The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mayweather vs khan analysis?

+9
PPVxHOTTY
88Chris05
Nico the gman
tex cobb
Sugar Boy Sweetie
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
bloodygloves
13 posters

Go down

mayweather vs khan analysis? Empty mayweather vs khan analysis?

Post by bloodygloves Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Floyd vs khan

Chin 10 8
Ring generalship 10 8
footwork 10 9
Durability 10 10
Power 10 10
Defence 10 9
Stamina 10 10
Jab 9 10
Workrate 9 10
Hand Speed 10 10
Heart 10 10
Experience 10 8
Hook 10 9
Uppercut 10 9
Corner 10 10

Anyone like to differ!?

bloodygloves

Back to top Go down

mayweather vs khan analysis? Empty Re: mayweather vs khan analysis?

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 pm

I don't like these, because they don't really show too much.

However I certainly think Khan can pose problems to Floyd in terms of a good jab and good handspeed and willingness to throw combinations, however after a while I do fear Khan will end up falling into the same trap as the likes of Ortiz Mosley and De La Hoya. Losing rounds because they are slightly confused as to what punch to throw first and where, standing in the kill zone and being caught with the straight right constantly. Khan is not too hard to counter so I fear Mayweather would be able to take him on a UD or maybe even take him out late, depends on the durability of Khan really.

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Khan will be quicker if they meet...Khan will have more stamina...khan will have the better corner..Past prime is Floyd..

Did you copy the article off anyone...???

Certainly is a good one...

Next year Mayweather wins...two years time Khan wins..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Would maybe give Khan a 9 for power, and maybe 8 for defense, and up his footwork to 10. Would give Floyds corner a 9.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Would maybe give Khan a 9 for power, and maybe 8 for defense, and up his footwork to 10. Would give Floyds corner a 9.

What makes Khans corner better than Floyds?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Wouldn't give Khan 10 for footwork.....Footwork applies when a guy is hurt as well as when he isn't....

Khan's footwork is pretty poor when he gets caught.....Top guys like Ali and Holmes could get out of trouble...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:Would maybe give Khan a 9 for power, and maybe 8 for defense, and up his footwork to 10. Would give Floyds corner a 9.

I feel that one low blow means they could all jump in the ring and have Floyd thrown out, just being professional really. Apart from that though the corners are equal for me.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wouldn't give Khan 10 for footwork.....Footwork applies when a guy is hurt as well as when he isn't....

Khan's footwork is pretty poor when he gets caught.....Top guys like Ali and Holmes could get out of trouble...

So you wouldn't give his Chicken Dance a 10?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wouldn't give Khan 10 for footwork.....Footwork applies when a guy is hurt as well as when he isn't....

Agreed at times he lingers after throwing as well, leaves his chin hanging right out there for a counter, the second he comes up against a decent powered counter puncher could have Khan i big trouble, problem is Floyd is just that beast.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

I feel that one low blow means they could all jump in the ring and have Floyd thrown out, just being professional really. Apart from that though the corners are equal for me.

To be fair to Roger he didn't jump in the ring when Ortiz butted him...
The anger management maybe working!
Also to be fair Judah's low blow were scandalous though to be fair everyone jumping in and having a bar room brawl didn't help.
Particularly seeing as Judah isn't known for staying cool!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm

On second thought's both of you are right and would give both them a 9. Floyd has great footwork but his defense is more upper body work and gloves. But Floyd can also work great on the inside which Khan can't, i dunno, it's a tough one.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Not sure I'd call durability even. Mayweathers gone 12 rounds with some quality fighters, other than clinging on for dear life against maidana I've not see khan exhibit any real durability.

