The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When will Nadal retire?

+9
Chazfazzer
polished_man
legendkillar
yloponom68
laverfan
gallery play
noleisthebest
Fernando
Djoker is in Nadal's head
13 posters

Go down

When will Nadal retire? Empty When will Nadal retire?

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

Nadal's career has gone downhill this year. He won a slam courtsey Fed that he took out Nadal's nemesis Djoko the great.

2012 has been a pitiful year for Nadal. He kept losing to Djoko all year. First was at Indian Wells. As it is a slow hard court so Nadal fans asssumed that Djoko might have had the edge. Then came the Miami masters where like Inidan Wells after winning the first set, DJoko destroyed Nadal and won his second final against nadal.

Nadal managed to win Monte Carlo and Barcelona open thanks to benevolent David Ferrer who like Wawrinka has never tried to beat Nadal. Then came Madrid masters on red clay where no one can beat nadal other than useless Almagro. Well Djoko changed the script and beat Nadal at Madrid as well. Then came Rome and nadal fans said that Madrid is faster clay court and nadal will outclass Djoko and will teach him a clay lesson. Alas, the results was same Noval inflicted 2 sets humiliating defeat.

In between Nadal managed to win FO courtsey Federer (as he saved him from facing Djoker). Djoker would have won the unprecedented 4 slams in a year if Fed had not decided to play his best during the SF at Roland Garrsos 2011.

Then came the Wimby final and all the tennis experts were unianmous on the choice for winner were 2 times champion Nadal. The reason was that Djoko has less experience on grass and five setter is a different ball game. But again the result was same, Djoko humbled poor Nadal and stamped his authority over no weapons Nadal and added the third slam to his kitty.

US open finals and Nadal fans were still hopeful that Rafa will be able to change the script and beat Novak to win his 11th slam. But by now, Djoko had created serious doubts in Nadal's and his teams mind that beating Novak is impossible. So when during the third set Nadal fas were sensing a come back, Djoko using an old trick of Nadal (mto) turned the tables on Nadal and entered his name into the book of tennis greats.

Is this the right time for Nadal to retire as he has to pray for no encounter with Djoko to win another tournament?

Back to top Go down

When will Nadal retire? Empty Re: When will Nadal retire?

Post by Guest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:15 pm

Then came the Wimby final and all the tennis experts were unianmous on the choice for winner were 2 times champion Nadal.
Hardly. Even most of the bookies had Nole as the favourite going into that match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

Did you see the final preview on BBC? I think either Rusdeski or Henman, one of them was favouring Djok. Rest Mac, Wilander, Boris were all favouring Nadal. The logic was that nadal is a different player when playing 5 sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm

I dont want to argue for the sake of it, but when you make statements such as the one you quoted, at least make it right.
You said 'unanimous' when it wasn't. You said 'I think' which doesnt mean it happened because you cant really remember. If you are going down this crusade of bigging Nole up over Nadal, get it right, because that is what annoys people with silly statements that have no substance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:28 pm

Y I, I watched the preview on BBC, I agree that the unanimity is a bit of exaggeration but most of the experts were favouring Nadal owing to his grass court records and ignoring the previous 4 finals win of Djoko over Nadal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:

2012 has been a pitiful year for Nadal.

Is this the right time for Nadal to retire as he has to pray for no encounter with Djoko to win another tournament?

Nice of you to try and predict the future considering it's 2011 still.

Rafael has had a very poor season by his standards but then again your never going to win all the time, Novak on the other has had an exceptional year but i don't expect it to last as i reckon 2012 will be the closest the top 6 in the world will have been in a long time and i don't think Rafael will retire til into he's thirties unless he's knees catch up with him. Also have you tried writing a article about anything other then Nadal's decline but its really quite tedious we get the picture you like Novak and don't like Rafael.

Last edited by fernando on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm

It's true that Nole has been on terrific form this year. Of that there is no doubt. I was in awe of the semi final against Federer in the USO.

But to ask if Nadal should retire to avoid a possible defeat to Nole is a bit silly imo. Nadal is a great player in my book and still has plenty to give.

Answer this:
Do you think Nole will beat Rafa in the FO final? (if it is them in the final) Cos I dont.

