The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can The Republic of Ireland Finally Make It?

+3
sodhat
JDandfries
legendkillar
7 posters

Go down

Can The Republic of Ireland Finally Make It? Empty Can The Republic of Ireland Finally Make It?

Post by legendkillar Fri 14 Oct - 14:54

November 18th 2009 has long lived in the memory of many Irish folk. I watched that fateful match between Ireland and France. I remember it like it was yesterday. Ireland had got themselves back into the tie. Robbie Keane's first half goal had hauled Ireland on to the brink of World Cup qualification, extra time loomed and Ireland had the better of France. France by all counts were down and out. Not up for the spirited fight from the Irish. Then came the fateful moment that turned the match on it's head. Henry with the help of his hand controlled the ball and crossed to Gallas who scored the winning the goal. The Irish has to listen to the English bemoan football crime when Maradona in 1986 who showed Shilton how to punch a ball. The Irish had now felt the brunt of football crime. 2 years on and now Ireland are on the brink. No cheating Henry standing in the way. Ireland were seeded and got on paper is the best possible draw against lowly Estonia. Many failed campaigns under Kerr and Staunton left me even wondering is Ireland could repeat the herorics of 2002 again.

Ireland did the correct thing when hiring Trapattoni. Someone with experience. Someone that can bring the best from a group of players in the international scene. Scotland and Wales and even Northern Ireland might generate some success as the Irish are experiencing under Trapattoni. Can Ireland now overcome one more hurdle to see them back in the Major International Tournament scene? I really hope so.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Can The Republic of Ireland Finally Make It? Empty Re: Can The Republic of Ireland Finally Make It?

Post by JDandfries Fri 14 Oct - 15:13

No

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Can The Republic of Ireland Finally Make It? Empty Re: Can The Republic of Ireland Finally Make It?

Post by sodhat Fri 14 Oct - 15:22

I think you have an excellent chance to make it, and I hope you do.

Trappatoni is an excellent coach and I expect he'll be preparing extensively for the challenge ahead. It won't be easy, there are very few easy games in European qualification nowadays, but the draw was as favourable as it could have been.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 14 Oct - 18:40

[strike]I expect[/strike] I [b]demand[/b] that we qualify for Euro 2012, the team is good enough, the manger seems to think what he is doing (Though at times it seems he doesn't) and Estonis are not exactly world beaters now are there. It will be by no means easy but we should win this tie. After that it depends what draw we get in the main competition, if one of the hosts are in our group and depending on the 2nd seed we should do well, not saying much more after that though ghost
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 14 Oct - 18:48

I'm going for us to win 3-2 on agg

1-1 away.
2-1 home.

Think it'll be that tight.

C'mon Ireland, its been way to long now.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct - 18:57

I hope so. Love to see the Irish there and expect to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 14 Oct - 19:00

I just looked at the seeding for the euros and this is a possible group of death: Spain, Germany, Russia, France Shocked
Ireland are in pot 4 so we could get the first three of them I think (Not sure about Russia)
Likewise we could get this which we could qualify from: Poland, England/Croatia, Greece, Ireland.

Hoping for the latter!!
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 14 Oct - 20:30

I think Ireland have a great chance. Can't see Estonia putting 2 past them. It would be good to see another British representative at a Major Tournament.

Ireland will be a side that most teams would want to avoid in the group stages. I think defensively are a tough team to break down.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 14 Oct - 21:14

I would have disagree most teams will want us imo we will easily be the worst team in the competition outside the hosts, the winners of Czech Republic and Montenegro in their eyes. We can just hope they underestimate us if we get there and get a soft draw. We can get out of the group unless we get the group of Death and even then the home support would not support Germany or Russia. Hopefully the Poles will support us anyway as a result of a large number of their people having lived in Ireland in the last 5 years and the fact we will be underdogs which will also help keep the pressure off the team and not set a repeat of what the rugby team did at the Rugby World Cup.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct - 16:05

you would fully expect ireland to beat estonia convincgly, if they cant, then that's highly emabrassing lol

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Sun 6 Nov - 21:22

legendkillar wrote:I think Ireland have a great chance. Can't see Estonia putting 2 past them. It would be good to see another British representative at a Major Tournament.

Ireland will be a side that most teams would want to avoid in the group stages. I think defensively are a tough team to break down.

Ireland are not part of Britain/UK.Northern Ireland are.

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 7 Nov - 18:16

Ireland will never have a better chance, over two legs they really should beat Estonia, they aren't mugs though, they've been improving for a while now but still, Ireland must go through here

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down