The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detroit mouthing off about Tebow....

+6
Derbyblue
thunder and lightning
BamBam
GB1919
RDuncan8
Number-25
10 posters

Go down

Detroit mouthing off about Tebow.... Empty Detroit mouthing off about Tebow....

Post by Number-25 Mon 31 Oct 2011, 5:22 pm

...... I don't like it! If there was one team that you'd have thought had learned a little bit about humility over the years then it would have been Detroit. The only team in the NFL to hold the embarrassing distinction of having recorded an 0-16 record have no right in my opinion to be mouthing off about another team or individual's shortcomings until they themselves have at least achieved something of note. What have they got? A 6-2 record? Please! All that adds up to is one tiny little step along the road of gaining some kind of NFL respectability. Time they wound their necks in a bit and concentrated on their own house instead of mouthing off about a young QB trying to make his way in the game. I had been kinda rooting for the Lions this year too.... can't wait to see Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the Pack put them back in their place now.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Detroit mouthing off about Tebow.... Empty Re: Detroit mouthing off about Tebow....

Post by RDuncan8 Mon 31 Oct 2011, 6:20 pm

spot on

RDuncan8

Back to top Go down

Detroit mouthing off about Tebow.... Empty Re: Detroit mouthing off about Tebow....

Post by GB1919 Mon 31 Oct 2011, 7:43 pm

I hadn't seen the comments, although I now have, but even during the game they were classless. All the posing and imitating of Tebow during the game after they made big plays was ridiculous. As much as I don't like the guy because of the way he plays Tebow hasn't done much himself to bring all the media attention that he gets. What the Lions guys were doing whilst in the middle of the game stank and showed a lack of commitment to playing rather than getting noticed. Add that to the way Schwartz reacted and then moaned with the handshake scuffle and my opinion of the Lions as an organisation has plummeted over the last few weeks.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 31 Oct 2011, 8:19 pm

I watched most of the game, and I have to agree that I didn't like their impressions of Tebow, pretty uncalled for behaviour.

The comments supposedly made by Lions players seem to have been blown slightly out of proportion. There were only 2 quotes which have been directly attributed to players, and they don't seem too controversial.

Cliff Avril: "As long as he felt our pressure, he was going to make crazy decisions."

Chris Houston: "He's an athlete. He's no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or no Michael Vick or none of that," Houston said, according to The Denver Post. "He's got a long ways to go as far as being a quarterback."

Neither of those seems too bad, both could be in response to a question about Tebow's performance, and as a player in general.

The quote supposedly calling Tebow a joke comes from an "unnamed Lions defender" and I am always pretty sceptical about any anonymous quotes

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by thunder and lightning Mon 31 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

I've no problem with the Lion's comments really. Tebow is not an nfl quaterback, it takes him something like 8 seconds to get the ball out on average with like a 3 second cartoon style wind up, you give a defence 8 seconds to get to you then it does become a joke for them.

I was getting pretty sick of all the Tebow articles that popped up over the last couple of weeks, especially after the win in Miami (good job scraping an OT win again an 0-7 team team thumbsup ). Now obviously I'm not saying that's Tebow's fault, its the media that need to try and keep us amused throughout the week, but even so, I was quite dissapointed with how the Broncos dealt with Dave Gr ..... Kyle Orton, so am glad to see them come back down with a bump.

The Tebow impressions were a bit out of order though I have to say.

thunder and lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:43 pm

I don't see too much of a problem with it, sure it could be seen as disrespectful for them to do the #Tebowing pose when they make a big play against him, but surely from the second he realised it was becoming a trend he should have known that at least one defender somewhere in the league was going to do it.

