The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorry to bring it up again.

+5
Huwball
Glas a du
OzT
Biltong
Looseheaded
9 posters

Go down

Sorry to bring it up again. Empty Sorry to bring it up again.

Post by Looseheaded Sun 16 Oct - 23:51

I know I know, we all want to just forget this whole Sam Warburton fiasco, but please, give me a chance here. My question is do you feel there may be repercussions in how referees view dump tackles from here on? I only say so because during a tournament today, whilst watching a different game during our break, a player was yellow carded for what was a very very good tackle. A text book dump tackle, didn't tip the player, didn't drive me dangerously into the ground. Just hit, lift and put down again (the player landed on his arse/tailbone). So, thoughts? Do you expect to see the tackle reffed differently?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Sorry to bring it up again. Empty Re: Sorry to bring it up again.

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Oct - 0:02

I think there will be a serious review as far as many aspects of refereeing has gone.

The situation in my opinion is clear that the game has advanced at a rapid pace and unfortunately the referees can't cope with the speed and intensity at which the game is played.

It is frustrating to be a fan, but the IRB is putting pressure on referees to perform but has done nothing to help them perform better.

sure there is human element that can never be taken out of the equation but simplfying the laws will go a long way in helping the situation.

I think the scrum needs attention, the decisions is to much of a lottery. Let the referee still call crouch touch and pause, but allow the feeding team to dictate the engage, it is after all their ball and there for their advantage.

Allow the props to put their hands down to regain their balance, but only for a second. This will avoid all the scrum resets. Also penalties at scrum time is too harsh, unless it is a repeated offence, but then the referee must be sure to get the call right and can't guess.

The breakdwon should simply just become a free for all, allow hands, allow players off their feet. This way players will aim to offload and this will automatically create more speed in the game.

The red card and yellow card should also be looked at. Penalise the player by sending him off, but don't penalise the team. If the IRB directive is to send a player off, but replace him with another the game won't suffer because of it and it remains a fair contest. The IRB can then look at lengthier bans for serious transgressions on the applicable player and that in turn can hurt his pocket if he loses out.

Also the bans must be for 6 matches as an example and not 6 weeks, the six weeks can be at the end of a season and then the player barely misses out on anything.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon 17 Oct - 11:08

I thing for sure I agree biltong is "The breakdwon should simply just become a free for all"

Too often we see off their feet when player hit form behind by his own side, holding when it could have been called not releasing etc etc..

This way the stronger and quicker side will usually win the breakdowns

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Oct - 7:48

Yes, certainly, for a week.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Huwball Tue 18 Oct - 7:58

Good point Bilton, but the IRB don't appear to have much common sense. They are becoming like the UK - health & safety mad.

I saw a point raised in another thread that in the not too distant future, unless we get a grip, we will be watching touch or tag rugby with no scrums, tackling etc.

'When I were a lad', at about age 7, we played 15 a side, full contact - nothing wrong with me Erm

I do think it's about time lifting in the lineouts stopped - seems a bit silly lifting a 7' bloke up higher

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 18 Oct - 11:52

Can also make the scrum half put in straight again...so the scrum actually becomes a contest....and not just a rugby league means of restarting the game.

I agree about the breakdown Bilton....free for all... Ok!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 18 Oct - 11:59

I don't want everything regressed to the bad old days, but I do feel that the scrum simply needs to be reffed like it used to be. The hit is not part of the laws. The front rows should come together, then the 2nd rows bind, then the back row. Take the weight and only push when the ball is put in (straight). The attacking team have the advantage as they can time their shove with the put in. The lack of a hit means that the scrum will be less likely to suddenly collapse.

The breakdown is a mess. Free for all is certainly one option though.

As for all the tackling nonsense that's going on, it should be very simple. If a player is dropped from a height or put head/neck first into the ground, penalty and a red card. If they land on their back/arse in a controlled manner, game on!
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 18 Oct - 12:13

The upside of the red card is hopefully it will create a precedent and we won't see similar tackles in any grade. If a ref has the cojones to march a guy in a World Cup semi, then Joe Referee wouldn't be afraid to do so in a Hutt Old Boys Marist vs Poneke Colts game. That can only be a good thing for player safety.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 18 Oct - 12:17

I hope we see people start to tackle properly again, none of this shoulder charge and pretend to use the arms nonsense, tackle them properly, wrap them up and release when you both hit the ground!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 18 Oct - 12:22

Agreed JD. SBW for example was idiotic and hopefully got a bollocking after the game.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 22 Oct - 14:44

What about the effort on Shane? Wasn't even penalised!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down