The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joel Tomkins to Saracens

+2
formerly known as Sam
Cumbrian
6 posters

Go down

Joel Tomkins to Saracens Empty Joel Tomkins to Saracens

Post by Cumbrian Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

I read rumours of this story about a week ago on some SL message boards, I dismissed it as fan rubbish but it seems like there is some truth in it. It is apparently a precursor to his brother Sam coming across too. It could be amazing news from a RU point of view if it proves true.

Elsewhere I've read rumours of a massed raid on on the Super League, it may seem fanciful, but with Eastmond and the Tompkins' coming across, RU is taking some of RL's best young talent. This could prove to be a worrying precedent for the SL clubs and I know many of my League friends are worried about the game.

Thoughts?

I don't expect there will be much sympathy among Welsh fans for the SL predicament.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_6475-tomkins-set-for-union-switch.html
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Joel Tomkins to Saracens Empty Re: Joel Tomkins to Saracens

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

There's always been movement between the codes and in the amatuer days it was common place for league clubs to go round to visit promising union players (particularly those up north and in Wales) with large piles of cash.

Now the union game continues to find large revenue streams and is able to tempt across young RL talent the favour is being repaid. It's not guarenteed these switches of code will work the talented full back Lee Smith never made it into the Wasps first team and he was a GB international before converting.

However it is believed that the 24-year-old is set to make a switch to rugby union and join the Saracens club on a deal which is reported to see his salary go from £80,000 to £400,000.

£400k?!?! That's a farcical amount. It may well be £400k over four seasons because I doubt very much Sarries would (or could afford) to drop a tenth of their budget on a player who isn't even going to be an immeadiate first team player. Me thinks a League fan has exagerrated those figures.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:49 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:There's always been movement between the codes and in the amatuer days it was common place for league clubs to go round to visit promising union players (particularly those up north and in Wales) with large piles of cash.

Now the union game continues to find large revenue streams and is able to tempt across young RL talent the favour is being repaid. It's not guarenteed these switches of code will work the talented full back Lee Smith never made it into the Wasps first team and he was a GB international before converting.

However it is believed that the 24-year-old is set to make a switch to rugby union and join the Saracens club on a deal which is reported to see his salary go from £80,000 to £400,000.

£400k?!?! That's a farcical amount. It may well be £400k over four seasons because I doubt very much Sarries would (or could afford) to drop a tenth of their budget on a player who isn't even going to be an immeadiate first team player. Me thinks a League fan has exagerrated those figures.

True and I'm not saying it will definitely work out, but in the past RL converts have been over the hill when they crossed. Now it seems RU is taking them when they are young e.g Chris Ashton (24), Kyle Eastmond (22), Joel Tomkins (24), Steven Myler (came over at 22) and Lee Smith (when he was 22/23). It is true to say that it may work out like Lee Smith, but it seems a more sensible policy that the RU clubs have adopted when they are targeting RL players.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:58 pm

Not to flog a dead horse, but how would these additions fit within the salary cap for teams that are purported to be already at or very close to it?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 11 Oct 2011, 2:26 pm

What position would he play?

Also where is Eastmond being penciled in for.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 11 Oct 2011, 2:45 pm

You know this all down to the Wigan connection don't you? Andy Farrell etc.

Saracens need a true proper outside centre.

I would prefer us to lure Conrad Smith next season because if New Zealand win the world cup he has reached the zenith or alternatively Jacque Fourie. He fits the bill as a South African.

Richard Kahui wouldn't be a bad signing either.

There will be room in the salary cap because of the marquee signing next season.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

Powell is a decent outside centre, seems to have slipped out of the reckoning after his injury though, has he failed to reach the heights of his pre-injury form?

That's one hell of a list of targets Beshocked. I would have thought Sarries would have looked to replace Gill long term with the extension to the salary cap?

Not to flog a dead horse, but how would these additions fit within the salary cap for teams that are purported to be already at or very close to it?.