As for the comments bambamwillis quoted what's the problem? If they were sat in an NFL network studio they would be able to pick his performance apart and get paid for it, effectively all Cliff Avril said was "This was our gameplan, it worked." Also what Chris Houston said is true, would anyone really compare Tebow after 5 NFL starts to Manning, Brady or Vick? I've read articles saying he should become a Running Back, and I would guess I'm not the only one who has seen them, he really does have a long way to go before anyone will consider him as good as Manning, Brady or Vick.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm

The other comment that has been reported although in fairness, unattributed, is that the they found dominating Tebow boring. With respect to what Bambam said about unattributed comments I would imagine there are quite a few Lions fans worried by a comment like that.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:03 am

I agree that there probably isn't so much wrong with the comments that Bambam mentioned however it's the other "unattributed" one that I thought was really out of line. I could understand it if Tebow had been mouthing off himself about how good he was but he hasn't been. There's no need to mock the guy. I love a bit of trash talk but if the unattributed comment is for real then that's not classy. I suppose we should maybe give the Lions a pass though seeing as they're not used to winnin......

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

I agree, poor.
25 makes a good point, having been the laughing stock of the league for as long as I can remember a little humility now they actually have some talent wouldn't go a miss.
The Schwartz incident a couple of weeks back, Suh's late/low hit record, the whole 'goading' at Matt Ryan when on the floor injured, now this, it all points to a very recent change in attitude.
Take a leaf out of the Packers - no team is better than them yet they go about their business in a professional way and rarely show any disrespect for their opponents, in fact quite the reverse.

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Tue 01 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

I agree, way out of line.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 01 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

Gotta agree. Personally, I think that many of the Lions are completely classless. All of the fuss after the Falcons game, the dirty tackles by Suh and Co and now this. As 25 said earlier, they ought to actually be successfull before mouthing off about opponents.

It's fair enough us saying that Tebow has a long way to go, but professionals should have respect for their opponents.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Wed 02 Nov 2011, 8:29 am

Agree with just about everyone else on here
For a team that has had so many losing seasons a little humility would help
Also agree with the comments about the Packers winning with a bit of class & respect to the opposition
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm

I'm surprised everyone is so down on them over Tebow, the only one I have an issue with is the unnamed Lions player who called him a joke.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 03 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm

I just think that, considering how much these guys are paid, they should have respect for their opponents. The reports of Suh and Avril taunting Matt Ryan when he was down on the deck injured are disgusting.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 03 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

Pr4wn wrote:The reports of Suh and Avril taunting Matt Ryan when he was down on the deck injured are disgusting.
Exactly the "reports", which both Suh and Avril have denied. Also I'll quote what Antonio Pierce has said in a video I've just watched after being asked something close to the lines of "Trash talking happens but where's the line?" his reply "I don't think there is a line, I said a lot of things out there too, I regret it maybe later, but at the time you get caught up in the heat of the moment (....) The only problem I do have is if he did say those things about "get the cart" "get him out of here" maybe that's the line you're talking about drawing but besides that we're grown men, if you can't take the heat." Isn't that the issue here "IF he said those things", also having just rewatched highlights from that Lions vs Falcons game I don't see a point where they would have been able to kick Ryan's feet as claimed by Falcons players, anyone else think that part of your job as D-linemen is to make QB's scared of you and trash talk is just a small piece of that?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm

He apparently motioned as if to kick at his feet.

I really don't see why multiple Falcons players would have made that up...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:08 pm

That's the thing, why (and I suppose how) would they even bother to make this up. It's not as though there is a benefit to the Falcons in saying that Suh and others were disrespectful.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:13 pm

Motioned as if to kick at his feet what does that even mean? They just swung their legs?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm

Towards him, yes. While saying things like "Get the cart" etc.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:47 pm

Well personally I don't see it as being too disrespectful, but each to their own. If I can afford to continue playing I'll see if I get riled up if I experience this while playing and I may change my opinion, but for now it seems fine to me, anyone think that maybe the change in attitude could have been something which has helped them?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 04 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

Sapp tells Suh to "Shut up". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823c43f1/article/sapp-tired-of-he-said-she-said-between-suh-falcons?module=HP11_headline_stack

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down