I don't rate khan as highly as many. I feel his height and reach cover a multitude of sins at 140. He's fast and well conditioned, but he lacks real power at 140. Mayweather is hard to hit at the best of times, when you do catch him you have to make it count which khan won't be able to do at 147. Khan tends to attack by throwing fairly wild flurries of punches, and when doing this he leaves himself wide open to counters. This is because he doesn't have natural defensive instincts - roach has trained the high guard into him but he forgets it every time the pace goes up. Mayweather is a great counter puncher and will nail khan everytime khan leaves himself exposed. When he moves backwards khan does so in straight lines, again leaving himself wide open. He bangs his gloves together in homage to pacquiao but unlike manny he runs away instead of throwing punches. Finally, he has a weak chin. Mayweather may not be a massive puncher but you don't need to be against khan - the speed and accuracy of his punches will find their target and be enough to cause khan trouble.

Khan has height and reach, speed and stamina are equal, but floyd has the skill and the smarts and over 12 rounds that's what wins the fight. Only way khan wins is via workrate against an over the hill mayweather, which I think is what his team are planning for.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Suppose the author is just speculating how durable Floyd is...as he's never really been in trouble....Workrate is hard to call as well as he's always called the shots in his fights generally as regards to the pace.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tex cobb Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Floyd is an all time great, may not have beaten the best but would certainly had competed with them.

tex cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Khan will match Floyd for the first 3 rounds, then Mayweather will have worked it out, Khan throws a lot of punches but not a huge puncher for me,master counter puncher PBF.
When Khan runs out of ideas Mayweather will start to take him apart I see this much like the Hatton fight Mayweather being too strong, late stoppage for PBF.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:51 pm

While I've been very impressed with Khan over the last eighteen months - and he has improved at a considerable rate - I still think a couple of people may be getting ahead of themselves with regards to how he'd do against Mayweather, particularly since Floyd has been showing more of a physical edge in his last couple of fights, against men who were, apparently, going to be stronger than him come fight night.

I think Sugar Boy is bang on with his point regarding Khan's defence - it's incredibly mechanical, not natural to him at all. His plan A of high guard, circling the ring is fine when he's under no real pressure, but after one of those lapses in concentration which he's still prone to he looks like bambi on ice, all over the place. Of course, Mayweather is no Thomas Hearns in the power department, but he is the most accurate puncher in the game, and while Khan's quick flurries of punches are eye-catching he does still leave himself open to straight punches through the gate.

I'm not sure I agree with this idea that Mayweather would be in a world of trouble if Khan got his jab going, either. People forget that Mayweather has one of the best jabs in the game and, while Khan has the height advantage, let's not forget that Mayweather has a surprisingly big reach for such an average-sized Welterweight. He may be half a step slower than he was a few years back, but in a pure boxing match I still don't think there's anyone out there between 147 lb and 154 lb who can beat him.

And so, Khan's only hope is to outwork him, rather than outbox him. I've seen Gatti, De la Hoya and Hatton face Mayweather with (seemingly) little plan other than to throw a hell of a lot of punches, and it hasn't worked out too well for them. Not sure it would be enough for Khan, either.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 pm

We can only judge Mayweathers durability after he's been caught, yes he was caught out against Mosley but he actually came back at the end of that round and starting landing good shots on Mosley then came out as agggressive as we've ever seen him and smacked Mosley about for 3 minutes, the guy is very durable I think. He hasn't really been caught in a typhoon of punche, but I don't think there's a single boxer that can do that.
No Manny can't.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:05 pm

88Chris05 wrote:While I've been very impressed with Khan over the last eighteen months - and he has improved at a considerable rate - I still think a couple of people may be getting ahead of themselves with regards to how he'd do against Mayweather, particularly since Floyd has been showing more of a physical edge in his last couple of fights, against men who were, apparently, going to be stronger than him come fight night.

I think Sugar Boy is bang on with his point regarding Khan's defence - it's incredibly mechanical, not natural to him at all. His plan A of high guard, circling the ring is fine when he's under no real pressure, but after one of those lapses in concentration which he's still prone to he looks like bambi on ice, all over the place. Of course, Mayweather is no Thomas Hearns in the power department, but he is the most accurate puncher in the game, and while Khan's quick flurries of punches are eye-catching he does still leave himself open to straight punches through the gate.

