The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shanghai

+20
banbrotam
eraldeen
The Special Juan
lydian
Danny_1982
Josiah Maiestas
Mad for Chelsea
teassoc
legendkillar
hawkeye
laverfan
time please
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
barrystar
mthierry
monty junior
wow
noleisthebest
Fedex_the_best
Tenez
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shanghai  Empty Shanghai

Post by Tenez Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:54 pm

Difficult to see Murray not retaining his title there. With 2 of the top 4 absent, I cannot see anyone troubling him. Nadal will have plenty in his hands with Nalbandian or Gulbis, Berdych, Ferrer. Tsonga could be a challenge for Murray.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Shanghai  Empty Re: Shanghai

Post by Fedex_the_best Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:01 pm

My pick is Berdych though. I thought he was fantastic at Beijing. He was playing well at Cinci, beating Fed and then serving for the set against Djoker before he unfortunately, got injured. Even against Fed, Berdych was injured but played through it and I must admit that I have not seen anyone taking apart Fed's second serve like how Berdych did that day in Cinci.

Berdych in Nadal's quarter. if Berdych could play like how he has been playing, I think only Murray, Delp Potro and Fed have enough weapons on a fast court to stop him. Let's see but I like Berdych and I was very happy to watch him play with such confidence.

BTW, Gulbis lost in two easy sets against Nalbandian. And I think, Murray will have nothing to worry from Tsonga. Cilic was also very impressive in Beijing, imho.

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:04 pm

I still think Murray is quite fragile, but this is a good opportunity for him to execute consistency and build on a bit of confidence. He'll need it in Paris and London.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

Also, if Murray and Nadal end up playing the final, I'll make an effort to see it, I'm sure it will be well worth it Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

Murray is on a roll. He looks eager and playing good tennis. He has also taken David Lloyd's advice of coming clean shaven and kempted for his on court appearances.
I am really pleased with his win over Rafa (monkey off the back now). I think Murray will win Shangai and the tour finals as well.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

It's good that he has a goal besides winning a slam, he has been the number four player for pretty much 3 years now and it's time to make the next step. This was a great event for him last year with it culminating in his best performance of the year in the final.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:41 pm

How quick though, are the Shanghai courts? I think Nadal has a great chance with the absence of Fed and Nole. I also rate Berdych very highly.

Murray is the form player on tour and I'd rate him as favourite but not by much.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

Murray's on a roll all right, and he's the favourite to defend Shanghai - he has a reasonable draw to the SF too.

I agree that Nadal's always got a good chance - he's in a tough quarter, but if he gets out of that that the prospective SF opponent looks manageable for him.

In terms of recent form and player motivation, the other tough quarter looks to be the one with Tsonga, Fish, and Cilic in it.

I'd like to see a Murray vs. Nadal or Murray vs. Berdych final.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:27 am

barrystar wrote:Murray's on a roll all right, and he's the favourite to defend Shanghai - he has a reasonable draw to the SF too.
On a Roll or not I can't say. He has won 2 tournaments but had to come through few tough matches where he could have lost. So this isn't exactly 'on a roll' thing. Also he has now playing into the 3rd consecutive week, it might be tiring both physically and mentally. He might also be overwhelmed with his win over Nadal, the win that came after 5 consecutive losses including 3 in Slams.

Murray is path upto semis will cross against Wawrinka in 3rd round. Wawrinka is struggling atm to win matches. Simon in the qtr, Simon plays almost identical to Murray, only less strong and less fit. But Can be a tough match for Murray, even can beat him. Semis Tsonga is a possibility, Tsonga is a dangerous opponent for any player based on which Tsonga turns up. I can't say for sure Murray will pass this test. In finals I assume if he meets Nadal or Berdych, I might give them an upper hand. Nadal will be wanting his revenge, his first HC title of 2011. Berdych is in good form and has lot of weapons to trouble Murray's game.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:35 am

In the last 22 matches Murray has lost once - the USO SF to Nadal. He has made heavy weather of some matches but with that one exception he's always found a way to win and now he's back defending one of his more prestigious titles. He's got a definite aim for the rest of the year and I'd say all told that's a respectable roll for anyone.

