The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia- New Zealand

+8
TheGreyGhost
RubyGuby
Biltong
Taylorman
disneychilly
chewed_mintie
mystiroakey
majesticimperialman
12 posters

Go down

Australia- New Zealand Empty Australia- New Zealand

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Who do you think will go through to the final?

You would have to say NZ, but with most of the points of todays game coming from the boot of PIRI WEPU.
I think that unless NZ get at ry early on then Australia will win.

That is just my opinion what is yours?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Australia- New Zealand Empty Re: Australia- New Zealand

Post by mystiroakey Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:57 pm

i think NZ will just keep doing what they are doing, and that is stamp authority down later on and win . This is gonna be a great match- no disresepct to any other side here- but the kiwis respect aus possibly more than NH teams do- so they will be well up for the game.. I think aus will get a quick start- but over the 80 mins - the kiwis will come out on top, just as they have against other teams. SA had something like 80 % terriotory on them, irlenad looked a class above them. I can only see one winner

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Australia somehow won despite themselves today. Think South Africa were beaten by Bryce Lawrence rather than Australia, though he got one decision spot on calling back the forward pass from de Villiers.

What is clear is that both teams have troubles at flyhalf. NZ bettered the Argies at scrumtime which bodes well for getting on top of the Oz pack. Build from there and use the pick and goes against Australia who don't like that tactic and that is a start.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:01 pm

mystiroakey, the problem with Australia is that NZ like to play open rugby too, when they come up against a more pragmatic opponent then they just can't work out what to do if running the opposition ragged doesn't work. NZ can actually change the way they play to a tighter game as the scenario suits

Hence, Australia remains an enigma. They, like others I suspect, save their best for NZ.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 pm

You're dead right there Madge-I think out of the 3N sides you guys view Aussie as the lame duck of the three in a race that you can get at. They are a bloody good side but drop more games against the NH than NZ or SA.

My mental state is just starting to deteriorate lol. Much will be made of the Eden Park factor but just as important is that NZ have never beaten Oz in a WC match. We outmuscled one of the most physical teams in the world today, and managed to wear down a side whose defence and scrambling were quite staggering. That is encouraging, but the Aussies will be man sausage-a-hoop about winning a game that they should have lost. SA's decisions under pressure today reminded me of NZ four years ago.

I can't call this one. I've said for two years that Australia will win the WC, but they haven't addressed the shortcomings I thought they would by now. For Henry and McCaw, this is the kitchen sink game. The game of their careers. Both are champions but haven't exhibited it yet at the World Cup. I think the 91 and 03 tapes should be rolled out. They hurt. So did HK and Brisbane this year. This is a cold-blooded rough as guts revenge match for all that hurt rolled into one. That builds the pressure on us. But if we think about the hurt it came from instead of the pressure itself, you can use that as motivation without it distracting and suffocating you.

Bring it on. Oh and Quade, Richie's been waiting. This game he's coming after you Very Happy

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:16 pm

disneychilly wrote:Bring it on. Oh and Quade, Richie's been waiting. This game he's coming after you Very Happy

thumbsup

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:29 pm

The reason I would have preferred SA is as Ive said previously...with SA you know you will get an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance from them. The home factors would have tilted things our way more.

With Oz its the same- they don't do well at Eden Park, but with them you could get a 5 or 12 out of 10- a 12 will blow anyone out of the water.

The Quade factor will be the focus of this match all week with his horror display against SA and it will build against him.

Deans might need to make a second courageous decision after Horwill.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Australia have not shown me anything that will give them a 12/10 performance.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:50 pm

No. I agree. But neither did they before Brisbane, nor France in 1999 and 2007.
Its our experiences with these freak performances Biltong- they keep happening to us. SA in 95 was actually another. SA played way beyond what they showed pre final compared to what NZ did.
its a NZ thing. We keep pulling out the freakish best in some teams.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Australia IMO look a far more complete team and the 9 and 10 axis for NZ is looking woeful. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:55 pm

I thought the forward pass call was harsh.

Sure it was marginally forward. But when guys run at pace, the ball can drift forward even if thrown backwards.

I think this is a grey area that needs to be "clarified".

I've seen far worse cases where momentum makes a good pass drift forward. Especially in high tempo tri-nations matches, especially presided over by SH refs who tend to be sympathetic to the impossibility to passing backwards when running so fast.

What is lacking in the analysis that showed the ball's trajectory was a consideration of where the players were relative to each other when it was passed.

