The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Player of the Tournament - Vote Now

+33
rodders
emack2
boomeranga
ME-109
aucklandlaurie
Casartelli
mckay1402
Notch
Gibson
Mr Bounce
red_stag
PJHolybloke
tomathy
Glas a du
Rory_Gallagher
Ozzy3213
JDizzle
Nos na Gaoithe
Hookisms and Hyperbole
slartibartfast
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
wales606
thebluesmancometh
mystiroakey
Seagultaf
Geordie
Standulstermen
eirebilly
Ospreydragon
dogtooth
George Carlin
37 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is the player of the Rugby World Cup 2011?

Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap6%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 5 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap0%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap34%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 30 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap0%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap1%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap1%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap17%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 15 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap17%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 15 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap15%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 13 ]
[ 0 ]
Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_lcap9%Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 88

Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Empty Player of the Tournament - Vote Now

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

Exactly what it says on the tin.

Vote now, by god.

Some context for your selections would be welcomed.

(I have added a "other" option for people to use if they dont agree (H)

Last edited by George Carlin on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Empty Re: Player of the Tournament - Vote Now

Post by dogtooth Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:47 am

exceptional player. a fantastic captain on and off field. a great ambasador for the game with a flawles rwc record, apart from a single moment of madness.

sam warburton. player of the tournament

Last edited by dogtooth on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : moment of madness by rolland)
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Player of the Tournament - Vote Now Empty Re: Player of the Tournament - Vote Now

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

In that list, Dusatoir. Performed at a very high level throughout. Very high work rate, very consistent, and composed.

I also think Faletau, Roberts and Phillips should at least be in the list.

Faletau -- has there been a better 8?

Phillips -- def best scrum half by performances.

Roberts -- best centre by performances.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

For me it was Jerome Kaino, i thought that he was immense the whole tournement.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

Kaino was great and up until today would have been my pick. Dusatoir has consistently maintained his own personal standards though and edges it for me. He was frighteningly good today as was Bonnaire whom i have never seen play so well. They have each had 3 massive games in a row

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

Dusatoir - Awesome......

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:23 pm

Dusautoir for me. Been superb throughout the whole tournament even in a misfiring side and capped it off with a try today. Never took a step back, I thought he was immense and conducted himself brilliantly. By far the best player for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:27 pm

Sorry, I can't vote. There is no button for none of the above!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

how can i vote when you dont have any english players in there Player of the Tournament - Vote Now 3187153522

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

I knew some numpty would mention Phillips, his boxkicks constantly kept us under pressure, leading indirectly to SA, Irish and Aus tries, his decision making awfull, left left left touchline right right right touchline left... his slow delivery was killer, and the delivery itself constantly making the 10 (all 3) check, leap, and pick up and gave opp 7's a hard on!!!

2 well taken tries do not make up for him, Bayonne are ruing their decision of taking pity on him!!!

Why anyone put Morne Steyn in there I don't know, and Toby is just a bit young, Hari and Read were incredible!

Have to give credit to a number of players who stood out in the group stage, The samoan tight 5 were excellent throughout, Frans Steyn went well, Carter did nothing wrong but get injured, and I have to mention Namibias 7 Joubert? the Sarries boy, what a player he was immense in a nothing outfit!!!

I am still in shock that 1 game v Argentina put Weepu in the player of the year list, Genia too was good without being outstanding, and the best 9 in the tourny was Parra who moved to 10!

Warburton doesn't stand a chance as the IRB are making an example of him, but he has been superb for 12 months! Roberts was better too.

Pocock was excellent but didn't play enough.

My vote Dussatoir is purely because he does everything Mccaw does minus the illegal stuff, and he and Warburton are only seperated by the red card.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:41 pm

After today, Dusautoir, he has lead a poor France team to a WC final and they came so close to winning it today - MOTM in a losing team in a WC final - thats how big his influence has been.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:56 pm

The way Dausitoir lead France was epic. A great player and an inspirational sportsman.

The All Blacks from 1-15 were just class, on and off the field. Played beautiful rugby, making barely any mistakes at any point. Deserved champions...!

