The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Fry's.com Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

+17
ScottieD18
oldparwin
venice1
NedB-H
EmmDee57
Diggers
princedracula
super_realist
McLaren
Maverick
pedro
Shotrock
John Cregan
KeizoYamata
Lairdy
raycastleunited
kwinigolfer
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Fry's.com Open: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Fry's.com Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:26 pm

1).What was the big talking point in the Las Vegas desert last weekend?
~Kevin Na's win, the first of his career, which bumped Brian Davis up to #3 on the list of players with highest career earnings but no Tour win?
0r:
~Na's apparent whiff on the 15th tee in Round 3? Whilst I'm quite prepared to believe that Na's airball was part of his normal routine when he's uncomfortable with his swing, and was apparently not a whiff, I was shocked to see him suggest that, should he touch the ball in error, he was entitled to re-tee with no penalty. He attributed this ruling to PGA Tour official John Brendle (you'll see him at tournaments with the light blue shirt, bleached blonde hair and John Boehner perma-tan). Now, that I can't believe and some clarification is surely now overdue from PGA Tour HQ?

2).No controversy about the way Na won, though. The worst (statistically) ball-striker on Tour, he's also owner of one of the very best short games and he certainly proved that last weekend. No surprise that Na should snaffle his first win in the desert, two of his 3 runner-up finishes have been in the Arizona desert (Tucson and Phoenix, where he's also enjoyed two other top 4's), and he has multiple career top tens at the Bob Hope as well as good finishes in Las Vegas without hitting the jackpot.

3).Nick Watney will probably be disappointed with finishing second; he's now $550K behind Luke Donald for the money title, but I'd be shocked if he played on Tour again this year. Still waiting to find out if Webb Simpson will try to make up his $70K deficit by playing either of the year's final two events, hoping to overtake Donald.

4).Tim Herron made sure of his 2012 Tour Card by manoeuvre-ing his 15-stone (that's what pgatour.com says, probably within 5 stone anyway) into fifth place at the "Timberlake", while Na, Tommy Gainey and Spencer Levin close in on the top 30 money and a Masters invitation.

5).When I was looking at the golfers outside the Top 125 in need of good results just to keep their card, I was shocked to see Vaughn Taylor's name; he often seems to be in the shake-up, at least in the early rounds of tournaments, so what's up?
"Final Round" scoring is what's up. Since starting Bay Hill's Round 3 close to the lead and carding a weekend 76,77, he's posted his poorest round in a tournament on Sundays 7 times of the 9 final rounds he's played. In 6 of those final rounds, he's scored at least 2 shots higher than the previous three. Had he just maintained his Round 3 position on Sunday, he'd have earned an extra $450K and he'd be playing Fall Series events with job security instead of being about $400K short of the likely threshold for keeping his card.
I was only interested in Taylor because of his 2006 Ryder Cup heritage and the fact that he has fantastic tempo in his swing, great to watch. But something's going awry between the ears.
Notables with terrible "Final Round" scoring stats include, in the bottom 15:
Nathan Green, Micheel, Goydos, Daly, JP Hayes, Taylor, Beem and Cejka, all arguably on the downside of their careers. Saturday may be Moving Day, but Sunday is Pay Day and this is a stat which highlights players who are not getting it done.

6).We mentioned course conditions at Medinah CC a few weeks ago. Golf World quotes Don Larson, Chairman of the 2012 Ryder Cup, as saying:
"Nobody's satisfied with the condition of the course. But things are getting much better. We're confident the course will be ready for next year." Phew!
After all the complaints about rain at Celtic Manor, and considering last weekend is 52 weeks removed from the 2012 Chicago shindig, it's worth noting that last week's Chicago weather saw temps in the 50's and 60's and almost two inches of rain.

7).Talking of Team matches, Steve Stricker underwent an MRI last week on his neck, but no word yet on any prognosis. And his expected partner at the Presidents Cup, Tiger Woods, will have his health, physical and mental, under the microscope this week as he makes his latest return to Tour action.

8).This week's Fry's.com Open is held at CordeValle G.C. in the San Jose area on a Robert Trent Jones Jr design. What a shame it cannot be held a few miles up the road at Pasatiempo, a classic Alister MacKenzie course. Let's hope some of the players take a busman's holiday trip to play it.

9).Tiger Woods will receive all the ink this week but Paul Casey will be the highest ranked player. Els, Immelman, Sabbatini and Cabrera are other big "International" names on hand.
Woods plays Rounds 1 and 2 with Oosthuizen and Walker Cupper Patrick Cantlay - while much has been made of the fortunes of Walker Cuppers turning pro and playing their trade on either side of the water hazard, Harris English probably has the best pro result so far, losing a Nationwide Play-Off last week to Danny Lee.

