The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals?

+10
luciusmann
Danny_1982
wow
bogbrush
LuvSports!
legendkillar
Tenez
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
laverfan
MACROS82
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals? - Page 2 Empty Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals?

Post by MACROS82 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

First time poster here, so sorry if this has been discussed before! Just wondered really what people's opinions are of this match, having watched the it for the first time recently (was on holiday at the time) and was stunned by the standard from both men.
I like all the top four players and had been feeling for Nadal a bit recently until I watched the final a week ago. Although Djokovic was the victor (deservedly so) I think Nadal has to try and look back at some at the points he won (and lost!) with immense pride. Jonathan Overend summed it up saying "At times the tennis was frightening. We've seen some amazing things in this golden era for men's tennis, but several of the rallies last night hit new heights. Djokovic and Nadal traded brutal, relentless blows. The rallies were seemingly won, time and time again, only to continue sometimes for upwards of 30 strokes". I genuinely couldn't believe the standard at times and nor could the crowd by the sound of it. The noise levels during the points from the crowd must have been so distracting but both men continued to put balls back in play when it seemed impossible.
In my opinion it's right up there with Nadal Federer Wimbledon 2008 or Borg McEnroe.
What do people believe constitutes an all time great final in the pantheon of tennis matches over the years? Does it have to be 5 sets? Or can the sheer brutality (with a fair amount of finesse, shot making and guts) over 4 in this match compete?

MACROS82

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals? - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals?

Post by laverfan Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:05 pm

Courtesy begets courtesy. thumbsup

Raiders, Macros82 is perhaps reading. Wink

Tenez... do not say Paris is the only 'proper' tennis. Estoril is also proper tennis. laughing

As NitB says, a bit of a 'thick' skin on Internet forums does help. Hope SoCal1976 comes back! OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals? - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals?

Post by gallery play Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:20 pm

Djokovic Nadal US Open 2011 - One of the all-time great finals?

I had (a bit) fun for about an hour. Like it can be fun to watch a fast paced action movie. But after a while it was getting tedious, i actually got to a point where i was asking myself what the hell i was looking at. Extreme sports channel?
In tennis there has to be room for "fingerspitzengefuhl". But when those 2 meet it's too much a war zone.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:44 pm

gallery play wrote: But when those 2 meet it's too much a war zone.

It is tough to be the top dog.

gallery play wrote:"fingerspitzengefuhl"

There is some instinctive play, perhaps a bit different, than what we have seen in the past with Federer, but still some good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLONaHKDMbI

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

The shots are pretty poor in that first rally! They all fall on the T line 2m away from any possible external line...until the last shot, when at last one player tries to pull a winner...but goes out.

This first rally is an excellent summary of this match, except that the winner of the point is not the winner of the match.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 25 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

Tenez wrote:The shots are pretty poor in that first rally! They all fall on the T line 2m away from any possible external line...until the last shot, when at last one player tries to pull a winner...but goes out.

This first rally is an excellent summary of this match, except that the winner of the point is not the winner of the match.

Not like Fed, eh Tenez?? If he'd have been in that final his shots would have been two feet outside the baseline, as shown by his 100 and odd errors he made against these two in the French and US Open SF's

But at least he's goes for his shot Whistle

Is it just resentment that means you see everything negative about the Top 2?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Tue 25 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

Tenez wrote:The shots are pretty poor in that first rally! They all fall on the T line 2m away from any possible external line...

A poor shot is a shot that goes out, in the net or invites the opponent to go for an easy winner. I didn't notice any shots like that in the first rally.

until the last shot, when at last one player tries to pull a winner...but goes out.

The only poor shot in the rally.

This first rally is an excellent summary of this match,

I agree. Two of the best players to ever hold a racquet having to throw everything but the kitchen sink at each other just to win a point. Neither player chickening out and resorting to hit and hope tennis due to a lack of physical or mental fortitude. Both players having the discipline to stay in the point, keep moving the opponent around until a genuine opportunity for attack opens up. Tennis at its best and a very deserving winner. Erm

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

icecold wrote:
Tenez wrote:The shots are pretty poor in that first rally! They all fall on the T line 2m away from any possible external line...

