The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Out Cricket's Discussion Of Week - England's Wicketkeepers

+7
Gregers
Mat
JDizzle
Hoggy_Bear
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
All Out Cricket
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

All Out Cricket's Discussion Of Week - England's Wicketkeepers - Page 2 Empty All Out Cricket's Discussion Of Week - England's Wicketkeepers

Post by All Out Cricket Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Evening all! Starting today, All Out Cricket will be posting a discussion every Monday based on an article from our shiny new website.

To kick things off we want to know what you think about England's wicketkeeping options. Who should have the gloves in Test/limited-overs cricket? Is there room for three keepers in the T20 side?

To read today's article, go to the All Out Cricket Website

All Out Cricket

Back to top Go down

All Out Cricket's Discussion Of Week - England's Wicketkeepers - Page 2 Empty Re: All Out Cricket's Discussion Of Week - England's Wicketkeepers

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:57 pm

KP has to play, for me, so maybe Trott depending on the conditions?

It is a good problem to have, nevertheless.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

All Out Cricket's Discussion Of Week - England's Wicketkeepers - Page 2 Empty Re: All Out Cricket's Discussion Of Week - England's Wicketkeepers

Post by JDizzle Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:59 pm

But KP is operating on reputation alone in the ODI game now. He hasn't done it in that form of the game for years! If it was anyone else, they would be gone by now so I think he really needs runs this series or he could make way for Morgan, or a Buttler.

On KP though, his Test form has been superb this last year. He averages 70.33 in the last 12 months, but has just been overshadowed by Bell, Cook and Trott. He actually averages more then Trott in the last year, so in tests he is still looking strong.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 pm

JDizzle wrote:Cook
Kieswetter
Trott
KP
Bairstow
Bopara
Patel

Then 4 bowlers?

Seems the obvious solution, for now at least.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Agreed on that one, that'd be a strong looking lineup, I feel.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
Kieswetter
Trott
KP
Bairstow
Bopara
Patel

Then 4 bowlers?

But when Morgan turns up?

It's a petty Bairstow cannot bowl. His keeping is apparently not great either, so Kieswetter's place could/should be safe.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 pm

On paper, it looks fairly formidable. If you assume are strongest four bowlers to be something like: Bresnan, Broad (when fit), Swann and Dernbach/Finn. That looks a decent ODI side.

Personally, I would play Morgan for Trott. With KP at 3 and Morgan at 4, but the selectors won't. I imagine that Bairstow will make way unless he is spectacular in India.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Stella wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:
Kieswetter
Trott
KP
Bairstow
Bopara
Patel

Then 4 bowlers?

But when Morgan turns up?

Then the selectors have some difficult decisions to make (assuming everyone performs well in this series). If they don't, Morgan comes in for whoever has failed, though that may cause some difficulty if it's Patel or Bopara with regard to bowling options.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Despite being a Warks fan, I'd probably agree with you Jdizzle and leave Trott out, but that could change depending on conditions.

If Bairstow continues in this form though then I'm more than happy to see him and Kieswetter operate in the same side. Hell, in a few years time we could end up with Buttler added into the mix too. As far as I'm concerned there is no problem with this providing they're all performing with the bat.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 pm

I would drop Patel and pick another bowler. With Bresnan, Broad, Swann at 7/8 you have enough batting.

Morgan comes in for Bairstow or Bopara depending on who plays the better in this series. I remain thoroughly unconvinced about Bopara at this level.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 pm

What's your take on the wicket-keeping situation, Mike?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:34 pm

i personally feel that buttler could keep in t20's at taunton they think that he is just as good as kieswetter with the gloves, but kieswetter is the senior man so he keeps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Prior in tests, Kieswetter in the rest (hasn't done much wrong).

If Kies doesn't perform in ODIs I'd have Davies next in the frame, but he won't be as he's not yappy enough, so failing that I'd go with Bairstow who looks the goods. Morgan would open the batting (crazy as it sounds, but it's a hunch of mine he'd do well there).

In T20s I'd have Buttler as back-up, but Bairstow looks quality as well, so not too fussed.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 am

Given Bairstow's recent hitting displays I'd probably be inclined to pick him as a batsman in the T20's anyway. In fact I'd have all three of our young keeper-batsmen in there, with Kies opening and Bairstow/Buttler coming in a bit further down the innings.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:38 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Given Bairstow's recent hitting displays I'd probably be inclined to pick him as a batsman in the T20's anyway. In fact I'd have all three of our young keeper-batsmen in there, with Kies opening and Bairstow/Buttler coming in a bit further down the innings.

I'd go along with that.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2