The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't forget Dan Biggar

+8
maestegmafia
Shifty
TycroesOsprey
wales606
gavstar
bedfordwelsh
Glas a du
walesworldcup
12 posters

Go down

Don't forget Dan Biggar Empty Don't forget Dan Biggar

Post by walesworldcup Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

Cant fault the Ospreys this season so far. Big chunk of players away on international duty or playing for other clubs and they are the only unbeaten team in the Robocop Pro12.

I think Dan Biggar is playing very well and still has a bright future and an international one at that. Maybe now we can see that the Ospreys spotted a long time ago that Hook was not a consistent 10 and that it was probably not his best position long term. Biggar has been a first team Ospreys 10 from a young age and has achieved quite a lot in his time there.

Even though Stephen Jones has not indicated international retirement yet, I don't think Gatland will involve him for much longer as we have seen how much of a threat confident young players bring to the team. Jones didn't have the bottle when he came on against France and was too rusty anyway. Rhys Priestland's injury was the biggest blow to Wales along with Warburtons red card.

Biggar is a 10 who has played consistently well for his team that won the league in 2010 and are currently the only unbeaten region. He should definitely be called up to the Welsh squad for the Oz game in December or for the Six Nations.

I would hope Dwayne Peel has a recall based on his superb form of late for Sale. Not taking anything away from Lloyd Williams or Tavis Knoyle, but Peel is class.

walesworldcup

Back to top Go down

Don't forget Dan Biggar Empty Re: Don't forget Dan Biggar

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:16 pm

Cant fault the Ospreys this season so far

You didn't see the Exeter game then, or does the "Low Value" Cup not count?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by walesworldcup Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:17 pm

Doesn't count.

walesworldcup

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

Laugh At least you're honest!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

As yet I have not seen much of the Pro12 this season but I imagine Biggar will be there or there abouts with regards to future Welsh Squads if he puts in the performances.

We need strength in depth in every position and I expect Priestland, Tovey, Biggar and even Jones if he doesn't retire still competing against each other.

M Morgan could still be a way off but depends how much genuine game time he gets for the O's.

Dare I say we need A Side back.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:23 pm

Yes. The only criticism I have of Biggar is that he implores decision of the ref like some prima donna soccer player. Fitter if he concentrated on his own game and learnt a bit of humility.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:40 pm

Biggar has never really impressed me, not as much as Priestland had done, he was probably the best attacking flyhalf in Wales last season

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

just posted about biggar on the 'hook' thread.

hes got a good rugby brain, reads the game well, watch him off the ball his positioning on the field is very good. needs work on too much kicking, but he has the right ideas, makes a mess on execution sometimes, he will get there and could be a great player.

howley told him to re-invent his game, scott johnson told him he was doing fine!! these youngsters need proper coaching of their game, in all aspects of the 10 role, not just be content with what the coach is happy with.

also. everyone should be in with a chance,lets bring all the 10's available up to standard, you cant have too many as we've just seen this last week.

not sure about ages, but i think biggar is 3 yrs younger than priestland, but may be wrong.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:30 pm

Biggar is good, but under pressure he can fall to pieces (or be briliant to be fair), and has long sections of being off-form.

Biggar didnt make the same impression in his first caps that Preistland did.

Biggar could be in the mix in the future, but I fear he is being messed around at the O's and he doesnt seem to have the temperment for an international 10 at the moment (ala Cipriani or Henson)

As for bringing back Peel - No point. At present Phillips is the best SH in the world in my opinion, Knoyle is getting better and Lloyd Williams has serious talent and will now be first choice at the Blues (he would have been last season bar injury).
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:23 am

give me a break Biggar? hes marking time till matthew norgan takes over.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:27 pm

Can't be worse than Hooky Hook.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Glas a du wrote:You didn't see the Exeter game then, or does the "Low Value" Cup not count?
Biggar didn't play against Exeter that was Matthew Morgan Headscratch
Though the Ospreys team against Exeter was very much third string.

I think Biggar is playing well, but he is a long way off Wales to be honest, he needs another 2 years to grow up.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
Glas a du wrote:You didn't see the Exeter game then, or does the "Low Value" Cup not count?