If he signs for next season (which seems more likely) then he will come in at the same time as the 'star player' rule which allows one marquee player to be excluded from the salary cap and hence raise that clubs salary cap by the amount of that contract. Some clubs like for instance Tigers can't afford another massive contract and so will name Castro as their 'star player' and so gain another £300k+ to their salary cap.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 11 Oct 2011, 3:07 pm

Sam bit tongue in cheek.

Adam Powell has lost a bit of form (he has been injured for a year so understandable) and also not sure he is a true outside centre.

I can't say I have an inside track into Saracen's recruitment! Same as I don't know what the salary situation. I am sure a lot of people would like to know both.

I thought I read somewhere that you can't name an existing player as your star player.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Oct 2011, 3:38 pm

I thought I read somewhere that you can't name an existing player as your star player..

Hmm that's interesting as the local paper the Leicester Mercury who generally have the low down on all Tigers news were reporting that Castro would be listed as the marqee signing in order to open up wage budget to allow the renewal of contracts for the likes of Cole, Twelvetrees and Ayerza as well as a one year extension for Salvi who is currently medical cover. The last 'big' external signing Tigers made was Mauger and he ended up being a better coach than player so it's rumoured (not by the Mercury this time) that the board aren't keen to chase big names from the RWC again they would prefer to maintain the strength of the squad.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

Well hopefully Twelvetrees will walk out of Tigers this summer and into a side who will make him first choice 12, so maybe you don't need to worry about him.

Joel Thomkins is apparently being lined up as an OC, which Sarries probably need (is Farrell really being played there?). The big prize though is Sam Tomkins, who is apparently seriously gifted. Having said that, it would be a shame if Union pinched all the young best league stars in the backs, although of course league have form there.

As for Eastmond, I'd expect him to start on the wing, and then be moved to FB (given Abendanon's limitations). It's not totally impossible he'd move on to FH, but with Donald, Vesty and Heathcote there I'd now be surprised.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:12 am

Well hopefully Twelvetrees will walk out of Tigers this summer and into a side who will make him first choice 12, so maybe you don't need to worry about him

I hope he doesn't his improvements have been on a steady curve since he joined the team and his progression within the squad selection is looking very much like he is now 3rd choice and could well take over from Allen. Would much prefer him to sign a three year deal and stay at a club where competition will force him to improve.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:40 pm

I think the only way he'll take over from Allen is if Cockerill leaves.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:11 am

Cockerill does allow a fair bit of competition and the shirts do change hands but he does require players to be consistent which is where Twelvetrees has tended to struggle. One week he'll be the best IC in the AP and the next week he can be quite average and lose concentration. He's getting over that but it's taken a while. Allen, however, performed well every game last season but has been a bit out of sorts so far this season, injury hasn't helped. People overlook just how good Allen was last season, he was the players player (which says a lot) and was a key figure in much of what we did well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:21 am

Sam Allen didn't perform well in every game. Whistle

Agree he is a good consistent performer for you though.

DaveM which club do you support? You seem desperate to get hold of Twelvetrees.

I personally see Twelvetrees as hugely overrated for what he has actually done and Anthony Allen in comparison largley underrated.

If the Tomkins bros come then great if not that's fine too. Agree with you Sam that if they do come it will probably be £400,000 over 3 years not a year!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

There's no chance Sarries would offer £400k a year it would just be a farcical amount of money and make him the highest paid player in the league. Considering the article seems to suggest his salary was only £80k in league Sarries could have comfortabley beaten that without breaking the bank with a silly amount like £400k.

Allen did perform well in pretty much every game last season His ten minute spell at scrum half aside obviously but this season he hasn't started so well. He might not be someone that sets the world alight but he makes yards and organises the team very well defensively. Where as Twelvetrees shows flashes of brilliance which excites everyone because if he could conjure those flashes consistently he would be a world class player rather than a good player with potential.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down