The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins: Modern Boxings Best Value Underdog?

+5
paperbag_puncher
AlexHuckerby
Scottrf
captain carrantuohil
manos de piedra
9 posters

Go down

Hopkins: Modern Boxings Best Value Underdog? Empty Hopkins: Modern Boxings Best Value Underdog?

Post by manos de piedra Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:04 am

With Hopkins facing Dawson this weekend he is yet again, an underdog in the fight. It got me thinking has there ever been a fighter as highly rated as Hopkins that has been so consistent an underdog in big fights in his career? Hopkins has been underdog in the following (losing two):

Pascal x 2
Pavlik
Calzaghe
Tarver
Trinidad
Jones

In his biggest fights he has only really been favourite over Taylor and Wright - one could argue Joppy and Holmes aswell perhaps.

Has there been anyone else that has been so successful whilst wearing the underdog label as often?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Hopkins: Modern Boxings Best Value Underdog? Empty Re: Hopkins: Modern Boxings Best Value Underdog?

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:26 am

Probably no better than even money to beat de la Hoya, as well. Good point, manos; I think that Hopkins has been consistently undervalued throughout his career. Ironically, now he's aged 46, he's an almost unbackable favourite to beat a light-heavy some fifteen years younger than him!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Hopkins: Modern Boxings Best Value Underdog? Empty Re: Hopkins: Modern Boxings Best Value Underdog?

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:43 am

Well, I had assumed he was an unbackable favourite to beat Dawson! Apparently, he's a marginal underdog with most bookies once again. 10/11 is the best price I've seen, which starts to look like respectable value, if you ask me.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:48 am

Yeah I made some decent money in his last fight vs Pascal. Can't back him in this one though. Think it might be a close difficult to score fight, and the odds seem about right. If Dawson stays switched on I think he can win.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 13 Oct 2011, 10:03 am

In truth there aren't many, thinking about sticking a bit on him for a UD on Saturday.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:05 pm

Agree with the OP. Hopkins has been good value to back the last few years. It will be close this weekend again but not sure if Dawson's the man to derail Hopkins.. Would have hoped to get better than 11/10 for a 46 year old but still backable..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:45 pm

Hopkins age will show in this fight, mark my words!

*cut and paste from every pre fight prediction thread since he beat Trinidad*

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:27 pm

Dawson is all wrong for Hopkins.

Enjoy watching Hopkins tonight as I feel it will be the last we see of him. I think it will take all of B-hops ring smarts to last the full twelve, wouldn't be surprised to see nazeem pull him out if things aren't going too good.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm

Bob wrote:Hopkins age will show in this fight, mark my words!

*cut and paste from every pre fight prediction thread since he beat Trinidad*

I'm with Bob here.Backed Bhop last time against my better judgement and will do so again

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Sun 16 Oct 2011, 5:46 am

Hopkins faked it.

Dawson would have beat him easy, Hopkins knew it.

That's the first time I've been impressed with Dawson, looked strong and sharp.

What a let down, set the alarm for that. Should hold Hopkins' purse. Faker

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down