I think Biggar is playing well, but he is a long way off Wales to be honest, he needs another 2 years to grow up.
Does seem a bit like the Welsh regions are using the LV= as a chance to blood youth where as the Prem clubs are using it to give all their RWC returning stars a run out...

Os vs Saints is a ridiculously uneven fixture... No discredit to Saints, they named their team first...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:32 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Does seem a bit like the Welsh regions are using the LV= as a chance to blood youth where as the Prem clubs are using it to give all their RWC returning stars a run out...

Os vs Saints is a ridiculously uneven fixture... No discredit to Saints, they named their team first...

Yes I agree, i drove through Pyle and Kenfig Hill earlier and saw quite a few kids with Ospreys shirts, and even a few men wearing them in Co-op a hammering for the Ospreys could be a PR disaster, the last thing they want to do is give people the odd chance to see the Ospreys and then have them get shafted in front of potential fans. No one wants to see losers to be honest. Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:33 pm

seeing the rwc and the potential to be a second 10 to priestland, may just turn the corner for biggar in terms of maturity.

He is the sort of player who need a very strong coaching approach, is he getting it? or more to the point, is he getting coached in the right areas of his game so he can improve ? its not evident if he keeps making the same mistakes.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 22 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

I know that - you deliberately quoted me put of context, even though I'd highlighted the part of the OP's article I was commenting on!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

gavstar wrote:seeing the rwc and the potential to be a second 10 to priestland, may just turn the corner for biggar in terms of maturity.

He is the sort of player who need a very strong coaching approach, is he getting it? or more to the point, is he getting coached in the right areas of his game so he can improve ? its not evident if he keeps making the same mistakes.

I dont think he has the defence or the temperament to make it above regional level.

Far to often I see him missing tackles and blaming others when things he caused go wrong. I would like to see the Ospreys look hard for another decent youthful flyhalf to back up Biggar and Morgan.

To be honest I would have preferred that we had bought Shingler and let Biggar go to London Irish than the other way around. Shingler looks like he has more composure, works harder and has more potential for the future..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 22 Oct 2011, 5:29 pm

[quote="maestegmafia"]
gavstar wrote: I would like to see the Ospreys look hard for another decent youthful flyhalf to back up Biggar and Morgan.

I thought they'd brought over a youngster from Australia to play 10?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 5:34 pm

[quote="Turkster"]
maestegmafia wrote:
gavstar wrote: I would like to see the Ospreys look hard for another decent youthful flyhalf to back up Biggar and Morgan.

For Pre season training, I didn't go any further...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

[quote="Turkster"]
maestegmafia wrote:

They have a young lad called Sam Davies in the HEC Squad.

Biggar
Morgan
Davies

are the three flyhalfs

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 22 Oct 2011, 6:11 pm

wales606 wrote:At present Phillips is the best SH in the world in my opinion

I couldn't agree less. The moon has waxed and waned by the time Phillips gets the ball out.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 6:15 pm

Morgan looking twice the player biggar will ever be for the ospreys at the moment...

6-0

https://www.606v2.com/t16637-mensaints-v-boysospreys#608031

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 22 Oct 2011, 6:18 pm

Unless he transforms himself/grows up he should be forgotten.Bit like Gav in that his ego exceded his ability.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 7:39 pm

Morgan has an excellent kicking game

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

Morgan was man of the match and deservedly so... Great display, not too much flashy stuff but a lot of accurate pragmatism...

Looks better than Biggar at the moment...

Also watching the Dragons and Steffan Jones is looking very good at ten deputising for Tovey

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:43 pm

So things are looking good for 2019! Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:45 pm

Dan Biggar is an outstanding talent but his attitude stinks. If he concentrated on developing his game and learning from the best in his position, he could be very good.

Perhaps he needs to move from the Ospreys, to a side where the team ethic is stronger. Too many of the Gatatacos have become prima donnas; Hook, Henson, Phillips, etc. Perhaps now these guys have moved on, the team ethic will improve.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

Looking very good LP very good indeed...!

May even see Welsh Rugby back to where it was years ago where a top team could play a village club side and get a tough game, there was so much good rugby in Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down