The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Calzaghe had lost to Hopkins...?

+7
hogey
Waingro
cave_man_KO
Seanusarrilius
Sugar Boy Sweetie
manos de piedra
ThrowingLeather
11 posters

Go down

If Calzaghe had lost to Hopkins...? Empty If Calzaghe had lost to Hopkins...?

Post by ThrowingLeather Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

Joe picked up a split decision win in his encounter with Bhop, so it's fair to say it was a close fight. Now, Im not here to debate if Calzaghe deserved the win or not...we'll save that for another time.

What Im interested in is how Joe's career may have ended differently if he'd lost that fight ?

Personally I think Calzaghe, towards the end of his career, was more focused on protecting his Zero and hence he left the game with possibly more to give.

I also think Calzaghe, to an extent, was a wasted talent in that he was probably much better than the opposition he'd faced.

If Calzaghe had lost the Hopkins fight do we think he would have gone out with a whimper like David Haye or gone wild trying to redeem himself finally free of the fear of loss?

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

If Calzaghe had lost to Hopkins...? Empty Re: If Calzaghe had lost to Hopkins...?

Post by manos de piedra Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

If he lost a split decision then Id say a rematch could have happened or else a return to SMW to face Pavlik.

If he lost convincingly to Hopkins then retirement may have been his only real option.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

If Calzaghe had lost to Hopkins...? Empty Re: If Calzaghe had lost to Hopkins...?

Post by ThrowingLeather Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:54 pm

I have the feeling that a lost split decision to Bhop may have been the best think to happen to Calzaghe.

As you said there would certainly be a rematch clause and we may have even seen him around to take on Froch.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:00 pm

I think the end of JC's career was about making as much cash as possible as much as protecting the '0'. If he lost the Hopkins fight but the RJJ fight was still offered I imagine he would still have taken it. Pavlik or Froch were both options but they weren't the mega money fights JC was looking for at this time. A return with B-Hop would probably be the most likely other scenario.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:09 pm

i agree with sugar, Calzaghe needed to make a couple big cash out fights to retire on which he deserved, if he had lost then still would have had RJJ and retirment, he very nearly did lose tbh and no one was calling for a rematch because the styles made the Bhop fight a stinker. Calzaghe had fallen out of love with it by then anyway he was past his prime and i think he wanted to retire anway, which is fine.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:55 pm

I dont think the Jones fight would have been viable after the Hopkins loss really. Most likely it would have been Hopkins v Jones II if anything.

Also Pavlik was a bigger name back then than I think is credited. Certainly far far bigger than Froch. He was favourite to beat Hopkins and having beaten Taylor twice was considered something of a star in the U.S. I think its a great pity Calzaghe never took this fight. He could have still had Jones after, who wasnt going anywhere as we know.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm

Hello

Very Happy

Decided to settle here for a while.

Unfortunately Union ruined the boxing adverts thread.

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

Hello

Very Happy

eerie silence in here chin

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

Looking back, I think its fair to say pavlik was like a bad jeff lacy...in that he was all hype. I said at the time and i'll say it now he was a limited fighter at a weight he was too big for.

I think Joe would have embarrassed him in a similar fashion to lacy.

as much as I used to give froch stick for constantly calling joe out, that would have been a great fight. I'd stick with joe to take a close fight but a wide decision as I ust see him benig busier in every round.

I think Joe knew he was nearing the end with Hopkins, and was just out to top up his money with big fights. If he lost to hopkins I think he would have walked away.

Is it just me or does the longer hopkins continue to be at the top of the tree, the more impressive joe's victory was.

Joe was clear winner for me, the only thing hopkins had going for him was his spoiler tactics, if he fought clean joe was boxing rings around him

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:12 pm

Lacy was overrated imo

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 15 Oct 2011, 9:45 pm

I thought he did lose it, for my money he was a very lucky boy that night.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

He might have taken a few riskier fights?

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 16 Oct 2011, 1:16 am

Waingro wrote:Lacy was overrated imo
8thank god youre here

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Sun 16 Oct 2011, 12:55 pm

all pretty pointless really, what if Roger Bannister hadnt ran under 4 mins? What if Spitz hadnt won 7 golds? Thats the whole point of sporting achievement, they did do it, its in the record books and no one can take it away from them

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 12:56 pm

You're Welsh aren't you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down