10).And we can't let this week go by without speculating about Joe LaCava. Former boss Fred Couples defends his title on the Champions Tour this week in Houston. Will Joe's new man fare as well this week at the Fry's.com?

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:54 am; edited 3 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Fry's.com Open: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Fry's.com Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

Great stuff as always Kwini.

Tim Herron weighs 15 stone.... hmmmmm.... maybe when he was 12 twelve years old. cake

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Fry's.com Open: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Fry's.com Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Lairdy Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:31 pm

Hi Kwini, great stuff again.

I suppose if we accidentally knock the ball off the tee whilst addressing it without the stroke counting then Na can hit the ball with an aborted swing without it counting... says in the definitions that if the player "checks his swing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke." Then in the rules "If a ball, when not in play, falls off a tee or is knocked off a tee by the player addressing it, it may be re-teed, without penalty. However, if a stroke is made at the ball in these circumstances, whether the ball is moving or not, the stroke counts, but there is no penalty." So technically, if Na claims he checked his swing before the clubhead reached the ball, meaning no stroke is made, but it still hit he would be allowed to re-tee it without penalty. Does seem a bit dubious relying on a players say so that he checked his swing but thats what the rules say.

Tim Herron 15 stone? is that US weight scales they are using?

Whats the betting that Donald and Webb both turn up at the last fall event? Disney? Leaving it to the last minute to enter? Would it be a sideshow to the guys at the other end of the scale?

Looking forward to seeing how this latest comeback goes as I'm fed up hearing about injuries and excuses. We all know he can play good golf and the sooner he gets back to normal the better. I really dont want to see him slide down the world rankings any further. Who? Tiger? No!! Casey!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:47 pm

Alas a tournament I can finally watch Very Happy

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Oct 2011, 6:06 pm

Thanks Raycastle, Lairdy,
Herron's a pretty fun guy to follow, "Good Lord, Herron!" bellowing across the fairways as another short falls short of perfect. Comes from a family of top-notch amateur golfers - no reports on their size.

Lairdy,
Aware of the rule, but always considered this was for inadvertent contact when placing or addressing the ball. Think most people did. Very fine line there, PGA Tour needs to speak up soon or they'll be seen as leaving the can of worms wide open. Especially where Na's concerened. He's certainly contacted enough objects in his career to leave doubt as to what's intentional, what's not.

Not sure what to make of the money race; I'd expect Simpson to play McGladrey's next week if he has any plans at all to overhaul Luke, would give him a little wiggle room. And hope Luke has enough common sense to leave his clubs in the garage for two months as he originally intended; he needs the break.

Hi Keizo,
Glad you'll be watching - wonder if you'll be wearing your Rolex to celebrate TW's latest endorsement deal?

Forbes recently published their evaluation of sportsmen as a "brand" for 2010:
1).Woods: $55M
2).Federer: $26M
3).Mickelson: $24M
4).Beckham: $20M
4).Lebron James: $20M

Would expect Woods to take a dip in 2011, then be well over $60M in 2012 provided he makes any semblance of a comeback.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:00 pm

Kwini,

Great read as always...................I
in the days when Tiger did as he pleased and won about 30/40% of every time he teed it up, he was about a 16 events a year man compared with an average 28 events a year for most top pros. Do you think this will change given his current standing in the game??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

Thanks John,
No, doubt Tiger will change the number of events he plays, but if he doesn't roar back to the form most pundits seem to expect he might have to change one or two, such as the WGC's.
I think the Fry's is a bit of a one-off; apparently there's some sort of endorsement deal with Fry's in the offing and money talks as loud to Tiger as ever it did.
This has happened with other players of course but it must be chastening for Tiger to actually have to give his schedule some consideration rather than merely take it for granted.

Wonder how everyone expects him to do this week? I'd assume top twenty but not sure I'd be more bullish than that.
If I was to place $10.00 each way, it would be on Spencer Levin at 25/1 (on Paddy Power), Kevin Stadler best outsider!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

Kwin - Fine writeup and reporting. The BBC should hire you as a US based correspondent!

Top 20 for Tiger would be very good IMO.

Met and chatted with Tim Herron this summer at the AT&T. He plays out of Wayzata as does a friend of mine he's known to. Seemed like a fine guy from my brief chat with him.

Pasatiempo would be nice!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:39 pm

In general, the stroke counts as long as you intend to hit the ball. And since golf is played by gentlemen only, ones intentions are always clear, right?