Of course, favourite does not equal dead cert, and there are plenty of potential banana skins - Murray is capable of losing to anyone on his day, like Fish did yesterday. I referred to Murray's draw to the SF acknowledging the difficulty of potential opponents there and in the F.

Murray has not really pushed on since 2008, every year since 2007 has involved a similar mixture of good wins, poor runs of form, and disappointing defeats. The end of this year is a good opportunity for him to put his foot to the pedal and take some better momentum into 2012 - I really hope for his sake he does it.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

Just back from holiday to see wonderful result by Murray in Tokyo - that is quite something to 'bagel' Rafa for the loss of just 4 points, especially after losing the first set.

barrystar wrote:Murray has not really pushed on since 2008, every year since 2007 has involved a similar mixture of good wins, poor runs of form, and disappointing defeats. The end of this year is a good opportunity for him to put his foot to the pedal and take some better momentum into 2012 - I really hope for his sake he does it.

Absolutely barry - let's hope he really bottles the feeling of Tokyo and takes that with him for the rest of this season, and on into next.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:33 pm

Fish out
Tsonga out
Cilic out

Funny old tournament so far

Berdych and Nadal now playing............
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

Rafa and Berdych win, and Murray has a walkover against Tursunov which hopefully will help with any tired legs after Sunday's heroics.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

Why is Delpo not playing Shanghai?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm

wow wrote:Why is Delpo not playing Shanghai?

Del Potro chose not to play Shanghai to focus on the DC final with Spain in December.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:21 pm

I didn't know he could choose to do that without incurring penalties laver?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm

Berdych is out too!

All the real tennis is played in spring and early summer.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm

time please wrote:I didn't know he could choose to do that without incurring penalties laver?

He will get a zero pointer.

http://twitter.com/#!/DavisCup/status/121570791937679360

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1388953&s=ten&type=story

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:57 am

Berdych is playing lopez tomorrow.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

Murray makes up for his W/O by letting Stan take him to 3 sets in a 2hr match and missing an earlier kill by winning the third 6-3 from 5-0 up. Ever the walkabout man.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:19 pm

Simon out and Nadal a set down to Mayer after losing a TB. If Nadal goes out the TD will no doubt be warming the ears of the ATP with only Murray Ferrer, and Berdych to sell as 'names' - even if Nadal wins after the QF tomorrow at least one of him and Berdych must be out come what may.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

Matthew Ebden is an upcoming player he did trouble Nadal at Queens earlier this year. The guy will break into top 100 soon.
Nadal's lack of variety is hurtin him in this match.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

wow wrote:Matthew Ebden is an upcoming player he did trouble Nadal at Queens earlier this year. The guy will break into top 100 soon.

He's already there with his points from Shanghai. He's 23 - it's interseting how 'upcoming' players are getting older than they used to be.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

Mayer has kept pace with Nadal. They have played some good shots, especially Nadal saving set points 1 and 2.

Beautiful volley to close the game. Good hold from 0-30 down by Mayer. BP on Nadal's serve. Edit: Mayer breaks. Two holds and Rafa is out. Sad

Ebden (a qualifier) in QF, 7-6(8) in third indicates a close match. Glad to see young blood. But sad for Tomic.

Dolgopolov is also a 'young' 22 by the same standards as Ebden.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

I like how Mayer has forced Nadal to be more aggressive than usual. He has made Nadal play slower and has dictated the pace.

This is a highly enjoyable match because it is a battle of wits and not will.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:55 pm

What a result for Mayer. An absolute smart game of tennis.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:55 pm

Mayer wins. Very well played by Mayer. thumbsup

Edit: Interesting stat, Nadal did not have a BP entire match.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:57 pm

Was there a mini-tank by Rafa to lose that last service game? He never normally gives up, but given that Mayer had struggled to break him all match two breaks in quick succession....
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:02 pm

To me it dispells the myth you need brawn to beat Nadal. Mayer after the first set looked flustered and come the end of the match looked fresh as a daisy. Strange how tennis works.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:52 pm

Will the last player left in Shanghai please turn off the lights...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

hawkeye wrote:Berdych is out too!