Last edited by Y I Man on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:34 pm

Tim's vote went to Nole.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:42 pm

not a single expert were in favour of novak. Thanks nitb, henman was the only one from bbc rooting for novak.
TRhis site does not allow me to post link

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm

You can say a lot of things about Nadal but lack of tenacity isn't one of those so you'd better prepare yourself for more to come DiiNh..

BTW YI Man, Surely Djoko would beat Nadal in a FO final. In 3 or 4

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm

DiiNh wrote:Then came Madrid masters on red clay where no one can beat nadal other than useless Almagro.

Madrid 2009 perhaps may jog your memories. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:07 pm

LF, only thing about your post is that we are not discussing 2009 but present.
Okay nadal might have few more months left in him but his decline has started.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

Months !!!! laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm

Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:LF, only thing about your post is that we are not discussing 2009 but present.

'You begin to die the day you are born'. Does that mean we need to discuss death with infants? Laugh

Nadal's decline started when he started playing Tennis. Wink

Unless you are from the future, it is very hard to predict the retirement date of a tennis player.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:58 pm

laverfan wrote:
Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:LF, only thing about your post is that we are not discussing 2009 but present.

Nadal's decline started when he started playing Tennis. Wink

Unless you are from the future, it is very hard to predict the retirement date of a tennis player.

I meant decline of tennis career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sun 30 Oct 2011, 12:02 am

YI, I dont think that Nadal will be able to win Nole ever again so wheteher it is FO, USO or Wimby or Aus open.

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun 30 Oct 2011, 1:23 am

On the perhaps erroneous assumption that "Djoker is in Nadal's head" is, a big Djokovic fan, and rather less so, of Nadal...

"Nadal's career has gone downhill this year. He won a slam courtsey Fed that he took out Nadal's nemesis Djoko the great."

Having won 3 Major singles titles and various TMS titles in 2010, it would be hard for anyone to do better than that the next calendar year, so there really is only one place to go from there, which is "down," whether it be slightly or rather more that that (Full respect to RF with his 3 x 3 Major years!!)

"2012 has been a pitiful year for Nadal."

I don't know really, a Major singles title, TMS title, another title, and 7 finals? No doubt a few players listed amongst those active onthe ATP Tour would like a "bite at that apple, no?

"First was at Indian Wells. As it is a slow hard court so Nadal fans asssumed that Djoko might have had the edge."

Nadal played very well, won the first set, even in the 2nd, then his serve went AWOL. Indeed, Djokovic did what he had to do to win that particular match, but it was a technical thing on Nadal's serve, and at that point, nothing to do with Djokovic being in Nadal's head.

"Then came the Miami masters where like Inidan Wells after winning the first set, DJoko destroyed Nadal and won his second final against nadal. "

Score in that one was: 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, so "destroyed?" Hmmm, me thinks not.
Nadal won the 1st set, and at the end, both players were physically "reeling," barely able to continue within the points. Djokovic "did the deed," indeed, but let's keep perspective here.

"Nadal managed to win Monte Carlo and Barcelona open thanks to benevolent David Ferrer who like Wawrinka has never tried to beat Nadal."

Something he's "managed" to win what, 7 times and 5 or 6 times, respectively, regardless who was or wasn't in the draw!!

"Then came Madrid masters on red clay where no one can beat nadal other than useless Almagro. Well Djoko changed the script and beat Nadal at Madrid as well. Then came Rome and nadal fans said that Madrid is faster clay court and nadal will outclass Djoko and will teach him a clay lesson. Alas, the results was same Noval inflicted 2 sets humiliating defeat. "

Finally some perspective - indeed two fanatstically crafted, debilitating, straight set losses on is beloved clay. Now HERE, things started to get into the mental realm, and "being in his head," comes into play. You got it right here, just way too early, in your initial commentary

"In between Nadal managed to win FO courtsey Federer (as he saved him from facing Djoker)."

Again something he's "managed" to do on 5 other occasions, several times beating the player acclaimed by many to be the Greatest of all Time, starting at a mere 19 years old. Not bad really...6 wins in 7 starts, bettering Borg's 6 wins in 8 starts. Borg? Yeah, might know the name, he was a pretty handy player in a few people's opinions.

