

It's also a sad state of affairs if Mike Phillips and Corbisiero are being placed in the team. Phillips can't pass and Corbs tends to disappear in the loose.

I'd have gone for;

Healey, Best Jones
Deacon, Charteris
Croft, Ferris, SOB
Roberts, Manu
North, Foden, Ashton

not sure what games you have been watching. POC was very good against italy. His carrying was as good as it has ever been. Flawless lineout too and one maul was collapsed by DOC and for another he wasnt on the pitch.

genuinely not sure how Cole could be considered given the amount of penalties he conceded against argentina and Scotland. Deacon shouldnt make the england 2nd row over palmer (who is underrated) and Lawes. Youngs i thought has been slightly disappointing. He did well when he came on v arg but was very poor against Scotland. As you mention there have been no standouts though. Croft hasnt been in the same calibre as warburton, ferris and SOB.

Ashton you cant argue with imo. Scores tries which is what wingers do and he has looked for work more than usual imo. Thompson and Foden are there or thereabouts too.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:49 am

roddersm wrote:Doh Ruby now you've lost it!

No way has O'Driscoll, Corbiesero and Jones played better than Tuilagi, Healy and Ross respectively.

Hartley hasn't even been the best hooker in the Engish squad!.

Yeah you might have a point there, I'm rushing this thing this morning

Scott Williams, Tuiliagi and Healey are probably better choices however, Jones does what is required and I think he will answer your question v Ross this weekend. Ireland were poor against the USA and Adam has just been pure Ronseal in every match to date thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 am

Just make the Lions out of Irish/Welsh. It's an outdated concept like the Barbarians anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 am

Absolutely. Healy's in for an interesting match.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 am

Standulstermen wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd probabley ditch Earles, especially if Bowe and Ashton are being left out as Earles has been on the end of moves but not really sparkled in my view. His work rate doesn't seem high as normal. I'd also probabley drop POC, which will no doubt cause inflamatary responses from the Irish posters but he looked miles off of the pace vs Italy and how he survived collapsing three mauls (two within ten metres of the line) only the ref can tell us. He looks a walking yellow card at the minute, plus too much mouth to the ref as well.

I'd have gone for;

Healey, Best Jones
Deacon, Charteris
Croft, Ferris, SOB
Roberts, Manu
North, Foden, Ashton

not sure what games you have been watching. POC was very good against italy. His carrying was as good as it has ever been. Flawless lineout too and one maul was collapsed by DOC and for another he wasnt on the pitch.

genuinely not sure how Cole could be considered given the amount of penalties he conceded against argentina and Scotland. Deacon shouldnt make the england 2nd row over palmer (who is underrated) and Lawes. Youngs i thought has been slightly disappointing. He did well when he came on v arg but was very poor against Scotland. As you mention there have been no standouts though. Croft hasnt been in the same calibre as warburton, ferris and SOB.

Ashton you cant argue with imo. Scores tries which is what wingers do and he has looked for work more than usual imo. Thompson and Foden are there or thereabouts too.
It won't bepopular, but I'd find room for Euan Murray if it wasn't a Sunday game! And i thought Ross Ford had a v good tournament in a crap team, certainly better than Thompson and Hartley. Richie Gray has been off-form, so he wouldn't make it either OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:53 am

Fair play Asbo. clap

You are a proper gent.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am

beshocked wrote:Sam Youngs seriously? I know you are biased but come on! Admittedly he played well in his cameo vs Argentina but he had an easy ride from the England pack. Played poorly in his other appearances.

4 Leicester players in your team. What a surprise!

Erm

When you have so many internationals from one team it is hard sometimes not to pick players from the same team... ala Leinster, Ospreys etc.

Talk us through the internationals from Saracens then that you think should have been picked instead. laughing
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:04 am

England's only stand out players for me have been Tuilagi and Ashton. If Flood had played more he might've made a case for himself.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:06 am

Croft was pretty useful against Scotland, easily the pick of England's backrow - he might be worth a place?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next