But for me Sam Warburton has ben inspirational. A great leader with youth on his side, taking a misfiring team to the semi finals, playing great rugby since his first day in charge. He lead Wales from the front, and all the lads older and younger followed unquestionably. Even in his darkest hour he dealt with the situation with the candour of a true Gentleman, he barely showed his massive disappointment, he didnt criticise anyone, he was stoic in defeat and victory.

A true inspiration that has made many Welsh men and women proud.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:40 pm

I went for Kaino as being top throughout but thought Dusatoir and Harinordoquy were both awesome today.

Special mentions for me to Charteris, Faletau, Roberts
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

Sam for me - a dof of the cap to acknowledge his card was a tuff one. Wales really missed his "go forward" especially the last 20 aganst France.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun 23 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

McCaw for me. On one leg still the best 7 in world rugby by quite a distance.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sun 23 Oct 2011, 3:32 pm

Dusautoir way out in front??

I wanted to vote Dusautoir coz he was just so awesome in the final. But c'mon France barely played for most of the championship. And for most of the championship McCaw was holding that NZ team together. On one leg he dragged them through moments that could have seen them extend their chokers tag.

He's not one of my favourite players. But its gonna be McCaw that I remember most when I think of this WC.

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 23 Oct 2011, 3:38 pm

I think the four best players in the tournament are out ahead. Dusatoir and Warburton have led with inspiration to both their sides and are only seperated by that one "incident". Kaino has been a rock for NZ, and whilst I don't like McCaw there is no denying he has led NZ in his own way. I think a vote for any of them is fair, but Warburton is probably ruled out for his one moment of stupidity, McCaw is just a grade A tool whatever is leadership skills are so I am backing Dusatoir. In a sea of madness and awfulness he has been truly awesome. There will be some monstrous back row confrontations in the 6N next year with Warbs, O Brien and Dusatoir all playing.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

On what basis exactly is McCaw 'a grade A tool'?

That is one of the daftest posts I think I have ever read on here.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 23 Oct 2011, 3:46 pm

I just don't like the way he carries himself. He is an arrogant individual, who is allowed to get away with far too much on the field. He is a great player, but I just don't like him. Is that allowed?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 3:52 pm

You are not alone in feeling that he gets away with a lot on the field and referees fail to penalise him, but I have never heard anyone before have the opinion that he is an arrogant individual. Not sure where that has come from. Anything specific that he's said or done to lead you to that conclusion?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

He probably suffers my wrath because he is the skipper of New Zealand, and I just feel that they are a hugely arrogant nation in terms of rugby. Things like them saying they might pull out of the next WC, them kicking off anytime anyone does something that isn't meekly accepting their Haka and saying that it is "disrespecting them". Then there was the whole England black shirt fiasco which again "disrespected them" which was the biggest storm in a teacup I have ever heard. They, as a nation, just seem to think the whole rugby world should revolve around them and it gets on my wick. McCaw, as skipper, is the representation of them so that is probably why I hate him as much as I do.

There is also the fact that I don't rate him particularly highly as a player. He was a great 7 in a era between 03 and 07/08 but he may not be at his very best anymore but I don't see him ahead of any of Pocock, Warburton, Brussouw and Dusatoir in terms of pure 7 play to be honest. And if those players had been around between 03-08 then I don't think he would have stood out as much then either.And I always wonder how much of his reputation is build on the fact he is allowed to get away with murder on a rugby pitch.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:05 pm

The NZRU talking about pulling out of RWC2015 and them having a pop at England wearing black shirts has nothing to do with McCaw. That is a pretty poor reason for calling a person arrogant or a grade A tool to be honest.

In relation to his playing abilities, I completely disagree with pretty much everything you have said, however it is entirely right that you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that and leave it that we will have to agree to disagree there.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

Personally I think McCaw is the player of the tournament deservedly. He has led his team to victory so many times and I am very happy he got his hands on the world cup. Also, from what I have seen he seems very humble and a true inspirational leader. Never have I seen any arrogance come from that man, unlike a lot of other players.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

Dusautoir has been consistently brilliant in a regularly poor team, and managed to stand out when they finally played well.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

Dusatoir or Kaino. No one else is close to those two.

I'd give it to Dusatoir as he didn't get a winners medal Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

Few too many back row forwards in there IMO.

