The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Front wing F-Duct for 2012

3 posters

Go down

Mercedes Front wing F-Duct for 2012 Empty Mercedes Front wing F-Duct for 2012

Post by Fernando Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

Mercedes has reinvented an F-duct style innovation and intends to debut it in 2012, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports.

The magazine on Tuesday published diagrams of the innovation, which was apparently tested for the first time during free practice at Suzuka recently.

The new F-duct is confined to the front wing, not the rear wing as per the systems that were banned at the end of last season.

Air enters through the oval-shaped vent at the very tip of the 2012 Mercedes nose, is redirected via and inside the front wing supports and exits at the rear of the wing.

Unlike the 2010-style F-ducts, the system is not manually triggered by the drivers, making it legal.

Mercedes' new idea is to redirect more undisturbed air through the floor of the car.

Auto Motor und Sport said McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh is aware of the innovation and the head-start now enjoyed by Mercedes.

"If you make a start now, it's already too late," he said, predicting that other teams will nonetheless also experiment with the idea.

source: motorsport.com

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Front wing F-Duct for 2012 Empty Re: Mercedes Front wing F-Duct for 2012

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

Sounds very clever. You can bet most of the teams will have similar systems, at least ready to test, by the halfway point of next season.

Shame about the new exhaust rules for next season. I'd really have liked to see McLaren's octo-exhaust system in action at some point. On the other hand its good they've put the brakes on (pun intended) before things got too ridiculous with blown diffusers.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Front wing F-Duct for 2012 Empty Re: Mercedes Front wing F-Duct for 2012

Post by The Special Juan Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:33 pm

I can't wait for the new season. It'll hopefully be more competitive than this season (but if McLaren were to roll it I wouldn't be too sad Very Happy )

Do you think Mercedes will be challenging for race wins next season, or at least podium places?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm

I think its quite clear that everyone will copy the front wing F-Duct of Mercedes just like everyone copied Mclaren's F-Duct and had it working in the first grand prix of the European stint in Barcelona. Ferrari's front wing also looks very similar to that of Red Bull. I think Mercedes will be the suprise package next season, look who they've employed over the last months, Brawn knows what he's doing and with Bell & Costa they will make a formidable team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down