The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaun Edwards...

+11
formerly known as Sam
Luckless Pedestrian
offload
ScarletSpiderman
gavstar
TycroesOsprey
majesticimperialman
Gatts
Geordie
MarcusHalberstram
sirBiggles
15 posters

Go down

Shaun Edwards... Empty Shaun Edwards...

Post by sirBiggles Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:28 pm

...said he was out of contract with the WRU after Friday's game (ie. end of the RWC).

Will the WRU offer him a new contract and if they do, will he stay ?

Personally, I think he is waiting to see if :-

1. Gatland stays. I know he is contracted till next world cup, but the WRU did say he had some exit clauses, and I bet they revolve around the All Blacks.

and

2. Whether Johnson is pushed from the England job, as if that comes up, I reckon he will throw his hand in there.

Thoughts ?

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Shaun Edwards... Empty Re: Shaun Edwards...

Post by MarcusHalberstram Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

Maybe I'm just being romantic and biased, but I can't help getting the feeling Edwards has really forged a bond with the squad, and so long as Gatland stays he'll want to as well. I imagine the WRU will be willing to write a blank cheque to keep him, so it may be goodbye to Wasps - that's my prediction (or, more accurately, my hope)!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

Dont see him coming to England to be honest...beisdes i dont think his aggressive will to win (something England are missing massively in our coaches) would go well with the squeaky clean RFU prawn sandwich eaters....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Dont see him coming to England to be honest...beisdes i dont think his aggressive will to win (something England are missing massively in our coaches) would go well with the squeaky clean RFU prawn sandwich eaters....

i agree falcon...don't think the RFU could handle him and he might be too rough round the edges for them. Heaven forbid an England manager who speaks his mind.
That said i am sure he would choice for a strong element of the fans.

I too think he is waiting on Gatland but in my view Gatland's 6 week job interview for the ABs might have been unsuccessful; fundamentally Wales reverted to type in the semi, the red is the red herring, the real issue is how wales reacted to it and in my view they crumbled and started to kick pens like schoolboys.

Additionally his comment about cheating was very unguarded and irrelevant in the context of dealing with the red card.

I just hope we recover the honour and pride we had built up until that point. it is so important going forward

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

"That said i am sure he would choice for a strong element of the fans."

Gatts, it has been commented on many a time...how is it that most other teams come out from the kick off like a bunch of demented banshees...yet we (England) come out like we're after afternoon tea.

Someone like Shaun would change that for sure!

He would be a popular choice with England fans, but is he ready as a head coach or assistant.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

MarcusHalberstram wrote:Maybe I'm just being romantic and biased, but I can't help getting the feeling Edwards has really forged a bond with the squad, and so long as Gatland stays he'll want to as well. I imagine the WRU will be willing to write a blank cheque to keep him, so it may be goodbye to Wasps - that's my prediction (or, more accurately, my hope)!

..............................................................................................................................................................................................
I think Edwards as/is hoping that Wales will adopt him into the Welsh squad, in other words they will not want to let him go.

I personaly do not think he would want to come into the England set up to be honest,wehter Johnson stays or goes.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:43 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
MarcusHalberstram wrote:Maybe I'm just being romantic and biased, but I can't help getting the feeling Edwards has really forged a bond with the squad, and so long as Gatland stays he'll want to as well. I imagine the WRU will be willing to write a blank cheque to keep him, so it may be goodbye to Wasps - that's my prediction (or, more accurately, my hope)!

..............................................................................................................................................................................................
I think Edwards as/is hoping that Wales will adopt him into the Welsh squad, in other words they will not want to let him go.

I personaly do not think he would want to come into the England set up to be honest,wehter Johnson stays or goes.

Hope you are right, he often speaks abou thow his working environment becomes his family and i very much respect that about him. I think whoever takes the job will know the press will now give them a short honeymoon period - about the length of the announcement press conference - and then get stuck in and in that way the position has become a poison chalice

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

WRU have pretty much said they will try and move heaven and earth to keep him. Gatts is probably going to stay from his comments and with NZ winning the world cup on Sunday Hansen is in pole position for the NZ job.