SA dominated many facets of the game, and I thought Australia were very lucky. I'm not sure if they were beaten by BL, I think the early loss of HB may have allowed Pocock an easier reign at the breakdown.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I think the early loss of HB may have allowed Pocock an easier reign at the breakdown.

I agree with this.

I also don't think the ref did SA any favours, but if you have that much possession and territory and don't convert it, then you're your own worst enemy. It's a real shame, because I had SA pegged to win.
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:07 pm

I was surprised they didn't try more drop goals, they had the possession and territory to repeat '99

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:16 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Australia IMO look a far more complete team and the 9 and 10 axis for NZ is looking woeful. thumbsup

It actually just got a little better Ruby...Weepu is now cert for 9- hes very street smart and as we saw has a very good close range goal kicking style- he doesnt hit it as high as others and that keeps the ball truer. Its actually quite rare.

Cruden will play 9 and hes done his Donald/ Slade yips more than a year ago- starred in the recent provincial champs and is one that make things happen. Also has a near 90% kicking record after a truckload of practice all year. His late recall means he's missed the time to become nervous. Plus with Weepu inside and Nonu/ Smith outside- he's familiar with due to the Hurricanes.

I just think we'll be ok there. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:23 pm

I know what you mean here Taylorman and I'd be thinking the same in your position. However, watching the game today I actually thought that the fact that Weepu was possibly one of your best players showed the lack of quality in the 9 axis. He is a great journeyman type of player for me and very streetwise and unpredictable but I think he really lacks ability as an international 9. I thought the young lad showed great promise when he came on and I liked the swagger he had and the fact he took the game to the Argies, again though he just needs to get the percentages right. I still think this channell could be exploited by Aus and for me it remains a glaring weakness. I hope it isn't as NZ have always been my 2nd team and always will be but I'm amazed at the lack of an experienced quality 10. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Defensively Cruden isn't as strong as Slade or Carter, but then Australia play Cooper and spend all day having him trot and back and forth to full back to avoid his defensive frailty. That's an equally exploitable 9/10 channel weakness.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Yes ruby thats what happens when you have Carter for so long. Evans left for that reason and GG agreeing with you more and more.

Coopers going to be a target this week- crowd, black jerseys, kitchen sink and all...Deans will know this.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 pm

I think Cooper will love that attention and of course in Cooperesque fashion he will either be sublime or ridiculous, I can't believe the Nick Evans situation, what an attitude - They guys a decent player but what is that all about? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:26 pm

should be a great game. I fancy the Kiwi front 5 power and superior attacking ability (to South Africa) to see them through.

who know what to expect from crazy Quade. After all of the attritional dogfights it would be nice to see some attacking rugby and some trys.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:07 pm

The game is won up front. Compare the performances of Brisbane and Auckland. The latter saw a fired up AB pack bully Australia at the breakdown and create space for their backs. The Brisbane game saw them try to do the dazzle at the back without the platform up front. Only the last quarter saw a change in tactics and a better performance. I think it was an important lesson against Australia. We need to bully the Aussie pack and cut them off before the advantage line. Get Genia and Cooper with time and space and they make you look like idiots. Close them down and give them that fraction less time you can put pressure on them especially Cooper.

Australia have some game breakers. JOC is a class act and his age is probably an advantage. He just backs himself. Beale is back. But all their class in the backline will be for nothing if they can´t get enough ball up front. Tactics are the key and attitude at the breakdown. Pocock must not be allowed such free reign at the breakdown. He must be buried at the bottom of a ruck.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Brisbane be fair two of there first choice loosies off or injured after 15 minutes,that had an effect.A try scored thru the tackle of a one armed man,
trouble is they don`t adapt to what`s on the field of play.
Tightening up in the first half may have saved the game,by half time it was too late.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:36 pm

This game is made for McCaw, sore foot or not. Think this is his stage to deliver the champion performance his team needs. Kaino has been huge this year and was missed in Brisbane, whilst Read is back too and will be much better for the hitout against a physical Pumas side.

I expect (and want) all that hurt to come out, and for NZ to push Australia backwards to the extent that Cooper's vision will always have the sight of Richie running at him to break him in half. Genia needs to be tackled hard to keep him from getting to the next ruck quickly, and I agree with Kia that Pocock should be buried. That was the only way to negate Michael Jones. Keep the ball up off the deck and use our superior physicality to drive forward and negate their breakdown skills, and take every single point you can get.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down