Birdie, eagle, albatros, herron? One bird larger and fatter than the other. What kind of animal is a "Lowry"? Dog

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

Good write up as always Kwini.

Regarding the Na incident I think it's much ado about nothing really, when watching in slow mo you can clearly see he lifts up away from the shot, if this were done by one of the tours darlings like Woods, Mickelson or even Rory (yet to return to PGA I know) they would say what control to be able to do that mid shot instead its Mr Happy Na so it's getting more column inches.

Agree the Tiger will have to revisit his schedule plans now that he is not top 50 OGWR his fans must be praying for a timely return to form. I do not dislike Tiger I think he's great for the game overall but how refreshing the tour has been this year focusing on all types of player and not one man. That said I would happily see him break jacks record as I could say i've seen parts with my own eyes but you have to question if it's still there.

For me ths week the player i'm interested in is Cantlay, fantastic scoring stats when he has played the tour events this year, i'm sure I read somewhere his scoring average if he were a tour player for the events he had played would have put him high on the average list.

Be surprised if Stricker makes the Pres cup team, a sad loss as everyone knows one of my fave guys on tour but he has to put his career first.

One last note totally not golf Kwini, not seen much Baseball or baseball news last couple weeks hows the Yankees doing did they manage to level the series, have just resubscribed to ESPN today hopefully to catch some of the action

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:05 pm

Maverick - Just a GREAT Yankee game last night. Granderson made a defensive play in the first inning that kept AJ on track. He was like a car skidding on ice that inning, but once he started pitching well the innings melted away. The final score is really not indicative of how close this game was.

The Yankees are a team chock-full of cagey, unshakable veterans. Their starting pitching isn't as strong as most other teams still playing this month, but they simply find a way to get it done. I hope tomorrow is no different.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

Shotrock: Thanks for that, appreciate the update so thats 2-2 for the series then by my maths. I know what you mean but the experience of those veterans can do a lot for a team at this stage of the season. Alas cannpt get back out to watch any games this year, but come 2012 i'm already planning my trips to the NYC area and looking at when I can make a few games hoping to take in 3 Yankees games and a JETS match when i'm out there as got a couple of trips planned, one with the good lady let her go shopping while I take our oldest boy to feel the excitement of game day he's only 6 and he loves it when I record the games

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:26 pm

Spoken like a true New Yorker Shotrock, couldn't agree more, except that Granderson's sliding catch later was absolutely out of this world, quite brilliant!

About Lumpy: Tim Herron is the third generation Herron to play in a US Open following his father and grandfather, plus his sister has neen MN Ladies Amateur Champion; I'm not sure what a collection of herrons is called, but it is probably something more substantial than a flock or gaggle!

Mav,
Cantlay's summer was phenomenal but it feels as if he wasn't quite the same player at Royal Aberdeen; I assume he's back at University so we'll see how he fares. Remember, it's just two years ago that Jamie Lovermark and Rickie Fowler were beaten in a 3-way play off for this title, albeit at the former venue in Arizona.
The only thing I've seen about Stricker is that, regardless of his golf, he won't miss "bow" hunting season, even if his health means he has to use a crossbow. Strange how so many golfers hunt.

Special night for the Yanks last night, but all for nought if they come up short in the decider (Game 5) at The Stadium Thursday night.

I meant to mention that it was good to see Mark Mouland win on the European Senior Tour a week or so ago; he attained a very tenuous status on the Champions Tour but hardly made the field at all, Roger Chapman not much better. They played OK, but never had high enough finishes to make any money towards exemptions for 2012. Not sure if they'll return to Q-School, where I assume they'll find Barry Lane?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:47 pm

Kwini

Not sure Pasa is anywhere near long enough for the pro's and the property already looks pretty tight. I would still hope some of them go and give it a go. According to a member I played with Tiger played there a few times in the week or so before his 2000 us open win at pebble.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:10 am

Mac,
I would think if Fry's contestants played Pasa they'd all learn a thing or two.

On the subject of Keizo, he knows he's always welcome on my thread; sometimes he makes a good point and it would be a shame if we forgot that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:18 am

Kwini, you may be right about some sort of statement on the recent Na ruling even if its for the benefit of us amateurs with a gentle reminder on the etiquette section of the rules.

Liking the Spencer Levein shout. I wont be suprised if Tiger is near the top 5 this week. I've never really bought in to the theory that its more than just his swing and injuries.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm

I think he's lost what few marbles he had, I also wish he'd cease this stupid "W" expression, I suspect he'll be more in the "L" column this week.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 06 Oct 2011, 1:28 pm

L for Leader?

