The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim Mallinder declares interest in the England job

+6
flankertye
formerly known as Sam
Dr Phibes
Metal Tiger
doctor_grey
leachy15
10 posters

Go down

Jim Mallinder declares interest in the England job Empty Jim Mallinder declares interest in the England job

Post by leachy15 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:23 am

BBC Sport Website:

Spoiler:

I think this would be a great move not only for him but also for English Rugby. I think Mallinder as head coach and Henry as team manager (Rob Andrews role) would make a great team.

Think England might even clear a few rucks or two and give our backs quick ball!!

BBC news article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15533869.stm

leachy15

Back to top Go down

Jim Mallinder declares interest in the England job Empty Re: Jim Mallinder declares interest in the England job

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:58 am

Yeah, the man has future England coach written all over him.
But not yet. Not yet.
For one time, I want to see the RFU, or whatever is left there, to not act with a knee-jerk reaction. Just once, I want to see a calm steadying approach.
Mallinder may be the future, and he looks like he has the goods. Give him time. He was mooted as a possible England coach back when he took the Saints position. So, the future is still his.

But, if a knee-jerk reaction is in the cards, then why not bring in Cockers? He will light a candle under the backsides of the players.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Jim Mallinder declares interest in the England job Empty Re: Jim Mallinder declares interest in the England job

Post by Metal Tiger Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:03 am

I'm interested in the job too.

But I think there is only one possible option, the final solution for England.

Manager - Hersh
Offensive Coach - TheGreyGhost
Equally Offensive Coach - Viewtothegym

How could we possibly lose a game ever again!
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Phibes Tue 01 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

Cockers is perhaps an option. Whilst Leicester certainly havent struggled with him in charge, by Tigers' standards, they've fallen short on a few occasions.

This season has got off to a poor start, if the poor form continues, and by that I would suggest that means not reaching a play-off spot, then Cockers may well be looking for a job. Mallinder is in a similar position. However, if both teams perform come the end of the season, there could be no possible reason why either man would be in a hurry to work for the RFU.

Frankly, the RFU is the core problem and until that's sorted out, whoever takes up the role of England Manager will be on a hiding to nothing, forget the coaching staff for now, the RFU clean out should be a priority.

Dr Phibes

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

This season has got off to a poor start, if the poor form continues

Since the internationals returned to the first team there has been back to back bonus point wins. Not sure you can call that poor form. The start to the season was certainly rubbish but Tigers were missing 15+ players at some points as many as 21. Under Cockerill Tigers have played a much more fluent attacking game and had very good set pieces. He would need a very good defence coach though as the defensive organisation at Tigers is the only weakness there.

Mallinder and West would step up well to the England set up and know a good number of the current first team having worked with them in the Saxons set up.

If Johnno really has to go (I'm not sure he should) then I'd want;

Jim Mallinder (head coach)
Dorian West (forwards coach)
Graham Rowntree (scrum coach)
Phil Gustard (defence coach)

Preferabley leaving Tigers unhindered for once.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:14 am

I personally want to see MJ stay in the role.

But I do like Sams list of coaches for his coaching team.

Martin Johnson (Manager)
Jim Mallinder (head coach)
Dorian West (forwards coach)
Graham Rowntree (scrum coach)
Phil Gustard (defence coach)
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Phibes Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:19 am

I think you could quite successfully argue that two swallows don't make a summer, it remains to be seen if the opening run of the season has been turned around quite yet. Although it has been encouraging.

Dr Phibes

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 12:08 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:I'm interested in the job too.

But I think there is only one possible option, the final solution for England.

Manager - Hersh
Offensive Coach - TheGreyGhost
Equally Offensive Coach - Viewtothegym

How could we possibly lose a game ever again!
No that is truly funny. Good stuff.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm

True Dr but the early season losses were expected here in Leicestershire. We knew the squad would be down to the bare bones and would struggle early doors against teams who were no where near as badly effected. Of course no one expected the blooming injuries to mount up like they have but you can't predict these things. As long as the improvements keep coming and we get another win at home this weekend and then a couple more in the HEC Cockers will be fine.