"Djoker would have won the unprecedented 4 slams in a year if Fed had not decided to play his best during the SF at Roland Garrsos 2011. "

"Unprecedented?" OK, just to fill you in, back in 1938 Donald Budge won all 4 Majors; 1962 Rod Laver won all four, and repeated it again in 1969. So HAD Djokovic won all 4, it would have been the 4th time in the Men's game, NOT an unprecedented feat.

"Then came the Wimby final and all the tennis experts were unianmous on the choice for winner were 2 times champion Nadal. The reason was that Djoko has less experience on grass and five setter is a different ball game. But again the result was same, Djoko humbled poor Nadal and stamped his authority over no weapons Nadal and added the third slam to his kitty."

OK got better here you did, other's have previously commented on the "unanimous" (note spelling!) label, so will leave that alone! Djokovic again, was truly amazing in his execution and again, showed that he is indeed, "in Nadal's head." So more good stuff from you here again.

"US open finals and Nadal fans were still hopeful that Rafa will be able to change the script and beat Novak to win his 11th slam. But by now, Djoko had created serious doubts in Nadal's and his teams mind that beating Novak is impossible. So when during the third set Nadal fas were sensing a come back, Djoko using an old trick of Nadal (mto) turned the tables on Nadal and entered his name into the book of tennis greats."

When Nadal lost that set to Murray, I remember thinking, I hope that doesn't cost him down the road. With the scheduling, it may well have done so. Nadal had begun to take the momentum from Djokovic, and with winning that third set, I did, think Nadal would take it in five; he seemed fine. That delay, and I have no problem with that at all, then appeared to see aphysically shattered Nadal come back out, and Djokovic to his credit did what he had to do, with his then-physical limitations, to win the match, and bloody good job too. That set v Murray - would it have been the difference? Maybe...but Djokovic's 2011 stands with 3 Major singles titles, slew of other titles, and will take some doing to repeat.

But there we come back full circle to Nadal's 2010, and having to repeat that. Now it is Djokovic's turn, mind you though, prior to Nadal's 3 Major season, he'd already won 7 Majors; Djokovic, only 1 Major prior.

So we'll see how it all pans out in 2012, how Djokovic deals with having the pressure to win every match, maintain his ranking points, deal with his body's need to back up the physically demanding style of his play (those groins, never mind the back!).

I genuinely wish him well, but as far as Nadal retiring? World No 2, 10 finals this year, and 6 of those lost to one player only, yeah, don't see it happening just yet. Would be good to see them meet at Aussie and French this year, but no doubt, they'll have a few good bashes in 2012, don't count Nadal out just yet. Djokovic has put on some "big shoes" this year, and we've yet to see how comfortably he "wears" them with passing time.

Roll on 2012!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 30 Oct 2011, 7:26 am

I was going to write something, but seeing as most of the posts here have summed perfectly the poor perspective of the OP, I can only thank them. Well done 68yloponom and LF for taking the time to respond constructively to such a poor post.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Sun 30 Oct 2011, 7:39 am

PLease let the WUMS live.

Thanks

Preservation of endangered poster categories committee
PM
Chairman
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sun 30 Oct 2011, 8:47 am

legendkillar wrote:I was going to write something, but seeing as most of the posts here have summed perfectly the poor perspective of the OP, I can only thank them. Well done 68yloponom and LF for taking the time to respond constructively to such a poor post.

Yplonom has constructively argued the points and as you can see that we have agreement on quite a lot of points. LK, just labelling a post poor shows you in poor light. It would have been best if you have opted to stay away from this.

I have not given the verdict, most of the posters here have agreed anyway that 2011 was a very poor year for Nadal and I have just asked others as how many months before Nadal will call it a day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sun 30 Oct 2011, 8:51 am

I am right about the WImbeldon as well, I agree it was not unanimous but those of us who watched the review on BBC remember very clearly that Nadal was termed as a favourtie. Even at USO, I am not too sure but Nadal was having better odds owing to his being reigning champion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sun 30 Oct 2011, 9:02 am

It was an insult to tennis watching fraternity that no weapn nadal was ocupying the no. 1 rank in the world.
Out of his 10 slams, 6 have come on clay. Had there been no FO, nadal slams count like this 1 AO, 2 Wimby and 1 USO.
Nadal has never defended a title outside clay that shows that he cannot really play outside clay. Djoko has saved the tennis world and it is good to see that someone can negate the one dimensional game Nadal plays.
Well to retire was just to write another post on the lines of when fed will retire. It will be good to see Nadal play for some more time and Djoko to come better than him all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 30 Oct 2011, 9:08 am

You are asking whether or not Nadal should retire so the basis of the post is ones time in a career. When LF mentioned the past, automatically you are dismissive. Shows lack of perception. You can't look forward without looking backwards I'm afraid.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sun 30 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

Nadal has never defended a title outside clay that shows that he cannot really play outside clay.

