The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh rugby club planning a tour to Canada. Need local knowledge.

+5
littleswannygirl
Scot Abroad
D24tress
red_stag
hash
9 posters

Go down

Welsh rugby club planning a tour to Canada. Need local knowledge. Empty Welsh rugby club planning a tour to Canada. Need local knowledge.

Post by hash Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

Hi there.

My rugby club is planning a tour to Canada 2012/13. All still up in the air.

Needs some local info on amateur teams that would be willing to play a few friendlies.

I was just wondering if anyone on this board can help?

Thanks

Andy

hash

Back to top Go down

Welsh rugby club planning a tour to Canada. Need local knowledge. Empty Re: Welsh rugby club planning a tour to Canada. Need local knowledge.

Post by hash Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

Are there any Canadians on this board, or Welsh boys who live out there?

hash

Back to top Go down

Welsh rugby club planning a tour to Canada. Need local knowledge. Empty Re: Welsh rugby club planning a tour to Canada. Need local knowledge.

Post by red_stag Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

Hiya Hash,

What age level and for how long you want to go?

How many would be touring?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hash Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:23 pm

Senior players. But a touring team. Nothing too strenuous.

1 week maximum and no more than 2 games really.

I was just wondering if there were any Canadians on the board. Shoudl have posted on a Canadian board really.

hash

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:32 pm

Go to vancouver its lovely, amazing place great for the booze and ladys too.

Jamie cudmore and his brothers team are out there
his brother is an actor who was in x men

http://www.capilanorfc.com/

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:54 pm

Yeah but Vancouver is another 3000 miles West. There are plenty of amateur teams in the Greater Toronto Area. If you get in contact with some of them through http://www.rugbyontario.com. Local team can be contacted here http://www.hamiltonrugby.com.

Hope this helps

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Thu 20 Oct 2011, 5:50 pm

Hash, I've come across one poster who is based in Canada. User name is B91212. I think he's English but lives over there, but I'm not sure which part of Canada he's in. I've seen him here on the Rugby Union section so he may well see this anyway.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 20 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

It just a suggestion but could you write and email to the canadian rugby union?
Maybe they can help you out, the canadian and welsh unions have a decent working relationship and isn't geraint lewis the old pontypridd player a high up manager there or something?

I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:09 am

AlynDavies wrote:It just a suggestion but could you write and email to the canadian rugby union?
Maybe they can help you out, the canadian and welsh unions have a decent working relationship and isn't geraint lewis the old pontypridd player a high up manager there or something?

I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. Hug

Alyn...i live in Victoria on Vancouver island on the sunny west coast of BC...happy to help

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

And if you want to stay on the East coast, I live in Toronto and would also be happy to help.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by hash Fri 21 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

cheers for info. very helpful.

hash

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 21 Oct 2011, 7:00 pm

Only just noticed this thread. littleswannygirl is correct, English now living in Central Alberta. Local team to me are the Red Deer Titans, who have 2 or 3 adult teams last I heard. My Mrs works with another nurse whose daughter played for the ladies team before going off to university. Not loads to do in Red Deer itself, not much of a bar and nightclub scene but it's close to the mountains (Banff / Jasper). It's also bang in the middle of the cities of Calgary & Edmonton as well. Through work I did know a couple of guys involved with the Regina club in Saskatchewan but not sure if they are still involved as our companies no longer work together.

Feel free to pm me if you need any more information.

Just remember it will have to be a summer tour over here, not much rugby is played when it is -40'c during winter (the ground gets a bit hard - lightweights Wink ).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 24 Oct 2011, 7:57 pm

Listen to B9 and get yourself over to Calgary in Alberta. My family emigrated there back in 2003 and love it. There's plenty of Welsh and English living there too and the Canadians in Calgary absolutely love their rugby! The teams I know of are Calgary Irish, the Hornets and the Rams. The Mavericks too but they're invitational only I believe. Hornets and Rams play at the same ground. The Scenery as mentioned is stunning, especially the rocky mountains around Banff; they hold a sevens tournament there (at Banff)every summer. Go there and whilst not playing you'll be relaxing in the natural springs or sat around the campfire in the woods! The wolves should wake you up with their howling about 6am!

The main city is a good 40 minute drive from the Rams rugby ground, you'll be able to see the skyline from there though. After a rugby match a party bus will pull up into the club and take you into the city. B9 doesn't speak much of the nightlife but compared to the nightlife over here it's very good, there will be no trouble or any fighting at all and the beer is cheap. Get researching and get over there, you will not regret it.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Listen to B9 and get yourself over to Calgary in Alberta. My family emigrated there back in 2003 and love it. There's plenty of Welsh and English living there too and the Canadians in Calgary absolutely love their rugby! The teams I know of are Calgary Irish, the Hornets and the Rams. The Mavericks too but they're invitational only I believe. Hornets and Rams play at the same ground. The Scenery as mentioned is stunning, especially the rocky mountains around Banff; they hold a sevens tournament there (at Banff)every summer. Go there and whilst not playing you'll be relaxing in the natural springs or sat around the campfire in the woods! The wolves should wake you up with their howling about 6am!

The main city is a good 40 minute drive from the Rams rugby ground, you'll be able to see the skyline from there though. After a rugby match a party bus will pull up into the club and take you into the city. B9 doesn't speak much of the nightlife but compared to the nightlife over here it's very good, there will be no trouble or any fighting at all and the beer is cheap. Get researching and get over there, you will not regret it.

I was only referring to the nightlife in Dead Rear, sorry Red Deer Wink , it's much better in Calgary (usually spend a couple of weekends a year down there for that reason). Beer is not so cheap now that the GBP has crashed against the $CAD. Was out for a meal yesterday and paid $4.99 a pint (about 3.10 GPB) which is about par for the course.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

Shame. I remember the time I could pay a dollar for a beer in a glass the size of two of our pint glasses. Never been to Red Deer or Edmonton as they are all so big and far apart. I plan to go there again someday and never return Smile. Still I recommend Calgary for the fact it's a rugbyplaying/chick hotbed.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:31 pm

Oh and B9 an honourable mention to Calgary's annual STAMPEDE!! Get your cowboy boots and hats on!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

Don't mess about on the plains!!

Come to vancouver and the island, the world's most beuatiful port city, apart form Sydney and Cape Town. Play rugby all year, ski in the morning and sail in the afternoon!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:24 pm

Gatts wrote:Don't mess about on the plains!!

Come to vancouver and the island, the world's most beuatiful port city, apart form Sydney and Cape Town. Play rugby all year, ski in the morning and sail in the afternoon!

If they want to play in continuous rain they could just stay in Wales, it's cheaper Whistle

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Shame. I remember the time I could pay a dollar for a beer in a glass the size of two of our pint glasses. Never been to Red Deer or Edmonton as they are all so big and far apart. I plan to go there again someday and never return Smile. Still I recommend Calgary for the fact it's a rugbyplaying/chick hotbed.

I agree Calgary would be the best choice. I'm not sure what the rugby community is like in Edmonton but as far as the two cities go I much prefer Calgary. It is a shame about the cost of things, especially beer but I still seem to find a way to afford it!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down