The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tigers vs Scarlets

+7
BuzzScarlet
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Welshmushroom
propdavid_london
Smirnoffpriest
ScarletSpiderman
formerly known as Sam
11 posters

Go down

Tigers vs Scarlets Empty Tigers vs Scarlets

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:29 pm

Leicester Tigers (v Scarlets, Parc Y Scarlets, Friday 7.45pm)
15 Niall Morris
14 Ed Rolston
13 Andy Forsyth
12 Andy Symons
11 Alex Lewington
10 George Ford
9 Sam Harrison
1 Jonny Harris
2 Rob Hawkins
3 Ryan Bower
4 Graham Kitchener
5 Geoff Parling (c)
6 Ben Pienaar
7 Tom Armes
8 Ed Slater

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Peter Bucknall
18 Fraser Balmain
19 George Skivington
20 Richard De Carpentier
21 James Grindal
22 Jeremy Staunton
23 Dante Mama

Scarlets: 15 Daniel Evans, 14 Liam Williams, 13 Rhodri Gomer Davies, 12 Adam Warren, 11 Dale Ford, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Ruki Tipuna, 1 Phil John, 2 Kirby Myhill, 3 Rhodri Jones, 4 Dominic Day 5 Damian Welch 6 Matt Gilbert, 7 Johnathan Edwards, 8 Kieran Murphy.
Replacements: 16 Simon Gardner, 17 Craig Hawkins, 18 Peter Edwards, 19 Sione Timani, 20 Richie Pugh, 21 Aled Davies, 22 Jordan Williams, 23 Lee Rees

A very youthful side from Tigers with a couple of Loughborough Uni boys in Rolston and Mama not sure who Symons is?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Tigers vs Scarlets Empty Re: Tigers vs Scarlets

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

The Scarlets are not far off full strength (ignoring the RWC players), i believe most of that starting XV have played in the RP12 this season, and the bench is pretty decent too. Looking forward to seeing Sione Timani in his first Scarlets appearance too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

who are Matt Gilbert and Kieran Murphy for the Scarlets?! Never heard of them Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:58 pm

The games on Sat - In was going to go down if it was Friday - but either it's been changed to Sat or it was mis advertised as Friday.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:10 pm

Gilbert is from Llanelli RFC, seems pretty decent the bits that I have seen of him (he has played for us pre-season), but I am not too sure about Murphy.

According to the website

Mathew Gilbert: Despite being born in Sidcup, Matt spent most of his childhood on the move due to his father's role in the Army. He began playing rugby at Bilton Grange Prep School for the under 7s team and progressed from there to Dover U12s. Before joining Llanelli RFC in 2010 Mat had also played for Hartpury College RFC and Alyhero in Italy. Mathew attended Duke of York's Royal Military School, Dover and went on to study BsC Coaching and Conditioning and a Postgrad in Coaching Science. Mat has also represented England Deaf Rugby Union. Mat played his debut for Llanelli on 28th August 2010 and has scored 10 tries for the club side since joining in 2010. Age 26, 6'3".

Kieran Murphy: Aberdeen born Murphy first played rugby at the age of 7 for South Gower's Under 8s team after moving with the family to Swansea. Before joining the Scarlets in June 2011 Kieran attended Bishopston Comprehensive Swansea and Birmingham University. He's also played at number eight for Mumbles, Veseyans RFC (West Midlands) and Llandovery RFC. Kieran has scored 4 tries for llandovery in 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons. Aged 23, 6'4".
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

So Spiderman who are your ones to watch?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

This may be a very stupid question but how could he play for the England Deaf Rugby team if he's not deaf - and if he is deaf then I'm amazed he's adapted well enough to play at a professional level. (and you think they'd mention it in the biog above)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

He could be hard of hearing without being completely deaf. I would assume that the deaf team is made up of people with a range of hearing problems rather than all being completely deaf.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:43 pm

I suppose that's true, but either way it's impressive he's made it into a professional team as you don't hear (sorry no pun intended) of that happening very often

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

Smirnoff - I believe that you are allowed a limited amount of abled people in teams like that (on or two i believe).

Sam - Adam Warren (centre) had a good first full match last weekend, scored two tries. Jon Edwards (openside) is a very good player, but a bit prone to silly infringements and yellow cards. Gomer-Davies (centre) is one to watch if you want a laugh, I really am not a fan what so ever.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

Tigers are rolling out the kids then - I dont recognise many of the names on that list.

If Scarlets are picking a 'not far off' 1st team then there could be another cricket score on the cards for Leicester!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

It is a concern David, Tigers have selected a very inexperienced pack but one that is big and mobile so it will be interesting to see how they go as both props are England under 20 internationals. Harrison and Ford (more England under 20s) will keep the team moving as well but both are fairly diminutive so quality flankers may target them both are quick and skill full though. Plenty of speed in the backs but they won't have played together much so defensive lapses could be on the cards.