So a player that's won two Wimbledon titles, a US Open and an Australian Open can't play outside of clay? By that logic, virtually no player on the tour today can play outside of clay.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Oct 2011, 9:20 am

yloponom68 wrote:On the perhaps erroneous assumption that "Djoker is in Nadal's head" is, a big Djokovic fan, and rather less so, of Nadal...

"Nadal's career has gone downhill this year. He won a slam courtsey Fed that he took out Nadal's nemesis Djoko the great."

Having won 3 Major singles titles and various TMS titles in 2010, it would be hard for anyone to do better than that the next calendar year, so there really is only one place to go from there, which is "down," whether it be slightly or rather more that that (Full respect to RF with his 3 x 3 Major years!!)

"2012 has been a pitiful year for Nadal."

I don't know really, a Major singles title, TMS title, another title, and 7 finals? No doubt a few players listed amongst those active onthe ATP Tour would like a "bite at that apple, no?

"First was at Indian Wells. As it is a slow hard court so Nadal fans asssumed that Djoko might have had the edge."

Nadal played very well, won the first set, even in the 2nd, then his serve went AWOL. Indeed, Djokovic did what he had to do to win that particular match, but it was a technical thing on Nadal's serve, and at that point, nothing to do with Djokovic being in Nadal's head.

"Then came the Miami masters where like Inidan Wells after winning the first set, DJoko destroyed Nadal and won his second final against nadal. "

Score in that one was: 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, so "destroyed?" Hmmm, me thinks not.
Nadal won the 1st set, and at the end, both players were physically "reeling," barely able to continue within the points. Djokovic "did the deed," indeed, but let's keep perspective here.

"Nadal managed to win Monte Carlo and Barcelona open thanks to benevolent David Ferrer who like Wawrinka has never tried to beat Nadal."

Something he's "managed" to win what, 7 times and 5 or 6 times, respectively, regardless who was or wasn't in the draw!!

"Then came Madrid masters on red clay where no one can beat nadal other than useless Almagro. Well Djoko changed the script and beat Nadal at Madrid as well. Then came Rome and nadal fans said that Madrid is faster clay court and nadal will outclass Djoko and will teach him a clay lesson. Alas, the results was same Noval inflicted 2 sets humiliating defeat. "

Finally some perspective - indeed two fanatstically crafted, debilitating, straight set losses on is beloved clay. Now HERE, things started to get into the mental realm, and "being in his head," comes into play. You got it right here, just way too early, in your initial commentary

"In between Nadal managed to win FO courtsey Federer (as he saved him from facing Djoker)."

Again something he's "managed" to do on 5 other occasions, several times beating the player acclaimed by many to be the Greatest of all Time, starting at a mere 19 years old. Not bad really...6 wins in 7 starts, bettering Borg's 6 wins in 8 starts. Borg? Yeah, might know the name, he was a pretty handy player in a few people's opinions.

"Djoker would have won the unprecedented 4 slams in a year if Fed had not decided to play his best during the SF at Roland Garrsos 2011. "

"Unprecedented?" OK, just to fill you in, back in 1938 Donald Budge won all 4 Majors; 1962 Rod Laver won all four, and repeated it again in 1969. So HAD Djokovic won all 4, it would have been the 4th time in the Men's game, NOT an unprecedented feat.

"Then came the Wimby final and all the tennis experts were unianmous on the choice for winner were 2 times champion Nadal. The reason was that Djoko has less experience on grass and five setter is a different ball game. But again the result was same, Djoko humbled poor Nadal and stamped his authority over no weapons Nadal and added the third slam to his kitty."