Do all golf fans not want to see tiger come out and play well, it will only make for better majors next year?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

Must admit, I couldn't imagine four more compelling Majors than 2011's supply, give or take a PGA, which was exciting, but two such bland protagonists.
But am quite prepared to accept that Tiger ignited the first couple of hours of The Masters, which made the final two hours so thrilling.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 06 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

No.

I want to see Tiger play well.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:00 pm

There's a guy playing in this week's Nationwide tournament called: Nicklaus Newcomb.
He should be paired with Seve Benson.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

McLaren wrote:L for Leader?

Do all golf fans not want to see tiger come out and play well, it will only make for better majors next year?

No Mac, L for Loser.
It would be like you wanting Manchester City to win the league.
I personally hope he retires as his presence ruins coverage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:15 pm

It's been unseasonably wet and cool in the South Bay; perhaps the pall of sadly dark clouds over Apple HQ in Cupertino just to the north are affecting CordeValle too?

Regardless, there's been about 3 inches of rain these past few days, there are still storm clouds around and it's a bit chilly (mid 40's) as Ernie and the rest get moving for Round 1.

But after today the weekend forecast is splendid, temps close to 80F by Sunday.

Woods is off at 12.10 p.m. (8.10 p.m. BST) and it should have warmed up by then, but it could be a bit parky when he launches his Round 2.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

Kwini, What time are the world number 50 and 52 out at?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:26 pm

I take your point, s_r, think they're taking the week off.
I was actually trying to imply that TW was likely to enjoy more favourable conditions than the umbrella and gloves brigade playing this morning.
But I DID mention #45 and, by inference, #49!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:31 pm

I just hope his performance and subsequent coverage reflect his ranking.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

Tiger could be ranked 1000 and have more TV appeal than some of the current top ten.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

Only amongst pathetic Woods lickspittles who know nothing about golf Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

S_R - Why all the interest in Tiger Woods?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

Early leader on the course at the Nationwider is Doug Barron, he of the (very calculated) drug ban a year or two ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:47 pm

kwini clap

Early starts show a slightly over par average... I'll be cheering for Casey this week here...

It Woods be good if Tiger plays well again! Whistle
...but I hope they'll show some of Casey as well on tv, or perhaps I want a bit too much...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Must admit, I couldn't imagine four more compelling Majors than 2011's supply, give or take a PGA, which was exciting, but two such bland protagonists.
But am quite prepared to accept that Tiger ignited the first couple of hours of The Masters, which made the final two hours so thrilling.

The only think compelling about the Open was the fact that it produced such a popular winner for many. Have to say I found it a grey, bleak and pretty dull tournament with no real doubt about its conclusion. Ive never really got the whole Darren Clark lovefest so was all a bit lost on me to be honest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:58 pm

Ironic bedfellows at the head of affairs in California:
Na and Sabbatini, only golfers under par!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:00 pm

Na, Na, Na, Na,....
Na..t again!?

Na & Sabba at the top, lovely pair!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:02 pm

snap kwini!

I bet you love it... wait till Crane and Slocum will join them! mad

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

Slocum should be playing with Cantlay . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:04 pm

Is there a more loathsome man to see play than Sabba? The guy is like a dose of thrush!

Will dip in and out tonight from a viewing stand point as I will be interested in seeing how Woods game is looking at the moment and want to see Cantlay against the pro'; but my viewing attention will be on the MLB see if the yankees can win the decider

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:35 pm

Late night then Mav, first pitch scheduled for 1.07 a.m. Friday for you!

CordeValle seemingly playing quite difficult, only 16 golfers under par as most of the morning wave make their turn; not sure what sort of set-up TW would prefer, but think he'll be happy not to be struggling in this morning's weather. Still cool (low 50's) with plenty of showers in the area - at least it will be dry for him (and Casey of course) Friday morning.

Super round (6 under par) for Greg Owen in the Nationwider, and he probably would think he could use three more of them. Time running out if he wants to avoid Q-School.
Chopra seemingly going through the motions in his round. Matt Richardson and the other Swedish suspects out later and also Denmark's Henrik Simonsen.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:36 pm

I think it will be fascinating to see how Woods plays tonight. There can be no more excuses surely and his old one of "i putted just terrible" won't wash either........................