Nonu and Dagg were pretty immense, and what about Roberts?

As good as SOB is, I'm not sure he belongs on the list for this world cup, and that goes for Parra as well.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

A tough three way call for me.

Warburton, a great player who's really come of age in a very young and promising team, he's old beyond his years as a captain and leader and already has something of the talisman about him. He also comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.

Dusautoir, papered over the many cracks in a France team that seemed in open-warfare with the management at times, an imperious workrate with great handling and ball-carrying ability, lead France to a highly unlikely final place and dragged them almost single-handed to their best performance of the tournament. Unfortunately he's French and a six - so I'm oot.

McCaw, struggled with a foot injury at times but like any true competitor toughed it out and came through to be a World Cup winner. Kept his team solid today in the face of some heavy French pressure and made sure they fulfilled their potential right to the end, without McCaw today it may well have been a different result.

So for me it's between Warburton and McCaw, and purely on the basis that I like a winner, my vote goes to McCaw.

Maybe next time Sam?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:33 pm

IMO Nonu - he has come on leaps and bounds from the days when he was just a crash ball merchant and managed to keep media darling Sonny Bill Williams out of the team.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

Nonu has been fantastic and has been the best 12 in rugby for the past 2 years.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm

Kaino - the guy has been immense all tournament. Although Harinordoquy, McCaw, Dusatoir, and many others all deserve it Smile

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

Kaino was kept quiet today.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:19 pm

Dusautoir. Just immense. Helped make NZ look average today. And has been brilliant all through the comp.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:23 pm

Couldn't agree more.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:25 pm

Gibson wrote:Dusautoir. Just immense. Helped make NZ look average today. And has been brilliant all through the comp.

He won it today for me. I was on Weepu think I've moved to Dusautoir.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

If Weepu had made his kicks it would have been a different story, but Thierry is summat else.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

Jamie Roberts for me. He was the one person who never took a step back. Should have been captain against Aus in my opinion too
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

Don't think any French deserve to be on the shortlist to be honest - they were awful throughout, up until the final.

Conrad Smith was flawless, I'd have voted for him or McCaw.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

I think Dusatoir showed over the whole tournament that he is a class act both as a player and a captain. Plays with his heart on his sleeve at a consitent high standard. Overshadowed the whole AB back row today....

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:21 pm

Donald Duck....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:43 pm

Nah mate Donald Duck was the ref.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:40 pm

Ive gone for Terry Henry, with Kaino in second. Warburton also a mention. Pocock best for us.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:08 am

Richie McCaw for me,unable to train but playing on virtually one leg has been outstanding as a Captain and a Number 7.
As to arrogant,when interviewed he said how I play does`nt matter if the
TEAM is great.That i`m just OK thats fine with me.
ALL good 7`s play to the letter of the law and maybe a little beyond,over the years McCaw has changed his game.
Adapting to the law changes more,IF REFs don`t ping him it`s hardly his fault is it.
Some of the tricks he uses George Smith,Neil Back,Phil Waugh and Juan Smith did too and they were revered by there teams too.
An 88% win /loss ratio when he plays is pretty useful over a 103 games,most teams would love him.It`s all a matter of opinion of course.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 24 Oct 2011, 7:42 am

Is any one out there watching the IRB awards ceremony?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:15 am

Gone for Jerome Kaino, he's been consistantly brilliant throughout but there are some very strong candidates.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

Has he? Was he playing in the final?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:47 am

I've voted for Harinordoquy. Kaino and Dusautoir have been superb, too.

Some blogger or other had Harinordoquy as his number eight of the tournament. He explained that Toby Faletau was in the running too, but Faletau can't catch the ball one-handed mid-air in the lineout.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My shift button keeps sticking...)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:48 am

I am also for Jerome Kaino. I think that has has been immense the whole tournement with the exception of the final.

Glas a du, the article is about the player of the tournement not man of the match. Kaino was'nt at the races yesterday but that doesnt mean that he hasnt been a great player this RWC.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:51 am

Harinordoquy has been amazing over the last few games. His lineout play is breathtaking. However neither he nor Dusitoir, who was superhuman yesterday, did enough in the group stages for me.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:37 am

Fair play to Dusatoir. Well deserved

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

When is the Man annouced?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next