I'm not sure I agree with this idea that Mayweather would be in a world of trouble if Khan got his jab going, either. People forget that Mayweather has one of the best jabs in the game and, while Khan has the height advantage, let's not forget that Mayweather has a surprisingly big reach for such an average-sized Welterweight. He may be half a step slower than he was a few years back, but in a pure boxing match I still don't think there's anyone out there between 147 lb and 154 lb who can beat him.

And so, Khan's only hope is to outwork him, rather than outbox him. I've seen Gatti, De la Hoya and Hatton face Mayweather with (seemingly) little plan other than to throw a hell of a lot of punches, and it hasn't worked out too well for them. Not sure it would be enough for Khan, either.

Agreed for the most part. To be fair De La Hoya outworked Floyd by imposing the jab first then throwing fast flurries. Of course DLH couldn't keep this up for 12. Khan probably can, also these were Freddy Roach's tactics on how to beat Mayweather, a lot of people forget Roach trained DLH in the build up to the fight with Floyd. I wouldn't be suprised to see the same tactics considering the cards were close.

HOWEVER, Floyd has adjusted to this, he has realised guys coming forward and being the aggressor is eye catching and he has to do some of the same, so that's what he has done since his comeback, I would be suprised if Khan could even get the jab going, to be honest with you, whenever Floyd stands in the centre of the ring unless you are very very physical or have physical advantages over him Floyd doesn't fall back. Especially with this new aggressive side we're seeing to him. In truth I wouldn't pick many if any aside from perhaps Tommy Hearns and SRR to beat Floyd at 147, especially with the way he is fighting now. I can see Khan end up being confused with his lack of success and doing exactly what so many others have done, stood right there in the kill zone and taken shots confused as to what to do.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Gameplans for Khan against almost any fighter are irrelevant, the reason being hes still maturing and never sticks to a plan. Just watch him when he goes back to the corner and asks Roach 'how am i doing' etc even though hes clearly winning the fight. I call this amateurish! In the sense he likes to outpunch his opponents, winning rounds is not always about being the aggressor, if Professional boxing was scored like it is in Olympics then Khan would beat most fighters hands down.

In terms of beating Mayweather you guys have nailed the main factor, he must outwork Floyd. Its about hitting and not getting hit aswell, everyone who understands how Floyd boxes will know he will just throw straight rights through the guard catching him with almost every shot, this for me takes out Khans only chance of winning, Floyd is the most accurate counter puncher in the sport and will land straight rights through Khan.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:41 am

Mayweather might have some trouble with his hand speed; but he is very accurate and will counter Khan silly, especially in the second half of the fight.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:27 am

My thoughts on this are that if Khan was able to throw several punches very quickly and run he may be able to get around Mayweathers counters.

The one thing he would need to ensure is that he keeps varying the amount of punches thrown as Mayweather would work out punch patterns (if he threw five punches everytime Floyd would be ready to counter after avoiding the fifth).

Would say the best thing to do is negate power and go for purely arm punches to maintain balance - this again would be dangerous though as he would need to concentrate for the entire fight.

Khan would be able to beat Mayweather with the tools he has but he would obviously be the underdog and need to fight the perfect fight for every minute of every round.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:37 am

My thoughts are whilst Khan does have the potential to worry Floyd with his speed I seriously doubt he has enough in his arsenal to get the win in this one. As Huw has alluded to few fighters are better at working a guy out and adjusting like Floyd and at this point I fear for Khan as I still am not sure he has much in the way of ring intelligence. He has improved but when something happens that is not in the script he seems to muddle through rather than adjust. Only have to look at when Maidina had him going, he did not really do anything clever to buy himself time or distance, just got away with it through MM being a bit crude.

If Floyd gets him going and or starts to take the fight away from him can Khan do anything to adjust. I have seen nothing thus far to suggest he can, and after three or four rounds when Floyd works him out think he runs away with the fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:41 am

Inclined to agree with you, Jeff.

I'd be massively excited if this fight were to be announced, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 am

So would I fists, a lot of people criticise the match or Khan calling him out but he is in the top two in the division below so for me it is a valid enough match up, certainly do not recall all this outcry when Ricky was calling Floyd out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down