You wouldn't have sent Johnno to the RWC with the Saxons squad and then complained if he lost would you. Same sitaution at Tigers, the Leicester 2nd/3rd team is playing the 1st/2nd team of most others and losing it's hardly a suprise. Tigers can't simply use their financial muscle to buy a massive squad as the wage cap gets in the way.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

Dr Phibes wrote:Frankly, the RFU is the core problem and until that's sorted out, whoever takes up the role of England Manager will be on a hiding to nothing, forget the coaching staff for now, the RFU clean out should be a priority.
On this we agree completely. I think MJ should stay because I don't think the middle and bottom levels can be dealt with until the top is fixed first.

Looking at Mallinder and Cockers, it could be argued that Mallinder has the better temperment to lead England. Cockers would also lead quite well, but is a tick more volatile than Mallinder, which might not work well in the England rugby cauldron. But both men lead successful clubs. Both clubs had a poor start during the RWC. And, I believe both will be pushing for top 4 honours before too long. Seems both men deliver results........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Tue 01 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

Mallinder is a great coach, one day he will end up coaching the side. But I don't think he'll get the chance this season.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:55 pm

laughing im truly touched by the honourable mention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:09 pm

Now for my two pence worth on the subject,
Mallinder is a good coach and seems to have the mature calm head needed for International rugby,but he needs a season or two more at Premiership level because not long ago Toby booth was tipped for the England job but as proven he don't look anywhere near ready,
so two more seasons would still give a good time to come in before the World Cup.
Then there is the Circus know as the RFU, would Mallinder be wise to get involved with the England set up until they sort out themselves first?
He should stay clear until these clowns are kicked out because everthing they touch turns to sh.it!
It would be a shame to spoil a good coach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

Now for my offensive comment,i would hate to let the side down---
No matter who comes in to coach England they will struggle because you can't polish a turd!

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Now for my offensive comment,i would hate to let the side down---
No matter who comes in to coach England they will struggle because you can't polish a turd!

Broken Record

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:26 am

viewtothegym wrote:Now for my offensive comment,i would hate to let the side down---

Warren Gatland hasn'nt doen to bad with WALES now has he? Hug

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm

Sorry to be pedantic Sam but the name of Saracen's defence coach and former Tiger is Paul Gustard not Phil.

Your coaching setup in my opinion sends off the wrong signals.

I would like to see outsiders, certainly not see the English management dominated by one or two clubs.

I am surprised Mallinder is called a great coach when the only silverware to his name is an Amlin Challenge Cup. Undoubtedly he is good but great? Nope not yet. Let's see him win some proper silverware first.

Shame about Dean Richards....He was an excellent coach but....not after....

How about

Graham Henry - Team Manager
Jake White/Nick Mallet - Head Coach
Paul Gustard - Forwards
Mike Catt - Backs
Shaun Edwards - Defence

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:00 pm

Can anyone really see Edwards leaving Wales....i cant, as much as i would love to see him put some agression and fire in our players......

I think Johno will be there...but we HAVE to lose the a few others.

Joint Team Manager / Head Coach - Jake White / Martin Johnson
Forwards - Dorian West
Backs - Mike Catt
Defence - Shaun Edwards (i hope so but not holding my breath. )

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

Sorry to be pedantic Sam but the name of Saracen's defence coach and former Tiger is Paul Gustard not Phil.

Doh

would like to see outsiders, certainly not see the English management dominated by one or two clubs.

The coaches were selected on the basis that they had worked together before in the case of West and Mallinder, also with the Saxons a good chunk of whom are now in the first team. Gustard being the pick of the AP defence coaches (I see no reason to combine him and Edwards, that's just doubling up on the coaching) he also has the advantage of knowing Rowntree and West. Rowntree has played with two of the other coaches and is already settled in the set up and has done a decent job.

I can't see Mallinder working under Johnno. I also don't really see the point in approaching a number of foreign coaches, you either select one and allow him to bring in his culture and way of doing things as a breath of fresh air or you hand over the job to another Englishman and let them get on with it. Bringing in several foreign head coaches/team managers etc is only likely to muddy the water and stop a concise ethos being adopted. We already have too many coaches pulling in different directions attempting to play in different styles.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down