OK got better here you did, other's have previously commented on the "unanimous" (note spelling!) label, so will leave that alone! Djokovic again, was truly amazing in his execution and again, showed that he is indeed, "in Nadal's head." So more good stuff from you here again.

"US open finals and Nadal fans were still hopeful that Rafa will be able to change the script and beat Novak to win his 11th slam. But by now, Djoko had created serious doubts in Nadal's and his teams mind that beating Novak is impossible. So when during the third set Nadal fas were sensing a come back, Djoko using an old trick of Nadal (mto) turned the tables on Nadal and entered his name into the book of tennis greats."

When Nadal lost that set to Murray, I remember thinking, I hope that doesn't cost him down the road. With the scheduling, it may well have done so. Nadal had begun to take the momentum from Djokovic, and with winning that third set, I did, think Nadal would take it in five; he seemed fine. That delay, and I have no problem with that at all, then appeared to see aphysically shattered Nadal come back out, and Djokovic to his credit did what he had to do, with his then-physical limitations, to win the match, and bloody good job too. That set v Murray - would it have been the difference? Maybe...but Djokovic's 2011 stands with 3 Major singles titles, slew of other titles, and will take some doing to repeat.

But there we come back full circle to Nadal's 2010, and having to repeat that. Now it is Djokovic's turn, mind you though, prior to Nadal's 3 Major season, he'd already won 7 Majors; Djokovic, only 1 Major prior.

So we'll see how it all pans out in 2012, how Djokovic deals with having the pressure to win every match, maintain his ranking points, deal with his body's need to back up the physically demanding style of his play (those groins, never mind the back!).

I genuinely wish him well, but as far as Nadal retiring? World No 2, 10 finals this year, and 6 of those lost to one player only, yeah, don't see it happening just yet. Would be good to see them meet at Aussie and French this year, but no doubt, they'll have a few good bashes in 2012, don't count Nadal out just yet. Djokovic has put on some "big shoes" this year, and we've yet to see how comfortably he "wears" them with passing time.

Roll on 2012!

so its not just the tennis section, where he's made an outrageous comment.

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

When will Djokovic retire ?
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Sun 30 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:It was an insult to tennis watching fraternity that no weapn nadal was ocupying the no. 1 rank in the world.
Out of his 10 slams, 6 have come on clay. Had there been no FO, nadal slams count like this 1 AO, 2 Wimby and 1 USO.
Nadal has never defended a title outside clay that shows that he cannot really play outside clay. Djoko has saved the tennis world and it is good to see that someone can negate the one dimensional game Nadal plays.
Well to retire was just to write another post on the lines of when fed will retire. It will be good to see Nadal play for some more time and Djoko to come better than him all the time.

How many titles has Djokovc defended anywhere? Not many from memory, Dubai and Beijing come to mind. Not many away from hard courts...

Perhaps Djokovic being #1 is also an affront to the tennis watching fraternity?

When will you retire as a poster?

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

Isn't it a bit early for an April Fools, joke of the day thread ?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 30 Oct 2011, 2:19 pm

DiiNh...

If your agenda is to denigrate Nadal, it makes no sense. he has been in several finals and beaten by the Djokovic who is playing Tennis from a different planet.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Rafael-Nadal.aspx?t=tf

Apart from Nadal, no one has even come close to Djokovic (except Federer - USO and FO 2011 and Murray - Rome 2011).

Perhaps you should wait till 2012 to predict Nadal's decline. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Oct 2011, 2:29 pm

I was once told that if a weed grows in your garden it is best not to water it. This is the second such article from the OP. One would at least hope that in future the OP aimed to sweeten it with a little wit and humour.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 31 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

The Day he gets bored of tennis, he won't retire for critics if tats the case he would have retired long time back. I am no Nadal fan, but he given Tennis a lot of things, critics has made him stronger over years, and now the critics have gotten stronger in 2011 so I see even more tougher Nadal for 2012, lets wait only time will answer.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 03 Nov 2011, 5:06 pm

Djokovic has far too much guile, movement, steady aggresion, confidence, temperament, balls and of course intelligence for Nadal to ever retain an upper hand over him. Nadal is not a player I would ever count out, given his comeback from 09 to 10. But he won't be able to beat this level of Nole should they meet next year. Either Del Potro, Tomic or Federer will be Nole's main rivals in the slams next yr.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down