The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What hope has Tangoman got of getting back in the squad?

+14
TBJ9625
Irish Londoner
mckay1402
wonder_man
RubyGuby
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
bedfordwelsh
Pot Noodle Miner
gavstar
Shifty
Gatts
maestegmafia
senghenydd1913
Taffineastbourne
18 posters

Go down

What hope has Tangoman got of getting back in the squad? Empty What hope has Tangoman got of getting back in the squad?

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:23 pm

In hindsight Henson's injury appears to have been a blessing in disguise.JD2 and Williams have blossomed .Would this have happened if the Orange one had made the trip?
Will Gav get himself a club and fight his way back into the reckoning or will he drift away to more obscure satellite chennels?
On a personal level I would love to see him join the Dragons and display a new mature Henson that Gatland was forced to select following repeated outstanding performances.I can dream!!!!!!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

What hope has Tangoman got of getting back in the squad? Empty Re: What hope has Tangoman got of getting back in the squad?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Wouldnt hurt to have him return to form for the sake of squad depth, but cant see it happening, I think his latest injury is a serious psychological blow that I cant see him recovering from.

Back to top Go down

What hope has Tangoman got of getting back in the squad? Empty Re: What hope has Tangoman got of getting back in the squad?

Post by senghenydd1913 Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:05 pm

alas none-we have moved on and so should he.
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Looked great vs England until injury struck.

Let's see how he goes. Can't see why you disgard a talented player if he is playing well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 pm

IronMike wrote:Wouldnt hurt to have him return to form for the sake of squad depth, but cant see it happening, I think his latest injury is a serious psychological blow that I cant see him recovering from.

I agree, and that is a terrible shame because he still has it.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I fear that he will walk away from the game and he and we will never know what might have been.This would be a sad waste.Not sure if he has a manager/advisor.If he has,Gav isnt listening or is getting some duff advice.Wales are on the dawn of a bronze/golden era and he could be part of it if he applied himself/Does he want it?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:37 pm

He played well in the England game so the talent is still there, however the fact that there has been NO information with regards to him signing for any club is worrying for his career.

It appears though Scott Johnson got his way at the Ospreys and he wont be signed, but his 6 week injury time is over now and he should be fit, yet still nothing on him joining any team.

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Alyn,I agree he showed glimpses against England.He seems very fragile on many levels as do many sporting heroes.Given a quality manager he may yet turn things around.Are there any quality managers around????
Or will he take the soft option?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 pm

AS talented as we all know he is, hes just too brittle for international rugby, he mustve felt so low finding out about the broken arm when he was making his comeback, I feel sorry for the guy but, 33 caps over the space of 10 years?
I think we should probably focus on new talent such as Scott Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 pm

I was hoping he would go back to the Ospreys, didn't realise it's not on now,haven't heard either way.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:42 pm

thought the Ospreys may have taken him back as they've lost alot of players from last season but you cant really blame them as he messed them about in the past and when they told him they'd let him back only if he makes them his number 1 priority with reality tv programmes etc. a far behind 2nd he clearly didnt want it enough

he would be 3rd/4th choice centre at the Blues and Scarlets and may even find it difficult to get into the Dragons back-line but we're half way through october now and he has'nt signed for anyone, he may well fade off and never play again who knows...
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:08 pm

IMO he has the same chance as he had before the squad - NONE.

Has he even got a team yet for next season?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Best chance he has is a payday in Japan, keep his head down a bit, come back in a couple of years when Wales are back in crisis and save the Ospreys.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Bob and No thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:In hindsight Henson's injury appears to have been a blessing in disguise.JD2 and Williams have blossomed .Would this have happened if the Orange one had made the trip?
Will Gav get himself a club and fight his way back into the reckoning or will he drift away to more obscure satellite chennels?
On a personal level I would love to see him join the Dragons and display a new mature Henson that Gatland was forced to select following repeated outstanding performances.I can dream!!!!!!!

+1, bt you might have said the same about Wales getting to the semis! keep dreaming i say!!!

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 pm

I think the fact that Wales don't look like they're missing him at all says all you need to know about how well they're doing.

Plenty of options at centre/10/full back for Wales. Who would have said that even six months ago?

