The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has the better career Hopkins or Roy jones

+2
AlexHuckerby
lovely_london
6 posters

Go down

Who has the better career Hopkins or Roy jones Empty Who has the better career Hopkins or Roy jones

Post by lovely_london Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 am

Who do you think has had the better boxing career?

In my opinion it is Hopkins. Jones was the better boxer in their prime but age caught up with him badly. i feel that Hopkins has managed to keep boxing quite well into his late 40's (still the Champion). Jones lost his skills when he basically hit his 30's.

I feel that when judging a boxers career you have to look at the whole career and not just their prime and so that is why i picked Hopkins.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Who has the better career Hopkins or Roy jones Empty Re: Who has the better career Hopkins or Roy jones

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:27 am

hopkins overall will explain why later

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Who has the better career Hopkins or Roy jones Empty Re: Who has the better career Hopkins or Roy jones

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 am

Already done by yours truly! Take this as a reference note if you want, mate.

https://www.606v2.com/t7569-my-roy-jones-and-bernard-hopkins-conundrum

Hopkins for me, too; though by a smaller margin than I used to think. I'd go along with the general idea that Jones was the more gifted and hit heights, when at his best, which Hopkins has never been capable of, but that Hopkins has perhaps proven a little more and has slowly built a better resumé over time.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:12 am

Hopkins in terms of longevity, Jones in terms of x-factor (no, not the 'singing' competition) and talent.

Jones star burnt fast and bright, whereas that of Hopkins is pretty dull but has long-life.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 am

In fairness Fists, I wouldn't necessarily say that Jones' star burned 'fast'; his days as a world champion spanned from 1993 to 2004, pretty good going by anyone's standards, really. Just that in this case, he's being compared to an absolute freak of nature in Hopkins!

As I said originally in the article I did on the pair of them, I think Jones has more 'highs' than Hopkins, but Hopkins has far fewer real 'lows.' The difficult thing is deciding how much those low points count against Jones, given that he was knocking on a little in years for a few of them. He was totally dominant for about a decade in a way which Hopkins has never been, but Hopkins has, eventually, compiled a record to match Jones' and (so far) has done it without being ignominiously hammered the way Jones has been - although if Hopkins carries on long enough, that day will eventually come to him, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 pm

Jones was the better fighter and achieved greater things than just being at the top for a long time. A man of his natural size winning a heavyweight title no matter how good the deposed Champion may be is an incredibly achievement and almost unmatched in history, nothing on Hopkins record comes even close to it for my money.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 pm

I actually swing back and forth on this one. Its probably not the best time to judge. Jones is getting slapped silly by mediocrity while Hopkins sets unprecedented age records.

However when the dust finally settles of both careers I think Jones demise will count for a lot less and maybe Hopkins beating good but not particularly great fighters like Pavlik and Pascal well into his forties may also not cause quite the hysteria in the future.

I think it will be very close.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWnMXzgeZo

Must say Roy Jones was so good in his prime

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down