Keep an eye out for Armes the openside he is a prospect and a decent ball carrier given the opportunity. De Carpienter on the bench is a former England 7s international so will bring pace and power to the backrow if he gets on, though it is his first year as a pro, he was part of England Students last season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:31 pm

Well I think Leicester might struggle in the front 8. Scarlets look like Nigel is picking a good balance of youth and experience in his side so I would expect them to cruise this one.

Hope Jordan Williams comes off the bench and its going to be interesting to see how Timani goes if he comes off the bench. Adam Warren's man of the match display last week was good and he seems like he has a fair bit of gas.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:45 pm

It's going to be interesting to see how Jordan goes if he comes off the bench. I hope our forwards pull their socks up.

Does anyone know whats happened to Newton and Lee Williams are they just rested or have they been injured? as it seems strange to have Ford on the wing.

Warren did very well, lets hope he makes up for the handicap of Gomer

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

Didn't Lee Williams fracture his jaw in a match a couple of weeks ago? Something like that anyway. And I'd imagine Newton is being rested (or at least I hope he's not injured!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:11 pm

Ahh yeah I forgot about that - is it defiantely a fracture? I think I purposely forgot about that as its depressing news as he's one of our best backs at the moment.

I can't wait for Manu, Rees and Lamont to come back for us hopefully that will turn the tide and get our scrum firing

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:13 pm

I'm not sure exactly what the injury was if I'm honest Smirnoff, it's all gone a bit quiet on that front. Will see if I can find anything out about it later, hopefully it's nothing too serious though.

I reckon those three players will make a big difference, even if it's just down to leadership on the field. And we've missed someone of Monty's size in our backline for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:26 pm

Yup it will definately be nice to see Lamont charging through the middle again. It's promising that he looked like one of Scotlands best players as well, and I can't imagine what mood Rees is going to be in after missing the WC, I reckon he's going to be really fired up! (at least I hope)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:50 am

propdavid_london wrote:Tigers are rolling out the kids then - I dont recognise many of the names on that list.

If Scarlets are picking a 'not far off' 1st team then there could be another cricket score on the cards for Leicester!

I hope youre not suggesting that the zimbabwean under 20's side is rubbish

Scarlets should win this.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Hey dreamer and smirnoff, Lee Williams has a fractured/broken cheekbone, had an op, out for 6 weeks. Crying or Very sad

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Is the game being broadcast anywhere?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

Yup on S4C so don't know if you can pick that up from over the border. Cheers BuzzScarlet

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

God this is cheering me up

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:42 pm

Great play by Scarlets backrow 17-3 at halftime

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:56 pm

well it was supposed to be on S4C but they seem to have put the ospreys game on instead - how are you watching it maesteg?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:57 pm

Sky sports hd3

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:01 pm

ahh I see - unfortunately I'm not on good terms with Rupert Murdoch, I'm a Branson man myself so am at the mercy of BBC and S4C, damn

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:19 pm

Great game still winning 17-3

Some great youngsters at Scarlets this year.

The future looks bright...!

Talking of Murdock I received a joke text the other day from a blocked sender. ( I know it was a mate) which said

Dear...!

Sorry for hacking your phone

Best wishes RM

Very funny I thought

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:20 pm

And another try by young winger Liam Williams. Beautiful play.

24-3 to the scarlets

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:35 pm

Hows jordan wills playin?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

Awesome...! Great solo try at the end.

Kicks like a mule on angel dust

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 15 Oct 2011, 9:20 pm

I had a really weird day, I missed the World Cup semi final, but got home to catch the last 2-3 minutes.
then my partner demanded I take her shopping to HMV next to Parc Y Scarlets, then I got home and raced to the Dragons Vs Bath game, and just got there in time!
After the game I raced back down the M4 for the Scarlets Vs Tigers game!

So I missed the big one but managed to see the others, I thought the Dragons were shocking they werent up for it at all and seemed scared of the Bath pack, who did to be fair look like monsters in comparison. Though fronting up in the tackles does help and the Dragons really do to seem to need to practice that!
There was one horrific incident where one young Bath player must of been on the ground for 15 minutes with a shocking neck injury. He took a tackle, then the referee blew a penalty, then as the Bath player tries to get up his body sort of locked and he keeled over head first and was in a squatting position with his head against the floor, it looked terrible, there were medical people everywhere, I hope he's ok but it looked horific.

I thought the Scarlets game was good though, 4 nice tries and at least the Scarlets youngsters are looking far better than the Leicester academy lads.

I'm glad the Scarlets won, at least something went right today!

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

Well that was depressing, knock ons and poor passes aplenty. Still no idea who Symons is but I doubt it matters he can be safely released as keeping a centre who can seemingly not pass or tackle is a waste. Disappointed in Forsyth as well as just the general play, there was no cohesion in defence and to much badly executed champagne rugby which was never going to work in the conditions and was attempted in the wrong areas of the pitch (offloads remove supporting players and so unless there's an obvious gap just put your team under pressure).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

That game was a tonic. Just what I needed. Watching the Scarlets as if in a timewarp. Robust, mobile forwards and attacking pacey backs.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down