The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McNabb: "I Still Have A Lot Of Football Left In Me"

5 posters

Go down

McNabb: "I Still Have A Lot Of Football Left In Me" Empty McNabb: "I Still Have A Lot Of Football Left In Me"

Post by Derbyblue Thu 20 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

Cavalier and defiant to the end, Donovan McNabb claimed little ownership of the quarterbacking failures that plagued the Vikings' offense and led to his second benching in as many years, vowing, instead, to revive a career that once again has stalled.

"I know I have a lot of football left in me," McNabb told reporters Wednesday after coach Leslie Frazier officially demoted the 14th-year veteran in favor of rookie Christian Ponder for Sunday's game against the 6-0 and defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers.

"As any other competitor, you obviously want to compete with your team and prepare and look forward to having the opportunity to getting back on the field and changing some things. Unfortunately, not so."

McNabb, 34, said he was surprised by the switch when Frazier informed him during a face-to-face meeting Tuesday, two days after an embarrassing 39-10 defeat at Chicago plunged the Vikings to 1-5.

"He's the head coach. Decisions are made," said McNabb, whom Frazier lobbied to acquire in an offseason trade with Washington. "At this particular point, you continue to prepare and continue to support Christian and make sure he's ready. Most importantly, for myself, to prepare because I'm one play from going back in."

Minnesota traded a sixth-round draft pick in 2012 and a conditional 2013 pick to Washington before the season for McNabb. He arrived in late July eager to resurrect his career after Redskins coach Mike Shanahan twice benched him, including the final three games of 2010, after Washington had traded a pair of 2011 draft picks to Philadelphia to acquire him.

But McNabb has spent the first six weeks of the season ranked near the bottom of the NFL in several passing categories, completing 94 of 156 throws for 1,026 yards and four touchdowns, with two interceptions. He completed 19 of 24 passes for 177 yards against the Bears but took five sacks, including a safety, and struggled on third downs, a recurring theme throughout the season. Moreover, McNabb is 2-10 in his past 12 starts.

"I didn't feel or sense that staying the status quo would get us a win on Sunday," Frazier said.

Asked why he still should be the Vikings' starter, McNabb defended his play.

"Well, we've done some good things on offense. Scored some points. Moved the ball," he said. "I have a lot of football left. At the end of the year, that will be something I look at and see what's next."
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19147750?source=rss

Does anyone think they can see a team somewhere in the NFL who might look at McNabb and will be prepared forget the past two years and sign him to be their starter, or is he now destined to be a veteran back-up trusted to help develop the future of a franchise?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

McNabb: "I Still Have A Lot Of Football Left In Me" Empty Re: McNabb: "I Still Have A Lot Of Football Left In Me"

Post by Grizzly Thu 20 Oct 2011, 12:36 pm

McNabb is fast becoming another Daunte Cullpepper for me....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

McNabb: "I Still Have A Lot Of Football Left In Me" Empty Re: McNabb: "I Still Have A Lot Of Football Left In Me"

Post by Forward Pass Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

McNabb is now finished as a starter ,unless Ponder suffers any injuries
he might not even get a back up role next year
Sad end really as he was very good in Philly
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

I agree that McNabb is done. I can't think of a single team he could go to and be a better starter than whoever they currently have. The last 2yrs have damaged him and his reputation too much.

Veteran back-up beckons for him.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:49 pm

'Veteran back-up beckons for him.'

Which probably means a #3 berth on the roster and a far cry from the contract he signed in DC barely 12 months ago.
With the young talent entering the league I would suggest a quiet retirement and a place on the ESPN/FOX sofa.....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Thu 20 Oct 2011, 9:56 pm

I think he's done - his skills have been diminishing and he's at that point where teams are going to look in other directions for a QB solution. He might get lucky and get a team that wants a veteran backup, just in case.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:28 am

Grizzly wrote:McNabb is fast becoming another Daunte Cullpepper for me....
Is that career advice suggesting he should go the UFL?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:47 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
Grizzly wrote:McNabb is fast becoming another Daunte Cullpepper for me....
Is that career advice suggesting he should go the UFL?

LOL.
It's suggesting that he's clinging onto what was once a decent career, but being a journeyman back-up trying to live on achievements 5-10 years ago won't increase respect levels.
Take a half million bucks to sit in a studio 3 nights a week and every Sunday afternoon, it's a young mans league these days...

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down