Im really hoping for an upturn for him, not because i like him, but i would love to see him back at the top competing for more majors with a chance to reach the magic 18......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:39 pm

I love the Fall Season events, get to hear names that have I've never come across until now. Scott Gutschewski isn't one I've been aware of. He's off to a good start today though. Daniel Summerhays, Jim Herman, Fran Quinn & D.J. Brigman are a few other names not familiar to me.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:43 pm

Each won has a story, EmmDee, Summerhays uncle won a fortune on the Seniors Tour for instance and young Daniel was one of the first amateurs to win on the Nationwide.
And Fran Quinn is essentially a club pro, a lifer on the Nationwide who's had cameos on the PGA Tour - last chance probably at age 46!

And Gutschewski is the Tour's longest sentence.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:44 pm

Kwini, good week for the European guys in the Nationwide pre-qualifier! Apart from Simonsen there's also Finland's Joachim Altonen, neither of whom I know anything about. And Spain's Sam Del Val, good college golfer in Georgia and been playing well on the mini-tours since turning pro last year; and Linus Gillgren of Sweden, who turned pro this summer and has already flunked the first round of Q-school, but clearly has something about him, having already qualified for a Nationwide event a few weeks back and missed the cut by a shot. Would be good to see at least one of them make the cut here.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:47 pm

Ned, thumbsup
Surprised not to find Russell Knox not in the field, just up the road from Knoxville where he had his first breakthrough.
Mr.Blixt is pretty much a dead cert for his card; hope it's not too much too soon for him - good to have a new name Swede on the Tour though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:59 pm

Indeed a late one for me kwini but no work for a wee while now with Mrs Mav ready to pop (actually due tomorrow in fact) so thought I'd make most of it and get in my first game for a while. Looking forward to taking Mav junior to sone Yankees home games next year.

Ned where abouts in kent are you could maybe arrange a get together at some point post mini mav birth

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

Cheers Kwini,

Knox has been treading water for a little while now, lots of finishes in the 50s, get the impression that he could maybe do with a break. Must be hard to keep motivation going once your card's sealed too! Been a top effort from the Europeans there this year, 3 basically confirmed already to "graduate", and Chopra and Owen still in with a chance, especially after Owen's good start today.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:22 pm

Mav,
Should be a thriller tonight, provided the Yanks win. An hour before that there'll be the opening game of the NHL season with the Bruins hoisting the Stanley Cup banner to the rafters in Boston. Bound to be a special night, even for a Canadiens fan!

Yankee Stadium certainly a thrill, but out of my price-range if I go en famille; prefer to spend the big sporting bucks closer to home at the Bell Centre in Montreal.
Very best wishes for the Mav clan; trust Mrs.Mav has a caesarean booked so you can plan things properly, complete with essential post-natal drinkies with your mates! Cheers Bubbly

Ned,
Sure you're right about Knox; I just couldn't understand why he went fartarsing around California and West Texas when he could have planned some rest and been fresh for events closer to home. Miami next week, then he's home for the Jacksonville tournament, then the TC. Crucial to have as high a finish as possible so that he can play some tournaments before the first reshuffle.

I see Gene Sauers is playing in the Nationwide: His first PGA Tour auspices event for more than six years; the promise of Champions Tour golf next August will do that for you!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:06 pm

Sometimes we go to Pro Golf Tournaments, see players striping it off the tee, fizzing perfect irons to the green, and wonder why they're languishing at the arse-end of the moneylist.

Exhibit A: Joe Durant:
His 2011 driving average is tops on Tour, Number One!
Greens in regulation? 4th!!
Ball-Striking: 14th.
"Strokes gained putting?" 181st of 185 (Boo Weekley is plug last, and his ball-striking is also pretty swish.)

And today Durant hit 12 greens in regulation, no birdies and 27 putts on those greens. That's amateur hour.
Dead last of the morning wave, so far, and destined to miss another cut. 160th in money and dropping like a stone. Q-School beckons. Sad really.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

Durant....wow.............that is tough. Drives like a World No.1, putts like me....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:02 pm

Afternoon kwini,

Taking this small window of opportunity to say hello and can only follow the NoCal event scores from my phone. Hope to be fully online at work in about 2 weeks time. Would love to follow the Oosty, Cantlay and Tiger group. Consecutive bogeys after an opening birdie is a tough pill to swallow but that should be expected with limited competitive play.

Getting psyched up for the Skanks in about 4 hours. Excellent playoffs so far for all matchups. Hopefully Tex and ARod have figured out how to hit for tonight's deciding game.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

Quick Hello then venice.
PS: Your homeboy Gagli had a super round going at the Madrid event.

Looking forward very nervously to tonight's entertainment, thought AJ did just fine after the Grandyman bailed him out of the first. How d'you like Granderson's snag in the 6th??? Brilliant!

See you in two weeks then!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next