I think Edwards and Gatts know that they are on the start of somthing and will want to finish it.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:56 am

insider, cant say who, take it or leave it edwards has never rated hook

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 20 Oct 2011, 9:45 am

TO be honest we have been whinging about Edwards, Howley, and McBryde for not being up to the job for three years, and now after winning 4 (Samoa, Namibia, Fiji, Ireland) out 6 (losses to South Africa, France) of RWC games we are worried about retaining their services? Seems a bit odd to me. I appreciate that at the moment we all feel on a high, but maybe Wales can now use their positioning in the rankings to bring in someone else.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 20 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

Ive whined about Howley as attack coach and have never understood how with two hookers for coach we still only had Smiler as a top quality player. I dont recall people complaining about Edwards?

As for Howley and Mcbride, I think we could do with a decent backs coach as we showed nothing off first phase. I also think we need to look at the ginger monster because our kicking has been poor this tournament.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 20 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:TO be honest we have been whinging about Edwards, Howley, and McBryde for not being up to the job for three years, and now after winning 4 (Samoa, Namibia, Fiji, Ireland) out 6 (losses to South Africa, France) of RWC games we are worried about retaining their services? Seems a bit odd to me. I appreciate that at the moment we all feel on a high, but maybe Wales can now use their positioning in the rankings to bring in someone else.

Spot on. Some players have found some form (Roberts, Wyn-Jones, Phillips, Shane, Bennett) and the youngsters have been excellent (Warbuton, Lydiate, Priestland, 1/2p, Faleatu, North). The team came together but I woudl still favour some coaching changes to keep things fresh and give the team a chance to kick on to another level.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 20 Oct 2011, 2:34 pm

Tycroes - people have complained about the fact that we have not been defensively that good (until the autumn this year) since the GS, and people have pointed out that Wasps have also looked ropey.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

I'd definitely like to see a new backs / attack coach. Our offloading and awareness are good but we still don't seem to have any pre-planned moves from first phase other than getting someone - either Roberts or North - to smash the ball up. How long has Rob Howley had to come up with some other ideas?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:11 pm

Tycroes - people have complained about the fact that we have not been defensively that good (until the autumn this year) since the GS, and people have pointed out that Wasps have also looked ropey..

There was serious work done this summer on that Welsh defence. It looked like a collinder in the 6N and all of a sudden it was aggressive, well drilled and quick. Certainly took England by suprise in the warm up games.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:33 pm

Formerly - yeah the defense has been pretty solid since the warm up matches, however I was just getting across the point that we are going from praising people to slating them to praising them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Thu 20 Oct 2011, 5:38 pm

I'd like to see Shaun Edwards move to coach Cardiff and continue in tandem with WRU as he has been with Wasps.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Thu 20 Oct 2011, 6:49 pm

France was shocking display - but like it or not that was down to the sending off which disrupted the line out, scrum etc and the introduction of hook at 10 - which was also shocking

IF Wales play like they did against SA in every much we'd be in the top three perminantly.

This ia why people want to keep Gats - it was the same reasonwhy we wanted to keep Hansen who despite not getting wins laid the foundations of professionalism.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

[quote="slartibartfast"]IF Wales play like they did against SA in every much we'd be in the top three perminantly..quote]

By losing every match by 1 point you would be in the top 3 what?

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:57 pm

aye Dr K its a good point, it comes from the 'we coudl beat anyone on our day' brigade who tolerate the nearly won, almost did it, we was robbed, great performance brand of Welsh rugby.

Me , i think we were yet again failing to put away a big team when they had their neck on our block...we can do it but there is something missing in accuracy, leadership, belief and being surgical in cutting oppositions up. We need to find it tonight

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:58 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Formerly - yeah the defense has been pretty solid since the warm up matches, however I was just getting across the point that we are going from praising people to slating them to praising them.
When has Howley been praised and for what???

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down