A poor shot is a shot that goes out, in the net or invites the opponent to go for an easy winner. I didn't notice any shots like that in the first rally.

until the last shot, when at last one player tries to pull a winner...but goes out.

The only poor shot in the rally.

This first rally is an excellent summary of this match,

I agree. Two of the best players to ever hold a racquet having to throw everything but the kitchen sink at each other just to win a point. Neither player chickening out and resorting to hit and hope tennis due to a lack of physical or mental fortitude. Both players having the discipline to stay in the point, keep moving the opponent around until a genuine opportunity for attack opens up. Tennis at its best and a very deserving winner. Erm

clap clap Not certain that your point will be fully understood by some though!! I mean we glean from some that having a the ability to last 3hrs playing high quality Tennis is some kind of hinderance. Ironically, the same posters tell us how 'skillful' so and so is, based on their ability to be physical for the first 3 games of a match. The fact that Tennis and particular Grand Slam Tennis favours the skillful as only they have the skills to dictate the points meaning they have more energy for the latter stages (look at some of the running around Murray's opponents have to do, just to keep in their own service game) is lost to some

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

I give a view about a match and you have 2 vultures having a go at posters instead of arguing the points.

That's what's wrong with this forum I am afraid.

It's there for everybody to see!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

I am not going to sound like a Tenez clone, but some points you get where players just bash the ball to bits. Look at how many broken strings Murray goes through during a match.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

legendkillar wrote:I am not going to sound like a Tenez clone, but some points you get where players just bash the ball to bits. Look at how many broken strings Murray goes through during a match.

Murray the 'passive ball basher' !!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:40 pm

banbrotam wrote:
legendkillar wrote:I am not going to sound like a Tenez clone, but some points you get where players just bash the ball to bits. Look at how many broken strings Murray goes through during a match.

Murray the 'passive ball basher' !!

I am not sure it is to do with the power he generates, more the impact of the other player giving it a wallop Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 25 Oct 2011, 4:13 pm

Some very fine shots here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ujy3l5qIsA

... or here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3cn68V870A

Many shots in these two clips where the shots are 2m inside the T. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by icecold Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:09 pm

Tenez wrote:I give a view about a match and you have 2 vultures having a go at posters instead of arguing the points.

That's what's wrong with this forum I am afraid.

It's there for everybody to see!

a) Who are you calling a "vulture"? If you cannot keep it civil then in due course I hope that it will become necessary for you to find another board.

b) My post argued the points and didn't mention or even refer to the poster .... in this case you ... AT ALL, let alone negatively!

c) Take your own advice and argue the points and stop insulting the poster(s). That's what's wrong with this forum I am afraid. It's there for everybody to see!

icecold

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:28 pm

Tenez wrote:They all fall on the T line 2m away from any possible external line

Watch the Nadal FH to Djokovic's BH at 8-9 seconds into the clip. It was only a couple of centimeters away from the side line.

Djokovic's FH at 17-18 seconds lands on the baseline.

Edit: Also, watch the slow-motion clip at 2:20+. Djokovic BH DTL is a few centimeters away from the side-line.

Last edited by laverfan on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information)

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:28 pm

Well I apologise to you icecold cause I have now read your post and you are correct. However you may acknowledge that I was only talking about a tennis rally myself before your friend started to have ago. It did not bother you then, did it?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:29 pm

Djokovic vs Nadal = hours of 'euuuhhhnnhhhhh', 'ewoh-uh'. Time stands still.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Tenez wrote:Well I apologise to you icecold cause I have now read your post and you are correct. However you may acknowledge that I was only talking about a tennis rally myself before your friend started to have ago. It did not bother you then, did it?

warning warning warning warning
You naughty boy 'Icecold' - upsetting our fairminded Tenez like that, who never says a bad word about any Roger Federer Tennis player Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wPg99j93uY

This was the best final match in my opinion, specially the third set Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2