The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shortest Prime?

+4
samevans1
Gentleman01
Scottrf
Sugar Boy Sweetie
8 posters

Go down

Shortest Prime? Empty Shortest Prime?

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 4 Mar - 12:51

Discussion on the lennox Lewis thread has centred on the merits of Riddick Bowes career, and I think we can all agree he was a good fighter who's prime was all too brief, being a couple of years up to his peak in Holyfield 1, with him being fat and past his best by holy 2.

Which other fighters reached the peak of their powers and the top of the game for the shortest periods? No doubt 'prime tyson' will be the first name on everyones lips, so let's just say that a given. I'd also add Don Curry into the mix, great technical fighter with all the attributes when at his best, but his best came and went too quick.

Who else?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Shortest Prime? Empty Re: Shortest Prime?

Post by Scottrf Fri 4 Mar - 12:55

Audley Harrison: 8 days.

23rd September 2000-1st October 2000.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 4 Mar - 12:58

Well Tyson was Champion between 86-90 and made 9 successful, consecutive defences (3 more than Marciaon) so I've never quite understood the idea that Tyson's prime was very very short, especially when you consider his impressive form and performances in 85.

Speaking of Tyson, perhaps Buster Douglas could fall into this category, his prime lasted for about an hour in 1990, it was some hour though..

I would say someone like Meldrick Taylor maybe? He looked awesome up until after the Chavez fight, but he deteriorated extremely rapidly after that.

Donald Curry is also a good shout.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Fri 4 Mar - 13:01

There needs to be a distinction perhaps between a fighter who had one great night and a good fighter who was great for a short space of time.

Turpin, for example; was a decent fighter, whose prime lasted for one amazing night.

Glenn Johnson's prime was short; but lasted for perhaps a couple of years; when he beat RJJ and Clinton Woods.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 4 Mar - 13:19

I think you need to look at a fighter who had a good run of results in a relatively short space of time and then dropped off quite badly.

People like Fernando Vargas spring to mind.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Fri 4 Mar - 13:27

Varagas would be a good example.

David Reid would be another. As well as probably Yuri Boy Campas.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Fri 4 Mar - 14:13

What about the late, great Salvador Sanchez?

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 4 Mar - 14:37

Colonial Lion wrote:What about the late, great Salvador Sanchez?

Well, his prime certainly wasn't exactly long, but I think it doesn't really fit in with my interpretation of the article, which is fighters who boxed at a very high level, succesfully, for a relatively short space of time, then noticeably decline over the following months/years.

Sanchez was boxing at a very high level when he died, I think it difficult to establish a 'prime' period without a 'pre, or post prime period' to compare it with.

An interesting suggestion though Colonel.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 4 Mar - 15:13

Jermain Taylor's prime lasted for the blink of an eye.

He dethrones the great Hopkins then after a couple of defenses gets whacked by Pavlik who has himself spiralled downwards since.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Fri 4 Mar - 18:18

George Foreman might be a decent shout .Beat Frazier and looked a complete monster.Knocked a few other very decent guys over very quickly
Met Ali about 18 months after Frazier and went downhill very quickly
Curry is the other one as mentioned .Looked to have a bit of everything.Got Honeyghan on one of his great days.That did Don some damage .Followed it up with another damaging loss against the excellent Norris

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down