(Slightly envious England fan)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Best chance he has is a payday in Japan.
That's pretty reasonable actually, though I think half the reason about him causing so much trouble is to be closer to his kids, and Japan is a distance from them. Though it is worth noting, he left the Ospreys to go to London to be closer to his kids, and Charlotte promptly moved back to Wales, so he went to France, now wants to come back to Wales, so assuming he signs for a Japanease club, then Charlotte can move back to London and everyone is happy... Erm
Hang on... Headscratch
Ok I give up... steam
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 pm

none whatsoever. Very much doubt he'll play again
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:02 pm

He'll never pick up a rugby ball again unless it's for a photoshoot to remind people what he actually got famous for....expect to see him on a Cardiff based version of the only way is Essex in a few months.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:03 pm

cuddy still hasn't given up on signing him just yet
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:02 am

I think gav will still get back in at the ospreys. I have always been a huge fan .
he left the ospreys without a salary ( could have gone 'on the sick' ) he said he wasnt 100% fit to play and didnt want to take money when he wasnt playing---this has been reported, but not often enough in the press, who have always wanted a story to rumble on .

I don't blame him making any money he can whichever way---he hasnt done his tv work whilst he's fully involved in the first team of any club.

good luck to the guy, I reckon he was one of the most innovative, forward thinkers in the development of the game in defence and playmaking in the centre. he wanted to change the 'old guard ' in the Welsh team years ago-----but then he was outnumbered. With this new breed he would be awsome.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:41 am

The first rugby player destroyed by celebrity (Cipriano the second). Worried that what awaits him now is a Gazza-type slide into oblivion.

Or does he have the character to suck it up and play professional rugby professionally for the next few years and work his way back into contention?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:47 am

samuraidragon wrote:The first rugby player destroyed by celebrity (Cipriano the second). Worried that what awaits him now is a Gazza-type slide into oblivion.

Or does he have the character to suck it up and play professional rugby professionally for the next few years and work his way back into contention?

I am not sure he wants it enough to go through more injury, the poor fecker has had his fair share and at key moments in his career, but he won 2 slams, is still young enough to play for Wales and definitely good enough

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 am

Alas, I fear we might not see him again - although that is pure speculation on my behalf. Spent many a year defending the guy, but he's not left me much to work with any more. I got the feeling that he was trying to get back into the game to fulfil an ambition of playing at a world cup, now that opportunity seems to be gone, I'm not sure what his motivation will be. I hope he can return and finish his career the way he started it, with great skill and ability, all about the rugby.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:55 am

The season has already started. The Ospreys seem to be going well, with young guns like Biggar and Webb out to show what they can do. Matthew Rees is ready to start for the Scarlets. Meanwhile, GH doesn't even have a club... He's going to have to get a move on if he wants to even be in the frame for the 6N,

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:01 am

AlynDavies wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Best chance he has is a payday in Japan.
That's pretty reasonable actually, though I think half the reason about him causing so much trouble is to be closer to his kids, and Japan is a distance from them. Though it is worth noting, he left the Ospreys to go to London to be closer to his kids, and Charlotte promptly moved back to Wales, so he went to France, now wants to come back to Wales, so assuming he signs for a Japanease club, then Charlotte can move back to London and everyone is happy... Erm
Hang on... Headscratch
Ok I give up... steam

No club in Britain is going to pay him the kind of weages he'd need to make it worth his whiokle sticking with rugby. He could make more money by sleeping with Jordan.
No doubt the CSA are chasing him to help keep former arse of the year in coke chocolate and he has certain lifestyle expectations now, like first class trains to wee in..that doesnt come cheap. Rugby hasd hardly treated him well, I wouldnt blame him for walking away if Take A Break magazine still wants him for the front cover.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by kultschar Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Like it or not I just can't see him sticking with rugby now that his WC dream is over and 2015 mission impossible by that stage. He seems to want to desperately play for Wales but not club level rugby

I imagine, regardless of the cheesiness of his TV stunts it gives him money that he will never get from Rugby.

I dont dislike the guy, wish him the best but I don't think his body is up for the game anymore and after this World Cup i cannot see how he can remotely get near making the squad with these youngsters with little to no baggage!

kultschar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 pm

He played OK in a strong Welsh 15 against a largely second choice England 15. And don't forget Wales comeback late in the game was without Gav.

Henson is big, strong, fast, and illusive. He can tackle and kick a ball. Unfortuately the top 6 inches is missing, pity he wasn't a prop like his dad!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down