The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wembley game 'unlikely to be a sellout'

+4
GB1919
GurTPL
TM Moot
Grizzly
8 posters

Go down

Wembley game 'unlikely to be a sellout' Empty Wembley game 'unlikely to be a sellout'

Post by Grizzly Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 am

First time during the international series is there a threat Wembley will not be a sellout.
I guess the three main reasons are:

1. Global downturn of the economy
2. Novelty is over, it's run its course
3. Lockout resulted in lost fans/reduced interest

Got to say that of the above 3 options I'd say 1 is the main contributor.

Any views ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Wembley game 'unlikely to be a sellout' Empty Re: Wembley game 'unlikely to be a sellout'

Post by TM Moot Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:41 am

Listening to the radio yesterday, I was surprised by the number of ads promoting the game, especially as it normally sells out straight away.

Must admit, I haven't got any tickets this year, partly due to cashflow, which backs up Option 1.

Don't think Option 3 is valid to be honest. Possibly Option 2, but this flies in the face of the idea of 2 international games per season at Wembley.

How about Option 4 - the teams?

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Wembley game 'unlikely to be a sellout' Empty Re: Wembley game 'unlikely to be a sellout'

Post by GurTPL Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:44 am

I think it's actually reason 4.

4. Fans come not just from all over the UK, but all over Europe. The Wembley game is normally announced in January, giving people from all over the continent 9-10 months to arrange travel, accommodation, and their holiday days off work. This time they got 2-3 months to organise all of that, bearing in mind that booking all that lot probably cost more because it wasn't nearly as far in advance, plus that's assuming that holiday days hadn't already been taken.

I don't think it's due to the economy, because the economy was even weaker the past few years and it still managed to sell out. I just don't think the NFL gave the non-UK based European fan enough time to organise everything that's needed - and that probably applies to a lot of UK fans that don't live within a few hour drive too.

A small factor, is I know a very few people who aren't going because they've already seen the Bucs play, so that might be a little bit of a factor, but mainly, I think it's just the lack of time to plan the trip over.

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 am

Gur - interesting points, which are effectively an extension of the problems caused by the lockout no ?

As for the teams, I agree it might not be the most inspiring of match ups but Tampa have a massive UK following and the Bears come from my generation of fans and were the mid 80s 'dream team' only better that the 2011 pretenders !
Are people waiting for a Pats v Packers match up ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:22 am

Just a thought, but will we be 'blacked out' ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:47 am

I can definitely say that reason 4 is why I'm not going. This is the first year that I have had the time and money to go and was all set to buy tickets when they were released. Unfortunately the short notice meant that travel and accomodation prices were way to high and stopped me from attending. If I had found out at the usual time as in previous years I'd certainly be there.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 am

how about 5 the teams involved, you need a game with real rivalry maybe a Cowboys v Skins or Eagles, a Jets v Pats or Fins or a Packers v Bears
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:02 am

well, bucs/bears are old division rivals from the NFC Central, although obviously that's not as storied as the others you mentioned. still, it's undeniable that this is a much better match up than niners/broncos were?

I also doubt we'll ever see a divisional game here - those games are far too important when it comes to playoff tiebreakers, so i dont think a team will ever give up homefield advantage for one of those games

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:13 am

I would have thought the Chicago Bears would have been a big attraction.

As someone has already stated they were one of the big teams in the 1980s along with the likes of the Redskins, Cowboys, Dolphins and 49ers.

What other games from that week may have been a better choice?

Possibly the Miami Dolphins v Denver Broncos? But then the Dolphins have already been.

The Cowboys v Rams might have been of interest had the Rams still have been in Los Angeles.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:00 pm

I was tempted as I went to the '85 Bowl, but its too little too late on the org. front and besides, I can't really afford to go.

In fact, 85 is the last time I went to Wembley!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Tickets were pretty pricey given the economy and the general lateness (but that probably affects European visitors more as someone above has suggested).

Also, they normally sell them or start the process in January/February around the playoffs and it gets heavy advertising in the lead up to the Superbowl where loads of casual fans will tune in and decide to buy.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 pm

http://www.nfluk.com/opinions/articles/alistair-kirkwood-qa

The above may be the link this article was originally inspired by. I found it whilst trawling for info regarding exactly how many tickets had been sold.

On a side note;
Does anyone else think that since the redesign, NFLUK is a total nightmare of website (i'm not saying it was particularly wonderful to begin with).
Homepage when opened on default view is literally a picture of Josh Freeman. Scroll down and there are a few links to NFL.com articles.
You have to actively hunt out the articles page from which this is from... it was posted 2 days ago yet is on page 3 of the articles section because
- a) its a small list in big font
- b) they keep plugging new sponsors of the NFL in the UK (I suppose I condone this if it brings money in) and
- c) because they have filled the articles page with Neil Reynolds reviewing every game this week in a separate article.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Very little I do is inspired by NFLUK sadly, in fact I went on there last week for the first time since last season.
I saw it on BBC website whilst unbelievably bored this morning...

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down