All the real tennis is played in spring and early summer.

Prophetic!

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

hawkeye wrote:Will the last player left in Shanghai please turn off the lights...

What happened to Paris and WTF? Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

I must say, it's usually Paris which turns into this sort of "last man standing" contest that we seem to be witnessing in Shanghai. It's been a quite remarkable day, with only Murray and Ferrer of the top eight seeds progressing, and coupled with defeats to Fish and Tsonga, we seem to have a very deplated looking QF line-up. Maybe the players do have a point about the schedule?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

The ATP does not want to screw around with the Asian swing, which is of course exactly what it looks like right now.

The TD must be pulling his hair out.

If Murray does not scalp an easy 1,000 points from what is turning into an ATP 500 tournament or even worse it's a major embarrassment for him.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

The crowds in Shanghai are pitiful. Stadium mostly empty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

there was a pretty good atmosphere in the Mayer-Nadal match I thought emancipator, but I agree that in general the stadium has been 3/4 empty and it must feel like being back on the Challenger circuit to these players. Should we cut out the Asian swing altogether (half the top 4 have anyway Wink)?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:51 am

I'm missing all the matches this week mad

Thanks for info about zero pointer laver - I just thought penalties might be more severe for top player missing a Masters just to concentrate on DC rather than citing tiredness or injury.

Crowds were dismal last year, I haven't seen any tennis this week, but if it is the same as 2010 it must be very depressing for all concerned.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:17 am

Dolgopolov one game away from being put out by Nishikori. Been some what of mixed bag by the Ukrainian. Nishikori has certainly played a solid match.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

Brilliant by Nishikori, and an expected 'following up syndrome' by Florian Mayer losing to Feli.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

Murray takes the first set. Ebden showing inexperience, still he is young and very much learning. Hoping Murray can now accelerate through this 2nd set.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

Murray looking pretty good. I must admit though, it makes me want to pull my hair out seeing the kind of tennis he can produce when uninhibited.

I think he may not only accelerate through this set, but the rest of the tournament.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:38 pm

Nishikori has always had the talent since that great showing when he was 18 at Wimbledon - great to maybe see it finally coming to fruition (bad injury spells aside)
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:39 pm

Murray saves a BP (with an ace) and holds with an ace. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

Decent point to win the match, but this was never going to be a challenge today. Nishikori on the other hand will be a harder task than his previous opponents.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

I think Murray will have too much guile for Kei.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri 14 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

Why does it always happen that the player who takes Nadal out loses in the next round?

Dodig and now Mayer.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:01 pm

wow wrote:Why does it always happen that the player who takes Nadal out loses in the next round?

Dodig and now Mayer.

Melzer did the same in 2010 in Shanghai, losing to Monaco. And repeated it at MC 2011 (losing to Ferrer after beating Federer). Something do to with the GOATness, perhaps? Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:26 pm

It happens in any sport, when a "little" guy beats one of the very best he can't seem to play well in the next round. It's certainly worth a documentary.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:45 am

I think its going to be straight forward for Murray to be in the final. Nishikori is playing his first masters semis causing the Tsonga Upset and even the win against Dolgo was little surprise to me. This must already be overwhelming for him. I expect too many errors from him and an easy win like 6-2 6-3 for Murray without Murray facing too many break points.

Dolgo is too hot and too cold at times. His game is very unsettled. He plays some jaw-dropping points and then misses some very regular ones. His 1st serve is good, but his technique is so flawed that he can hardly get the first serve % anything above 40-50%. Yesterday too till the mid of second set he was serving first serves at about 25%. Such players can cause an odd upset but can lose even against far easier opponents. unsettled talent is almost a wasted talent.

Murray's toughest opponent is going to be Ferrer if Ferrer gets past Lopez which I think he should. Can Murray pass that test. It looks likely, but I don't except aneasy win. A 3 setter with at least one very close set who ever wins in the end.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 15 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

Surprised that Ferrer has not tried a single lob shot so far against Lopez's net rushing.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next